• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Espresso

Banned
I have my new Pro now, very happy with it. Are there any Mac exclusive apps I should know about? I'm coming from a Windows PC. I'm a fan of things like f.lux and pocket etc.

If you're in need of a software firewall, Little Snitch is hard to beat. Some people prefer the iWork suite over Office, so there's that, too.

BuRT!

Anyone know of a region free external DVD player I can use for my iMac? I searched online but it kinda seems like you are forced to pick a region, and can switch up to 6 times.

Good money is that Haswell will largely not increase performance, but will be a battery booster.

If the new models have integrated graphics, then I'd suspect the previous gen with discrete graphics will hold a good resale value--trying to shop for a Mini I found that they were selling the 2011 discretes for just shy of $25 off the current gens.

Considering that the new MBPs were showing up in Geekbench scores a month ago, I'd say they'd be dropping in the next three or four months.
Wow, I didn't know GPU would be integrated. Would you say discretes are a must for someone doing some light video editing?

Fuchsdh

Wow, I didn't know GPU would be integrated. Would you say discretes are a must for someone doing some light video editing?

Not really. If you're using Apple software you're probably fine, especially as they have tighter integration with Grand Central Dispatch. I know at one time, some pro software simply wouldn't work unless there was a discrete GPU--these days I know Adobe's software requires a pretty small set of workstation-level cards for GPU and OpenCL acceleration. http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.html

The Iris integrated graphics we've been hearing about seem like they're the first generation to really give discrete graphics a run for their money, so I imagine for most consumer-level tasks you won't notice too much of a difference.

Short answer: maybe, depends on what software you're using and what the actual real-world performance of Iris turns out to be (this is all still based on the 50-50 chance they make all the MBPs go integrated; I imagine they'd still offer BTO options though.)

Gorgon

I feel the haswell processors are a significant boost fur laptops. It wound bug me to get a mbp knowing that haswell is just around the corner.

Unfortunately that's what I'll have to do. As I said some pages ago, a friend of mine is going to the US later this month (I live in Europe) and will bring me a MacBook. The prices in the US are dirty cheap compared to here in Europe (except the UK, where they are acceptable, but I don't live there). I was going for a Air 13'' with 8GB of ram, 256GB SSD and the i7, but I just realized I can't order it to a store for my frined to pick up while there for 2 days in New York because I need to make the order with an US card.

Bottom line: this is going to be my new computer for the next 4-5 years and 4 GB of ram is out of teh question. I need to buy a computer that my friend can pick up at the store in stock and unfortunately all the 13'' Air models have only 4GB. So I have to settle for a 13'' Pro even though the updated ones are just around the corner. The difference in price is huge: about 500 euros less for a Pro in the US! So If I want 8GB to be safe for the next 4-5 years this is my only choice. At least the price is substantially less.

mrkgoo

Unfortunately that's what I'll have to do. As I said some pages ago, a friend of mine is going to the US later this month (I live in Europe) and will bring me a MacBook. The prices in the US are dirty cheap compared to here in Europe (except the UK, where they are acceptable, but I don't live there). I was going for a Air 13'' with 8GB of ram, 256GB SSD and the i7, but I just realized I can't order it to a store for my frined to pick up while there for 2 days in New York because I need to make the order with an US card.

Bottom line: this is going to be my new computer for the next 4-5 years and 4 GB of ram is out of teh question. I need to buy a computer that my friend can pick up at the store in stock and unfortunately all the 13'' Air models have only 4GB. So I have to settle for a 13'' Pro even though the updated ones are just around the corner. The difference in price is huge: about 500 euros less for a Pro in the US! So If I want 8GB to be safe for the next 4-5 years this is my only choice. At least the price is substantially less.

You don't have to tell me a out prices, I'm in NZ so we'd be in a similar boat. That said, the prices these days aren't that much different. Keep in mind prices in US are always listed with no tax.

Didn't you say you were only going to hold onto it for 6 months? That was my basis for saying get the air. But yeah if you need more ram...

Gorgon

You don't have to tell me a out prices, I'm in NZ so we'd be in a similar boat. That said, the prices these days aren't that much different. Keep in mind prices in US are always listed with no tax.

