• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

whitehawk

Banned
Okay, thanks for the advice guys, I guess I will get it lol :) I'm glad I get an edu discount on the warranty. Makes it a lot easier to buy when I'm saving $60.

I guess with Macs it's not easy for a 3rd party to repair it, only apple can do it. Got it.

So, my current Macbook (07) died yesterday, and I need to upgrade. Is the Pro still too far away from an update, or should I just learn to love Windows in the meantime and wait patiently for a month?

(I know that no one knows, but saw in the thread that the Pro is currently supply constrained, and was wondering what the time between that happening and a new machine coming out is).

123rl

I guess this is the most relevant place to ask. I just bought a second hand wireless Apple keyboard (the 2007 version) and it won't work. It won't switch on even after putting in new batteries. Is it borked and should I just return it?

Chris R

Vinterbird said:
So, my current Macbook (07) died yesterday, and I need to upgrade. Is the Pro still too far away from an update, or should I just learn to love Windows in the meantime and wait patiently for a month?

(I know that no one knows, but saw in the thread that the Pro is currently supply constrained, and was wondering what the time between that happening and a new machine coming out is).

There might be a minor MBP update in a few weeks. Would probably just be a CPU speed bump.

The full update (new design, Ivy Bridge, possible loss of the Superdrive, ect) wouldn't be until sometime next year.

Barrett2

Thanks to a sweet deal on Amazon, bought 8gb of RAM for my new MBP.

I read on a random forum that if you upgrade to 8gb of RAM the MBP automatically detects it and ups the graphics performance, or something?

MBP was running fine on 4gb, but I figure it will be nice to have buttery smoothness when playing the occasional Steam game.

lawblob said:

I read on a random forum that if you upgrade to 8gb of RAM the MBP automatically detects it and ups the graphics performance, or something?

MBP was running fine on 4gb, but I figure it will be nice to have buttery smoothness when playing the occasional Steam game.
I upgraded my iMac from 4gb to 8gb right when I got it. I don't know if I even really need it but RAM is so crazy cheap now, I just feel better having it. Did the same with my gaming PC recently - 4gb of DDR3 for $50. Crazy.

bbagwell

I'm rolling with 8GB ram on my MBP and 12GB on my iMac. Such a cheap upgrade and soooo worth it.

ysRyL.png

Running Spotify, iTunes, Mail.app, iChat, Yojimbo, Firefox, Reeder and Remote Desktop Connection

bionic77

lawblob said:

what deal?

Jasoco

Banned
patrickthehedgehog said:
Good time to buy an Apple TV? With a jailbreak is it easy to stream/play .MKV files from my Mini wirelessly?
With a Jailbreak, you can install Plex and run the server on your mini and play whatever you want.

Then again you can also buy a cheaper Roku and install the Plex channel and do supposedly the same thing. Though the audio is currently not as good. (Seems to only do 2.1)

Gentlemen, gentlemen. I require your help, urgently.

I moved my iMac (2006 Intel) to my living room temporarily to work on a project there, in comfort.

As soon as I reconnect the thing and turn it on, the fans speed up like mad. The HD is at 31 degrees Celcius. I checked around the net, and the only thing I can find is that there may be a faulty temperature sensor, causing the fans to speed up.

Regardless, I'm playing it safe and I'm backing up my stuff now. Fortunately, I only have about 100 GB of stuff out of 500 GB of available space, so I'm not too worried... but I do hope my iMac doesn't bite it here. It's pretty much the family computer, and we simply cannot afford another one right now. I wouldn't mind a PC if it weren't for my family's atrocious surfing habits.

dwebo

SouthernDragon said:
Gentlemen, gentlemen. I require your help, urgently.

I moved my iMac (2006 Intel) to my living room temporarily to work on a project there, in comfort.

As soon as I reconnect the thing and turn it on, the fans speed up like mad. The HD is at 31 degrees Celcius. I checked around the net, and the only thing I can find is that there may be a faulty temperature sensor, causing the fans to speed up.

Regardless, I'm playing it safe and I'm backing up my stuff now. Fortunately, I only have about 100 GB of stuff out of 500 GB of available space, so I'm not too worried... but I do hope my iMac doesn't bite it here. It's pretty much the family computer, and we simply cannot afford another one right now. I wouldn't mind a PC if it weren't for my family's atrocious surfing habits.
HD as in hard drive temp? You'll want to look at cpu or gpu instead, as that'll more likely be the reason for a loud fan. But if that wasn't happening before, probably just something wrong with the smc: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

thatbox

Banned
I finally installed a Snow Leopard upgrade that had been pestering me for months on my 2007 MBP, and now the backlight doesn't work once the kernel is loaded.

