• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Futureman

I will give more impressions soon but I'm going on a 4 day road trip to North Carolina to visit my buddy. I'm taking along my photo/vid camera so I'll test the laptop out.

What do you other rMBP users set the "Scaling" to under System Preferences>Display? I'm set at 1680x1050 right now and like it... maybe even go smaller when in After Effects. Is the performance hit it mentions significant??

NeoGAF favicon is sharp and Google's are blurry! ha

Adobe CC is great on here. After Effects was a pain to install, I think it was a Mavericks thing, but I got it sorted out. About to test rendering speeds and all that.

I love having portability back and the option to go to a friend's or coffee shop or whatever to work on stuff sometime instead of being stuck behind the iMac, but I am already considering an external monitor for when I'm home.

I did just return my 27" iMac and now I'm stuck with an 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory stick of late-2013 iMac RAM. It's $75 on Amazon, I'll sell it for $45 shipped to the US... just want to get enough back to buy a nice case for my MBP. PM me.

Futureman

actually I think I'm gonna use the "looks like 1920x1200." It looks awesome in After Effects and I can just leave Chrome with +1 zoom.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
actually I think I'm gonna use the "looks like 1920x1200." It looks awesome in After Effects and I can just leave Chrome with +1 zoom.
Yeah, if I get a 15", I might just use that too. If not I'll just go to 1680x1050.

I really want to play with both models first though. Does BestBuy sell this stuff? And if so, do they carry each different spec tier? Or just the low end of each size?

apricot

The base model 15 inch is probably fine for your needs. Only isse is whether or not some games will actually start on integrated graphics (I know that was an issue when the mini first swapped, not sure if it is now.)

Okay, thanks! I really don't play that many games on the computer anyway, so that's probably not a major issue. As long as it streams/records okay I'll be happy :)

james1234

Neo Member
Only Toshiba with Sandforce in 2012 model have serious problem according to my research at the time. You have Samsung since you got 256GB which is fine.

I believe the SF controller is not at fault as the same work efficiently with other OEMs. In this context, it should be the compatibility issues against the giants & have heard Toshiba has not adhered to the standards.

omgkitty

Will the base 15 rMBP be okay for light gaming? Nothing too crazy, maybe just some older games and some indie stuff. Thinking of stuff like Gone Home that I haven't been able to play up until now. Maybe some older Valve stuff like Team Fortress 2.

Will the base 15 rMBP be okay for light gaming? Nothing too crazy, maybe just some older games and some indie stuff. Thinking of stuff like Gone Home that I haven't been able to play up until now. Maybe some older Valve stuff like Team Fortress 2.

I'd like to know this as well...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd like to know this as well...
Me too. Actually I'd also like to see benchmarks for the 13" with the regular Iris.

I mean it's the difference between $1800 and $2600. Just for a discrete GPU. (Well, and an i7 and 8GB more RAM. Okay, it's the difference between $2000 and $2600.)

Goldenhen

I believe the SF controller is not at fault as the same work efficiently with other OEMs. In this context, it should be the compatibility issues against the giants & have heard Toshiba has not adhered to the standards.
Toshiba with SF controller is having serious issue on MBA 2012. Previous model 2011 has Toshiba with their SSD controller was performed slower than Samsung.

You should be fine for light gaming. Iris Pro graphic is about 15% - 30% slower than 650m and 750m. But Iris Pro graphic will struggle once you increased the resolution in game setting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You should be fine for light gaming. Iris Pro graphic is about 15% - 30% slower than 650m and 750m. But Iris Pro graphic will struggle once you increased the resolution in game setting.
I really can't wait for benchmarks from Ars and Anand to show up. I eagerly await them.

I'll also probably end up spending the $600 more for the dGPU just to be able to play those games at the full resolution of the Retina display. (I never ever liked lower resolutions on LCD's. The blurriness is too noticeable.)

Goldenhen

muddream

Banned

It really depends on what's acceptable for you, I'd suggest looking at last year's performance and multiplying the fps with a factor of ~0.8

You'll have some people claiming that their rMBP runs every game and you'll get people like me making snide remarks because we don't understand the appeal of sub current gen console resolution/visual fidelity/performance. Pre widescreen-era games and indies run on any kind of laptop these days, so "light gaming" shouldn't be part of your decision imo.

edit:

I really can't wait for benchmarks from Ars and Anand to show up. I eagerly await them.