Didn't you say you were only going to hold onto it for 6 months? That was my basis for saying get the air. But yeah if you need more ram...

No, that was someone else. I just hijacked your post to vent my frustation :)

As for the taxes, I think they are not very high, maybe 150USD at most, probably less. That's still a huge price difference from European prices (probably still around 500USD in price difference.)

The ram issue is simply because I will keep this new computer as my main machine for the next 4-5 years. I think it is too risky to go for 4 GB. That's already the acceptable minimum right now, in 4-5 years it will be a chore with new OS versions, more mem hungry applications, etc. For someone who just wants a 13'' for the next couple of years is ok, but more than that it's stretching it. So a 13'' Pro it is. Frustating, but what can you do?

muddream

Banned
I'd still pick up the 4GB Air from the store in your case, it's better than the Pro at pretty much everything besides the screen and much cheaper. The fact that you'd ideally go for the Air in the first place tells me that you aren't regularly running intense applications anyway and you seem a bit too paranoid about "new OS versions and more mem hungry applications". I typically use around 3GB now and 4 years ago it was 500 megs less.

Gorgon

I'd still pick up the 4GB Air from the store in your case, it's better than the Pro at pretty much everything besides the screen and much cheaper. The fact that you'd ideally go for the Air in the first place tells me that you aren't regularly running intense applications anyway and you seem a bit too paranoid about "new OS versions and more mem hungry applications". I typically use around 3GB now and 4 years ago it was 500 megs less.

The baseline 13'' Air will have no upgrade options because I have to buy the stock option at the store, so it will have a substantially weaker processor than the 13'' Pro.

Anyway, I do a lot of data analysis in R, plus Bioinformatics applications. Nothing major, 4 GB would do the trick today (even with the lower spec processor), but 4-5 years down the line? This will be my main (working) computer during that time. I don't know, man. I'm torned :/

mrkgoo

No, that was someone else. I just hijacked your post to vent my frustation :)

As for the taxes, I think they are not very high, maybe 150USD at most, probably less. That's still a huge price difference from European prices (probably still around 500USD in price difference.)

The ram issue is simply because I will keep this new computer as my main machine for the next 4-5 years. I think it is too risky to go for 4 GB. That's already the acceptable minimum right now, in 4-5 years it will be a chore with new OS versions, more mem hungry applications, etc. For someone who just wants a 13'' for the next couple of years is ok, but more than that it's stretching it. So a 13'' Pro it is. Frustating, but what can you do?

Nah, I get it.

It seems to me, however, you are handicapping the computer you REALLY want, to save some money (and possibly have to pay taxes when importing it - you should check your country's customs duties and fees if applicable). It might be better to pay the bit more and get what you want - the extra cost, afterall is going to be your next machine for 4-5 years.

Thing is I'm still not sure why the difference is so huge. Which model exactly are you looking at and which country are you in?

Also, 4GB may or may not be enough -I'm going to bet it's slightly on the low side for 4-5 years, but are you sure you really need all that RAM? SSD goes a long way in regards to performance.

Gorgon

Nah, I get it.

It seems to me, however, you are handicapping the computer you REALLY want, to save some money (and possibly have to pay taxes when importing it - you should check your country's customs duties and fees if applicable). It might be better to pay the bit more and get what you want - the extra cost, afterall is going to be your next machine for 4-5 years.

Thing is I'm still not sure why the difference is so huge. Which model exactly are you looking at and which country are you in?

Also, 4GB may or may not be enough -I'm going to bet it's slightly on the low side for 4-5 years, but are you sure you really need all that RAM? SSD goes a long way in regards to performance.

I'm not importing it. A friend of mine is buying in the US and brinnging it back, so no extra taxes when she arrives here (it's as if she was buying it for herself there). I CAN'T import it, because I would need to have a US adress + US credit card to even be abble to order one as a present to someone in Europe. And the taxes would probably be huge.

No, I really have to buy something that stores already have in stock, so it's either the high-end 13'' Air or the high-end 13" Pro.

I'm not importing it. A friend of mine is buying in the US and brinnging it back, so no extra taxes when she arrives here (it's as if she was buying it for herself there).

