• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

OK, I just got my refurbed rMBP 15" delivered last night. It's the first Mac of any kind I've owned (well, I built an awesome Hackintosh a few years ago, but switched it over to Windows when Lion was released).

This thing exudes quality. The trackpad is just amazing to use.

Do you have any recommendations for a sleeve or something to carry it in? I'd like to spend around $10 or less because I already went way over budget on this thing. Anything cool or interesting for that price?

A couple of other things I'd like help with:

Three finger smart drag is great, but I can't decide if it's better than double tap + hold. The latter has the advantage of letting me quickly access the drag function with my thumb, while my fingers are on the keyboard: less movement. Is there any way I can enable it to try it out? I don't see it in the System Prefs.

In certain typing positions, the sharp edge of the laptop presses against my wrists. I'm not sure what I can do about this, outside of place some kind of foam pad under them :/

What is this?
If you're using a clicky mouse, clicking on something and dragging can do various things, right? It can move a window or icon, it can resize objects, it can highlight text. Instead of clicking, just caressing* the object in question with three fingers achieves the same effect, whatever the context.

It's extremely satisfying because if I'm already using my hand on the mouse, it involves minimal change in coordination, whereas clicking and holding or double tap and holding requires a change in the muscles being used. Also, it has a nice little lag in it so that you can drag an icon, for example, so that you can drag multiple times if you get to the edge of the pad. It's a great feature.

The only time when I miss double tap + hold is right now when I'm typing and I reach down with only my thumb to highlight text. But three finger drag is so smooth that it's a worthwhile trade off... so far.

* I say caressing because omg I'm still blown away at this track pad :p OK, done with hyperbole.

gokieks

Do you have any recommendations for a sleeve or something to carry it in? I'd like to spend around $10 or less because I already went way over budget on this thing. Anything cool or interesting for that price?

The notion of someone buying a rMBP and then only spending $10 on a case is just mind boggling.

Seriously, spend some more money and get something quality. If not now you'll just end up doing so later. I can whole-heartly recommend booq's products - they're not outrageous priced, but very well made and well worth the cost.

The notion of someone buying a rMBP and then only spending $10 on a case is just mind boggling.

Seriously, spend some more money and get something quality. If not now you'll just end up doing so later. I can whole-heartly recommend booq's products - they're not outrageous êpriced, but very well made and well worth the cost.
A sleeve is a sleeve, right? I'm only looking to protect from scuffs, not from impact. And that site you linked has some $10 ones :) Thanks.

gokieks

A sleeve is a sleeve, right? I'm only looking to protect from scuffs, not from impact. And that site you linked has some $10 ones :) Thanks.

I'm not sure about the "a sleeve is a sleeve", but the booq sleeves that are listed at $10 are discontinued ones that you probably won't be able to find at that price.

And I really don't know if you'll be able to find anything remotely decent for a rMBP at that price. Maybe a generic one-size-fits-many sleeve, but anything that's designed for the specific model is probably going to cost significantly more, even on the lower end.

So I got a MBA and just recently upgraded my internet to 50/25 Mbps. Problem is that tha Air will only hit like mid 20s mbps while the windows machines in the house hit around 50. What could be the problem?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There's something I don't understand about my Photo Stream.

For some reason, my three devices all have a different set of photos.

My MacBook Air has 206 photos.

My iPhone has 130 photos.

And my iPad has 42.

Shouldn't they all have the same exact photos? Each one has the same photos, but a lot are missing from some of the devices. It makes no sense. (I also still don't understand why there's no option to view your entire stream on iCloud.com. Makes no sense.)

I do wish there was a way though to have iPhoto upload your entire library to iCloud.com itself so I didn't need to sync my photos to my devices and use up space. Frankly this shit should all be cloud based by now.

Fuchsdh

So I got a MBA and just recently upgraded my internet to 50/25 Mbps. Problem is that tha Air will only hit like mid 20s mbps while the windows machines in the house hit around 50. What could be the problem?

Is it a new MBA, or an older model? What's the wireless setup for your house? Where are you performing the speed tests? In the same place as the Windows machines?

Seriously, spend some more money and get something quality. If not now you'll just end up doing so later. I can whole-heartly recommend booq's products - they're not outrageous priced, but very well made and well worth the cost.
This. I have a Booq backpack and it was well worth it.

