• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Aww man. I just discovered I missed my "last chance" email about purchasing AppleCare for my Air by over a month. I thought it expired in September and had enough time. D'OH! I get so much useless email I didn't even realize.

Good thing I'm replacing it with a Retina, but it'll hurt the resale value.

Fuchsdh

What is the best Mac Hard Drive cleaner out there? I've been using Onyx for a long time, but wondering if there is anything better out there people have been using. Would be willing to spend a few bucks for it.

I use Cleanmymac but honestly you can do most of its pretty easily without plunking down cash. I imagine you could write some scripts too. It does strip out the universal binaries from files though, which can be useful if you still have those and are at a premium for space.

And goddamn eBay. I listed my MBP and someone almost immediately bought it. 0 rep, not surprising that he either deleted his account or was banned two hours after I sent the invoice. But now eBay won't let me relist because I've hit my monthly listing limit.

mrkgoo

Aww man. I just discovered I missed my "last chance" email about purchasing AppleCare for my Air by over a month. I thought it expired in September and had enough time. D'OH! I get so much useless email I didn't even realize.

Good thing I'm replacing it with a Retina, but it'll hurt the resale value.

DO they email you? As in, if you purchase it via an AppleID, they will email you?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
DO they email you? As in, if you purchase it via an AppleID, they will email you?
Yeah. If you buy it from the Apple Store they let you know when it's about to end if you haven't purchased AC. Sort of a last chance. Nice reminder. And I somehow missed the email. So bummed. But oh well. I would have gotten a better resale value if I could guarantee it for 2 more years.

Refreshed MacBook Pros with Haswell Chips Coming in September?

If they don't come out next month I'm gonna lose my shit
Only if Retina Pro's are coming with it. God I want one soooo much. I don't know why. No, I do. I wants it! I wants my Haswell 13" Retina Pro. I wonder if this is the year they remove the Pro version with optical drive and merge the two lines. Or maybe they'll stick around for another year.

TUSR

Banned
I for one hope there is a Mac Mini refresh, i'd love to get me a Haswell based one to hook up to my living room TV.

That and a new TB display, i've been holding out so long for a new Thunderbolt Display.

Only if Retina Pro's are coming with it. God I want one soooo much. I don't know why. No, I do. I wants it! I wants my Haswell 13" Retina Pro. I wonder if this is the year they remove the Pro version with optical drive and merge the two lines. Or maybe they'll stick around for another year.

For some reason I feel like they will hold onto the optical drive normal Pros for another year. Just a strange suspicion based on previous yields and costs data.

Regardless a full merger of the lines is imminent.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I for one hope there is a Mac Mini refresh, i'd love to get me a Haswell based one to hook up to my living room TV.
I'm still hoping eventually we'll get an option to have a small SSD in it for the same base price. My 2010 mini is sooooo slow and I don't believe it. But I know it's the HDD. HDD's are terrible slow. My old mini was slow too. So slow that I ended up booting off my FireWire HDD for years because it was so much faster.

I might just turn this Air into a replacement for the mini when I get my Retina because it'd sure as hell be a lot faster. Plus it has USB3 which my mini does not. Though I'm gonna need a USB3 hub.

TUSR

Banned
I'm still hoping eventually we'll get an option to have a small SSD in it for the same base price. My 2010 mini is sooooo slow and I don't believe it. But I know it's the HDD. HDD's are terrible slow. My old mini was slow too. So slow that I ended up booting off my FireWire HDD for years because it was so much faster.

I might just turn this Air into a replacement for the mini when I get my Retina because it'd sure as hell be a lot faster. Plus it has USB3 which my mini does not. Though I'm gonna need a USB3 hub.

Exactly what my thoughts were too on the situation, why wouldn't I just hook a MBA up to my TV instead and run a USB 3.0 external HDD (non-bus powered). Tough choice, Im going to set my budget around $1000 and come refresh ill see what the better choice is.