FWIW, that falls under most countries' definitions of 'importing'. I'm not sure it's a bad idea, I'd just look into what taxes and duties she can expect to pay coming into your country if she's stopped by customs officials.

If she takes it out of the box and carries it as her own laptop, it's much more likely to be accepted as not being an import.

muddream

Banned
The baseline 13'' Air will have no upgrade options because I have to buy the stock option at the store, so it will have a substantially weaker processor than the 13'' Pro.

Anyway, I do a lot of data analysis in R, plus Bioinformatics applications. Nothing major, 4 GB would do the trick today (even with the lower spec processor), but 4-5 years down the line? This will be my main (working) computer during that time. I don't know, man. I'm torned :/

2.6 vs 3.2 GHz won't make that much of a difference with the stuff you're going (at least in R). We're past the point where RAM requirements double every 3-4 years, I just don't understand why you're willing to pay a substantial premium for a product you don't really want/need just to make sure you can hold on to it for 4-5 years. There's a good chance the 4GB MBA will be servicable for that long as well and the worst case scenario means saving $400 now and buying a year early - essentially a wash if you look at it in terms of yearly costs.

And yeah, your friend should definitely take it out of the box & perhaps even keep it as carry-on baggage to be safe.

mrkgoo

FWIW, that falls under most countries' definitions of 'importing'. I'm not sure it's a bad idea, I'd just look into what taxes and duties she can expect to pay coming into your country if she's stopped by customs officials.

If she takes it out of the box and carries it as her own laptop, it's much more likely to be accepted as not being an import.

This.

What country are you in again?
In New Zealand, all goods acquired overseas requires you to pay the 'sales tax' of 15%. This is waved if the tax doesn't breach a certain amount as a personal concession, but you can bet a laptop goes over that. The trick would be to have to open it and not carry the box so as to not look like a new one.

You may also gave to pay duties.

It will obviously depend on your country's customs rules.

It's why I never ask travelling friends to make large purchases for me overseas. It's a huge responsibility for them, not to mention who is responsible if it is damaged? Like what if she drops it? Sure you could say it's their fault then, but they would never be in that situation if you hadn't put them in it.

Anyway, what country are you in?

Gorgon

2.6 vs 3.2 GHz won't make that much of a difference with the stuff you're going (at least in R). We're past the point where RAM requirements double every 3-4 years, I just don't understand why you're willing to pay a substantial premium for a product you don't really want/need just to make sure you can hold on to it for 4-5 years. There's a good chance the 4GB MBA will be servicable for that long as well and the worst case scenario means saving $400 now and buying a year early - essentially a wash if you look at it in terms of yearly costs.

And yeah, your friend should definitely take it out of the box & perhaps even keep it as carry-on baggage to be safe.

That's the idea. Otherwise no one would travel if they had to pay taxes for every item they carried with them in ever airport they stoped.

As for the ram: when I work I have to keep tons of different programs open at the same time. I also like the Pro more than the Air, it's just that the Air has been updated and the Pro hasn't, otherwise we would not be having this conversation. I just don't think buying something that you're not happy with is not a good thing, and the Air with 4 gigs doesn't cut it for me. But I understand your point. I'll have to make a decision later this month. Let's see.

Gorgon

This.

What country are you in again?
In New Zealand, all goods acquired overseas requires you to pay the 'sales tax' of 15%. This is waved if the tax doesn't breach a certain amount as a personal concession, but you can bet a laptop goes over that. The trick would be to have to open it and not carry the box so as to not look like a new one.

You may also gave to pay duties.

It will obviously depend on your country's customs rules.

It's why I never ask travelling friends to make large purchases for me overseas. It's a huge responsibility for them, not to mention who is responsible if it is damaged? Like what if she drops it? Sure you could say it's their fault then, but they would never be in that situation if you hadn't put them in it.

Anyway, what country are you in?

I'm in Finland. Well, if I carry my own computer it would be strange to make me pay taxes for it. No one could ever travel in such conditions.

She will open the box and carry it with her as her own computer. I'll probably ask her to make an account to or something. I presume that stuff can be changed later or deleted or something and a new account can be made (I never owned a mac).

mrkgoo

I'm in Finland. Well, if I carry my own computer it would be strange to make me pay taxes for it. No one could ever travel in such conditions.

