• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Ravidrath

Any chance they will release a haswell non-retina MacBook Pro? Not really sure if I need retina and I'd rather save the extra cash to buy Word and a case.

No one knows, but I seem to recall that a lot of people expect them to phase out non-Retina MacBook Pros any day now.

So, I have a pair of Apple Earpods, and have had them for a while. They work as expected with my iPhone 4.

On my 2011 MacBook Air, the remote doesn't work, and the microphone does not show up as an input. If I plug in my original & uncomfortable Apple Earbuds, everything works as expected.

Is this a known issue? Thus far Google & DuckDuckGo have not proven fruitful.

I've even restarted the whole Mac in an effort to fix this.
I am ashamed.

james1234

Neo Member
Why did I get this laptop...ugh.

Thanks.

I'm trying to avoid the Sandforce controller. From what I read it's not reliable.

Kidko is absolutely right. No matter what others say, I always have been very contented with my sandforce based drives. starting from Intel 3xx series I have not been let down & i always recommend this to my friends & they too have been happy with performance & mainly reliability of the latest sandforce based SSDs

So, I have a pair of Apple Earpods, and have had them for a while. They work as expected with my iPhone 4.

Well, apparently they don't anymore. Must have broken a wire in the last week. Sonofabitch.

starting from Intel 3xx series I have not been let down

I learned over the weekend that Intel has their own Sandforce driver, which might be why we've been happy with the 3xx ones and other Sandforce-based drives haven't been so good for people.

Swag

Would it be worth buying a rMBP at this point? Have a buddy heading to NY next week, want him to go pick one up for me, if not I guess I'll just go with a normal MBP but why is the jump between 13 and 15 inch so much :(

kidko

Would it be worth buying a rMBP at this point? Have a buddy heading to NY next week, want him to go pick one up for me, if not I guess I'll just go with a normal MBP but why is the jump between 13 and 15 inch so much :(

They're going to have new ones very soon, but probably not "next week" soon. Anyone you ask will suggest you wait.

Swag

They're going to have new ones very soon, but probably not "next week" soon. Anyone you ask will suggest you wait.
Don't think I can wait for later then next week, I had heard the current line of rMBP have issues with performance, is this still the case?

james1234

Neo Member
I learned over the weekend that Intel has their own Sandforce driver, which might be why we've been happy with the 3xx ones and other Sandforce-based drives haven't been so good for people.

I am not sure just because Intel has custom firmware on sandforce controllers, they are doing good. This could be just be a false positive. I have used other brands like kingston,sandisk,OWC which also use sandforce controller & they are doing good. I personally love the OWC mercury Electra 6G which is simply terrific!

How do you guys feel about gaming on a Mac? Do you consider Boot Camp to be essential or do you make do with the MacOS Steam Library etc?

I just make do with the Mac OS. I almost never have nothing else on the go that I am interested in restarting. As soon as software update tells me I need to restart my Mac I start ignoring updates for many weeks.

TUSR

Banned
Do you ever find yourself spending too much time inside of it to justify being a Mac owner? There's something about buying a Mac then sitting in Windows all the time that irks me.

I almost exclusively use W7 for games and some pieces of software that are not supported on osx.
I don't mind sitting in the window environment, because it's still the laptop I bought and it's doing what I need and want it to do. I prefer osx as my native OS.

dc89

Feeling inspired by iOS7 I decided to change some icons on my Mac.

7lP9MYS.png

I need to find some decent Folder images now and then I'm sorted. If anyone can help me out with finding some, I'd be most grateful.

How do you guys feel about gaming on a Mac? Do you consider Boot Camp to be essential or do you make do with the MacOS Steam Library etc?

I get that if you're a big gamer you shouldn't own a Mac unless you're prepared to Boot Camp but I've found myself playing a lot less in the last year or two, so I'm beginning to feel it might be time to get that maxed out iMac I've always dreamed of when they get refreshed.
A maxed out iMac running Steam in Boot Camp is a beautiful thing. And then you can switch back to Mac OS X for everything else.

Volotaire

Keep in mind that student discounts are higher for the base models and 4GB is more than enough for most people.

Oh in the UK its 14% fir so models, I'm quite a heavy internet user anyways with a lot of pines tabs and plan to use this for about 4 years. Plus I plan do do some gaming with compatible games.

I installed Windows 8 on my bootcamp partition thinking I'd need it but haven't touched it since then. I bet I have 80 updates when I boot into it.

Laekon

The base 13" Haswell Air is now on the Apple refurb page for $929. It's the best way to buy a Mac if you live in the US. I'm keeping my eye out for a 8 GB ram one which I hope isn't far behind.