Bajan32

Hey guys,

Just sold off my mac pro tower and im about to order this.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD103LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

What you guys think? ill be using it to run CS5/6, Cinema4d, and maybe some light nuke here or there.
Going to upgrade it to 16g ram and, change out the hardrive. will buy a secondary monitor for when im working from home.. this will just be till i start making money again and can afford a new mac pro.
Will i be alright with this? moving cross country and with taxes and such it comes up to 1600+ and cant really afford to spend more than that right now..

kidko

Hey guys,

Just sold off my mac pro tower and im about to order this.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD103LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

What you guys think? ill be using it to run CS5/6, Cinema4d, and maybe some light nuke here or there.
Going to upgrade it to 16g ram and, change out the hardrive. will buy a secondary monitor for when im working from home.. this will just be till i start making money again and can afford a new mac pro.
Will i be alright with this? moving cross country and with taxes and such it comes up to 1600+ and cant really afford to spend more than that right now..

If by swap out the hd you mean go ssd, then yes. I would advise holding off on all purchases until Sept 10 at least to see if they release a macbook pro refresh, as that could cause the price of what you're looking at to drop a little.

If by swap out the hd you mean go ssd, then yes. I would advise holding off on all purchases until Sept 10 at least to see if they release a macbook pro refresh, as that could cause the price of what you're looking at to drop a little.
Shit. I just ordered this one, and am waiting for it to ship:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

If a refresh is announced on 9/10 and the current prices drop, will they credit me? What's the return period?

Also, I ordered the Apple Care. It's my first time buying a Mac product, so I don't know how it works. Do I activate it right away, or should I wait till my regular warranty is up?

Aaaaahhh, I'm so excited. I've wanted a Retina ever since they were announced.

TUSR

Banned

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

If a refresh is announced on 9/10 and the current prices drop, will they credit me? What's the return period?

Also, I ordered the Apple Care. It's my first time buying a Mac product, so I don't know how it works. Do I activate it right away, or should I wait till my regular warranty is up?

Yeah I honestly would have held out until Sept, Apple Care automatically covers your product if you order it from the Apple Store at the same time/bill as your rMBP.

I've had my rMBP for almost a year now, I love this thing.

kidko

I've never done a return but maybe it's 30 days? I would ask them. AppleCare can be activated anytime, you don't have to wait (and probably shouldn't less you forget)... but you might check on the return first before activating applecare

Bajan32

I was talking to apple support last night, they said its a 14 day return policy.. But then I was ordering a refurbished. Dunno if its the same for new items though.

mrkgoo

I was talking to apple support last night, they said its a 14 day return policy.. But then I was ordering a refurbished. Dunno if its the same for new items though.

I bought a new iMac online and they said I had a 14-day return period for any reason. After that it becomes an AppleCare issue for flaws.

Hi guys, need some help here.

Can I run 2 external screens on a Macbook air 11" mid 2012 model?

I am currently running 1 extra via thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. Unfortunately there is only ONE thunderbolt connection on Macbook air. Can I connect via the USB?? I need 1 screen more to do my job correctly.

Would hate to have to buy another laptop :(

Hi guys, need some help here.

Can I run 2 external screens on a Macbook air 11" mid 2012 model?

I am currently running 1 extra via thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. Unfortunately there is only ONE thunderbolt connection on Macbook air. Can I connect via the USB?? I need 1 screen more to do my job correctly.

Would hate to have to buy another laptop :(

Pretty sure you can only do it if both monitors are Apple Thunderbolt displays. You can try USB using an adapter but expect response time to be slow. (There are some videos of people trying this on youtube to varying results).

If you want multiple thunderbolt ports I believe you need one of the Retina books as the normal MBP should also only have 1 thunderbolt port.

Pretty sure you can only do it if both monitors are Apple Thunderbolt displays. You can try USB using an adapter but expect response time to be slow. (There are some videos of people trying this on youtube to varying results).

If you want multiple thunderbolt ports I believe you need one of the Retina books as the normal MBP should also only have 1 thunderbolt port.

I will use it only for internet browsing.. so response time is a non issue here.

Hmm I dont plan on buying 2 Thunderbolt displays...I just got myself a samsung screen and need to be able to hook another one up via USB or if its possible to buy some adapter for the thunderbolt input that splits 1 thunderbolt into two thunderbolt connectors?

avaya

OK my 15" retina macbook has now developed serious burn in, its an LG screen. Do i get a free replacement or do they try and repair it? in UK btw, I got it in september 12 so still under warranty.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
OK my 15" retina macbook has now developed serious burn in, its an LG screen. Do i get a free replacement or do they try and repair it? in UK btw, I got it in september 12 so still under warranty.
Do you have an Apple Store nearby? I really hope the next revision has fixed these problems.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah just 10min walk, was thinking of taking it in tomorrow.
Do it. I don't know if they'll be nice enough to just replace it, so make sure you have an alternative machine in case you're out one. Also backup all your stuff obviously in case they either do replace it or something happens during repair. (Never take chances.)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Burn in? I take it you mean, if you leave a finder window there for ~10 minutes and then move the window, it still shows up on the LCD?

