• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Picked up a new air 13 with 256gb ssd for the Gf. Compared to my MBPr from earlier this year, the battery life is night and day.

However that retina screen is too good to give up. Was shocked how the 13inch screen doesn't feel small. The light weight yet sturdiness is very impressive.

I'm trying to avoid the Sandforce controller. From what I read it's not reliable.

I just treat SSDs like faster HDDs: they're going to die eventually. As for day-to-day, the Sandforce-based Intel 330s I have in my Mac Pro work fine.

But they will be...eventually right?

I think it's likely given that the new Mac Pros use the same sticks, and presumably the next retina MBPs will as well.

TUSR

Banned
Are there any decent ways to remove scratches/scuffs from aluminum macbooks?

How bad are the scratches? (pictures would be best)

You can always Google "how to remove scratches from anodized aluminium" im not sure of a sure fire process. But knowing the damage is a good start.

How bad are the scratches? (pictures would be best)

You can always Google "how to remove scratches from anodized aluminium" im not sure of a sure fire process. But knowing the damage is a good start.

Fairly light. They're on the bottom of my case, I'm just trying to polish up before I sell.

Though the dent on the corner of my screen will probably take out value -___-

TUSR

Banned
Fairly light. They're on the bottom of my case, I'm just trying to polish up before I sell.

Though the dent on the corner of my screen will probably take out value -___-

Dents and scratches don't fall under the same category hah, I saw someone colour in the scratches with a jiffy marker of the same colour.

corn_fest

I figured some of you might be able to help answer a few little questions I have...

- I have an old, totally dead 4th gen iPod touch that I think might have water damage. I've heard conflicting reports that even a totally dead iPod like that can be replaced with a refurb for ~$100 or so, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. If so, do they keep old models around, or do you think I'd end up with a 5th gen refurb at this point?

- My MacBook is out of warranty now, but when it was in warranty, I took it in for service and they gave it back with the screen not on quite right (slightly to the left, sticks and creaks when opening rather than being smooth). I guess they wouldn't look at it now, even if it was caused by an Apple Store repair... is that sort of thing simple to fix?

- The USB charger trade-in thing they've got going on now... anyone know how specific it is, like does it have to be an AC to USB adapter or can it be an AC to 30-pin adapter?

They're all rather unimportant issues that I feel silly asking about, but if anyone has any input it'd be much appreciated.

TUSR

Banned
I figured some of you might be able to help answer a few little questions I have...

- I have an old, totally dead 4th gen iPod touch that I think might have water damage. I've heard conflicting reports that even a totally dead iPod like that can be replaced with a refurb for ~$100 or so, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. If so, do they keep old models around, or do you think I'd end up with a 5th gen refurb at this point?

- My MacBook is out of warranty now, but when it was in warranty, I took it in for service and they gave it back with the screen not on quite right (slightly to the left, sticks and creaks when opening rather than being smooth). I guess they wouldn't look at it now, even if it was caused by an Apple Store repair... is that sort of thing simple to fix?

- The USB charger trade-in thing they've got going on now... anyone know how specific it is, like does it have to be an AC to USB adapter or can it be an AC to 30-pin adapter?

They're all rather unimportant issues that I feel silly asking about, but if anyone has any input it'd be much appreciated.

-Talk to an Apple Store rep (Chances are you're out of luck here)
-Talk to an Apple Store Manager (You should have done this earlier)

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/
http://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

It's (generally) unlikely that they would upgrade you on refurb. Most Apple stores have comprehensive replacement stock of supported older devices (for example, I received an iPhone4 replacement several times in a month when the iPhone 5 was already available for quite some time.)

This page shows the prices for a repair (AKA: a replacement)

There's absolutely nothing to lose by bringing it in to the Genius bar and asking. Your success rate is going to be random, but they may have an easy fix or even a free replacement.

I've been turned down a few times on things that other people have gotten free out-of-warranty replacements on, but I've also received the benefit of the doubt on some weird hardware problems and have had nothing but respect from the people I've dealt with. If you come in asking for freebies you are going to get shot down, but if you ask honestly and don't push them good things can happen.

(That being said, that might be a simple fix to a 3rd party repair shop.)

survivor

Banned
MacBook Air just arrived today. Very exciting to finally use OSX. Also the first time to use a machine with SSD, I hope I will be able to tell the difference.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just had my first Kernel panic on my rMBP. Awesome.
You always remember your first time... especially if you take a photo of it to remember it by.

iJuskSo41gSwC.JPG

10.1 was such a different beast.

Windam

Scaley member
3 hour lectures really make me wish I had a new Haswell Air. My MBA doesn't die, but the battery does drain considerably, even if the backlit keys are off and brightness is at 2 and I'm using wifi. Blah. What kind of sorcery is happening in those Haswells? D:

Ovid

3 hour lectures really make me wish I had a new Haswell Air. My MBA doesn't die, but the battery does drain considerably, even if the backlit keys are off and brightness is at 2 and I'm using wifi. Blah. What kind of sorcery is happening in those Haswells? D:
Which spec do you have?

Fuchsdh

You always remember your first time... especially if you take a photo of it to remember it by.

iJuskSo41gSwC.JPG

10.1 was such a different beast.

