• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Jasoco

Banned
omgkitty said:
For the most part, isn't the pro only as thick as it is because of the disc drive inside? Those require a decent amount of space.
Yeah, but if they got rid of the DVD drive and replaced the HDD with a SSD like the Air, it would just be another Air. But it would have to be more expensive than the Pro's are now because the SSD is expensive. So it would end up bumping up the price for the more powerful "Air Pro". And if they keep the optical drive and HDD slot just to keep it Pro, then it's not an Air, and can't really get much thinner. I can see them replacing the HDD with a smaller iPod/first generation Air style HDD option and dropping the optical, because they're gonna do it whether people like it or not, the question is when. Also, I wouldn't want one of these because I want the super fast optimized Air with the SSD and RAM directly connected to the logic board for super speed. A HDD would defeat the purpose and a SSD replacement would just push the price up.

See, it's all the SSD's fault. That's what keeps the price so high. And the reason iDevices still have low storage amounts on the low end. SSD is fucking expensive. Can't believe it still hasn't dropped like a rock yet.

When SSD itself, like say a 256GB chip amount comes down to $100 alone, Apple's prices will have to drop for Air's and Pro's will probably gain them standard. But right now the chips are waaaay too much. And it sucks. But fuck, it's fast. I keep hoping a breakthrough will happen and prices will drop into the ground, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure everyone is.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Jimmy Stav said:
Does the fact that the RAM and the SSD are connected to the logic board make an actual difference in speed? That's neat, if so.
it's the same interface as a 2.5 and 3.5 HDD, only with a smaller connector. it's SATA vs. micro-SATA. the speed will be bound by the SATA controller on the board.

scorcho said:
it's the same interface as a 2.5 and 3.5 HDD, only with a smaller connector. it's SATA vs. micro-SATA. the speed will be bound by the SATA controller on the board.

Wait, so is it faster or not? (I'm sorry)

Jasoco

Banned
Steve said it was, so it must be true! lololol

Anyway, jokes aside, does anyone have a simpler solution to my Bootcamp problem above or should I just go ahead and reinstall Windows all together?

coldvein said:
YOU PEOPLE ARE NOT HELPFUL
Well what are your needs?

I would go with the 13" air over the pro if only because of the shitty screen resolution of the 13" pro. Also the SSD is a big improvement.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, the Pro still has the older resolution. It will probably be updated with the next version, but A) no one knows when and B) they didn't update it last time which was still after the Air came out with it so there's no guarantee. I personally am getting an Air. But remember it's slower. Not slow. Just not as fast as the Pro. And there's no optical drive, in case you are one of those people who needs one.

It's really your choice. Both models are the correct choice as long as it fits your needs. The Air's are amazing. The Pro's can do more stuff. If you get a Pro, you can put an SSD in and max out the RAM and get the speed too, but then you end up paying more anyway. Also remember the Air only goes up to 4GB RAM (Damn them for not getting 8GB sticks down in price. Same with SSD.) but it shouldn't matter for most people as 4GB is more than enough. It's the SSD that makes the difference.

I currently have a 13" Pro from 2010. It's still Core2Duo (Because it refuses to evolve overnight, I'm beginning to think it might be a C2D forever. /jokey sarcasm) but it has a 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM. Without those, it is relatively slow. The SSD makes a HUGE difference. It's really the speed = more money conundrum. But the speed is worth it. Totally. My drive was $200+ I think for just the 128 and it's still slower than the one in the Air. And RAM is cheap.

So think of your needs. Power vs. portability and speed. Not that the Pro is slow. It has a faster i5 in it than the Air does. But it also has a HDD which does make an impact on loading times for everything. On a SSD, apps load super fast. Even Photoshop which takes a whole 3 seconds to load on my machine.

Chris R

Bboy AJ said:
What powerful CPU?

The graphics card is an issue. Expandable RAM isn't a big deal.
The Pro CPU is more powerful than the Air CPU by quite a margin.

Though in the future that doesn't seem to be a big issue with everything going ULV :(

Pringler

I just came here to praise my Macbook Air. The best Mac hardware I've ever owned. Love it so much.

Regular 13,3" Model. SSD is so awesome. Only gripe is that 128GB is a little bit on the low end. But I'll make it work :)

Also I just got my Synology NAS to work as a Wireless Time Machine. So cool.

Now I'm just waiting for the iPhone 5.

mba.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Getting a high end 15 inch mbp. The 1,999 model. Decided to get that over an air. Did not want integrated video.

5 Years ago I bought the equivalent model at that time. It is still kicking. Going to retire it soon. Can't wait to be up to date.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
MThanded said:
Getting a high end 15 inch mbp. The 1,999 model. Decided to get that over an air. Did not want integrated video.
you'll love integrated video when on battery, believe me. also, i'd hold off for a few months for Ivy Bridge to come out. slightly faster cpu performance and much faster integrated video in a smaller TDP envelope. this should solve the heating issues that some people have with their 2011 MBPs.