She will open the box and carry it with her as her own computer. I'll probably ask her to make an account to or something. I presume that stuff can be changed later or deleted or something and a new account can be made (I never owned a mac).

Yeah it's easy to set up new accounts and stuff.

In my country, you don't pay taxes ins tuff you already own but Only acquire overseas. There are thresholds you have to pass and of course there are allowances.

And yeah I checked apple store in Finland. Ouch ALV is like near 20%, which I assume is equivalent if sales tax. I understand many euro countries have high taxes, but excellent government support.

The bad MBP is a couple to few hundred euro higher, so I can imagine other ones being even more so.

Dennis

Banned
Received my 13" Haswell Macbook Air yesterday and

1) The screen is gorgeous. Looks really sharp and crisp.

2) The boot up time is nearly non-existent. I have never seen anything like it. You press the button and a few seconds later you are in.

3) The battery performance is insane! All dat juice....

Fuchsdh

is there a way to reset mac os without reinstalling? i have to return a mb

You mean, clean your stuff off it without wiping the drive and reinstalling? Not really.

Received my 13" Haswell Macbook Air yesterday and

1) The screen is gorgeous. Looks really sharp and crisp.

2) The boot up time is nearly non-existent. I have never seen anything like it. You press the button and a few seconds later you are in.

3) The battery performance is insane! All dat juice....

I installed a 256GB SATA-II SSD as my boot drive on my Mac Pro and it still amazes me every time it boots up (and all my old windows) in five seconds or less after the chime. I don't really notice it being much faster anywhere else, but that alone makes it all worth while, and definitely why I won't be going back to a HDD boot in the future.

Fuchsdh

yeha ah fuck ok great reinstalling then ...

If you don't install a lot of messy programs and whatnot you can probably manually go through and trash things, but in terms of making sure there's not anything that could contain info you don't want someone else to have it's always good to at least do a clean install. I triple-zeroed my Macbook Pro in preparation for selling it, now *that* took some time. Losing an hour to reinstall isn't so bad.

is there a way to reset mac os without reinstalling? i have to return a mb

I am sure they'll wipe it, but to clean it yourself:
De-auth iTunes
De-auth activated software*
Delete apps you added
Remove VPNs.
add a new admin user and remove your account. Then throw out your old home folder and securely empty the trash.

*At this point I would boot off install media and zero the disk and reinstall, but I am paranoid.

Gorgon

Yeah it's easy to set up new accounts and stuff.

In my country, you don't pay taxes ins tuff you already own but Only acquire overseas. There are thresholds you have to pass and of course there are allowances.

And yeah I checked apple store in Finland. Ouch ALV is like near 20%, which I assume is equivalent if sales tax. I understand many euro countries have high taxes, but excellent government support.

The bad MBP is a couple to few hundred euro higher, so I can imagine other ones being even more so.

Yep, stuff is quite expenseive here. But Macs are really extremely expensive all over europe, the price is the same regardless of country, with the UK being the only exception (the prices there are closer to the US prices).

Anyway, I may end up going for the stock 256GB Air, because I'm short on money. I'd probably make the effort to go Pro if they had been updated already. I'm not happy with the 4 GB RAM, but at least I'll save 400USD or so. Hope it does it's job well for the next 4-5 years. Mavericks may help, with all the mem tricks it supposedly brings. Let's see.

mrkgoo

I would still go the airs. They are cutting edge. Way more likely to last the distance. Depends if you REALLY need the ram. What are you basing that need on?

Gorgon

I would still go the airs. They are cutting edge. Way more likely to last the distance. Depends if you REALLY need the ram. What are you basing that need on?

Basically, when I'm working I usually have a lot of web windows open for different pages, plus R statistical software, Excel or Calc, a couple of bash shells (Terminal in Mac I think) for both system and server connection, Skype, maybe Texmaker or Writer or Lyx or Word, a few text editor windows where I edit text files with search/replace, and maybe a few other things I may need on a case by case basis.

