• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Kimosabae

Banned
After 3 year run, the battery in my 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo battery died. Can anyone suggest a cheap but quality replacement battery?

timnich

Anyone ever have to replace their Macbook charger? It seems like they are pieces of shit quality wise. After a year of delicate use the cord of my charger has frayed, making it dangerous to use. Trying to talk to Apple is frustrating as they refuse to accept this as a design flaw and can only offer me a refurb at $70(?!?).

Where can I find a charger for cheaper? Ordering from amazon seems risky as the reviews indicate problems of dangerous knock offs and questionable quality. This whole thing has really worsened my opinion of Apple...

timnich said:
Anyone ever have to replace their Macbook charger? It seems like they are pieces of shit quality wise. After a year of delicate use the cord of my charger has frayed, making it dangerous to use. Trying to talk to Apple is frustrating as they refuse to accept this as a design flaw and can only offer me a refurb at $70(?!?).

Really? I've had the same MagSafe charger since 2006 -- no issues whatsoever.

omgkitty

timnich said:

Where can I find a charger for cheaper? Ordering from amazon seems risky as the reviews indicate problems of dangerous knock offs and questionable quality. This whole thing has really worsened my opinion of Apple...

I am going to assume you weren't doing this. That's how you keep it from fraying. Other than that, I think you better just buy a new cord. They are $79 new, and you don't want to mess up your computer with a shitty power cord.

I actually have my own question though, how the hell do I make all of my folders auto sort? Ever since reinstalling on a new HDD, I have had folders all over the place, and I can go in and set every single folder up to sort by name individually, but it does not sort every folder on the computer. This is especially annoying with dragging and dropping on a thumb drive with hundreds of files and they are randomly thrown everywhere every time I plug it in as it does not save my settings.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm on my 4th magsafe cord. Pieces of shit they are.
Had THREE spark out and die on me. :\

Apple has been great about it though, given me a free one each time. And the last one I was almost a year out of warranty and they gave it to me anyway.

omgkitty said:
Nah, they're just crap.
Though the L shape one that is my most recent replacement seems better than the ond T design.

Kimosabae

Banned
timnich said:

I've actually had mine replaced twice for free, at the Apple store. I essentially ran them a guilt trip about how I the cord only became frayed through doing what it was built to do, and that a 70$ replacement under those conditions was an unreasonable thing to ask for a college student towards the end of a semester.

That said, my current one (1.5 yrs old) isn't fraying, but it takes some wiggling at the neck to get it to charge my (currently dead) battery.

Speaking of dead batteries... anyone mind considering my post above?

omgkitty

I don't see the issue. I have had my cord for close to 5 years now and it's perfectly fine. Of course I don't take my laptop out of the house very much, but when it comes to fraying, it's usually the users fault. If it just stops working then it's a hardware issue.

Kimosabae

Banned
omgkitty said:
I don't see the issue. I have had my cord for close to 5 years now and it's perfectly fine. Of course I don't take my laptop out of the house very much, but when it comes to fraying, it's usually the users fault. If it just stops working then it's a hardware issue.

Lucky you. Just because your subjectivity says otherwise, does not mean the Magsafe design isn't a dominant issue among Mac users.

Personally, outside the internet, I've never met a Mac owner that hasn't had to replace their Magsafe due to the frayed cord issue.

timnich

omgkitty said:
I am going to assume you weren't doing this. That's how you keep it from fraying. Other than that, I think you better just buy a new cord. They are $79 new, and you don't want to mess up your computer with a shitty power cord.

I actually have my own question though, how the hell do I make all of my folders auto sort? Ever since reinstalling on a new HDD, I have had folders all over the place, and I can go in and set every single folder up to sort by name individually, but it does not sort every folder on the computer. This is especially annoying with dragging and dropping on a thumb drive with hundreds of files and they are randomly thrown everywhere every time I plug it in as it does not save my settings.
I didn't coil it, my laptop sleeve has a special sleeve for it and I just kept it in there. Mine was maybe defective? That section that frayed turned a weird colour at first, like how the old Nintendo becomes a weird sort of grey. I'm not sure what I could have done to take better care of it, I treat it with the same care as my laptop and that is in mint condition, like brand new. I'm pretty sure this is a common problem with these chargers, just bad design.

omgkitty

Kimosabae said:
Lucky you. Just because your subjectivity says otherwise, does not mean the Magsafe design isn't a dominant issue among Mac users.

