• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

After all these years with Windows/Linux I decided to make the switch to Mac (MBA)

Why?

It's much easier to program on Mac because of Unix. I hated having to download all these different programs to do what I could easily do in Linux (and from what I've heard Mac) with just with a text editor and the terminal. I could have gottten another Windows machine and put Linux on it, but it's so much better to have an OS that is Linux-like and natively.

So far I love the laptop just need to get used to this chiclet keyboard which atm I despise.

gokieks

Compared to Windows, sure (though with cygwin it's not really that hard to get something comparable in Windows either), but outside of OSX/iOS development where you're required to use Mac OS, I'm not really sure how programming is easier on a Mac than on Linux or any other *nix OS. And while I love vim as much as the next guy, there are plenty of text editors out there, for all 3 OSes, which do as good or better of a job for coding with less effort to set up coding-specific functionality. And sometimes using an IDE is just unavoidable.

I love Linux, but if I had to have only one computer, it would be a Mac despite the lack of apt (Ports is OK; hate the compilation nonsense).

I purchased a MacBook Air instead of an iPad for portable computing because of vim and Photoshop.

Fuchsdh

So can someone explain to me the point of vim then?

I love that the terminal exists for tweaking options and doing simple tasks like purge, et al, but I have no desire to spend any real time within it. I certainly don't miss the endless tinkering and configuration I had to do in order to get Linux distros running the way I wanted them to.

(Watching five open software evangelists try in vain for an hour to boost Ubuntu Studio's screen resolution past 800x600 was hilarious and sad all at once.)

Hmmm, can I save my MagSafe 45W charger if the wire is about to be cut? I pulled it and it's not looking good. =(

If you don't mind cable splicing and know a thing or two about electricity. If you don't, just get a new one. Not worth the shocks or having it cut out on you when you need it.

My paragraph was mainly Mac vs Windows, since Linux is awesome in my eyes.

A quick question that I have is when installing new programs for the first time, there is always an icon on the desktop that looks like the program was mounted. I always eject them, but is that the correct thing to do? And why does it do this in the first place?

Fuchsdh

My paragraph was mainly Mac vs Windows, since Linux is awesome in my eyes.

A quick question that I have is when installing new programs for the first time, there is always an icon on the desktop that looks like the program was mounted. I always eject them, but is that the correct thing to do? And why does it do this in the first place?

Most apps come in disk images (.dmg files) which you mount like a volume. Once you've dragged the app into the Applications folder or wherever and copied it to your drive (you'll see a plus contextual icon next to your cursor), you can eject the volume and trash the .dmg file.

muddream

Banned
So where does Mac-GAF stand on the whole "Nice Monitor+Macbook vs iMac 27" debate?

The iMac screen is nicer than a nice monitor. The thunderbolt display is shit, so you're basically stuck with the 15" rMBP + monitor vs iMac + iPad/MBA. I'd say the iMac is the better choice for most people.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Laptops are the reason AppleCare is worth getting. I've had a PowerMac 7600, beige G3, Sawtooth G4, Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 and now a refurbed 2008 8-core Mac Pro. All those desktops have never had a hardware issue aside from bad RAM on some third party installs.

My MacBook had its screen start to separate, logic board failure, the old latch break, a battery fail 15 cycles in, and a damaged graphics card. Would have cost me more than I originally paid for the computer to fix, AppleCare made it free. The laptops just take more wear and tear, and I think miniaturized components are more prone to failure, hence why I decided to wait on the Rev B Mac Pros in a year or two to see how they shake out.
The sad thing is I took it into the store on its LAST DAY of its warranty to fix the cracked topcase. Didn't once occur to me to purchase AppleCare. Fortunately it made it a year and a half longer until the 2010 Pro updates so I could replace it. I always buy AC for my laptops now. Sad thing is now they never break. Go figure. (My 2010 Pro just recently left AC. I sold it to my dad when I got an Air in 2011. Still going strong. Knock on wood.)

With a 27" iMac you can get a 680MX GPU which is way better than the MBP's 650M.
I went with the 680mx for video, imaging and the odd game too.