Just a warning to the rest of you :(

RDreamer

I know this isn't Mac hardware, but it is an Apple hardware question. I have an iPod classic that isn't too old (I think 2 years), and just the other day the headphone jack started giving problems. It's loose, I think. You have to hold it a certain way otherwise you only get sound from one speaker. If I take this into an Apple store will they fix it for me? How much will they charge? If they won't, is this something that's easy to fix on my own?

zychi

Banned
RDreamer said:
I know this isn't Mac hardware, but it is an Apple hardware question. I have an iPod classic that isn't too old (I think 2 years), and just the other day the headphone jack started giving problems. It's loose, I think. You have to hold it a certain way otherwise you only get sound from one speaker. If I take this into an Apple store will they fix it for me? How much will they charge? If they won't, is this something that's easy to fix on my own?
Apple store quoted me 175 to fix it out of warranty. I said fuck it and use my
Iphone only now. This was 6 months ago tho

RDreamer

zychi said:
Apple store quoted me 175 to fix it out of warranty. I said fuck it and use my
Iphone only now. This was 6 months ago tho

Holy shit, that's insane. Kind of thought it'd be 100 bucks at absolute most and just a quick thing they could do. Kind of pissed off now. My Creative lasted like 5 freaking years of full use and still works just fine two later, and this only got me two... bah.

Anyone know how hard it is to fix myself?

whitehawk

Banned
RDreamer said:
Holy shit, that's insane. Kind of thought it'd be 100 bucks at absolute most and just a quick thing they could do. Kind of pissed off now. My Creative lasted like 5 freaking years of full use and still works just fine two later, and this only got me two... bah.

Anyone know how hard it is to fix myself?
Very easy. You have to buy a headphone jack/hold button part online. Should cost $10 to $30 depending on where you go. I actually have a 30gb video from 2006. Last year the battery would only last 30 minutes, so I bought a replacement battery for $20, and replaced it myself. It even came with an ipod opening tool. You just pry it open and plug the parts in, pretty easy. Now my iPod is having the same problem as yours, so I'll be replacing that part now.

This should be the part you need (if you are the 6th gen, right?)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LR77FW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RDreamer

whitehawk said:
Very easy. You have to buy a headphone jack/hold button part online. Should cost $10 to $30 depending on where you go. I actually have a 30gb video from 2006. Last year the battery would only last 30 minutes, so I bought a replacement battery for $20, and replaced it myself. It even came with an ipod opening tool. You just pry it open and plug the parts in, pretty easy. Now my iPod is having the same problem as yours, so I'll be replacing that part now.

This should be the part you need (if you are the 6th gen, right?)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LR77FW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have a 160GB. I'm not sure what gen it is. I think it's either 2 or 3 years old.

Are the pieces glued together or do they fit together in some other way? Will I need to reglue it or anything?

Macbook Air 13 inch users:

How has your time been with the machine? Does it perform well enough to take care of daily tasks?

Is the screen good and what has been the limitations of the machine?

I have to get a new machine tomorrow because my current one has died (2007 Macbook pre unibody), and I can't decide between the Pro and Air.

And bonus question:

I'm getting a Dell monitor which has a Display Port plug, should I get a mini display cable, Thunderbolt cable or what should I purchase in order to get my Mac on to that screen?

Zaphod

I've had my 13" Macbook air for a couple of months now and I think it is a great laptop. I don't do to much heavy creative work on it except for a little garage band which runs nice and smooth. I have Steam so some of my PC games are available on it. Half Life 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 both run great at high to med high settings and CIV V runs well also. It does get a bit hot when pushing the Air to the limit but since the whole case is one big heat sink for the computer it cools down quickly.

The size of the machine is great, it does not feel too small but it is definitely light and very sturdy. The software to share a home computers DVD drive was simple to use so I did not miss the having an on board drive at all.

The screen is nice with vivid but not over saturated colors and a really wide view angle.

It may be the smoothness of the OS and the speed of the SSD but this air feels faster than my 4 year old dual core windows desktop.

I have no experience with connecting the Air to an external display but I believe the thunderbolt port on it is the same as a mini display port connection.