Personally, outside the internet, I've never met a Mac owner that hasn't had to replace their Magsafe due to the frayed cord issue.

I didn't say there wasn't an issue with the cables. Of course I am being subjective here though because I have never had an issue before and I only know of one person that has had an issue.

Jasoco

Banned
omgkitty said:

Unfortunately for ME, that video doesn't apply to MY power adapter because my fraying is at the OTHER end of the wire. Not the source, but the magnetic end. And this is a newer aluminum ended version. I've wrapped all the cracked areas in electrical tape, but find myself instead using my 2007 white MacBook power adapter with the plastic "straight out" version of the magsafe connector instead because so far it HASN'T frayed.

Fuck, even my iPad 2's cable has frayed causing me to snip off the excess rubber coating (It seems like the problem isn't caused by bad coiling, but by expanding rubber because the rubber coating seems to become longer than the wire itself and starts bunching up at the end.) and wrap it too in electrical tape. And my iPod touch's wire is starting to look the same.

I Googled once and it gave me an article with an interview from a guy who used to work at Apple and left because of the reason it happens. Apple HATES what they call "stress reducers" at the ends of power cables because Jobs thought they looked ugly. These are of course the bunched up rubber at the ends of wires that allows the wire to bend freely while keeping the ends connected and the rubber coating from sliding. Apple hates how it looks and doesn't use it.

Worst part is the rubber they use now is more rubbery and breakable than what they used in 2007. Go ahead and compare the older Magsafe wire to the new one. There's a texture difference in the wires too. It's completely different material now.

I've used my 2007 model about 3 times as long as I used my 2010 model and the 2007 one hasn't even begun to break like the 2010 one. That's how you know there's a flaw. When a wire from years before lasts longer than one that just came out.

Chris R

I haven't had an issue yet with mine, but I have no problem saying that the charging is the weak link in current product design, at least with my MBA.

omgkitty

Jasoco said:
Unfortunately for ME, that video doesn't apply to MY power adapter because my fraying is at the OTHER end of the wire. Not the source, but the magnetic end. And this is a newer aluminum ended version. I've wrapped all the cracked areas in electrical tape, but find myself instead using my 2007 white MacBook power adapter with the plastic "straight out" version of the magsafe connector instead because so far it HASN'T frayed.

Fuck, even my iPad 2's cable has frayed causing me to snip off the excess rubber coating (It seems like the problem isn't caused by bad coiling, but by expanding rubber because the rubber coating seems to become longer than the wire itself and starts bunching up at the end.) and wrap it too in electrical tape. And my iPod touch's wire is starting to look the same.

I Googled once and it gave me an article with an interview from a guy who used to work at Apple and left because of the reason it happens. Apple HATES what they call "stress reducers" at the ends of power cables because Jobs thought they looked ugly. These are of course the bunched up rubber at the ends of wires that allows the wire to bend freely while keeping the ends connected and the rubber coating from sliding. Apple hates how it looks and doesn't use it.

Worst part is the rubber they use now is more rubbery and breakable than what they used in 2007. Go ahead and compare the older Magsafe wire to the new one. There's a texture difference in the wires too. It's completely different material now.

I've used my 2007 model about 3 times as long as I used my 2010 model and the 2007 one hasn't even begun to break like the 2010 one. That's how you know there's a flaw. When a wire from years before lasts longer than one that just came out.

So technically it sounds like the cables have gotten cheaper. Do the old power cables still work with the new Macbooks? I am going to get a new one and if this is a known issue, I may just keep using the one I have.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. They're different voltages, and get much hotter as they aren't as optimized, but they automatically switch voltages to whichever model they are connected to.

xXJonoXx

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a low end 15" MBP (6490M GPU) two weeks ago from Best Buy, which was on sale for $1709.99, after tax was $1851.xx. (which they have now lowered to $1609.99)

However, with the new versions being released this week I think I am going to return it and get the new version of the same model due to the upgraded graphics card (6750M GPU, I like to play World of Warcraft a lot and the MBP seems to be pretty good at it), however the price is full $1799.99 from the Apple Store (I don't think my local Best Buys have the new models yet.)