Then yea, if it's still under warranty just take it in.

I will say, Make sure they SEE the issue before you leave. Depending on the guys at the apple store, They could simply run the "Image persistence test" which is a 5 minute test. In just about every display I've replaced due to burn in, the image persistence test isn't actually long enough to show the effects of the ghost / burn in.

So they could simply run it and go, Oh look the test shows that there is no burn in, have a nice day.

As long as they aren't idiots, that shouldn't happen.

Also it won't be a replacement unit. It will be a fix, So they will replace the display.

GWX

LG sucks. 47" LED TV and 23" IPS monitor here, and both suffer heavily from backlight bleeding. I hate it, it's so distracting.

avaya

Burn in? I take it you mean, if you leave a finder window there for ~10 minutes and then move the window, it still shows up on the LCD?

Then yea, if it's still under warranty just take it in.

I will say, Make sure they SEE the issue before you leave. Depending on the guys at the apple store, They could simply run the "Image persistence test" which is a 5 minute test. In just about every display I've replaced due to burn in, the image persistence test isn't actually long enough to show the effects of the ghost / burn in.

So they could simply run it and go, Oh look the test shows that there is no burn in, have a nice day.

As long as they aren't idiots, that shouldn't happen.

Also it won't be a replacement unit. It will be a fix, So they will replace the display.

Windows doesn't have to be open for more than 30secs for it to happen.

mrkgoo

Is it burn in or image retention?

I think all ips screens have some image retention. My original iPad had a little.

Also, to this day I have not ever experience 'backlight bleed'. Maybe I have it, maybe I don't, but I have never seen anything distracting enough. Is it just brighter corners?

Well, just bought a 2008 Mac Pro off eBay. 8x2.8GHz, 16GB of RAM.

Have also ordered:
- Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 for mounting my SSDs so I can have 6Gb/s speeds, though I see that they made taking the fan out much easier than on my 2006, so I could've just used the unused headers under the fan again.
- EVGA NVidia GTX 650 Ti card. Apparently GTX6xx and 7xx cards work under 10.8 with no nonsense (aside from not seeing anything on-screen until after it's finished booting).

10.8 & 10.9 will soon be mine on my desk, finally.

We'll see if my 10.7 system just boots after its constituent disks are installed in the new one. Six disks, 19 partitions, and three RAID0s: what could possibly not work?

Will sell my 2006 after I get this set up, and I plan on leaving the SATA cables I installed in the optical bay there so I don't have to take the fucking thing apart again. Will stick the disks and video card from the new-to-me 2008 in it to get more money.

Fuchsdh

Well, just bought a 2008 Mac Pro off eBay. 8x2.8GHz, 16GB of RAM.

Have also ordered:
- Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 for mounting my SSDs so I can have 6Gb/s speeds, though I see that they made taking the fan out much easier than on my 2006, so I could've just used the unused headers under the fan again.
- EVGA NVidia GTX 650 Ti card. Apparently GTX6xx and 7xx cards work under 10.8 with no nonsense (aside from not seeing anything on-screen until after it's finished booting).

10.8 & 10.9 will soon be mine on my desk, finally.

We'll see if my 10.7 system just boots after its constituent disks are installed in the new one. Six disks, 19 partitions, and three RAID0s: what could possibly not work?

Will sell my 2006 after I get this set up, and I plan on leaving the SATA cables I installed in the optical bay there so I don't have to take the fucking thing apart again. Will stick the disks and video card from the new-to-me 2008 in it to get more money.

Yeah I really like the internal layout of the 2008 Mac Pro--they fixed the weirdness with relatching the thing from the 2006-7 versions. I always thought the 2009-on versions were kind of bizarre in that you had to remove the entire processor tray to swap out the RAM.

How long are you planning on holding onto your new purchase? I was kind of loathe to upgrade knowing the Pros were coming but I figured was better to let other people test out any possible kinks and wait an extra year or two.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really really hope that problem is a Revision A type thing that goes away when they update the machines.