RDreamer

whitehawk said:
I didn't have to glue anything when replacing my battery. If you want, my replacement will be getting here this week, and I can tell you how it went/what I needed to do.

edit: and yes, according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Models) you have a 6th gen.

The part you linked says 80 and 120gb. Is it going to make a difference that mine is the 160? Should be the same headphone piece right?

Edit: Hmm.. I'm reading all sorts of stuff online saying that the 6th gen classic is a freaking tank to get into, and I also saw on apple's site that they'll charge 129 to fix mine since it's a late 2009 model. I might just go that route.

Munin

i just tried to wake up my almost brand new Macbook Air from sleep (bought maybe 3 weeks ago) and I could not move the cursor nor type anything with the keyboard. So I restarted it, and the cursor remains in the top left, and neither trackpad nor keyboard work. After a few seconds at the login screen there is a dialog popping up "Looking for a wireless keyboard" I suppose meaning that it cannot recognize the internal keyboard.

Further reboots do nothing.

However the actual "power" button works fine.

WTF is this? Should I just go into an Apple store and will they fix it for free?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Could anyone suggest memory for a Mac Mini upgrade? I'm wondering if 8gb is overkill or not...

Jasoco

Banned
Munin said:
i just tried to wake up my almost brand new Macbook Air from sleep (bought maybe 3 weeks ago) and I could not move the cursor nor type anything with the keyboard. So I restarted it, and the cursor remains in the top left, and neither trackpad nor keyboard work. After a few seconds at the login screen there is a dialog popping up "Looking for a wireless keyboard" I suppose meaning that it cannot recognize the internal keyboard.

Further reboots do nothing.

However the actual "power" button works fine.

WTF is this? Should I just go into an Apple store and will they fix it for free?
I believe it's a known problem. Not sure if there's a solution yet. But it makes me afraid to get an Air.

mattiewheels said:
Could anyone suggest memory for a Mac Mini upgrade? I'm wondering if 8gb is overkill or not...
8GB is never overkill.

Munin

Jasoco said:
I believe it's a known problem. Not sure if there's a solution yet. But it makes me afraid to get an Air.

8GB is never overkill.

So what do I do, take it to Apple Store? You wouldn't know where to find other people with the same issue right..? I could only find people having these problems with older models, and after a few years, or after installing new OSX versions and stuff, all of which does not apply to me.

Jasoco

Banned
If you can reliably reproduce it, take it to the store asleep, wake it up and show them what it does. If it's a known problem to them, they will surely know what to do if there's a fix. And I hope there is because I still want an Air, but this scares me a tiny bit.

LProtag

My Macbook Pro is getting pretty outdated and I'm about to run out of warranty.

Debating if I should get the new version that's rumored to come out soon or wait until the whole Ivy Bridge redesign.

That's probably a good half-year to a year away though, right? I hear they're going to do an entire overhaul though, so it might be worth waiting... I'm not sure.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jasoco said:
8GB is never overkill.
Ok, just wondering if there's a good brand to get.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Munin said:
So what do I do, take it to Apple Store? You wouldn't know where to find other people with the same issue right..? I could only find people having these problems with older models, and after a few years, or after installing new OSX versions and stuff, all of which does not apply to me.
Both of my MBAs (latest) have issues when waking up from sleep. It's a piece of crap. It's a known thing.

Munin

Bboy AJ said:
Both of my MBAs (latest) have issues when waking up from sleep. It's a piece of crap. It's a known thing.

Yeah except the problem persists even after rebooting for me. Taking it to the store tomorrow..

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. It won't be for a while. At least. So don't wait. Well, if it's dying that is. Is it exhibiting problems? Or is it still perfectly usable? I waited for MONTHS to replace my already fast dying MacBook with a Pro last year. It was dying super fast. But I was determined to wait. That was to get the last of the Core2Duo's because the i5's were only available in the 15". (I hate the size of the 15". 13" is big enough for me*.)

*THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID HAHAHAHA SHUT UP!

oatmeal

Banned
whitehawk said:
I'm going to be doing a lot of video editing and audio recording, that wont work.

I have the 13" MBP (stock) and I recently cut a Music Video in 2K on it (RED converted to Pro Res 422 HQ files) and had zero issues.