Do you think paying $190+tax more is worth the upgrade to the graphics card and processor if I like to play games?

Also, two more questions:

1. Can a friend use his student discount to buy the MBP for me at a Apple Store, but I pay for it?

2. Do you think the Apple Store would have the brand new models with the HD 1680x1050 screen for purchase in store yet?

omgkitty

omgkitty said:

Seriously though, can someone please answer this? I know it's possible as my computer used to be setup this way. It annoys the shit out of me now.

whitehawk

Banned
xXJonoXx said:
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a low end 15" MBP (6490M GPU) two weeks ago from Best Buy, which was on sale for $1709.99, after tax was $1851.xx. (which they have now lowered to $1609.99)

However, with the new versions being released this week I think I am going to return it and get the new version of the same model due to the upgraded graphics card (6750M GPU, I like to play World of Warcraft a lot and the MBP seems to be pretty good at it), however the price is full $1799.99 from the Apple Store (I don't think my local Best Buys have the new models yet.)

Do you think paying $190+tax more is worth the upgrade to the graphics card and processor if I like to play games?

Also, two more questions:

1. Can a friend use his student discount to buy the MBP for me at a Apple Store, but I pay for it?

2. Do you think the Apple Store would have the brand new models with the HD 1680x1050 screen for purchase in store yet?
He would probably have to buy it, and then have you pay him back.

Barrett2

If I want to play PC games on my MBP, is Boot camp the only real solution? Related, if I don't want to shell out $100 for Windows 7, I guess I could just purchase Windows XP for cheap?

whitehawk said:
He would probably have to buy it, and then have you pay him back.
I'm sure he could have pay on the spot with his friends student discount. Its the same as when my dad bought my sister a macbook air and she had her student discount.

Barrett2

Incredibly, I found my old Windows XP disc that I used 4 years ago to install Bootcamp on a previous Mac. But when I try to create the partition, I get this error.

A quick Google search showed a forum where other people had the same problem. Anyone know how to get around this? The disc seems to be fine, not sure why my MBP isn't recognizing it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone have experience with the Audio Midi utility? I was wondering why I couldn't configure speakers for HDMI-out in preferences until I found Audio Midi.

I have a Mac Mini that I am outputting through HDMI to have 7.1 capable receiver that I use in a 5.1 configuration.

Audio Midi allows you to change:

The frequency from 44khz default to like 192 khz and also set the bit integer from 16 bit by default to 24 bit along with 2CH or 8CH. When selecting 8 CH you can click configure speakers and select 5.1.

My problems are that I don't know what frequency or bit integer to select. Also when you select 8CH and 5.1 with it the receiver still shows all 8 channels (7.1), when you play something with a dolby digital codec though it changes to whatever that is, but if you play something else it still shows 7.1, I'm guessing that the latter is using PCM and if the file has a stereo soundtrack, it would just play through those two speakers and the sub if selected by the receiver to be used with stereo, by default. Sometimes a Dolby Digital or DTS file will play with what looks like a 3.1 sound setup (I'll have to check if maybe the file really had 3.1 audio).

I'm not sure if this is how it works exactly and I was wondering if someone that has experience with Audio Midi or audio technology in general might have an answer?

timnich

lawblob said:
Incredibly, I found my old Windows XP disc that I used 4 years ago to install Bootcamp on a previous Mac. But when I try to create the partition, I get this error.

A quick Google search showed a forum where other people had the same problem. Anyone know how to get around this? The disc seems to be fine, not sure why my MBP isn't recognizing it.

Are you on lion? Pretty sure upgrading to lion killed XP support in Bootcamp.

Jasoco

Banned
timnich said:
Are you on lion? Pretty sure upgrading to lion killed XP support in Bootcamp.
Yep. You are correct. No XP in Lion BootCamp. At least not through official supported means. Don't know if there's an unofficial way to do it.

What's the best way to get the most out of my battery in terms of preserving its life? I don't leave the house with my MBA terribly often, but I still vastly prefer leaving it unplugged while I use it. Should I be keeping it plugged in more frequently, or what?

