• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So. About them Retina MacBook Pro's.

Now I have to decide which one to get. I wanted a 13", but the 15" has those much nicer features like Pro graphics and a Discrete option and Quad-Core.. I guess I could get used to the larger size and weight. But I'm soooo used to my 13" Air.

The 13" Retina is only a half pound heavier than the Air, but the 15" is a pound and a half. But dem graphics! So tempting. So expensive. Why couldn't we get Discrete as a BTO on the 13". Stupid smaller size! lol

TUSR

Banned
So. About them Retina MacBook Pro's.

Now I have to decide which one to get. I wanted a 13", but the 15" has those much nicer features like Pro graphics and a Discrete option and Quad-Core.. I guess I could get used to the larger size and weight. But I'm soooo used to my 13" Air.

The 13" Retina is only a half pound heavier than the Air, but the 15" is a pound and a half. But dem graphics! So tempting. So expensive. Why couldn't we get Discrete as a BTO on the 13". Stupid smaller size! lol

If I know anything about you, get the power.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If I know anything about you, get the power.
Yeah. I probably will. I'll suck it up and take the extra 1.5 pounds. I guess the benefit is that I can probably just walk into a store and get that model since the one with the dGPU in it is pretty much great as it is. 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and a nice beefy i7. It's $1600, but fuck, this is going to be my computer for the next 3 years at the very least, so it'll save me money in the long run.

I'll do it! I feel if I went with the 13" I'd regret it, even if it saved me almost $1000. I'd hate myself and end up just getting another machine so soon anyway. This time I'll go all out.

As soon as I save up a few hundred more to cover that extra amount.

Can't wait!

kennah

So torn between the iPad Mini versions. If the retina had been released at the old price point it would have been a no brainer, but I can't justify $500+ on this thing (since there's no point in getting the 16gig)

I know it's an updated video card with 2gb of RAM instead of 1, but is it really $400 more if you want discrete graphics on the 15" rMBP than the outgoing model, or am I missing the option to add the 750M as a BTO option on the base model? I'm actually just asking for curiosity's sake, as I have last years rMBP and I'm not looking to upgrade quite yet.

Futureman

selling my old 27" imac and it looks pretty beautiful. Oh Jony Ive.

nick.jpg

Fuchsdh

Mac Pro starting at $2999. Will be interesting to see if next year's model drops any or they'll just stick to the same price point and add a commensurate number of features/horsepower.

Wish the damn thing still came with 6 RAM slots and a second flash bay though. Could have made it just 1/6th the volume of the old Pro instead of 1/8th and made it far more useful. Same issue with the iMac--pushing the thin and light element a little too much where they don't need to.

Probably going to load up my AE comps on a flash drive and take them to the Apple store to see how much faster it will actually be when the Pros arrive.

both mine and my gf's laptops have crapped out on us (they're like from 2005/2008).

looks like we're getting the 13'' rMBP, add 512gb of storage.

Flek

Banned
Mac Pro starting at $2999. Will be interesting to see if next year's model drops any or they'll just stick to the same price point and add a commensurate number of features/horsepower.

i dont think the mac pro will update next year. Its the first big update since how many years?

Fuchsdh

i dont think the mac pro will update next year. Its the first big update since how many years?
Generally before the 2010 drought they were updating within 12-16 months. I guess it depends once again on Intel's roadmap, but it's been so wonky as of late I don't really trust their guidance.

Jordan

I know it's an updated video card with 2gb of RAM instead of 1, but is it really $400 more if you want discrete graphics on the 15" rMBP than the outgoing model, or am I missing the option to add the 750M as a BTO option on the base model? I'm actually just asking for curiosity's sake, as I have last years rMBP and I'm not looking to upgrade quite yet.

This has upset me. I'm sure the base version of last years model was at £1800 with dedicated graphics?

This has upset me. I'm sure the base version of last years model was at £1800 with dedicated graphics?

I'm upset that the base version of the 15inch doesn't get the discrete graphics anymore considering if you add all the options to it like the upgraded processor, RAM, SSD, it still the same price as the $2599 with the 750GT. So essentially the 750GT is given for free on the beefed up one.

Can someone answer me this.

Both the 15rMBP are of the same weight. The cheaper one for $1999 and the beefed up one for $2599 with the Nvidia 750GT? I don't get it.

kidko

I popped by the Apple store one more time to touch the two rMBPs one more time and just couldn't get over how nice the 13" feels. I decided to go form over function this time around. We'll see how it goes. Beefed it up pretty high though:

• 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

muddream

Banned
Poor mini shown no love, now I don't understand why it didn't get a silent update along with the iMacs. Mini and TD were the two things I was most excited about :/

The price of the GT 750M rMBP ain't that bad compared to the base model, but I'd rather get a 13" and PS4/Xbone instead of a mediocre mobile gaming GPU.