Valravn

Finally installed Windows on mac via Parallels. Its works very great, i was worried about it being slow since its virtualized. It actually works very smooth, now i wont have any problems working with SharePoint (im an application manager) at work!

I almost purchased Parallels on their website but then i remembered i can buy software cheap at my University. Im glad i did since it got there at half the price!

TUSR

Banned
Finally installed Windows on mac via Parallels. Its works very great, i was worried about it being slow since its virtualized. It actually works very smooth, now i wont have any problems working with SharePoint (im an application manager) at work!

I almost purchased Parallels on their website but then i remembered i can buy software cheap at my University. Im glad i did since it got there at half the price!

Good deal, Parallels is RAM intensive. So if you have a sufficient amount of RAM allocated to your Parallels partition it will work smoothly.

Fuchsdh

Yeah virtualization has come a long way, especially since the hell of Virtual PC. I usually just allocated double the RAM over the system requirements for the games I'm running and get solid framerates.

Volotaire

Feeling inspired by iOS7 I decided to change some icons on my Mac.

7lP9MYS.png

I need to find some decent Folder images now and then I'm sorted. If anyone can help me out with finding some, I'd be most grateful.

Deviantart under icons has a huge amount. Just look under popular. Or the rocketdock website (albeit there a ton of rubbish ones on Rocketdock).

dalVlatko

So does anyone else still have problems with their Macbook Air dropping wifi?

I remember reading that there was a fix in one of the updates for OSX but I still have my wifi cut off randomly.

When I'm at school my wifi cuts off more frequently and the icon on the menubar begins pulsing. I think this might be a problem with my campus wifi more than the macbook though.

When I'm at home the wifi just becomes slow and then stops working but the menubar still shows that its connected.

Its a summer 2012 model if that matters.

Flek

Banned
So does anyone else still have problems with their Macbook Air dropping wifi?

I remember reading that there was a fix in one of the updates for OSX but I still have my wifi cut off randomly.

When I'm at school my wifi cuts off more frequently and the icon on the menubar begins pulsing. I think this might be a problem with my campus wifi more than the macbook though.

When I'm at home the wifi just becomes slow and then stops working but the menubar still shows that its connected.

Its a summer 2012 model if that matters.

no no problems at all (mb air 2013) its perfect on various networks.
I have a nother problem though when lifting my macbook air on the right corner it makes strange cracking noises. Ive heard it could be that the bottom case is not screwed in perfectly…iam not sure if i should visit a apple store over this or just buy a 5 star pendulum screwdriver and fix it myself

muddream

Banned
You've still got Applecare, why on earth would you try to fix a manufacturing flaw with a screwdriver? Is this part of your "My brain can't grammar" gimmick?

I'm hoping for an Apple Thunderbolt Display with DisplayPort input for PCs. Even though I just went and bought a Dell U2713HM I'd gladly ditch it for one.

This update made my day despite the fact that I am not buying anything. I am wondering about the base model though because I thought Iris Pro was attached to mobile processors only. I can imagine though that Apple went with the Iris Pro graphics because the 640M to 740M wasn't a huge jump.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm hoping for an Apple Thunderbolt Display with DisplayPort input for PCs. Even though I just went and bought a Dell U2713HM I'd gladly ditch it for one.
I'm hoping an Apple Thunderbolt Display with input for AppleTVs before I even dream of inputs for PCs.
How thick is that display?
?

Dimensions w/ Base (WxHxD) 29.5" x 19.3" x 10.1"

Anandtech's review ASUS PQ321Q UltraHD Monitor Review: Living with a 31.5-inch 4K Desktop Display

Fuchsdh

I'm hoping an Apple Thunderbolt Display with input for AppleTVs before I even dream of inputs for PCs.

?

Dimensions w/ Base (WxHxD) 29.5" x 19.3" x 10.1"

Anandtech's review ASUS PQ321Q UltraHD Monitor Review: Living with a 31.5-inch 4K Desktop Display

They give 3.5cm as the maximum depth of the display, which is still way too thick for Apple (and I'd wager there are issues with how the bonded glass treatment might work).

If anything, expect new 4K displays from Apple to go along with the Pro. It'll trickle down over the next year or two. iMac displays are already pretty sharp... not worth the performance hit really.

Blackhead

Redarse
They give 3.5cm as the maximum depth of the display, which is still way too thick for Apple (and I'd wager there are issues with how the bonded glass treatment might work).

If anything, expect new 4K displays from Apple to go along with the Pro. It'll trickle down over the next year or two. iMac displays are already pretty sharp... not worth the performance hit really.

wtf does that even mean?

Top Bottom