Jimmy Stav said:
What's the best way to get the most out of my battery in terms of preserving its life? I don't leave the house with my MBA terribly often, but I still vastly prefer leaving it unplugged while I use it. Should I be keeping it plugged in more frequently, or what?

I say use it as you will. The biggest killers are cycles (charges) and heat, but roughly speaking to Li-ion and Li-poly a hundred 1% charges and a single 0-100% charge are the same thing. (Though you collect a lot more heat with the latter.)

(Uh...and don't freeze it. Freezing can equally damage a battery...)

i'm getting super close to pulling the trigger on a MBA - all the icloud goodness in my new 4S has made me mega tempted (can't get lion on my OG 13" MacBook).

My laptop has always been an accessory computer compared to my Windows desktop. I do a lot of writing and Adobe stuff on it, plus some light video editing (nothing fancier than imovie, I'd say).

I'm debating between the 13 and the 11.6 inch models. I'll be getting the 128gb SSD regardless, so it's only a $100 difference. Do you guys with 11.6" feel constrained by the size? Before my Macbook i had a 12" ibook G4 and loved it to death.

How's Creative Suite 5 performance on the Air? Keep in mind that I'm coming from the perspective of a 2.0ghz Core Duo (not even core 2 duo!!), so I realize it'll be an upgrade no matter what.

Also, how are the heat issues on the Air? I know Flash still HATES macs - is there a way in Safari I can basically force it to use HTML5 alternatives when available?

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. I'd love an 11". It's so tiny and portable. But the extra battery and the bit higher resolution are the main factors to get a 13". Not to mention the SD card. 13" low end is $100 more than 11" high end. Stock models of course. The screen is really the main factor for me. Sure, the 11" Air is higher than the 13" Pro, but the 13" Air is just so much more than both.

My thing about the 11 is that it's basically an iPad, and I'd rather have the iPad at that form factor unless I specifically was using Final Draft for a living or something. The 13 feels more like a real ultraportable PC with the battery life to back it up. It's still crazy portable but the pixels are no longer microscopic and it just feels like you can get some more serious work done with it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ugh.

I started having sound that sounded distorted when playing video files and I thought it was because of the changes I made in Audio Midi. Now I'm starting to think it's a problem with Mplayer or something.

I would prefer to use Mplayerx since it seems like it handles getting videos off of my file server and playing them a lot better than the rest of the video players available, but a sound distortion is apparent now where the sound sounds louder than it should by default and it sounds "pushed". I don't know how else to explain it properly. If I play the same file in VLC, it sounds fine.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My 13" Air arrived and damn this thing is pretty. Updating the OS right now but I'll have to wait until after I get out of work to mess with it. I'm really happy it arrived in time for the weekend and that the screen is perfect (I was already prepared for stuck/dead pixels and having to return it, I've been through enough shit screen situations in my life so I just expect the worst now, lol...).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
Yep. You are correct. No XP in Lion BootCamp. At least not through official supported means. Don't know if there's an unofficial way to do it.
It might be different in Lion since I don't have it yet, but in previous versions you could just boot to the windows partition and then install it just like a normal computer. You have to go through the ugly blue/yellow text menus and stuff but it definitely works. Just not automatic like when you have bootcamp do it for you.

My question is not macintosh-related, but it's about the Apple TV 2...does anybody have this device at home ?

My PC is aging and showing its limits when it comes to playing HD videos...I'd want to know if someone here has installed XBMC or another sofware to read mkv, H264 files in 720p, and if it works well or not (I think the ATV2 can't hold 1080p, that would be for the rumored ATV3).

Thanks !

So, I just did the 8GB memory upgrade on my white Macbook 2010. It was easy enough but I had a quick question. When I looked at the about this Mac it only shows 4GB. Is this because the "recommended" is only 4GB? I know that it's okay to upgrade to the 8GB for better performance and the 2010 Macbooks can handle it but I just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong. Thanks a bunch

Chris R

moop2000 said:
So, I just did the 8GB memory upgrade on my white Macbook 2010. It was easy enough but I had a quick question. When I looked at the about this Mac it only shows 4GB. Is this because the "recommended" is only 4GB? I know that it's okay to upgrade to the 8GB for better performance and the 2010 Macbooks can handle it but I just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong. Thanks a bunch
Click About This Mac -> More Info... -> System Report... -> Memory and see what is says there.