As much as I'm loving the new MBA (and this may have to do with the fact that I haven't actually used my MBP speakers in years), the onboard audio is pretty terrible. I understand why this is the case, but are these speakers thought to be particularly shitty? Thankfully, I have speakers/headphones, so it isn't ever going to be a real issue.

MThanded

scorcho said:
you'll love integrated video when on battery, believe me. also, i'd hold off for a few months for Ivy Bridge to come out. slightly faster cpu performance and much faster integrated video in a smaller TDP envelope. this should solve the heating issues that some people have with their 2011 MBPs.
I meant to say I did not want an apple laptop with integrated video being the only choice.

I was going to wait but I'm tired of waiting. My MBP is a core duo(not a 2). Cant even update to lion. I am read to move on.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I bought one of the first gen MBPs. The coreduo one. But my house got broken into and it was stolen amongst a ton of other stuff. By the time renters insurance or whatever cut me a check and I got around to replacing it the core2duo revision was out. I was so mad at the time, but kinda thankful for it now.

Pringler said:
I just came here to praise my Macbook Air. The best Mac hardware I've ever owned. Love it so much.

Regular 13,3" Model. SSD is so awesome. Only gripe is that 128GB is a little bit on the low end. But I'll make it work :)

Also I just got my Synology NAS to work as a Wireless Time Machine. So cool.

Now I'm just waiting for the iPhone 5.

This! Have had mine (same basic 13" model) for about a month now. I'm still floored by how light and comfortable it is to use, and the display is magnificent.

I guess I'll also echo the MBA love, as its lightness is still a novelty. Just this morning I picked it up with one hand and turned it to show someone something on my screen. Upon realizing I was propping the entire thing up with my finger tips, I thought: "holy shit."

Pringler

Brother Sport said:
This! Have had mine (same basic 13" model) for about a month now. I'm still floored by how light and comfortable it is to use, and the display is magnificent.

I owned the early 2011 13" MBP and I got rid of it after seeing how much nicer 1440x900 is than the 1280x800 resolution. And have never regretted my choice.

And another thing is that the MBA is virtually mute when surfing the web or working with MS Office. No harddrive spinning and making vibration or noise.

Pringler said:
I owned the early 2011 13" MBP and I got rid of it after seeing how much nicer 1440x900 is than the 1280x800 resolution. And have never regretted my choice.

And another thing is that the MBA is virtually mute when surfing the web or working with MS Office. No harddrive spinning and making vibration or noise.
This is my favorite part. SSD is like a revelation - apps open near instantly, start-up times are minimal, and no more annoying whirring noises. I hope prices go down and sizes go up so they can come standard on the MBP and more people can experience the wonder.

LeleSocho

Banned
Hi mac-gaf i have a really annoying problem with my macbook, when i open it at more of 70° the screen simply shut down so I've decided to open it to see if there is something wrong doesn't seem so after I've closed it fortunately i was able to open it at almost 90° but few hours later again at 70° shows the problem...
so... anyone know where is the display connector in the mobo of an early 2009 white macbook?

TUSR

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
This is my favorite part. SSD is like a revelation - apps open near instantly, start-up times are minimal, and no more annoying whirring noises. I hope prices go down and sizes go up so they can come standard on the MBP and more people can experience the wonder.

My dad is borrowing a laptop from work which happens to be:

Current MacBook Pro model
17" screen
8 GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
512 GB SSD
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

Its unreal how much of a difference the SSD makes in start up times and opening times. Ill have to time more application like Final Cut X and others. But from being off, it takes under 15-10 seconds (some variation) to boot up.

MThanded

I decided to hold off on getting the mbp. There are rumors of a refresh coming at the end of the month.

alterno69

Banned
Soooo, i bought the 27" iMac, base model, to go along my 2009 MacBook Pro. Still installing Lion and some of my software but man is it sexy.

Anyway, is this at least decent for any modern games? I didn`t get it with games in mind but if it runs some decently i might get a couple. I mean retail games not Angry birds type stuff.

LCfiner

alterno69 said:
Soooo, i bought the 27" iMac, base model, to go along my 2009 MacBook Pro. Still installing Lion and some of my software but man is it sexy.

Anyway, is this at least decent for any modern games? I didn`t get it with games in mind but if it runs some decently i might get a couple. I mean retail games not Angry birds type stuff.

I can run pretty much anything that interests me with the 3 year old 4850m in the 2009 iMac

it played Portal 2 at a smooth 30 fps at native res and nearly 60 fps when dropped down to 1080p.

Assassin’s Creed 2 runs at a smooth 30 fps at 1080p. Civ V runs around the same or a bit slower but still OK.