Is it a new MBA, or an older model? What's the wireless setup for your house? Where are you performing the speed tests? In the same place as the Windows machines?

2012 MBA. I'm right next to the router and so are the Windows machines. I have the wireless router on Wireless N only and 40mhz.

TUSR

Banned
2012 MBA. I'm right next to the router and so are the Windows machines. I have the wireless router on Wireless N only and 40mhz.

You see, when you have a problem and random people on the Internet are trying to diagnose it. The more information you give, results in a faster answer and one people are willing to give instead of prying for more information.

VPhys

If you're using a clicky mouse, clicking on something and dragging can do various things, right? It can move a window or icon, it can resize objects, it can highlight text. Instead of clicking, just caressing* the object in question with three fingers achieves the same effect, whatever the context.

It's extremely satisfying because if I'm already using my hand on the mouse, it involves minimal change in coordination, whereas clicking and holding or double tap and holding requires a change in the muscles being used. Also, it has a nice little lag in it so that you can drag an icon, for example, so that you can drag multiple times if you get to the edge of the pad. It's a great feature.

The only time when I miss double tap + hold is right now when I'm typing and I reach down with only my thumb to highlight text. But three finger drag is so smooth that it's a worthwhile trade off... so far.

* I say caressing because omg I'm still blown away at this track pad :p OK, done with hyperbole.

I still don't get what you're talking about. Does this only work with a mouse and not the magic trackpad? When I move three fingers over an icon on my desktop, it simply swipes the entire screen, it does nothing to the icon.

I still don't get what you're talking about. Does this only work with a mouse and not the magic trackpad? When I move three fingers over an icon on my desktop, it simply swipes the entire screen, it does nothing to the icon.
I'm using the built in track pad. You have to enable it in Preferences... Smart Drag or something like that.

I've just ordered a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2013 model, Haswell CPU).

I hope it's as good as the reviews said. I've been needing a decent laptop for years and spending over €1000 for a piece of tech feels weird. That said, I spend so much time in public transportation I could really use it.

By the way, is it normal that the students' Apple Store does not check whether I'm actually a student or not?

TUSR

Banned

I hope it's as good as the reviews said. I've been needing a decent laptop for years and spending over €1000 for a piece of tech feels weird. That said, I spend so much time in public transportation I could really use it.

By the way, is it normal that the students' Apple Store does not check whether I'm actually a student or not?

I've never had to prove it once out of the 3 times using edu discounts.

Gaaraz

Girlfriends few year old white Macbook is having problems charging - sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn't... battery seems okay in settings, so is it safe to say that a new (£65 :|) Magsafe adapter should do the trick?

Thanks

I believe they do request documentation on a selection of purchasers.

Girlfriends few year old white Macbook is having problems charging - sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn't... battery seems okay in settings, so is it safe to say that a new (£65 :|) Magsafe adapter should do the trick?

Does the light not come on or not turn orange when it's not charging? My partner's MacBook Pro has become a bit fiddly and will start charging very quickly* when the plug is in one way, but if you attach it the other, you usually have to slide it around in the few millimetres of play you have.

*the Mac negotiates with the charger about the charging rate, which is why the orange light doesn't come on immediately.

Gaaraz

Oh I see! Thank you... it's not charging at all (as in no light) at times so I will try various things and combinations to see if I can get it working consistently :)

Ninjew

Just got mine 2 days ago. I love this thing for college doesn't weigh a thing and it's portable (went the first 2 years of college with a 12lb dell XPS 15)

My Macbook Air will be 24 hours late because I entered the wrong type of bank card so the purchase couldn't be validated. Had to call the Apple Store to sort things out. :/

TUSR

Banned
What are the odds of a 4k screen from Apple?

And price range...?

Thats a good question, since the panels are slowly hitting markets and the new Mac Pro supports multi-4K...

Im going to go with probable, but I haven't heard of any rumours for a 4K display. The current TB display is due for a refresh but I have trouble believing they're going to make it 4K. Maybe a 4K monitor and a TB Display update this fall at the earliest?

Just wait for Sept 10th.

My Macbook Air will be 24 hours late because I entered the wrong type of bank card so the purchase couldn't be validated. Had to call the Apple Store to sort things out. :/

Well I probably shouldn't tell you how much you are going to love it.