So torn between the iPad Mini versions. If the retina had been released at the old price point it would have been a no brainer, but I can't justify $500+ on this thing (since there's no point in getting the 16gig)

but you can justify $400+ on a woefully outdated product? lol..

kennah

Poor mini shown no love, now I don't understand why it didn't get a silent update along with the iMacs. Mini and TD were the two things I was most excited about :/

The price of the GT 750M rMBP ain't that bad compared to the base model, but I'd rather get a 13" and PS4/Xbone instead of a mediocre mobile gaming GPU.

The specific old Mini I was looking at was a 64 gig for $350. I passed on both. Just not going to get a new iPad this year :( (still rocking an OG iPad 1)

Fuchsdh

It is kind of bizarre they didn't pop the 3G retina iPad into that slot. Keeping the original iPad mini makes far more sense.

gokieks

At first I couldn't decide between an upgraded (8GB/256GB) 13" rMBP or base 15" rMBP, but then I realized that only the high-end 15" has a dGPU, so I was going to buy the 13.

Then somebody offered me a maxed out configuration of the last-gen 15" rMBP with 16GB/512GB in pristine condition and with almost 2 more years of APP for an amazing price, so I'm going to end up getting that. I won't use it in traveling situations often enough for the battery life improvements to really matter, and everything else about the last gen rMBP is more than still good enough for my needs.

Yep. Kinda glad I stuck with my current one. The price jump to get a dedicated graphics card just isn't worth it.

I'm upset that the base version of the 15inch doesn't get the discrete graphics anymore considering if you add all the options to it like the upgraded processor, RAM, SSD, it still the same price as the $2599 with the 750GT. So essentially the 750GT is given for free on the beefed up one.

Can someone answer me this.

Both the 15rMBP are of the same weight. The cheaper one for $1999 and the beefed up one for $2599 with the Nvidia 750GT? I don't get it.

With that pricing I'm glad that I bought last years model. I think I paid like $1899 with education pricing for the base model which included the 650M. It is still more computer than I need, and I don't think I could justify paying $2600 for a laptop just to get a dedicated graphics card.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's gonna be a couple weeks before I can get my rPro. So I look forward to benchmarks and reviews in the meantime.

Especially Anandtech and ArsTechnica.

With that pricing I'm glad that I bought last years model. I think I paid like $1899 with education pricing for the base model which included the 650M. It is still more computer than I need, and I don't think I could justify paying $2600 for a laptop just to get a dedicated graphics card.
Yeah. That's silly. I would have been fine with 256GB SSD, but the only model that has a dGPU is 512 which adds what, $300 to the price? Not that I wouldn't use that 512, but I'd be hard pressed to.

Water

The "starting from" price of an Apple laptop with a decent GPU has been bad before, but this is ridiculous.

When the new Airs came out, I briefly considered waiting for the Haswell MBPs in case they'd finally put a decent GPU on the 13" MBP. Then I remembered Apple designers despise decent GPUs and bought the Air. Looks like I was right, but I didn't think Apple would even pull the GPU out of the reasonably-priced 15" MBP model.

The "starting from" price of an Apple laptop with a decent GPU has been bad before, but this is ridiculous.

When the new Airs came out, I briefly considered waiting for the Haswell MBPs in case they'd finally put a decent GPU on the 13" MBP. Then I remembered Apple designers despise decent GPUs and bought the Air. Looks like I was right, but I didn't think Apple would even pull the GPU out of the reasonably-priced 15" MBP model.

Basically they "cut" the price of the base 15" rMBP by not including a dedicated card which would be fine if they would give you the option to add it to the base model for say $200. A $2600 entry point for a laptop card is pretty damn extreme, even by Apple's standards.

Futureman

hmmm so I split my Fusion Drive but I'm thinking of returning my iMac for the new rMBP (I'm in the 14 day return period).

not sure what to do. Might just tell Apple and see what they say... I'm assuming when they get a return that they send back the computer to the mothership and zap it back to factory settings, and Fusion Drive is really just a software thing.

I work with a guy who just came from the Apple Store, he was a tech there. I FB messaged him but I don't know if he'll see it because I'm not friends with him yet.

any ideas? Might just keep the iMac.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Is the difference between:

2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz

and

2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz

Worth $90 for video editing?

apricot

Hey all first time posting in this thread but I was hoping for some laptop purchasing advice after today's event!

I've been looking to upgrade my 2008 MacBook and just can't decide what to go with. Right now I'm thinking about a Pro, as I'd like to be able to do some gaming (either on Mac OS or Windows with BootCamp) as well as occasional streaming/recording and editing footage. I'm able to do some of this rather well on my current hardware but it gets pretty laggy.

