• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am 100% doing a clean install for Mavericks, but should I use MA for future installations? Do the OS files that get imported clutter up the system at all?

EDIT: Wait, does MA even work on one machine? I always thought it was for Mac/PC to Mac?
MA works on anything. The Windows version is just a separate app that runs on a Windows machine and tells OS X over the network that it's available and serves up the files. MA will work from drive to drive or from folder on a drive to the same drive or across a network.

I just upgrade in place when installing a new OS and use MA on a backup drive when buying a new machine. Haven't had any problems at all. It's not going to clutter your system if you don't let it. You can pick and choose files if you need. (Not sure how granular)

I mean use whatever method you want. Whichever works for you. But MA is a flawless option. You can even use it AFTER the fact once the OS is installed. (It's in Utilities. Of course if you try to import a full user and it's the same user you're on, it will create a new user (I believe) with those files. (So it's not going to like merge the two users. In the case you want to bring files from another machine with the same user on it, just do the manual method of drag and drop.)

Fuchsdh

4GB VRAM seems like an insane number for a Mac. I envy you, my dude. Rocking a 2012 15" rMBP with a lowly 1GB. :(

Does seem pretty crazy. Luckily I've got a 5770 1GB and a Quadro 4000 2GB for my workstation needs, and she chugs along pretty well. It's still amazign to me how slow video memory was at going up-- I remember you could max a G4 to 1GB of RAM but were stuck with 32MB graphics.

Futureman

I think I'm going to "unfuse" my Fusion drive.

I pretty much upgraded my iMac to make animating my cartoon faster, so I just want to use the flash storage basically as my "cartoon drive" and anything related to that will go on the flash.

should I also put all of my applications on the flash? or just Creative Suite?

muddream

Banned
I don't understand the comments behind killing off the 13" MBP this year. There is no way Apple can deduct ~$300 from the baseline 13" rMBP to replace it.

The difference is actually $100 with the same hard drive, which makes the rMPB look like a bargain. In it's current state the regular MBP is such a blatant fuck you to the customer that I can't see them updating it (or they would''ve done so a year ago). From Apple's perspective there's a cheaper (MBA) and similarly priced (rMBP) option and they're both better value for money.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I'm going to "unfuse" my Fusion drive.

I pretty much upgraded my iMac to make animating my cartoon faster, so I just want to use the flash storage basically as my "cartoon drive" and anything related to that will go on the flash.

should I also put all of my applications on the flash? or just Creative Suite?
How big is the Flash portion? Put all the apps you can on it. At least the big ones that you know will benefit. Small apps won't matter much. But big ones will benefit. If you can fit all of them, you might as well.

Use the Flash for working and the HDD for archival. There you go.

Iacobellis

The difference is actually $100 with the same hard drive, which makes the rMPB look like a bargain. In it's current state the regular MBP is such a blatant fuck you to the customer that I can't see them updating it (or they would''ve done so a year ago). From Apple's perspective there's a cheaper (MBA) and similarly priced (rMBP) option and they're both better value for money.

I actually haven't thought about this. I remember how you could upgrade a 15" MBP on Apple's site to match the baseline 15" rMBP, and it would come out to be more expensive albeit the Retina Display and thinner enclosure.

muddream

Banned
I actually haven't thought about this. I remember how you could upgrade a 15" MBP on Apple's site to match the baseline 15" rMBP, and it would come out to be more expensive albeit the Retina Display and thinner enclosure.

Yeah, $100 more and the GPU is weaker as well.

Futureman

How big is the Flash portion? Put all the apps you can on it. At least the big ones that you know will benefit. Small apps won't matter much. But big ones will benefit. If you can fit all of them, you might as well.

Use the Flash for working and the HDD for archival. There you go.

the flash is 128 GB.

here's my question...

if I do this, I'll want to do Migration Assistant after from my old iMac. I guess I'm not sure how MA will handle the two different drives? I have about 500 GB of data right now.

if MA puts all of my stuff onto the 3 TB traditional HD, after the fact, can I just drag and drop applications from the 3 TB drive to the 128 GB of flash? Obviously I could just do that with a file, but I'm not sure if it's the same with an application.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
the flash is 128 GB.

here's my question...

if I do this, I'll want to do Migration Assistant after from my old iMac. I guess I'm not sure how MA will handle the two different drives? I have about 500 GB of data right now.

if MA puts all of my stuff onto the 3 TB traditional HD, after the fact, can I just drag and drop applications from the 3 TB drive to the 128 GB of flash? Obviously I could just do that with a file, but I'm not sure if it's the same with an application.
You might be right. If the amount of files on your older drive are too big you might not be able to distribute them across drives. So just import the Apps and settings (Both Library's) onto the SSD then do a manual transfer of the rest later.