Chris R

moop2000 said:
It says 4GB there too. Maybe I didn;t get the memory seated correct? I'm thinking the bottom one.
Does your report say anything about slot 1/2 or dimm 1/2? Or does it only mention 1?

Chris R

moop2000 said:
It says Bank0 Empty
Try not only reseating the memory, but swapping sticks as well. That way if you reboot and now see that Bank1 is empty you would know something might be wrong with that particular stick of memory (it happens :( )

rhfb said:
Try not only reseating the memory, but swapping sticks as well. That way if you reboot and now see that Bank1 is empty you would know something might be wrong with that particular stick of memory (it happens :( )

That's a great idea.

Edit:

It was just the bottom memory had unseated, so simple enough. Thanks a bunch for the solid advice. BTW, holy fucking speediness. I should have upgraded this 6 months ago.

amrihua

moop2000 said:
That's a great idea.

Edit:

It was just the bottom memory had unseated, so simple enough. Thanks a bunch for the solid advice. BTW, holy fucking speediness. I should have upgraded this 6 months ago.

Wait until you get an SSD in there ;) best upgrade I've done to my MacBook Pro.

Zaphod

After having a netbook I can say i really don't like the small widescreen monitors. Since the laptop will probably spend a good amount of time in the lap, a shorter screen means the user has to look down farther to use the screen. I enjoy the taller 13" screen of the Air way more than my old netbook.

amrihua

moop2000 said:
How much am I looking at for that?

How much did the 8GB RAM cost you? To me the SSD was much more worth it and the difference in performance was instantly visible. I found Lion rarely -even after hours and lots of applications- uses more than 6GB.
I went with a 120GB Intel 320m, but you could go for less or more depending on budget. What I did was, connect the old HDD to my Airport Extreme and boom I've got always-on network storage that I use to store the big files and most of the applications, including iWork and iLife and they work perfectly fine out of the network.
I can't quote any prices since I live in Japan, but actually the SSD upgrade last month was cheaper than the 8GB upgrade last year. I eventually distributed the memory between my MacBook Pro and Mac mini, now both are 6GB and never had the OS use up that much on me.

amrihua said:
How much did the 8GB RAM cost you? To me the SSD was much more worth it and the difference in performance was instantly visible. I found Lion rarely -even after hours and lots of applications- uses more than 6GB.
I went with a 120GB Intel 320m, but you could go for less or more depending on budget. What I did was, connect the old HDD to my Airport Extreme and boom I've got always-on network storage that I use to store the big files and most of the applications, including iWork and iLife and they work perfectly fine out of the network.
I can't quote any prices since I live in Japan, but actually the SSD upgrade last month was cheaper than the 8GB upgrade last year. I eventually distributed the memory between my MacBook Pro and Mac mini, now both are 6GB and never had the OS use up that much on me.

I just spent $50 on the memory upgrade

Massa

Jasoco said:
Yeah. I'd love an 11". It's so tiny and portable. But the extra battery and the bit higher resolution are the main factors to get a 13". Not to mention the SD card. 13" low end is $100 more than 11" high end. Stock models of course. The screen is really the main factor for me. Sure, the 11" Air is higher than the 13" Pro, but the 13" Air is just so much more than both.

As an owner of a 11" notebook I say don't. The 13" is just as portable; what really matters for portability, to me anyway, is weight and battery life. And while being slightly smaller doesn't make it much more portable it makes it significantly less comfortable to use.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Damn it all, after one day of usage I got a dead pixel (not stuck, black one that will never go away) on the lower left of the screen of my 13" Air. I wonder if it popped because of the device heating once in a while during more demanding activities.

I wish I wasn't so anal about these things but I'll get in touch with Apple on monday to try and exchange it. What sucks is that it will take a while because on top of not having proper Apple stores in my country I'll have to deal with waiting for the package to go and then arrive back from another state again. Bummer because I was really enjoying my time with it and now it's pointless to keep installing apps and customizing through the weekend.

Top Bottom