• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Ovid

Call Applecare. Often I've had luck even out of warranty when the problem is as widespread as you indicate. Just be pleasant as they have no obligation to help but generally I've never hit an issue where Apple didn't help me out. Worst they can do is not help you and you can go for an aftermarket fix.
I bought the aftermarket kit this afternoon, but I'll take your advice and give Applecare a call tonight.

Thanks.

survivor

Banned
2) yes, especially since you mention

3) running xcode and unity, aka game development. Max the RAM and get a 256 SSD... and you still might need external storage to work on games.

Thanks.

I went ahead and got base CPU model with 8GB ram and 252GB SSD. Hope it ships fast.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Call Applecare. Often I've had luck even out of warranty when the problem is as widespread as you indicate. Just be pleasant as they have no obligation to help but generally I've never hit an issue where Apple didn't help me out. Worst they can do is not help you and you can go for an aftermarket fix.

Pretty much this. You will have to find out how far out of warranty the unit is, If it's only a few months there's a chance Apple will issue you a CS code for the replacement drive.

All you can do is give it a shot.

If you were an aussie then you would still be covered under the new odd 2 year warranty thing. That makes things fun.

Are there any rumors of the next iteration of Apple's Thunderbolt Display having other kinds of inputs on it so that it can be used with a PC? I would love to buy a couple of them but that's the only thing stopping me because I'm going to be building a gaming PC and want to be able to use them with it as well as my Mac. I'm thinking I may just end up going with a couple Dell Ultrasharps instead and getting an IOGear KVM switch for the setup instead but I'd be missing out on all the cool docking type features in the TB Display along with the beautiful glossy screen and general aesthetics of it which bums me out.

Hey guys, I'm in bit of a dilemma right now. The SSD in my mid-2012 MacBook Air died over the weekend after only 14 months of light use.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they quoted me at $280 for a replacement with an unbelievable turnaround time of one month...yes one month. Apparently, Apple has been seeing alot of of failing SSD for this particular model and there's a waiting list.

As of right now I'm running the OS on an external drive. So here's my dilemma, should I bite the bullet and pay Apple $280 OR get the OWC 120GB SSD?

How reliable is OWC? They do offer a three year warranty which seems like a HUGE plus.

BTW...Apple only offers 90 days for the replacement :(
Holy shit that lifespan is short as hell. Hope it doesn't happen to my rMBP because I too missed the AppleCare cutoff :(

Deku Tree

Are there any rumors of the next iteration of Apple's Thunderbolt Display having other kinds of inputs on it so that it can be used with a PC? I would love to buy a couple of them but that's the only thing stopping me because I'm going to be building a gaming PC and want to be able to use them with it as well as my Mac. I'm thinking I may just end up going with a couple Dell Ultrasharps instead and getting an IOGear KVM switch for the setup instead but I'd be missing out on all the cool docking type features in the TB Display along with the beautiful glossy screen and general aesthetics of it which bums me out.

Apple has never been in the business of selling displays to the general public to be used on anything other than a Mac. I would not bet on having other kinds of inputs on any Next Gen Apple Display. They have literally NEVER done it in the past.

Apple has never been in the business of selling displays to the general public to be used on anything other than a Mac. I would not bet on having other kinds of inputs on any Next Gen Apple Display. They have literally NEVER done it in the past.
Damn that sucks... I found an ASUS PC motherboard with thunderbolt but it apparently can only output to a single thunderbolt monitor. That is a bummer.

OWC did fine by me when I upgraded my Mac Mini to add a SSD. Their website had great videos and instructions on what the hell to do and they not only sold the drive but also a separate kit for installing it.

That being said...installing something in a MBA sounds like a whole other can of worms. I would make sure to watch a YouTube video of the procedure before putting money down.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
OWC did fine by me when I upgraded my Mac Mini to add a SSD. Their website had great videos and instructions on what the hell to do and they not only sold the drive but also a separate kit for installing it.

That being said...installing something in a MBA sounds like a whole other can of worms. I would make sure to watch a YouTube video of the procedure before putting money down.
What Mini was it? I have a 2010 mini and it's so slow. I am thinking of installing an SSD and would love to know the speed increase I'd be getting for my trouble.

