• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

Ok so iOS question but I'd rather ask here. My dad got a iPad 2 mistakenly thinking the cheap iPad SKU would be the 4 instead. Does he have 14 days to return like macs?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Reset SMC and PRAM, though it sounds like your issue won't be remedied by this.
Yeah.

I hate this. It didn't do this until 3 days ago now. I took it to work and left it in a locker fully charged shut down. Would not boot up at all.

So now I get it home and plug it in, and press power, it boots up and then proceeds to run super slow for 5 minutes. (Processor maxed out the whole time.) I accidentally moved it and pulled the power out in the process and it shut off. It reported 0% battery.

Then after 5 minutes, bam, back to 85%, even though it was higher than that when I shut it down this morning.

i just have to repost this question for you guys:

I own a 2013 13" macbook air (base model with 8 GB Ram) but i need something bigger too. I am a designer so i work with the adobe suite (mostly illustrator, photoshop and indesign - also some web coding).

So now i can´t decide between getting a 27" iMac (3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 version with 1TB Fusion) for 1.934,94 Euros

OR simply get a Thunderbolt Display for 879,41 €.

Pro and Cons (and why i cant decide)

iMac 27"

Pro:
- Faster
- own system
- comes with mouse / keyboard
- has individual audio jack
- up to 3 TB of space which i really really need
- i could game on it somewhat

Con:
- own system -> i have 2 systems to look out for (and to buy apple care for)
- way more expensive
- has to last for my work for 4-6 years

Thunderbolt + MB Air

Pro:
- cheaper
- only 1 system to look after
- easier to upgrade to a MB Pro / Air Retina in less than 2 years if needed
- Could use the rest of the money to get a PS4 (therefore instant gaming win)
- i could pickup a nas server later and use this for my data

Con:
- the display has no audio jack - which pisses me off
- i have to buy a external HDD with thunderbolt or firewire lets say for 200 Euros
- i might have to buy a stand for the macbook for 50 Euros
- the SSD is waaay waay to small, even for the Creative Suite, i have to put nearly all my data on the external drive (might be to slow????)
- will the thunderbolt display still be supported by future MacBooks?

So please macgods help me decide ive been arguing for and agains for a complete week now

Dont get the Thunderbolt display. Its outdated and there will probably be a new refresh coming up.

I bought the 27" Dell U2713hm and its much cheaper than the TBD with newer ports and far better ergonomics. Its a gorgeous screen and its matte so it doesnt have those awful TBD glares.

Laptop + Big monitor is the best combo. Wont tie you down to work at one place only.

So any of you sexy boiz updated to Mavericks?

Does it work with After Effects, Premiere, Creative Cloud in general?

Final Cut 7?

Logic Pro & X?

Your heart and soul?

Fuchsdh

So any of you sexy boiz updated to Mavericks?

Does it work with After Effects, Premiere, Creative Cloud in general?

Final Cut 7?

Logic Pro & X?

Your heart and soul?

Eh, I've got 24 gigs of RAM and a desktop computer. Not getting much out of Mavericks and I'd rather not mess up any off my applications (or, more likely, video games.) I'm waiting.

VPhys

Dont get the Thunderbolt display. Its outdated and there will probably be a new refresh coming up.

I bought the 27" Dell U2713hm and its much cheaper than the TBD with newer ports and far better ergonomics. Its a gorgeous screen and its matte so it doesnt have those awful TBD glares.

Laptop + Big monitor is the best combo. Wont tie you down to work at one place only.

I was wavering with my response but didn't even think of this option.

The Thunderbolt display is in fact a dinosaur. Either get the iMAC or the Dell 27" recommended above.

kennah

I don't run full screen applications and I prefer the classic style of spanning windows.

You can have that as well, the toolbar on every window is pretty helpful though.

The memory management of everything is amazing, my c2Duo is behaving like brand new. All in all a very solid update, made all the sweeter by being free.

NYR

#YOLO

Prepping to ship now....

15'' Macbook Pro with Retina Display
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB Flash Storage

NYR

1TB Flash? Damn!
No doubt! Check out dem stats from macrumors:
zKBGjG9.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
#YOLO

Prepping to ship now....