MA will tell you how much space everything takes.

Futureman

so I split my Fusion drive and I have everything rocking now on my new set up. Was super easy, was a little scared about messing with Terminal.

Question... I thought when you install OS X they gave you an option to not install certain languages and other stuff.... didn't see that. And now I'm obviously going to be very picky about what resides on my flash storage. Is there an easy way to clean up unnecessary install files??

Fuchsdh

so I split my Fusion drive and I have everything rocking now on my new set up. Was super easy, was a little scared about messing with Terminal.

Question... I thought when you install OS X they gave you an option to not install certain languages and other stuff.... didn't see that. And now I'm obviously going to be very picky about what resides on my flash storage. Is there an easy way to clean up unnecessary install files??
Monolingual.

kidko

dgLg922.jpg

Finally! Oct 22, here we come

Fuchsdh

I love how people try to come up with double meanings for the tag lines. "Cover means they're going to make a keyboard cover like the Surface!"

Fuchsdh

That's some bad logic there in that proof. They must not have a creative bone in their body, or they'd understand "we wanted to do something different" covers basically every artistic choice in that invitation.

Look at all the previous invites and see how many (or few) had any secret meanings. More to the point the invite itself is a dead ringer for this previous one:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-27076_3-10011478-17.html

I know there's always going to be some worthless speculation out there, but goddamn, TUAW, at least try. I guess it could entirely be a big troll, but it still makes me sad they even went for the linkbait.

kidko

That's some bad logic there in that proof. They must not have a creative bone in their body, or they'd understand "we wanted to do something different" covers basically every artistic choice in that invitation.

Look at all the previous invites and see how many (or few) had any secret meanings. More to the point the invite itself is a dead ringer for this previous one:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-27076_3-10011478-17.html

I know there's always going to be some worthless speculation out there, but goddamn, TUAW, at least try. I guess it could entirely be a big troll, but it still makes me sad they even went for the linkbait.

TUAW basically makes it their mission to snark any kind of speculation and rumors now. It's like they've become the Apple rumor police.

Look at all the previous invites and see how many (or few) had any secret meanings. More to the point the invite itself is a dead ringer for this previous one

One could argue that there's some playfulness in the wording/design of Apple's invitations compared to what they announced. e.g. 'We've got a little more to show you': iPad mini.

So, in hindsight, I expect some sort of connection will be abled to be drawn between what's announced and the invitation. I don't actually believe that a larger iPad will be announced without a great deal more supplier leaks.

Goldenhen

Oh dear my brother's MacBook Air decided to freeze itself during his class at uni and he forced shut it down. Then turn it on and the folder with ? mark appear.

So is there a way to fix it? He's coming home in 2 hours.

I have the latest MBA and have been having an issue where when I close the screen, I re-open the laptop to a black screen with a mouse cursor. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am up to date with my software updates and the MBA has been acting weird since the last update I did (something about windows 8 compatibility)...anyone else having this issue?

japtor

One could argue that there's some playfulness in the wording/design of Apple's invitations compared to what they announced. e.g. 'We've got a little more to show you': iPad mini.

So, in hindsight, I expect some sort of connection will be abled to be drawn between what's announced and the invitation. I don't actually believe that a larger iPad will be announced without a great deal more supplier leaks.
New Mac mini, Mac Pro mini tube, 11-12" retina MBP! Mini Me Tim Cook sidekick! Everything miniaturized!
Oh dear my brother's MacBook Air decided to freeze itself during his class at uni and he forced shut it down. Then turn it on and the folder with ? mark appear.

If you have a Mac with compatible OS and a USB stick, try making a recovery drive to boot from just in case, and hope his SSD isn't hosed.

kidko

To be fair, the Apple speculation industry is one of the most pathetic institutions of the web.

Oh yeah, totally. I'm in the middle. When I'm in the market (like now for the rMBP), I love digging into any rumor I can find, but if not then I laugh along with the skeptics.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

The first thing you should try is hold Option immediately after the BONG and see if it shows anything as bootable. If you can get into the Recovery partition, the drive is probably fine, but a system file was damaged or something. Simple fix. If nothing shows up, do what japtor suggested and use a USB stick to make a recovery boot.