The iMac screen is nicer than a nice monitor. The thunderbolt display is shit, so you're basically stuck with the 15" rMBP + monitor vs iMac + iPad/MBA. I'd say the iMac is the better choice for most people.
I was back and forth between the options you put forward and went with the i5 27" iMac with 680mx and iPad. I'm happy with that choice. It replaced an old white GMA MacBook that fell to pieces after 18 months, so I was loath to get another laptop.

-----------

I've had my iMac about half a year now and i'm very happy with it. For the tasks I do it has been great, and yes the screen is lovely.

One disappointment I have though has been OSX gaming. 2D stuff is fine but I've had some stark performance issues with Half Life 2 (of all games)! I've played around with graphics setting from native res to 720p, detail settings and so on. The game goes from silky smooth to slideshow at the drop of a hat it seems. I know Windows is the way to go but I don't want to pay the ridiculous price for it to play a few games. I have the current gen consoles for that and PS4 preorder too.

muddream

Banned
Just install Windows 7, OS X gaming is a clusterfuck of high prices, poor performance, poor choice and annoying mouse lag. Your 680mx can play all current gen games at nice framerates.

Deku Tree

So where does Mac-GAF stand on the whole "Nice Monitor+Macbook vs iMac 27" debate?

I have a 15" rMBP with 16GB ram connected to a Dell 27" U2713hm (which is at least as good as the monitor in the iMac). It is in total more expensive than the iMac, and possibly has worse performance. But the computer is already crazy fast for everything I do, and I can pick up the laptop to use it in another room not to mention the second screen. It also has a smaller footprint than the iMac. Love it.

tsumineko

What are your opinions... is it better to get a refurb rMBP 15 (2.3ghz, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, GT650m 1gb) now for $1819AUD, or wait until the new ones come out which will probably match the current new prices, $2500AUD?

The rumour of no GPU in the updated rMBP 15 isn't a good one...

TxdoHawk

What are your opinions... is it better to get a refurb rMBP 15 (2.3ghz, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, GT650m 1gb) now for $1819AUD, or wait until the new ones come out which will probably match the current new prices, $2500AUD?

I would think your best bet (if you can stand to wait) is to wait for the Haswell refresh. If the new one isn't to your liking, you might catch an even better deal on the outgoing model. Or maybe not. But even if such a horrible rumor came true, I doubt the existing old stock would sell out immediately, refurbs especially.

If you can wait ALWAYS wait for the new hardware, especially when dealing first gen hardware of Apple

Flek

Banned
Last I knew the Thunderbolt display, iMac and Dell 27" all used the same LG panel. That could have changed, but I'd like to see the source on one being that much better.

the dell has other problems like this strange anti glare filter which makes text and stuff fuss looking.

Iam currently looking for a new design setup and seriously can´t decide between these options:

Option1.:

27“ iMac
3,2 Ghz i5 / 8 GB Ram / 3 TB Sata / Nvida Gefore GTX 680 2GB

-- 2067 Euro

Pro.: best price / performance
Con.: Non portable

Option2.:

13“ MB Pro (non retina)
2,9 Ghz i7 / 8 GB Ram / 1 TB

--> 1407 Euro

+ Thunderbolt 27“ (879 Euro)
+ 16 GB Ram (119 Euro)
>> 2405 Euro

--------

I need them for graphic design, programming and light 3d work. I currently have a 2007 imac 21" and a 2007 macbook pro 15". And the imac seems to small and the macbook to big -_-.

---------

i just can´t decide. But i think iam going with option 2 but i want to wait for the haswell processors. But iam also seriously worried if that apple is going to drop the normal 13" (non retina MacBooks) because i fucking do need a huge as HDD and SSDs are to expensive and also i hate not beeing able to upgrade the RAM/HDD on my own.

- So what do you guys think?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I have the same long term dilemma but I'm not gonna have to make the decision for a few more months. UGH. Portability is so enticing but so is that iMac.

I'm gonna be doing it for video editing and photoshop work and plan to throw windows on whatever I get as well.

the dell has other problems like this strange anti glare filter which makes text and stuff fuss looking.

The problem with the Apple side of things is that there are actually two different panels.