Fuchsdh

Thats a good question, since the panels are slowly hitting markets and the new Mac Pro supports multi-4K...

Im going to go with probable, but I haven't heard of any rumours for a 4K display. The current TB display is due for a refresh but I have trouble believing they're going to make it 4K. Maybe a 4K monitor and a TB Display update this fall at the earliest?

Just wait for Sept 10th.

Well I probably shouldn't tell you how much you are going to love it.

I'd imagine the refresh with a 4K display option would hit with the new Pros. Fall 2013 technically means September 22 - December, so that's the date we should get the new ones.

kennah

Lol ok. So I've been struggling with my 09 15" being too slow for what I want to do with it....

Turns out this year doesn't dynamically throttle, so if you are in better battery life instead of full performance in power settings - it never speeds up. Enabled the mode tonight to test something and poof - most of my performance issues gone.

Still won't play games, but at least now I can get work done.

TUSR

Banned
Lol ok. So I've been struggling with my 09 15" being too slow for what I want to do with it....

Turns out this year doesn't dynamically throttle, so if you are in better battery life instead of full performance in power settings - it never speeds up. Enabled the mode tonight to test something and poof - most of my performance issues gone.

Still won't play games, but at least now I can get work done.

Yeah that's a bitch, I always change that immediately on all computers.

Fuchsdh

I need more than I have for sure.

What I really need is more HD space. =(

Edit: Apparently it can handle 32GB. May upgrade to 20GB and wait on the last two sticks.

Remember that Apple's max RAM is usually based partly on what DIMMs were actually available at the time. A lot of the Macs usually can handle double their official capacities (my 2011 Mini is at 16GB, my old MBP I could max at 6GB instead of 4.)

I have received my MacBook Air. At first I was afraid the specs would be too low for today's standards (only 4 GB of RAM, dual-core CPU...) but it actually works well (and I've had low tolerance for shitty specs ever since I bought my first - and only - netbook, years ago). The Verge's review was right: it does everything a normal person can expect from a laptop, with sufficient speed (I don't do audio or video editing) and it even runs Hotline Miami flawlessly at native resolution.

It's incredible how computer technology has progressed in the last few years (this thing is so thin and light my mother couldn't belive her eyes when I showed it to her). Apple has done a great job.

survivor

Banned
I have a few questions regarding the new Air

1) How good is the TN panel in comparison to the IPS displays or other TN displays on other laptops? I'd imagine Apple would use a better quality than the one found in 500 dollars laptops?

2) Would 128 SSD bite me in the ass down the road? Is it worth the investment to go for 256?

3) How would the 8 GB base model CPU Air handle programming tasks? Running Xcode, or IntelliJ for Android development? Probably the most demanding task would be running Unity3d.

Thanks.

kidko

I have a few questions regarding the new Air

1) How good is the TN panel in comparison to the IPS displays or other TN displays on other laptops? I'd imagine Apple would use a better quality than the one found in 500 dollars laptops?

2) Would 128 SSD bite me in the ass down the road? Is it worth the investment to go for 256?

3) How would the 8 GB base model CPU Air handle programming tasks? Running Xcode, or IntelliJ for Android development? Probably the most demanding task would be running Unity3d.

Thanks.

2) yes, especially since you mention

3) running xcode and unity, aka game development. Max the RAM and get a 256 SSD... and you still might need external storage to work on games.

Gorgon

For those that remember my posts about buying a Mac in the US and bringing it over to Europe...I just got it today :)

As I said, my friend had to buy a stock MacBook Air 13'' (the 256GB disk one) with only 4GB ram since we could not risk not having time for a custom version to arrive at the store. But anyway, I got it today and I just turned it on half an hour ago. It's my first Mac and I'm really liking the build quality of this thing. It was great getting this while saving around 300-400 USD by buying in the US intead of here in Euroland.

I'm a proud MacBook owner now :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have a problem with my iPhone 4's screen having a brown splotch inside the glass that formed out of nowhere (I heard of problems with this when the device first launched, something about the bonding process) and a power button that doesn't work, more specifically you can hold the button on top and then move the slider to the right, the machine will start shutting down and then will restart.