15'' Macbook Pro with Retina Display
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB Flash Storage
I won't lie. I have been realllllly tempted to pay the extra $500 for that 1TB of storage. I could really make use of it, but goddamn. That's a hell of a lot of money. Plus it would mean I'd have to count on storage prices dropping in 3 years so I could keep getting 1TB.

Dayum.

I forget, is the SSD Flash board in the rPro still removable? So that after market modules can still be purchased? I'm getting 512 anyway. But man, 1TB would be so useful.

FOUR HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS!.. okay, five-hundred. Whatever.

giga

The review makes it sound like the Iris 5100 is essentially on par with the HD5000 in the MacBook Air, surely this isn't the case?
It's not. The main difference is that the Iris 5100 has a higher max clock speed. And the main difference between the 5100 and 5200 Pro is that the latter has eDRAM.

f2qi+

Deku Tree

Wait why does apple offer the "2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz" in the 13" rMBP but they only offer the 2.6 GHz i7 in the 15" ?

Weird... They used to gimp the options on the laptops with smaller screens. Now the reverse???

Wait why does apple offer the "2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz" in the 13" rMBP but they only offer the 2.6 GHz i7 in the 15" ?

Weird... They used to gimp the options on the laptops with smaller screens. Now the reverse???

The 2.6 GHz i7 is a quad core processor so it's not gimped at all, it's actually superior.

Water

I believe the 15-inch has a Quad-core over the 13-inch's dual-core, that might account for the lower clock speed.
It's not just quad core, but also has a maximum boost clock of 3.8GHz whereas the 13-inch's processor tops out at 3.3GHz. So the 15-inch is also going to be faster when only two cores are being used. You can no longer say anything about the true speed of the processor based on just the base clock (see new Air's 1.3GHz i5 processor...). Of course the boost clock isn't the whole truth either, because the processor will only reach it in certain conditions and for a certain duration. It's more important than ever to always look at real benchmark results.

VPhys

For me it was worth it.

My mid 2010 iMac had 3 PSU failures and I got a new iMac (late 2013) as a replacement for free. And my Apple Care ended this month.

Wow, talk about bad luck ( or good depending how you look at it.) Why did they replace it? Were they just out of all of old PSU's?

How do I play The Walking Dead on my Macbook Air with the Xbox 360 controller?

I was told to install some Xbox 360 driver for Mac OS so I downloaded it, installed it and rebooted but whenever I plug in my controller the screen turns grey with an error message saying there was an error and the Mac has to reboot.

I don't want to play with the keyboard, what should I do?

Your Mac is having a kernel panic. Uninstall that driver. More and more games have 360 controller support built-in, so I would try it without a driver. If that doesn't work, wait for the driver-maker to update for 10.9.

I've uninstalled the driver (I got it from http://tattiebogle.net/).

Tried playing Hotline Miami and The Walking Dead but the controller wasn't even detected. The 'X' button doesn't even light up when the controller is plugged in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You need the TattieBoggle driver in order to use an Xbox controller. OS X dies not have any sort of controller drivers at all like OS 9 did. You will need the driver.

I didn't know it wasn't working in 10.9. I have to try it out when I get home. It was working during the DP's. I had no crashes. I don't think it's the driver here. Try reinstalling it again.

The only problem I've ever had is that the OS X driver reports all the buttons IDs differently from Windows so I have never had it work right in any Source engine game.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My stock 13" got here yesterday.

ME866LL/A
2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Graphics
Built-in battery (9 hours)

I think 512GB is enough. Since I'll probably dump it in a few years, I don't think paying more for 1TB was work it. Next time, however, I'll be sure to get more than 8GB RAM.

You need the TattieBoggle driver in order to use an Xbox controller. OS X dies not have any sort of controller drivers at all like OS 9 did. You will need the driver.

Indeed, however: games like Borderlands 2 and Batman: Arkham Whatever (????) need the driver to not be installed. It is irritating, I have a mix of games that need the driver and those that don't.