LProtag

Jasoco said:
Yeah. It won't be for a while. At least. So don't wait. Well, if it's dying that is. Is it exhibiting problems? Or is it still perfectly usable? I waited for MONTHS to replace my already fast dying MacBook with a Pro last year. It was dying super fast. But I was determined to wait. That was to get the last of the Core2Duo's because the i5's were only available in the 15". (I hate the size of the 15". 13" is big enough for me*.)

*THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID HAHAHAHA SHUT UP!

Mine's fine, it's just hit that time where everything starts to slow down a bit and it can't keep up with newer stuff coming out.

I'm hoping this new version is just a short 'bridging the gap' and that they have the new revision out as soon as possible. I can bear to wait a half a year or so.

Jasoco

Banned
Sometimes you just gotta go with your feelings. If you want a totally new update that's not just a speed bump, it may be a while. Possibly a year at least. So hang onto your machine if you can. How much RAM is it? Maybe consider using a SSD as a stop-gap if you don't have one. Max the RAM and put a SSD in there and you'll gain all your speed back and then some, and when the new updates do come out, you can take all that stuff right over to it.

That's my suggestion. SSD and max RAM if you don't already have it.

I am using an early 09 iMac and am itching to upgrade. Thinking of going for a Mac Book Pro next year after I get my tax return. But I also think that this is enough and I am fine.

Of course, if the new iPad 3 does actually get a retina display, I will upgrade that. In fact, my iPad 1 is slowing down and probably needs an upgrade more than the computer.

Bboy AJ said:

Oh noes! I had noticed that mine is taking longer than it used to to wake up, but it still is up within 15 seconds (versus like 2 when I took it out of the box). Was this how the problem started with you?

3N16MA

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I am using an early 09 iMac and am itching to upgrade. Thinking of going for a Mac Book Pro next year after I get my tax return. But I also think that this is enough and I am fine.

Of course, if the new iPad 3 does actually get a retina display, I will upgrade that. In fact, my iPad 1 is slowing down and probably needs an upgrade more than the computer.

Sounds like you have more of an itch to own a notebook than to upgrade. It happens.

Jasoco

Banned
It's that kind of problem that has me leaning back towards an i5 Pro instead even though I'd love the new Air. Is it a widespread thing. Is it fixable. Or is it one of those "you're stuck with it" things?

It'll end up coming down to Pro or Air depending on what problems the Air's have at the time and whether they can be prevented.

I need to make my decision by December because my dad wants to replace his Gateway laptop by then and this is the only way to get him to not go out and buy yet another PC laptop. He's actually eager to come over to our side and I can't wait to show him around.

LProtag

I suppose I could upgrade a bit.

I'd just be really disappointed if this new revision turns out to be a huge one and I miss out on it by a handful of months.

Jasoco

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
I suppose I could upgrade a bit.

I'd just be really disappointed if this new revision turns out to be a huge one and I miss out on it by a handful of months.
Then wait for it. But remember it's not set in stone and it could be a few months or it could be next week. I'm hoping for sometime in November. Even if I go Air instead of Pro, I still want to see what the Pro will offer.

Other things that have me considering the Pro are the webcam, even though I rarely use the one I have and have an iPod and iPad both with cameras. Also the higher RAM ceiling.

LProtag

Jasoco said:
Then wait for it. But remember it's not set in stone and it could be a few months or it could be next week. I'm hoping for sometime in November. Even if I go Air instead of Pro, I still want to see what the Pro will offer.

Other things that have me considering the Pro are the webcam, even though I rarely use the one I have and have an iPod and iPad both with cameras. Also the higher RAM ceiling.

Looks like the for the Pro there's a 'stopgap' revision supposedly at the beginning of November, then the new Ivy Bridge rehaul, with a rumored new case/look, sometime in 2012.

3N16MA said:
Sounds like you have more of an itch to own a notebook than to upgrade. It happens.

True. I know I get a lot more for the money with an iMac, and I fulfill my portable needs with my iPad. But I am thinking of getting a MacBook for the new computer.

Chris R

InsertNameHere said:
Looks like the for the Pro there's a 'stopgap' revision supposedly at the beginning of November, then the new Ivy Bridge rehaul, with a rumored new case/look, sometime in 2012.
Yep, but the timetables have been shifted due to Intel not needing to push Ivy Bridge out so fast with Bulldozer being a total stinker. Expect some "delays" announced by Intel when it comes to IB stuff (Q1 to Q2 for example). April was seeming like the date, but now who knows?

Top Bottom