I'll also probably end up spending the $600 more for the dGPU just to be able to play those games at the full resolution of the Retina display.
(I never ever liked lower resolutions on LCD's. The blurriness is too noticeable.)

...and which games might that be? World of Warcraft? Good luck with anything more recent, the 750m is not exactly well suited for ~3K gaming.

kidko

shipment notification on my 13". Should be here on the 30th. Can't wait to load it up with music apps and get back to work!

I'm going to order my rMBP this weekend. (It will be the $2600 option, parents will write it off from the taxes.)

So I got a few questions: What software would you recommend for programming/coding? Especially Java. (And not Eclipse or software which helps me with recommending classes etc.)
Most have software? Does it exist? How's bootcamp?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
...and which games might that be? World of Warcraft? Good luck with anything more recent, the 750m is not exactly well suited for ~3K gaming.
I don't really have anything too demanding. The most recent game I have is Tomb Raider and that's coming to Mac eventually. I have DOOM 3 which is 8 years old and doesn't run under Parallels sadly. (Yes, I do kinda want to play it) Just Cause 2 is a lost cause right now. L.A. Noir I haven't even tried yet but I'd really like to at some point. And I'd also love to get Mirror's Edge as well. I don't know how well it will work because I haven't even bothered installing it.

The rest work fine but I just want to get a smoother experience. Maybe eventually GTA IV and V in the future? Alan Wake and Brutal Legend have kinda choppy framerate, and even though I only fucked around in the bathroom of Duke Forever, I'd assume later on it'd be really low FPS once I got into the open. I also own Fable III which I won't even touch until they remove GFWL from it. (Hopefully) Rayman Origins works great except for occasional slowdown in busy levels.

Don't judge my game choices. They were on sale on Steam.

I'm going to order my rMBP this weekend. (It will be the $2600 option, parents will write it off from the taxes.)

So I got a few questions: What software would you recommend for programming/coding? Especially Java. (And not Eclipse or software which helps me with recommending classes etc.)
Most have software? Does it exist? How's bootcamp?
For Java specifically, the Mac version of Netbeans does the job for me.

Goldenhen

I don't really have anything too demanding. The most recent game I have is Tomb Raider and that's coming to Mac eventually. I have DOOM 3 which is 8 years old and doesn't run under Parallels sadly. (Yes, I do kinda want to play it) Just Cause 2 is a lost cause right now. L.A. Noir I haven't even tried yet but I'd really like to at some point. And I'd also love to get Mirror's Edge as well. I don't know how well it will work because I haven't even bothered installing it.

The rest work fine but I just want to get a smoother experience. Maybe eventually GTA IV and V in the future? Alan Wake and Brutal Legend have kinda choppy framerate, and even though I only fucked around in the bathroom of Duke Forever, I'd assume later on it'd be really low FPS once I got into the open. I also own Fable III which I won't even touch until they remove GFWL from it. (Hopefully) Rayman Origins works great except for occasional slowdown in busy levels.

Honestly if you don't have access to gaming PC then I would get top model with 750m GPU. Or buy refurbished early 2013 or mid 2012 if money is the issue.

So for those with the new Mac's, here's a question.

iWorks is supposed to be free. Do we go to the App Store, through our account and download it? Would it be unlocked for good or is it just for the particular Mac you're using?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Honestly if you don't have access to gaming PC then I would get top model with 750m GPU. Or buy refurbished early 2013 or mid 2012 if money is the issue.
Money is no issue. The Verge has convinced me to get the top of the line model.

I'ma gonna fill up dem gigabytes with games. And other stuff I guess. I haven't had 500GB since I had a 2010 MBP that I put a 500GB HDD in. (Before switching to a 128GB SSD and never looking back.) And I can only dream of 16GB RAM.

My only regret will be the larger size and extra pounds. I mean I'm so used to an Air. It'll take some getting used to. But I think I'll cope.

omgkitty

Already starting to regret not going with the $2600 model, even though I didn't really have the money to afford it. I got approved for a Barclaycard to buy one, but I was only approved up to $2000. That extra RAM and video card sound so good :(

TUSR

Banned
Already starting to regret not going with the $2600 model, even though I didn't really have the money to afford it. I got approved for a Barclaycard to buy one, but I was only approved up to $2000. That extra RAM and video card sound so good :(
Why not just use apple's financing option instead of maxing out some random credit card?