Cinema Display: miniDP + 3x USB2. Can use adapters to turn miniDP into HDMI
Thunderbolt Display: 2x Thunderbolt + 3x USB2 + FW800 + Ethernet. Thunderbolt macs only - you can't connect other devices AFAIK.

While the screen looks fantastic, I must admit I'd be hesitant to throw down so much money on a panel with a) outdated ports and b) no way to use outside of my Apple devices.

muddream

Banned

Iam currently looking for a new design setup and seriously can´t decide between these options:

Option1.:

27“ iMac
3,2 Ghz i5 / 8 GB Ram / 3 TB Sata / Nvida Gefore GTX 680 2GB

-- 2067 Euro

Pro.: best price / performance
Con.: Non portable

Option2.:

13“ MB Pro (non retina)
2,9 Ghz i7 / 8 GB Ram / 1 TB

--> 1407 Euro

+ Thunderbolt 27“ (879 Euro)
+ 16 GB Ram (119 Euro)
>> 2405 Euro

--------

I need them for graphic design, programming and light 3d work. I currently have a 2007 imac 21" and a 2007 macbook pro 15". And the imac seems to small and the macbook to big -_-.

---------

i just can´t decide. But i think iam going with option 2 but i want to wait for the haswell processors. But iam also seriously worried if that apple is going to drop the normal 13" (non retina MacBooks) because i fucking do need a huge as HDD and SSDs are to expensive and also i hate not beeing able to upgrade the RAM/HDD on my own.

- So what do you guys think?

Well, one's a great all-in-one and the other is a combination of the worst, most outdated and therefore overpriced products in the Mac lineup.

If you were to skip the 680mx upgrade (which you don't need if you're viewing the HD 4000 as a serious alternative), you could get an iPad for portability for the same amount of money.

pkFG0UX.gif

Flek did say design set-up though. How effective is an iPad going to be for portable design work(graphics?).

I'm not a fan of the non-retina 13" but I am a fan of the Macbook + Monitor set-up.

SeanR1221

I always see people hate on the non-retina MBP and I don't get it. I went from a 2010 MBA to a 2012 Pro and I'm happy I switched. I loved the body of the Air, but the tiny ass HDD really turned me off. Portability wasn't even that much of an issue because for casual browsing I use my iPad.

My wife wants to dump her MacBook (last plastic version) and get a pro but is waiting for new ones. She has no interest in an Air for the same reason.

Fuchsdh

The biggest reason I hate the retina Macs is it means that Apple has essentially given up on a resolution-independent OS after all the years of teasing (since Tiger I think). For all the shortcomings I feel like that would be a much better idea than this 2X stuff.

I always see people hate on the non-retina MBP and I don't get it. I went from a 2010 MBA to a 2012 Pro and I'm happy I switched. I loved the body of the Air, but the tiny ass HDD really turned me off. Portability wasn't even that much of an issue because for casual browsing I use my iPad.

My wife wants to dump her MacBook (last plastic version) and get a pro but is waiting for new ones. She has no interest in an Air for the same reason.

It's mostly just because the pricing seems like Apple are trying to make it look like an unattractive purchase compared to the retina, to force retina adoption. You're right though, for people that care about the HDD and ability to upgrade later it's probably much more attractive.

muddream

Banned

These days you're essentially buying a low/mid-tier Windows laptop at an Apple pricepoint. Get an external HDD if you need the extra space ffs. I guess it's a great choice if you don't want a responsive OS, don't mind getting ripped off and really love Apple.

Flek

Banned
Well, one's a great all-in-one and the other is a combination of the worst, most outdated and therefore overpriced products in the Mac lineup.

If you were to skip the 680mx upgrade (which you don't need if you're viewing the HD 4000 as a serious alternative), you could get an iPad for portability for the same amount of money.

These days you're essentially buying a low/mid-tier Windows laptop at an Apple pricepoint. Get an external HDD if you need the extra space ffs. I guess it's a great choice if you don't want a responsive OS, don't mind getting ripped off and really love Apple.

What how so?