I've noticed there's always two suppliers for major components that Apple uses and one is always worse. For instance the Flash they got for the Air's a while ago or the displays now. Samsung vs. LG or Toshiba, etc. I understand wanting to get more parts, but it's always a gamble to figure out which one you're gonna get.

How long are you planning on holding onto your new purchase?

As long as I can.

The only reason I'm going away from the MP1,1 is that I can't put 10.8 (and then 10.9) on it. There are many things I miss going from my MBA to the MP, 10.8 to 10.7.

This seven year old (!!) MP just flies with SSDs, and I can still play most of the games I want on the 3870. I bought it used in 2009.

My big problem with the new Pro (or going with a quad Mini) is the considerable upfront cost to a 4-drive Thunderbolt enclosure, of which there are no empty ones yet. This has been an expensive summer for household related things, so I'm being pretty frugal (for me).

Someone pointed this out to me regarding the Mac mini and I completely forgot about it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7021/introducing-the-dualcore-haswell-skus

There will surely be quad-core models, though, probably with the top-end graphics.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just want a quad-core i7 option in the 13" model. (Maybe an i5 if it's quad and the speed is negligible.) As well as possibly a 16GB RAM option and maybe discrete graphics if they still exist. In that order though. Those are three things that the 13" model has never had. Even the high-end 13". I'll pay whatever they want for it. I just want to max this machine out so it holds me for 3 years at least. I will go as high as I can for that. But I want to stay on a 13" model. Wish it would stop getting the shaft.

Fuchsdh

As long as I can.

The only reason I'm going away from the MP1,1 is that I can't put 10.8 (and then 10.9) on it. There are many things I miss going from my MBA to the MP, 10.8 to 10.7.

This seven year old (!!) MP just flies with SSDs, and I can still play most of the games I want on the 3870. I bought it used in 2009.

My big problem with the new Pro (or going with a quad Mini) is the considerable upfront cost to a 4-drive Thunderbolt enclosure, of which there are no empty ones yet. This has been an expensive summer for household related things, so I'm being pretty frugal (for me).

There will surely be quad-core models, though, probably with the top-end graphics.
Yeah that was another reason for me to wait. I'm sure they'll have some awesome, stylish and space-concious Thunderbolt enclosures once the Pros get out there, but that's just one more reason to defer the purchase.

The lack of Thunderbolt in my current rig vexed me too, so I just bought a 2011 Mac mini off eBay and maxed the RAM to 16GB for $525. It's got a better discrete GPU than my old MBP and though it's got a slow 5400RPM drive it's still fast enough to transfer over my old VHS tapes via a Blackmagic Thunderbolt shuttle (the only thing I really need TB for; all my other peripherals have FW800 attachments). That should tide me over until 2015 or so nicely; like you I was amazed with how fast my Pro is with an SSD.

EDIT: In case someone's interested I was mapping out my systems and connections to include with my insurance paperwork. Doesn't include a lot of my USB peripherals and cameras but it's the main body of my system. I'd love to see other people's setups. Coincidentally to the recent comments my 20" Cinema Display is starting to get some burn-in, but luckily it's temporary and I can shell out for a new monitor at some point. This one's served me well since 2004 so I think I've gotten my money out of it.
ClFX1uG.png

kennah

As long as I can.

How much did you pay? We have the same model at work and are wondering what would be a fair price to list it (hoping to get a new black pro)

How much did you pay? We have the same model at work and are wondering what would be a fair price to list it (hoping to get a new black pro)

$850 CDN, plus tax/shipping. That's with 16GB of RAM, NVidia 8800GT, and some disks. The card and disks will go in my old Pro when I sell it. Seemed like a fair price from eBay's completed listings.

kennah

Cool thanks. More than anyone here thinks.

You might want to keep those discs. They are the only way to access the hardware diagnostic on your model.

You might want to keep those discs. They are the only way to access the hardware diagnostic on your model.

There are no optical discs included; I'm putting the two included hard disks in my old Mac to sell instead of the four HDDs and two SSDs that will be faster and already have my shit on them.

I'm not too concerned about the missing optical or EFI partition AHT (the latter is likely already missing from these hard drives, if that's what you were referring to), since I've already downloaded the AHT for this Mac.

kennah

There are no optical discs included; I'm putting the two included hard disks in my old Mac to sell instead of the four HDDs and two SSDs that will be faster and already have my shit on them.