So I have a 2012 15" rMBP. I didn't think I had any interest in upgrading, but after the Verge review and Geekbench scores I'm starting to consider it. The only way I would though is if I could cover a decent part of the cost by selling last years model. Does anyone have experience selling MacBooks? I could use any pointers that people have for me. Hell, if anyone here would want it I'd be willing to work something out.

kidko

So I have a 2012 15" rMBP. I didn't think I had any interest in upgrading, but after the Verge review and Geekbench scores I'm starting to consider it. The only way I would though is if I could cover a decent part of the cost by selling last years model. Does anyone have experience selling MacBooks? I could use any pointers that people have for me. Hell, if anyone here would want it I'd be willing to work something out.

Check ebay sold listings to get a feel for what people are paying. I used Amazon to sell my 2011 mbp. Was easy enough. Remember to take into account how much shipping and the seller website's cut will take out of it when you're deciding on a price. I just went for the lowest price on there so I could move it quickly.

Futureman

Just skimmed the Verge review of the 15" rMBP.

he mentions Portal 2 at the end... Hmmm. I should try some gaming on here. If I want to play Portal 2, what is the best controller option? Can I get a 360 controller to sync with my MBP and use it with Portal? I have zero interest in Bootcamp.

Futureman

Check ebay sold listings to get a feel for what people are paying. I used Amazon to sell my 2011 mbp. Was easy enough. Remember to take into account how much shipping and the seller website's cut will take out of it when you're deciding on a price. I just went for the lowest price on there so I could move it quickly.

I might end up having to sell my iMac on either eBay or Amazon. I've sold a ton of stuff through eBay but never used Amazon. Is Amazon better for any reason?

kidko

I might end up having to sell my iMac on either eBay or Amazon. I've sold a ton of stuff through eBay but never used Amazon. Is Amazon better for any reason?

Amazon has cool options like being able to send it to their warehouse to hold until someone buys it and they ship it to the buyer. That stuff costs money though, it's really only for full-time sellers. I just wanted to try out Amazon.

VPhys

I will give more impressions soon but I'm going on a 4 day road trip to North Carolina to visit my buddy. I'm taking along my photo/vid camera so I'll test the laptop out.

What do you other rMBP users set the "Scaling" to under System Preferences>Display? I'm set at 1680x1050 right now and like it... maybe even go smaller when in After Effects. Is the performance hit it mentions significant??

NeoGAF favicon is sharp and Google's are blurry! ha

Adobe CC is great on here. After Effects was a pain to install, I think it was a Mavericks thing, but I got it sorted out. About to test rendering speeds and all that.

I love having portability back and the option to go to a friend's or coffee shop or whatever to work on stuff sometime instead of being stuck behind the iMac, but I am already considering an external monitor for when I'm home.

I did just return my 27" iMac and now I'm stuck with an 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory stick of late-2013 iMac RAM. It's $75 on Amazon, I'll sell it for $45 shipped to the US... just want to get enough back to buy a nice case for my MBP. PM me.

After getting used to the retina screen, I had to get rid of my external monitor. I just couldn't go back. Here's hoping for a reasonably priced 4k external monitor in 2014.

Fuchsdh

After getting used to the retina screen, I had to get rid of my external monitor. I just couldn't go back. Here's hoping for a reasonably priced 4k external monitor in 2014.

What's your definition of reasonable? A 32" 4K monitor is going to be $3000 for a good while.

VPhys

What's your definition of reasonable? A 32" 4K monitor is going to be $3000 for a good while.

Well, Seiki has a 4k 50" TV for a grand. Granted it's not the best quality but is a move in the right direction, so I'm hoping that technology works its way down to monitors.

Something like 27" to 30" for under $1500 from an A or B teir manufacturer would be nice.

Fuchsdh

Well, Seiki has a 4k 50" TV for a grand. Granted it's not the best quality but is a move in the right direction, so I'm hoping that technology works its way down to monitors.

Something like 27" to 30" for under $1500 from an A or B teir manufacturer would be nice.

It's going to probably be two or three years' wait. I am surprised Apple didn't drop a 4K monitor of their own, considering they've given us really expensive monitors before (the 30" DVI Cinema Display was I believe $3300 when it was released in 2004).

Still, productivity-wise you're better off with two smaller monitors than a huge one, especially if you're trying to drive a HiDPI display.

I just booted up my newish (I got it like 2 weeks ago) 27-inch iMac and it was stuck on the white screen before boot for like a good minute until the apple logo came up. After that everything booted fine, but I found it unusual that it is all of a sudden take a long time to start up after being fine for the last two weeks.