EDIT: What the hell, apparently I have it installed (and working in 10.9). Now I'm wondering what the hell game it was that made me dance through installing it and uninstalling!? Castle Crashers?

Edit #2: Nope. Anyway, some game didn't work with the 360 controller & TattleBoogie* driver installed and a post by Feral or Aspyr or someone said to try without and it worked.

*I know, I just like that better.

Futureman

how do I erase my HD on my iMac to sell it?

when I hold down CMD+R during a restart and go into Disk Utility, it says it can't unmount the drive when I try to do a 3-pass erase.

EDIT: NEVERMIND Gotta use a USB recovery drive.

when I hold down CMD+R during a restart and go into Disk Utility, it says it can't unmount the drive when I try to do a 3-pass erase.

It might let you wipe the main partition, but you can't wipe the whole disk as that includes the recovery partition.

Easier to use the USB stick if you've got one.

Ravidrath

Got my new MacBook Pro today, began setting it up by installing Bootcamp.

...Turns out the new systems have some kind of driver issue with Bootcamp! The mouse and keyboard don't work in Windows 8.

Really frustrating, since one of the biggest reasons for upgrading for me was for the new GPU under Windows.

How do I play The Walking Dead on my Macbook Air with the Xbox 360 controller?

I was told to install some Xbox 360 driver for Mac OS so I downloaded it, installed it and rebooted but whenever I plug in my controller the screen turns grey with an error message saying there was an error and the Mac has to reboot.

I don't want to play with the keyboard, what should I do?

Turns out Android File Transfer was the program conflicting with the Xbox 360 controller driver. Uninstalling Android File Transfer fixed the problem.

Just ordered this:

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

With the following configuration:

• 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
• Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
• Accessory Kit

Can't wait!! It'll be my first Mac, any essential tips/apps I should know about?

Futureman

Just ordered this:

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

With the following configuration:

• 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
• Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
• Accessory Kit

Can't wait!! It'll be my first Mac, any essential tips/apps I should know about?

CMD+Q quits apps and CMD+H hides apps. I use those two more than anything probably.
CMD+SHIFT+4 brings up a cross hair that you can click and drag to take a screenshot.

If an app is hanging (not often), you can click the Apple logo up top and go to "Force Quit" and kill the app.

Familiarize yourelf with Mission Control. 5 finger swipe up!

Flek

Banned

hey thx for your reply, you made me rethink the thunderbolt display. Ive read up on the dell you recommended and while it seems to be a nice monitor all the reviews gave me the impression that it is like playing the lottery if you buy one. It seems like the dell has so many mistakes - I've read about dead pixels, backlight bleeding, burn in, high frequency noise and more. I really don´t want to ship 10 monitors back and forth before getting one thats OK.

So i checked out the other sub 1000 Euro monitors, there is a Eizo but even here the customers wrote about most of the errors the dell has. That and the eizo is nearly 700 Euros. So not even far away from the 870 Euro Thunderbolt.

It just seems like while the thunderbolt is the oldest Display, and the ports are outdated. Its still the best quality wise in this price range.

I know even IF apple is going to refresh them with 4k displays - they would only work with macbook pros. I don't think current macbook airs or even macbook pros would support them.

dark_chris

How much you think I could get outta this Macbook Pro I got?

Mid-2010
15 in Screen.
2.8 i7 Core.
Anti-glare screen.
750GB hSSD
500GB HDD (removed the disc drive)
8GB of Ram.
Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. 512MB.

Im interested in getting the new refreshed Retinas.

Futureman

Mid-2010
15 in Screen.
2.8 i7 Core.
Anti-glare screen.
750GB hSSD
8GB of Ram.

I sold that one in 2011 for ~$1,100 on eBay. Mine had just a standard 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, hi-res screen option (not retina obv), 2.6 i7.

that's probably not much help but it was funny seeing those specs again!

from what I remember the Intel processors the in the 2011 model were a huge jump so that hurt my resale at the time.

gokieks

Mid-2010
15 in Screen.
2.8 i7 Core.
Anti-glare screen.
750GB hSSD
8GB of Ram.

Check what some place like Gazelle will give you, then bump that up by maybe 30% or so.

Top Bottom