Fuchsdh

What Mini was it? I have a 2010 mini and it's so slow. I am thinking of installing an SSD and would love to know the speed increase I'd be getting for my trouble.

I was thinking about swapping out my 5400 RPM stock for a SSD, especially since I think the hard drive speed is going to lead to dropped frames if I try and capture HD video from my Blackmagic, but the fact that you have to remove basically the rest of the computer to get at it makes me pause.

Mid 2011 Mini, so a bit faster. I can't really speak too much to before and after except to say I already had a same era Air and this put them both on the same awesome responsiveness level, but with the addition of being able to keep the original HD as a secondary volume.

The change job is not for the faint of heart. There are two steps which can kill your mini if you aren't careful. And in the end I couldn't get the shield to fit perfectly so I left out one retainer screw. But it's still solid as a rock.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was thinking about swapping out my 5400 RPM stock for a SSD, especially since I think the hard drive speed is going to lead to dropped frames if I try and capture HD video from my Blackmagic, but the fact that you have to remove basically the rest of the computer to get at it makes me pause.
I know. The instructions on iFixIt are so long and arduous. But I really want to do it one day.

Mid 2011 Mini, so a bit faster. I can't really speak too much to before and after except to say I already had a same era Air and this put them both on the same awesome responsiveness level, but with the addition of being able to keep the original HD as a secondary volume.

The change job is not for the faint of heart. There are two steps which can kill your mini if you aren't careful. And in the end I couldn't get the shield to fit perfectly so I left out one retainer screw. But it's still solid as a rock.
See, my 2010 mini has basically the exact same specs as my 2010 MBP did. I replaced the drive in my Pro with an SSD and it made it so much faster. I expect the same exact thing would happen to the mini. But those instructions are soooooooooo long and.. well I already said.

But I'd still like to do it one day.

Of course I'd probably completely forget about it if they updated the mini with a low end SSD/Flash option for the same price. Even if it's 64GB. It's all I need.

sikma42

Banned
Recent purchasers of the MacBook Air, do you notice the low resolution of the machine? Really want this but the resolution just seems so low for a laptop I hope to last 2 or 3 years.

What happens if you don't supply the documentation? Do they just cancel your order or is it more serious?

They charge the difference to the credit card used to make the purchase (happened to a friend when he ordered an iBook G4 (to date this anecdote-- anyone have any Carbon-14)).

Gaaraz

Got an appointment on Sunday for my girlfriend's white Macbook, two problems with it:

1) Cracks on the hinges
2) Magsafe adapter has stopped charging reliably (90% of the time it doesn't work)

What's the likelehood they will be able to do anything about the hinges in particular? It's still in warranty but I'm not that hopeful they can do much with a 3 year old machine

Thanks

Gorgon

Recent purchasers of the MacBook Air, do you notice the low resolution of the machine? Really want this but the resolution just seems so low for a laptop I hope to last 2 or 3 years.

Nope, not really. The resolution is lowish but the screen is 13'', so it's perfectly fine. Probably soesn't look as pretty as retina, but I've seen 13'' Pro retina in a store side by side with Air and you don't really get a night-and-day difference unless you put your eyes on top of the screen and look carefully.

And as The Real Abed says, the rez is higher than on the non-retina pros.

I have a problem with my Macbook Air. The Wifi connection stops at random intervals and it doesn't go back even when I disable then reenable Wifi, or if I reboot. It only comes back at random.

When I try to reconnect, it says the connection attempt timed out or it couldn't find my network, even though it shows up in the list. Also, all my other devices can connect to the same network with no problem whatsoever.

What's wrong? How do I fix this?

kidko

I have a problem with my Macbook Air. The Wifi connection stops at random intervals and it doesn't go back even when I disable then reenable Wifi, or if I reboot. It only comes back at random.

When I try to reconnect, it says the connection attempt timed out or it couldn't find my network, even though it shows up in the list. Also, all my other devices can connect to the same network with no problem whatsoever.