At work this is fine because I use a Linux workstation with a quad-core and 16GB ram, but when working at home shit may get a bit heavier. I have a 6 year old machine with a 2.4 Ghz Core-2-Duo from 2007 and 4GB ram. I feel a bit afraid 6 years later to go for a new machine with only 4GB ram, and operative systems aren't exactely getting lighter. 4-5 years from now I may regret my decision.

Anyway, I'm leaning for the Air at the moment, if for nothing else but the cheaper price.

So

Apple MacBook Air 13.3" Intel Core i5 1.3GHz (Haswell) 128GB Laptop for $999

or

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 2.5GHz Laptop - English for $1049

Which is the better value?

I'm using giftcards at Future Shop so I will end up with stock.

tsumineko

So I just got my 15inch Retina MacBook Pro, and it's my first time using Mac OS since like version 7 (on an old Mac Plus when I was a kid!) and I have to say, I really wish I went OS X a lot sooner. I love it. It's much cleaner than Windows. I have a small Windows 8 bootcamp setup for gaming (which I install all my games onto an external USB 3.0 HDD), but apart from that I'm exclusively using OS X and it's just wonderful. I highly recommend anyone who's thinking of switching to just go for it, it's leagues ahead of Windows 8.

Oh and full retina resolution Street Fighter IV AE + everything maxed at 60fps is magic.

muddream

Banned
So

Apple MacBook Air 13.3" Intel Core i5 1.3GHz (Haswell) 128GB Laptop for $999

or

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 2.5GHz Laptop - English for $1049

Which is the better value?

I'm using giftcards at Future Shop so I will end up with stock.

Can you live with non-upgradable 128GB? What kind of storage is in the MBP? It's hard to give sound advice without a little more effort on your end.

TUSR

Banned
So I just got my 15inch Retina MacBook Pro, and it's my first time using Mac OS since like version 7 (on an old Mac Plus when I was a kid!) and I have to say, I really wish I went OS X a lot sooner. I love it. It's much cleaner than Windows. I have a small Windows 8 bootcamp setup for gaming (which I install all my games onto an external USB 3.0 HDD), but apart from that I'm exclusively using OS X and it's just wonderful. I highly recommend anyone who's thinking of switching to just go for it, it's leagues ahead of Windows 8.

Oh and full retina resolution Street Fighter IV AE + everything maxed at 60fps is magic.

I'm using the same setup. But with Windows 7. It's unbelievably awesome, I just wish I had for free time...

Can you live with non-upgradable 128GB? What kind of storage is in the MBP? It's hard to give sound advice without a little more effort on your end.

You're Right.

It would help if I put in the links.

MacBook Pro 500gb hdd. - I will be getting this for $999.

and

MacBook Air 13" 2013

They are both at stock configuration. The 128gb of space I'm not too worried about but the lack of upgradable ram might be an issue down the line.

On the flipside, battery life will be important since I will be using the laptop to take notes in class.

The geekbench results suggest the Pro is still the more powerful machine which has me leaning towards it since it's only $50 more.

muddream

Banned
Definitely get the MBA if you're fine with 128GB. The RAM will easily be enough for browsing/notes/powerpoint type tasks many years down the line.

MBA offers half the weight, twice the battery life, a better screen with more real estate and will be much faster for your typical tasks due to the SSD. Ignore geekbench unless you're planning on pushing the machine to its limit.

Definitely get the MBA if you're fine with 128GB. The RAM will easily be enough for browsing/notes/powerpoint type tasks many years down the line.

MBA offers half the weight, twice the battery life, a better screen with more real estate and will be much faster for your typical tasks due to the SSD. Ignore geekbench unless you're planning on pushing the machine to its limit.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, RAM is the biggest concern when it comes to the MBA since I will end up with the stock 4 gigs. If it's good for those tasks, I should be fine.

The only additional point is that I will be taking a photojournalism course in second semester.

The 1280x800 screen resolution of the Pro is unacceptable these days. Go with the Air.