Only version I've had a kernel panic in, I think. I recently bought 10.2 so I could revel in the pinstripes once again. If you take out the fat borders of brushed metal I'd have to say 10.3 was my favorite UI.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Only version I've had a kernel panic in, I think. I recently bought 10.2 so I could revel in the pinstripes once again. If you take out the fat borders of brushed metal I'd have to say 10.3 was my favorite UI.
Kernel Panics have gotten much rarer over time for me. I only get them very very occasionally now and when they happen, the OS is so nice that it just reboots itself for you. Plus most stuff is designed to save its state these days that KP's are no longer a problem at all.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kernel Panics have gotten much rarer over time for me. I only get them very very occasionally now and when they happen, the OS is so nice that it just reboots itself for you. Plus most stuff is designed to save its state these days that KP's are no longer a problem at all.

That's odd. "Only occasionally" is still way too much. On the occasions I've gotten a kernel panic I immediately start looking to change computers. Thankfully I can count the number of times that's happened on one hand in over a decade of using Macs. What computer do you have?

Talon

...I feel like I've missed out because I've never experienced a KP.

I have had a logic board failure, though. That was fun. Actually, it was because Apple just replaced my 2008 MacBook Pro with a 2011 Unibody one for a $300.

Fuchsdh

...I feel like I've missed out because I've never experienced a KP.

I have had a logic board failure, though. That was fun. Actually, it was because Apple just replaced my 2008 MacBook Pro with a 2011 Unibody one for a $300.

Haha, I know my logic board failed, I think my GPU mighta' too on my MBP 5,1. Other than that I've never had a Apple-fault hardware or software issue (I did completely screw up my PowerMac G5 through a combination of corrupt fonts and a power interruption during a disk defrag though. Yuck.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's odd. "Only occasionally" is still way too much. On the occasions I've gotten a kernel panic I immediately start looking to change computers. Thankfully I can count the number of times that's happened on one hand in over a decade of using Macs. What computer do you have?
Kernel Panics can happen just because an app fucked up. It doesn't mean something's wrong with your computer. It just means a piece of software didn't agree with what the OS wanted to do at that moment. And only occasionally means literally only occasionally. As in once a year if at all. They're not an immediate "Your computer is dying buy a new one lol" indicator.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Aren't all of those being held back by Thunderbolt 2? I thought that wasn't coming until November.

Don't think so, you can already get products with Thunderbolt 2, like the Asus Z87-Deluxe motherboard.

Fuchsdh

Don't think so, you can already get products with Thunderbolt 2, like the Asus Z87-Deluxe motherboard.
Do we think that the new MBPs will get Thunderbolt 2 the same time as the Mac Pro, though?

Also, question--the better speeds are all on tr comp side, right, so a Thunderbolt cable will get you the speed increases? Or do you need a TB2 cable?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do we think that the new MBPs will get Thunderbolt 2 the same time as the Mac Pro, though?

I don't know, I would guess that they do, since they are "Pro" products as well. Personally, I don't care too much. I am looking forward to Haswell and the PCIe-based SSD.

Also, question--the better speeds are all on tr comp side, right, so a Thunderbolt cable will get you the speed increases? Or do you need a TB2 cable?

I don't really understand what you mean, but Thunderbolt 2 doesn't need new cables. You can use your existing Thunderbolt 1 cables. The only difference between both standards is the controller chip.

Ovid

Tarius1210 said:
Hey guys, I'm in bit of a dilemma right now. The SSD in my mid-2012 MacBook Air died over the weekend after only 14 months of light use.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they quoted me at $280 for a replacement with an unbelievable turnaround time of one month...yes one month. Apparently, Apple has been seeing alot of of failing SSD for this particular model and there's a waiting list.

As of right now I'm running the OS on an external drive. So here's my dilemma, should I bite the bullet and pay Apple $280 OR get the OWC 120GB SSD?

How reliable is OWC? They do offer a three year warranty which seems like a HUGE plus.

BTW...Apple only offers 90 days for the replacement :(
UPDATE

I received the OWC Aura SSD yesterday. So far so good, however, the laptop seems to run a bit warmer now. I hope it's not a sign of bad things to come.

Anyways, I feel better about my purchase since it comes with a 3-year warranty. Apple can't match that.

Flek

Banned
Could you guys tell me if i can install windows via bootcamp to an external drive or something? Iam kinda pissed but i need windows for one application only and don´t want to waste my precious MB air space for it

kidko

Could you guys tell me if i can install windows via bootcamp to an external drive or something? Iam kinda pissed but i need windows for one application only and don´t want to waste my precious MB air space for it

You will need to have a partition on your internal drive, whether you install windows on it or not. Once you get to the windows install portion, you can select an external drive, but you'll still need that partition on your internal one.

Flek

Banned
You will need to have a partition on your internal drive, whether you install windows on it or not. Once you get to the windows install portion, you can select an external drive, but you'll still need that partition on your internal one.

so like 1GB is enough right?

sikma42

Banned
Any chance they will release a haswell non-retina MacBook Pro? Not really sure if I need retina and I'd rather save the extra cash to buy Word and a case.

Top Bottom