Should I take it in before the 5S is announced or after? Worst comes to worst I'd just pay their replacement fee and hopefully get a 5S or a 5, but I don't know how the retail stores act now a days with replacements.

TUSR

Banned
I have a problem with my iPhone 4's screen having a brown splotch inside the glass that formed out of nowhere (I heard of problems with this when the device first launched, something about the bonding process) and a power button that doesn't work, more specifically you can hold the button on top and then move the slider to the right, the machine will start shutting down and then will restart.

Should I take it in before the 5S is announced or after? Worst comes to worst I'd just pay their replacement fee and hopefully get a 5S or a 5, but I don't know how the retail stores act now a days with replacements.

I tried to replace my 4S with a 5 when I replaced it under Apple Care from severe damage to the device.

Didnt work.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea, You can't replace a phone for an upgraded one. It must be the same model for swap over.

All you can do is buy phone.

Ovid

Hey guys, I'm in bit of a dilemma right now. The SSD in my mid-2012 MacBook Air died over the weekend after only 14 months of light use.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they quoted me at $280 for a replacement with an unbelievable turnaround time of one month...yes one month. Apparently, Apple has been seeing alot of of failing SSD for this particular model and there's a waiting list.

As of right now I'm running the OS on an external drive. So here's my dilemma, should I bite the bullet and pay Apple $280 OR get the OWC 120GB SSD?

How reliable is OWC? They do offer a three year warranty which seems like a HUGE plus.

BTW...Apple only offers 90 days for the replacement :(

Fuchsdh

Hey guys, I'm in bit of a dilemma right now. The SSD in my mid-2012 MacBook Air died over the weekend after only 14 months of light use.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they quoted me at $280 for a replacement with an unbelievable turnaround time of one month...yes one month. Apparently, Apple has been seeing alot of of failing SSD for this particular model and there's a waiting list.

As of right now I'm running the OS on an external drive. So here's my dilemma, should I bite the bullet and pay Apple $280 OR get the OWC 120GB SSD?

How reliable is OWC? They do offer a three year warranty which seems like a HUGE plus.

OWC is very reliable and have excellent customer service, though their prices tend to be higher than the average, at least for RAM. I bought my SSD from Amazon so I dunno how they compete for internal storage.

Ovid

OWC is very reliable and have excellent customer service, though their prices tend to be higher than the average, at least for RAM. I bought my SSD from Amazon so I dunno how they compete for internal storage.
Thanks for the reply.

Did you buy it (SSD) for the MBA? If so, how much was it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

That's the model I'm using right now. Damn, I hope the new Retina's come out before it happens to mine. I am so mad I missed my AppleCare cutoff.

Ovid

That's the model I'm using right now. Damn, I hope the new Retina's come out before it happens to mine. I am so mad I missed my AppleCare cutoff.
I was very disheartened by this. It was working flawlessly. Not one single problem ever until this.

If you do a google search on "Mid 2012 MacBook Air Sandforce 33 kb" (that's what the SSD shows up as after it dies) you'll see that alot of people have been having the issue recently. It's funny (not really) because it seems to be happening right after the one year warranty.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was very disheartened by this. It was working flawlessly. Not one single problem ever until this.

If you do a google search on "Mid 2012 MBA Sandforce 33kb" (that's what the SSD shows up as after it dies) you'll see that alot of people have been having the issue recently. It's funny (not really) because it seems to be happening right after the one year warranty.
If it's that widespread, Apple should be doing free replacements. Of course, if that factory fire causes any problems, it might just be a very inconvenient time for something like this to happen.

That's if it does happen to me. My warranty ended a month and a half ago.

Come onnnnn new Retina Pro's!

Ovid

If it's that widespread, Apple should be doing free replacements. Of course, if that factory fire causes any problems, it might just be a very inconvenient time for something like this to happen.

That's if it does happen to me. My warranty ended a month and a half ago.

Come onnnnn new Retina Pro's!
I would love to contact them about this, but how would I go about doing it? Will they even listen?

I would love to contact them about this, but how would I go about doing it? Will they even listen?

Call Applecare. Often I've had luck even out of warranty when the problem is as widespread as you indicate. Just be pleasant as they have no obligation to help but generally I've never hit an issue where Apple didn't help me out. Worst they can do is not help you and you can go for an aftermarket fix.

Top Bottom