I did a lot of research this morning and decided to go to Future Shop to see if I could do a special order for a Macbook Air with 8gbs of RAM. It really came down to testing both in the store. I launched iPhoto, iMovie and a few other applications on both machines. The Macbook Pro beachballed for a good while before finally loading and rendering each window. The Macbook Air handled itself like, well, like a Pro. And that was on stock Ram. Still, I would feel a lot more comfortable with more RAM so they are going to look into getting me the upgrade for a $1099 price tag. That seems more than ideal.

kennah

I did a lot of research this morning and decided to go to Future Shop to see if I could do a special order for a Macbook Air with 8gbs of RAM. It really came down to testing both in the store. I launched iPhoto, iMovie and a few other applications on both machines. The Macbook Pro beachballed for a good while before finally loading and rendering each window. The Macbook Air handled itself like, well, like a Pro. And that was on stock Ram. Still, I would feel a lot more comfortable with more RAM so they are going to look into getting me the upgrade for a $1099 price tag. That seems more than ideal.

Yeah, the ridiculously fast SSD really helps with that stuff. I'm considering downsizing my (older) 15" Pro for a newer 13" Air.

tsumineko

Yeah you definitely don't want to go for a standard disk these days, SSD all the way.

Also the 4gb of ram might not be such a problem when Mavericks comes out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
For those who aren't aware, It looks like, For whatever reason, Apple have now put in place a replacement program for the GPU in the 27" Mid 2011 iMac.

It actually needs to fail the Video Systems Test before the unit can be replaced.

Oh god this is going to be a lot of fun at work, iMacs everywhere if Apple email all their customers, Like they did with the HDD Recall.

Details here - http://anandtech.com/show/7228/appl...for-radeon-hd-6970m-equipped-mid2011-27-imacs

caramac

For those who aren't aware, It looks like, For whatever reason, Apple have now put in place a replacement program for the GPU in the 27" Mid 2011 iMac.

It actually needs to fail the Video Systems Test before the unit can be replaced.

Oh god this is going to be a lot of fun at work, iMacs everywhere if Apple email all their customers, Like they did with the HDD Recall.

Details here - http://anandtech.com/show/7228/appl...for-radeon-hd-6970m-equipped-mid2011-27-imacs

Thanks for the heads up there. I purchased my iMac in March 2012 and the serial number does match with the ones Apple have listed.

Haven't had any GPU issues to date.

*edit, I have Apple Care so I guess I'm covered either way.

Do you have to drop your computer at the Apple Store if you want to swap out the battery on the integrated MBP/Airs?

Yes; there's no easy way to swap them out.

That being said they are rated for 1000 cycles so he would have quite a ways to go unless the battery outright fails.

Fuchsdh

Yes; there's no easy way to swap them out.

That being said they are rated for 1000 cycles so he would have quite a ways to go unless the battery outright fails.

The battery tech that's come out since my MBP in 2008 is pretty incredible. I'm amazed every time I look at the new specs.

On a side note, this Youtube channel is great: http://www.youtube.com/user/EverySteveJobsVideo?feature=watch

It's fun to watch the evolution of his showmanship (and his fashion choices.)

Cudder

What is the best Mac Hard Drive cleaner out there? I've been using Onyx for a long time, but wondering if there is anything better out there people have been using. Would be willing to spend a few bucks for it.

TUSR

Banned
What is the best Mac Hard Drive cleaner out there? I've been using Onyx for a long time, but wondering if there is anything better out there people have been using. Would be willing to spend a few bucks for it.

I've always just done clean installs every OS and Onyx in between.

OmniOne

I ordered a refurbished 27in iMac on thursday. i7, Fusion drive and 680mx. Saved 400 bucks. I'm upgrading from a 2007 Macbook Pro Core2duo with a 128MB 8600gtm.

I've never refreshed a UPS page more times in my life. The wait is killing me. I am literally dying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I always do it manually now. I used to use Onyx, but now I find it more fun to delete the contents of my three Cache folders (Library, System, User) and other select temp file folders myself. It's just more fun. As long as you know what stuff isn't required by the OS and what stuff is. It's just not for everyone.

OmniOne

I ordered a refurbished 27in iMac on thursday. i7, Fusion drive and 680mx. Saved 400 bucks. I'm upgrading from a 2007 Macbook Pro Core2duo with a 128MB 8600gtm.

I've never refreshed a UPS page more times in my life. The wait is killing me. I am literally dying.

This computer is amaze balls! The screen is so much larger on my desk than it ever looked in the apple store. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a laptop again.

Top Bottom