What's wrong? How do I fix this?

Oh boy. Well, here's the epic thread on Apple about it. Apparently it's still not fixed :/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?start=1395&tstart=0

Ovid

I called Applecare and they said that they can't do anything over the phone. They told me to get in contact with the store manager and see if I can get an exception since I'm on about 70-something days out of my warranty.

Man this sucks.

I still am hoping for a silent (or not) update of the Mac mini sooner rather than later. I don't technically even need one though I am obsessed with just seeing new hardware on the Apple Store website. I don't care that Mavericks is out yet, just announce a release date along with the specs. Almost everyone else has refreshed their machines so unless Apple is waiting on putting Iris and Iris Pro equipped processors inside, let's get a move on. There are however still some dual core i5 mobile processors with HD 4600 graphics to be released at the end of the year though.

TUSR

Banned
I still am hoping for a silent (or not) update of the Mac mini sooner rather than later. I don't technically even need one though I am obsessed with just seeing new hardware on the Apple Store website. I don't care that Mavericks is out yet, just announce a release date along with the specs. Almost everyone else has refreshed their machines so unless Apple is waiting on putting Iris and Iris Pro equipped processors inside, let's get a move on. There are however still some dual core i5 mobile processors with HD 4600 graphics to be released at the end of the year though.

Im in the same boat as you, it would be awesome for my entertainment center.

Carefully eyeing the Haswell chart on Wikipedia, if Iris or Iris Pro is not used I am looking at the 37W quad core processors that are available.

Volotaire

Very near deciding on a Macbook Air for university (comparable ultrabook on the market in the UK won't come with haswell for a while/are more expensive). However, because I'm trying to go for the cheapest necessities, I noticed that the macbook pro base model has a much larger base HDD (as opposed to the slightly limiting SSD on the base Air) and the RAM is upgradeable at a cheap price apparently.

Therefore the 8GB 13 inch Air against the 4GB base model Pro is 885 vs 860 (+ memory increase in the future). with student discount.

So question to you guys is what besides the Haswell upgrade is next for the baseline Pro's on the 10th Sep? Resolution upgrade possible? (not expecting retina!)

Also, would I miss the SSD that much if I opted for a Pro? Weight differences significant on user experience?

Thanks a lot.

On a side note, I'm impressed how HD 5000 deals with less intensive gaming.

How would a 13 inch Macbook Air do with some Premiere Pro/After Effects work?

Only light stuff... I currently have a 2010 Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2.66 i7, 8GB Memory) and a dedicated editing Hackintosh. I'd preferably be selling my 2010 Macbook Pro now, saving up a bit and getting an Air.

TUSR

Banned
How would a 13 inch Macbook Air do with some Premiere Pro/After Effects work?

Only light stuff... I currently have a 2010 Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2.66 i7, 8GB Memory) and a dedicated editing Hackintosh. I'd preferably be selling my 2010 Macbook Pro now, saving up a bit and getting an Air.

How does your Pro handle it?

Gorgon

What? Why did Apple sell me a Mac that they knew didn't work? That's completely unacceptable. They just lost a customer.

I've had my Macbook Air 13 for a week or so and have not had such problems. Hopefully it stays that way. I guess it does not affect all production lots.

Fuchsdh

Probably $3k.
I'd be amazed if there was a $2K entry model, but $3K is prolly more likely until the cost of that superfast storage drops.

I wonder if they'd actually give a release date at the September event, fall is coming.

Anyone remember how cheap the PowerMac G4's were? I remember I got a Digital Audio 466 MHz with 640 MB of RAM for only $1600 or so, I think at one point they had a SKU that started at $1400. Even the entry G5 were $2K.

kidko

My 2006 Mac Pro ended up being about $2800... but I used it up until a few months ago as my main audio workstation.

Fuchsdh

Bumping this as I'm in the same position.
Must have apps anyone?

Depends what you're doing. If I lost all my applications and had to start from scratch I'd probably grab 1Password, Growl, and Pages (if I didn't really need MS Word). Newsbar RSS reader is pretty great if you still read feeds.

Top Bottom