Two Worlds 2 runs great. those are all Mac native.

you’ll be fine. open up steam or the app store and see what’s out there that catches your eye. (or starcraft 2, which isn’t on either service but plays well on the Mac)

and don’t be afraid to run bootcamp to get full windows compatibility with games.
(or to lower the res to 1080p for a few really demanding games. it’ll still look good )

alterno69

Banned
I'm installing bootcamp to run a couple of apps anyway but thanks alot, nice to know i can run a couple of games, it's a nice plus.

Chris R

MThanded said:
I decided to hold off on getting the mbp. There are rumors of a refresh coming at the end of the month.
If it comes it is just going to be a CPU bump.

Though I'd love to see a better GPU in a MBP.

I've been noticing an odd delay when bringing my MBA back from sleep. The display will come back, but there will be a moment's hesitation where I can't move the cursor and the clock will appear to "catch up" to the current time. It isn't a huge hindrance to my life or anything, but I still want to figure out why this is happening.

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
MThanded said:
If it comes it is just going to be a CPU bump.

Though I'd love to see a better GPU in a MBP.
Most people would love to see a total overhaul of the Pro complete with thinner enclosure and possible dropping of the optical drive on the low-end 13, if not a total drop of the 13 itself to be replaced with the Air.

I believe this is where Apple will move eventually, but I don't know if it'll be this year.

Therefore I will be getting my 13" Air as soon as I can afford it. And if the Pro and Air lines somehow merge or become more streamlined in the next few years, and they will, then I will have an even better machine next time. For now, I can't wait to get my Air.

Jimmy Stav said:
I've been noticing an odd delay when bringing my MBA back from sleep. The display will come back, but there will be a moment's hesitation where I can't move the cursor and the clock will appear to "catch up" to the current time. It isn't a huge hindrance to my life or anything, but I still want to figure out why this is happening.
Same here. It's quite annoying, especially the frozen cursor thing. 10.7.2 can't come soon enough.

I can't close tabs in Safari unless I right click, sleep mode's acting up, people are experiencing sluggish animations in Mission Control, I still get glitches in Full Screen mode at least once a day...but I'm still in love <3 MacBook Air

Leona Lewis said:
Same here. It's quite annoying, especially the frozen cursor thing. 10.7.2 can't come soon enough.

I can't close tabs in Safari unless I right click, sleep mode's acting up, people are experiencing sluggish animations in Mission Control, I still get glitches in Full Screen mode at least once a day...but I'm still in love <3 MacBook Air

I'm glad I'm not the only one. My sluggish animations seemed to have mysteriously gone away, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jimmy Stav: Same about the MBA sleep issue. In fact, sometimes it won't wake up from sleep at all. Ridiculous.

If anyone else has the newest iMac, and wants to get more out of your GPU (for gaming) it's fairly easy to overclock. The 5FPS gain I get in hardcore games is definitely worth it, plus the increased fan speeds actually keep it cooler than the stock clocks. Love my iMac ;)

LiveFromKyoto said:
I've been waiting to jump on this refresh forever and if that rumour turns out to be true I'll have to hold off for yet another one :(
The "good" refresh will be next year, when Ivy Bridge hits.

JTran2003

Tedesco! said:
I finally got my new comp at work....

Finally got mine at work as well. Nothing special like yours though but its nice to play around with especially since I am not familiar with them. Any cool things to recommend or that I need to know?

Tedesco!

JTran2003 said:
Finally got mine at work as well. Nothing special like yours though but its nice to play around with especially since I am not familiar with them. Any cool things to recommend or that I need to know?

It all depends on what you plan to do with your computer.....

Karud

MThanded said:

5 Years ago I bought the equivalent model at that time. It is still kicking. Going to retire it soon. Can't wait to be up to date.

This. At the moment I use my MBP 15" Late 2006. It's running Lion pretty well and I upgraded to 3GB (max.) RAM. Superdrive doesn't work anymore and I needed to replace the battery twice. I hope the next MBP is worth it.

Tedesco!

Squire Felix said:
So why did they give you 1333mhz ram when 1600 is plentiful these days?

Part of it was to future proof, part of it was because I wanted to load it up with everything. It might be overkill, but previous to this machine; all editing was done on an '05 iMac.

Dosia

My gf has a Mac and I have never used one so maybe I can get some help here. She is running OS X and is having an issue opening various applications and images. When she tries to view pictures she gets the message that the files are currently in use by MAC OS X. We ran the repair permissions utility but thats about it. Has anyone encountered this issue before?

TUSR

Banned
Tedesco! said:
Part of it was to future proof, part of it was because I wanted to load it up with everything. It might be overkill, but previous to this machine; all editing was done on an '05 iMac.
I just found it weird that you would get dual-Hex Xeons and get slower ram.

nitpicking.

TUSR

Banned
Tedesco! said:
Eh... it still hums.
Oh I know. My dad has one of those at work for video editing and im pretty sure his has the exact same specs as yours sans hard drives.

Edit: Note: Im not saying its bad one bit. Things an absolute beast.

Do you know any programs that run dual hex processors? Does Final Cut X support that much power?

Top Bottom