I really don't want to spend more than $2000 if possible! And I would be using the computer for at least 3 years (probably more like 5 like my current one). I wouldn't be adverse to purchasing a 2012 model, as retina isn't really a big draw for me.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Fuchsdh

Hey all first time posting in this thread but I was hoping for some laptop purchasing advice after today's event!

I've been looking to upgrade my 2008 MacBook and just can't decide what to go with. Right now I'm thinking about a Pro, as I'd like to be able to do some gaming (either on Mac OS or Windows with BootCamp) as well as occasional streaming/recording and editing footage. I'm able to do some of this rather well on my current hardware but it gets pretty laggy.

I really don't want to spend more than $2000 if possible! And I would be using the computer for at least 3 years (probably more like 5 like my current one). I wouldn't be adverse to purchasing a 2012 model, as retina isn't really a big draw for me.

Thanks for your help in advance :)
The base model 15 inch is probably fine for your needs. Only isse is whether or not some games will actually start on integrated graphics (I know that was an issue when the mini first swapped, not sure if it is now.)

Blackhead

Redarse
(Cross-posting from the iPad even thread)
No Thunderbolt Display Refresh with USB 3.0?
I'm predicting by December when the Pro's come out.

Argh! I wanted an Apple 4K Display so badly. But even if Apple announced one, I'd have nothing to run it. The new rMBP specs:
Dual display and video mirroring:
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors...

HDMI video output

Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

Mac Pro specs in comparison:
Connect up to
Three 4K displays
Six Thunderbolt displays

I guess I should just wait for the Mac Pro :/

ijm72

Ordered the rMBP 13" 8GB/256GB model yesterday and got a shipping notification this morning it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to have it in my hands I am upgrading from a 2007 Macbook that couldn't even hold a charge anymore.

jcutner

Ordered the rMBP 13" 8GB/256GB model yesterday and got a shipping notification this morning it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to have it in my hands I am upgrading from a 2007 Macbook that couldn't even hold a charge anymore.

Yup, mine says tomorrow too! I went with Standard Shipping, you?

ijm72

Yup, mine says tomorrow too! I went with Standard Shipping, you?

Yeah Standard shipping too. When I first ordered it gave me a delivery date of the 29th which I was fine with. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw today that it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Argh! I wanted an Apple 4K Display so badly. But even if Apple announced one, I'd have nothing to run it. The new rMBP specs:

This sounds like it could just be a problem with finding real 4K displays and is perhaps either an oversight or software fixable. 20Gbps is over the 18Gbps spec of HDMI 2.0 and should be enough for 60hz 3840x2160 displays. I suppose it could need two thunderbolt cables but since they are using channel bonding in Thunderbolt 2 I'm not sure that's necessary. It may just not be fixed until there are consumer level 4K + HDMI2 devices on the market.

Anyone have any expedient removing the SuperDrive on a MacBook Pro and replacing it with a SSD with one of those kits? I was thinking about throwing in a 128GB to my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It's fully maxed with 8GB of memory, so this is the last possible upgrade I can do for it. I don't really need that much more storage. Would just use the SSD for apps and the OS.

Any preferences on what kit to use, or what SSD? Is it worth the money/time?

kidko

Anyone have any expedient removing the SuperDrive on a MacBook Pro and replacing it with a SSD with one of those kits? I was thinking about throwing in a 128GB to my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It's fully maxed with 8GB of memory, so this is the last possible upgrade I can do for it. I don't really need that much more storage. Would just use the SSD for apps and the OS.

I did it with my 2011 MBP and it worked great for a long time... until my mainboard blew and it fried the component that holds the drive in the superdrive slot. It was an OWC kit. Pretty easy to install. One tip: don't screw it all back together until you're sure it's working correctly or you'll just put needless wear and tear on those tiny fragile screw holes in your chassis.

jcutner

I used the OptiBay on my Mid-09 MacBook Pro 13".
I used a 128GB Corsair M4 SSD and paired it with a 500GB HDD.

There are two dual i5 processors for the 13" retina and only dual i7. The i5-4258U, i5-4288U, and i7-4588U. All obviously contain the Iris graphics.

With the 15" retina, you have the i7-4750HQ, i7-4850HQ, and i7-4960HQ. The latter of which was the special processor that was reserved only for Apple according to Semiaccurate way back when. All of course contain Iris Pro graphics.

TUSR

Banned

Did it on my brothers, dead simple.

I prefer Samsung drives, good combination of speed and reliability. But there are really good ones at lower price points.

Edit: Man it blows my mind that Victoria, BC doesn't have an official Apple Store.

Edit Edit: Also, still miffed about the exclusion of the Mac Mini updates. Even a stealth update would have been nice.

Futureman

Happy to see NeoGAF's banner is optimized for retina display.

WHOOAAAA! Posting from my new 15" rMBP. 2.3 i7, 16 GB, 2 GB VRAM, 512 GB flash. Retina is insane... gonna download Adobe CC now.

Top Bottom