13" non retina:
13": 2,9 GHz
2,9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz Arbeitsspeicher
750 GB Festplatte mit 5400 U/Min.1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

> easy upgrade to 16 gb ram / bigger hd
1.319,71 €

13" Retina:

13": 2,6 GHz mit Retina Display
2,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz Arbeitsspeicher
256 GB Flash-Speicher1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

1.494,64 €

> same graphic card driving a higher res display = worse performance than non retina
> only ssd (=more space is expensive as fuck)
> ram not upgradable

………

so i really don´t see your point?

anyway i just "made up" a 3 option to consider:

MacBook Air, 13 Zoll,
1,3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
128 GB Flash-Speicher

and

27" iMac
2,9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor (Turbo Boost bis zu 3,6 GHz)
8 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 2x 4 GB
3 TB Serial-ATA-Festplatte mit 7200 U/Min.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB GDDR5

for a total of 2840 Euros

arg

muddream

Banned
If you're going to compare them like that, get a Windows laptop. I generally assume that Macbook buyers care about shit like screen quality, responsiveness and weight. Never mind that the technology gap will further widen following the model updates in the fall..

8 gigs of RAM will be sufficient for several years. If you can afford to blow 2.500 Euros at once, it should be within your means to buy a new Macbook every 4 or 5 years.

It's your money, but to me it seems like you're a little out of the loop and hellbent on making a bad decision.

My MBA goes to sleep randomly right after I open it from sleep mode. It's really annoying. I hope Apple fixes it with Mavericks.

Seems like lots of others have this issue as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4165133?start=0&tstart=0

Also the wallpaper gets set to the default galaxy one when waking up from sleep sometimes.

But after using this for a day, the battery life was amazing. Easily got 8 hours out of it. Such a huge change from my 6 year old laptop that when new could only last 3 hours. It's not as thin as I was expecting, and a little heavier as well. But still a great body. No regrets thus far.

tsumineko

I would think your best bet (if you can stand to wait) is to wait for the Haswell refresh. If the new one isn't to your liking, you might catch an even better deal on the outgoing model. Or maybe not. But even if such a horrible rumor came true, I doubt the existing old stock would sell out immediately, refurbs especially.

If you can wait ALWAYS wait for the new hardware, especially when dealing first gen hardware of Apple

Thank you! This will be my first Mac, so it's good to get this advice. I will wait.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I have W8 in BootCamp and the reversing of Command+R to Control+R is driving me nuts.

What is the easiest option to flip those two keys so I can use shortcuts the same way I use them in OSX?

Goldenhen

There is a strong possibility the Macbook Pro product line will be update next week on Tuesday.

So exciting to buy retina MBP ^_^ Since I'll be upgrading from early 2008 MBP.

muddream

Banned
I can't see them fitting the 15" with Iris Pro and not having a keynote with graphs about the magical revolutionary battery life.

I guess we're not getting Thunderbolt 2, either.

A refresh would be awesome, but that's a lot sooner than the "around September along with Mavericks" that people seem to be expecting. Not going to get my hopes up yet.

Pachimari

Got my charger fixed at a private person super cheap.

Anyway, I don't know where to ask this as it's Windows related and I don't wanna start up a whole new thread:

I got a Asus ZenBook laptop as a present and it came with Windows XP. I made a complete new install of Windows 7 on it and now it won't connect to my WiFi Internet. I have even tried connecting a Netgear WiFi dongle to it (which works for my Desktop Windows 8 machine) with no succes. I can't connect it through Ethernet and set up the Internet like that because it lacks such a port.

What can I do in such a case? =(

kennah

A friend of mine ran into this trouble. He updated his 2008 MacBook to Snow Leopard and his battery stopped charging. It has 1100 cycles and he refuses to believe that it was his battery dying. Has tried resetting the SMC and no change. Anyone have any ideas?

Got my charger fixed at a private person super cheap.

Anyway, I don't know where to ask this as it's Windows related and I don't wanna start up a whole new thread:

I got a Asus ZenBook laptop as a present and it came with Windows XP. I made a complete new install of Windows 7 on it and now it won't connect to my WiFi Internet. I have even tried connecting a Netgear WiFi dongle to it (which works for my Desktop Windows 8 machine) with no succes. I can't connect it through Ethernet and set up the Internet like that because it lacks such a port.

What can I do in such a case? =(

You need to download the drivers for that computer on another computer. Windows doesn't install/include everything by default

Top Bottom