I'm not too concerned about the missing optical or EFI partition AHT (the latter is likely already missing from these hard drives, if that's what you were referring to), since I've already downloaded the AHT for this Mac.

Yeah I figured you might have meant that after my last post.

I don't mean the recovery partition, yeah, the AHT. But looks like you found a resource I couldn't find when we had to run it a bunch of months ago :)

Thanks for the info!

MBR

Banned
Alright, so I'm about to buy a basic 11" i5+4GB+128GB MBA off of the Swedish online store with edu-discount.

I see that they have a 14-day return policy, but I can't find any conditions. Can I open and use the MBA for a couple of days and then return it if I don't like it, or does it have to stay wrapped (Pretty much making the return policy useless)?

Also, what are the chances that the MBA will be updated along with the new Pros? Is there any chance at all that it'll get a retina display, or even maybe iris 5100 graphics?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Alright, so I'm about to buy a basic 11" i5+4GB+128GB MBA off of the Swedish online store with edu-discount.

I see that they have a 14-day return policy, but I can't find any conditions. Can I open and use the MBA for a couple of days and then return it if I don't like it, or does it have to stay wrapped (Pretty much making the return policy useless)?
I believe so. The 14-day is for people who get buyers remorse. Either they decide they don't like the machine, don't need the machine, want a different machine or a new model just came out so they want that one instead.

Just make sure any files you had are backed up because you won't get them back.

Also, what are the chances that the MBA will be updated along with the new Pros? Is there any chance at all that it'll get a retina display, or even maybe iris 5100 graphics?
Air's were updated 2 months ago. They're done until at least next Spring.

MBR

Banned
I believe so. The 14-day is for people who get buyers remorse. Either they decide they don't like the machine, don't need the machine, want a different machine or a new model just came out so they want that one instead.

Just make sure any files you had are backed up because you won't get them back.

Air's were updated 2 months ago. They're done until at least next Spring.
That sounds awesome. It'll be my first Mac, so I guess its good to know that I can return it if I really can't get used to it, or if I want to upgrade it a bit, I guess.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That sounds awesome. It'll be my first Mac, so I guess its good to know that I can return it if I really can't get used to it, or if I want to upgrade it a bit, I guess.
Just be aware of any restocking fee. Usually it's 10%, which on a $1300 machine is $130 you won't get back. So don't buy anything until you know you're okay with things like that.

Are you going after an Air or a rPro? The Air's are amazing and if you want one, get it now because it's fresh out of the oven. Ain't gonna get any fresher until Spring or Summer next year when Broadwell comes out.

MBR

Banned
Just be aware of any restocking fee. Usually it's 10%, which on a $1300 machine is $130 you won't get back. So don't buy anything until you know you're okay with things like that.

Are you going after an Air or a rPro? The Air's are amazing and if you want one, get it now because it's fresh out of the oven. Ain't gonna get any fresher until Spring or Summer next year when Broadwell comes out.
Oh, didn't know about that, I'll need to check that stuff out.

I'm gonna get the base 11" Air, it's for not-too-demanding university studies while I'm away from my desktop. The rMBP seems like too much for that purpose.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh, didn't know about that, I'll need to check that stuff out.

I'm gonna get the base 11" Air, it's for not-too-demanding university studies while I'm away from my desktop. The rMBP seems like too much for that purpose.
The restocking fee is just there to A) make sure you're not just borrowing the machine for a few weeks and B) to cover some of the losses they'll have when they put it up as refurbished. If something is actually broken during those first two weeks, they'll replace it free. But if you want to get rid of the machine, then you pay the loss. No big deal. Just make sure the machine you buy is the one you know you'll want. (i.e. you know you want the Air and aren't going to want to change to a Pro or iMac later) You'll be perfectly fine.

11" Air is a great choice. It's like a Netbook that's not a Netbook. I'd probably have one now if it had the same upgrade options as my 13" did, and had a higher resolution.

Bonus: Go to the Apple Store if you can and play with the machines if you don't know which one you might want.

Personally, I cannot wait for the next Retina Pro's. But my 2012 Ivy Bridge Air I have now is amazing by itself, and it doesn't even have the new battery life of the Haswell machines. A Retina Pro will be a machine I keep for the next 3 years at least, so I'll be maxing it out as much as I can. Damn the cost.

Top Bottom