Fuchsdh

Oh yeah, totally. I'm in the middle. When I'm in the market (like now for the rMBP), I love digging into any rumor I can find, but if not then I laugh along with the skeptics.
I usually just filter my news through Gruber and Jim. Less bullcrap based on supplier nonsense, etc.

VPhys

Anyone considering upgrading from a 2012 rMBP to a 2013 model?

Love my rMBP but my desire for new toys is truly a sickness. But I can't think of any logical reason to upgrade.

japtor

Love my rMBP but my desire for new toys is truly a sickness. But I can't think of any logical reason to upgrade.
For the 13" at least, faster GPU and more battery life. 15" is a bit of a mystery depending on what or if they pair up a discrete GPU with the Iris Pro (maybe cheaper low end without discrete GPU like the iMac), but still more battery life on that one too.

I've thought about it for the past few months, and I just don't think I can justify upgrading at this point. I'd like to wait another year at least.

ShowDog

Seeing as how their computer sales have taken a serious dive, I think they should capitalize on this whole colors thing and release plastic macbooks in the same colors as the new iphone 5c sans retina screens for $800 for a play at the college student market. Laptop prices have been falling for years and the entry level macbook has only come down about $100 since 2006. I don't see anywhere to go from an industrial design standpoint that is going to actually sell more Apple laptops.

Fuchsdh

Seeing as how their computer sales have taken a serious dive, I think they should capitalize on this whole colors thing and release plastic macbooks in the same colors as the new iphone 5c sans retina screens for $800 for a play at the college student market. Laptop prices have been falling for years and the entry level macbook has only come down about $100 since 2006. I don't see anywhere to go from an industrial design standpoint that is going to actually sell more Apple laptops.

At least for the foreseeable future I don't see Apple changing up its design radically. Ive is still in charge and they've basically just iterated on acrylics, glass and aluminum for the last decade. Maybe more stuff will go that black anodized aluminum they're doing for the Pro (I really want to see what it feels like, since they photograph it like it's so shiny), but I doubt you're going to move away from what we've got, especially as laptops get thinner...

titanium again?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I went from a 2011 model to a 2012 model and that wasn't as big a bump. But if the Retina Pro didn't exist, I probably wouldn't just go to the 2013, though it is pretty nice. I'd probably just wait for 2014. I really shouldn't be upgrading every year which is why I'm going all out for the rPro when it comes out so I don't have to upgrade again so soon. (I plan on getting at least 3 years out of the next one.)

Wait for 2014. 2012 isn't a bad vintage. Unless you got way too small specs and really need to stretch your legs. (That was my reasoning. I had a 4GB with 128 SSD and decided to upgrade to the 8GB with 256.)

Mobius 1

I'm hanging on to my OG rMBP. I think Maverick's improvements on battery life and video performance will give it a new push in performance, and it's already a rather powerful machine.

Can you resize a Bootcamp partition? I use it mostly for gaming, but some games nowadays are pretty heavy so I'm running out of space. I read a few things, but you have to pay for some apps, and some less than encouraging experieces with them....

Do I just delete it, and make it again just bigger? If I can just increase the space, it would save me a lot of time for sure.

Futureman

Can you resize a Bootcamp partition? I use it mostly for gaming, but some games nowadays are pretty heavy so I'm running out of space. I read a few things, but you have to pay for some apps, and some less than encouraging experieces with them....

Do I just delete it, and make it again just bigger? If I can just increase the space, it would save me a lot of time for sure.

not sure but I'd like to hear the response. I'm thinking of making a Windows partition for some Steam games. How big did you originally make it and what do you want to go up to now?

I'm pretty sure you just have to reformat the entire drive.

Only 100 GB, but I can only keep a few games on it. DOTA 2 and TF2 keep getting bigger and bigger (Dota 2 used to be like 2 gb now it is almost 6 gb, TF2 is over 12 GB). Some games like the Resident Evils are also pretty big (RE6 is 16 gb).

TUSR

Banned
Only 100 GB, but I can only keep a few games on it. DOTA 2 and TF2 keep getting bigger and bigger (Dota 2 used to be like 2 gb now it is almost 6 gb, TF2 is over 12 GB). Some games like the Resident Evils are also pretty big (RE6 is 16 gb).
Install your steam library on a USB 3 drive.

Top Bottom