What could be causing this? I haven't really installed anything on either my Mavericks or Windows 8.1 partition in the last few days, I haven't done any major system changes or anything. So this is kind of out of nowhere, and I'm kind of freaked out because I don't want anything to happen to it =/

Futureman

I just booted up my newish (I got it like 2 weeks ago) 27-inch iMac and it was stuck on the white screen before boot for like a good minute until the apple logo came up. After that everything booted fine, but I found it unusual that it is all of a sudden take a long time to start up after being fine for the last two weeks.

What could be causing this? I haven't really installed anything on either my Mavericks or Windows 8.1 partition in the last few days, I haven't done any major system changes or anything. So this is kind of out of nowhere, and I'm kind of freaked out because I don't want anything to happen to it =/

what is your HD? Fusion, solid state or traditional?

I found my traditional HD iMac that I just upgraded from could have some weird behavior like that from time to time. If you are solid state or Fusion though, I'd maybe be concerned.

With regards to the Mac mini (if they release one this year), I was reading on Apple Insider that Iris is apparently 65% faster than the HD 4000 so I can only imagine how much faster it is over the HD 3000 and possibly even the AMD Radeon 6630M. On top of that imagine how much faster Iris Pro is over the HD 4000, HD 3000, and the 6630M.

what is your HD? Fusion, solid state or traditional?

I found my traditional HD iMac that I just upgraded from could have some weird behavior like that from time to time. If you are solid state or Fusion though, I'd maybe be concerned.

um, I think it's just a regular HD.. I haven't changed it or anything.

Mobius 1

Do you have external disks connected to it? If you do, your computer is probably looking for bootable partitions on them before deciding to boot up OSX from the regular volume. Disconnect everything and try it out.

muddream

Banned
It's going to probably be two or three years' wait. I am surprised Apple didn't drop a 4K monitor of their own, considering they've given us really expensive monitors before (the 30" DVI Cinema Display was I believe $3300 when it was released in 2004).

Still, productivity-wise you're better off with two smaller monitors than a huge one, especially if you're trying to drive a HiDPI display.

Yeah, a retina 27" screen seems more like a gimmick (so there's a 50/50 chance Apple does it)...I believe we'll have to wait for curved OLED monitors to get the most out of that resolution from a productivity angle, which is several years off.

Flek

Banned
i can't decide help me mac gaf =O

i have a new 2013 MB Air, aim doing Design Work and stuff.

I need something bigger should i go and buy:

A) a new 27" base imac (with 1tb fusion) for 1.758,82 €

or

b) a thunderbolt display + an external HDD (thunderbolt) for 979 Euros

-----------

i actually preferred option a) because of the increased performance and i planed on keeping the iMac for 5 years. But option b) would allow me to upgrade the macbook alone in lets say 3 years (they won't stop supporting the display right?). Also option b) would give me enough money to buy a PS4 and a weekend trip for my girlfriend -___-

still can't decide. And yeah i know i could get a monitor cheaper but i love apples design aesthetic

jcutner

Am I doing something wrong, or is this to be expected?

If I set my rMBP 13" to Scaling for 1440x, or 1650x because Retina is too small (I'm coming from a 1280x800 on my old MBP 13", so while it looks better, the screen real estate is the same) and then I load up a YouTube 1080p video full screen, it lags? Theres a serious drop in frame rate and it's not smooth.

I thought this machine would be able to handle it? I thought I'd be able to play back 4K youtube video's at native res :( Too much to expect?

gokieks

Am I doing something wrong, or is this to be expected?

If I set my rMBP 13" to Scaling for 1440x, or 1650x because Retina is too small (I'm coming from a 1280x800 on my old MBP 13", so while it looks better, the screen real estate is the same) and then I load up a YouTube 1080p video full screen, it lags? Theres a serious drop in frame rate and it's not smooth.

I thought this machine would be able to handle it? I thought I'd be able to play back 4K youtube video's at native res :( Too much to expect?

The way OS X does Retina scaling may not be obvious: if you select 1440 x 900 or 1650 x 1050, what it's actually doing is rendering at 4x (2880 x 1800 or 3300 x 2100) and then scaling that down to the native resolution of the display (2560 x 1600). Which means if you're playing a 1080p (likely Flash) video at full screen, what it's actually doing is upscaling it to a much higher resolution, which yes, can be more than an iGPU can handle.

Top Bottom