• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Blackhead

Redarse

Anandtech said:
4K Support

A huge part of the Mac Pro revolves around its support for 4K displays. You can connect two 4K displays via Thunderbolt 2/DisplayPort, and the third 4K display over HDMI. Alternatively you can connect up to six 2560 x 1440 displays using the Thunderbolt 2 ports at the back of the machine.

While the 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display can presently support outputting to either an 3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160 external panel, the maximum supported refresh rate is only 30Hz under OS X (and only 24Hz in the case of a 4096 x 2160 display). That’s acceptable for use as a video preview display, but extremely frustrating for anything else (try watching a mouse cursor animate at 30Hz). Contrary to what Apple’s own support documentation lists, these 4K resolutions at limited refresh rates are supported via both HDMI and Thunderbolt 2/DisplayPort 1.2 on the new rMBPs.

To support 4K at 60Hz, you need to properly enable support for DisplayPort 1.2’s Multi-Stream Transport (MST) feature...

The 4K/MST support requires a software component as well. The GPU driver needs to know how to divide its frame buffer for output to the individual tiles, which can vary between monitors. MST topologies for single-display/4K60 support aren’t standardized unfortunately. Apple handles this by maintaining some sort of a whitelist for various displays they’ve tested. The Sharp PN-K321 that Apple sells alongside the Mac Pro (as well as the ASUS clone of it) ships with 4K60 support configured out of the box. All you need to do is ensure that DisplayPort 1.2 MST is enabled on the display itself (something that appears off by default) and plug it into the Mac Pro. OS X will automatically recognize the display, configure it for 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz and you’re good to go.

The same isn’t true, unfortunately, for other 4K displays on the market. Dell sent along its UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD display (UP2414Q) for this review, and unfortunately that appears to be a display that’s not supported by the Mac Pro/OS X at this point. You can get it working in SST mode at 3840 x 2160 30Hz, but forcing MST results in a 1920 x 2160 display spread across both tiles with a mess of garbled colors.

The 4K Experience

...Moving to Sharp’s 32” 4K PN-K321 brought back memories of my 30” days. The display is absolutely huge. OS X (and Windows 8.1) running at 3840 x 2160 is incredible, but I find that text, menus and UI elements can be too small. My eyesight isn’t what it used to be and 3840 x 2160 on a 32” panel is just past the borderline of comfortable for me. For editing photos and videos it’s great, but for everything else the ~30% increase in pixel density was just too much.

Apple actually created a solution to this problem with the MacBook Pro’s Retina Display. On a 13 or 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display Apple renders the screen at full panel resolution (e.g. 2880 x 1800), but renders things like text, menus and UI elements at 4x their normal resolution (2x in each dimension). In supported apps, photos and videos are rendered at a 1:1 ratio with pixels on screen. The combination of the two results in a display that’s both incredibly high res and usable...

I was fully expecting all of this to be available on the Mac Pro when connected to a 32” 4K display. By default, there’s only a single supported scaled resolution: 2560 x 1440. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Apple is running the same supersampling routines when you pick this resolution, instead you get a 2560 x 1440 desktop scaled up to 3840 x 2160 (rather than a 5120 x 2880 screen scaled down). The result is a bit of a blurry mess...

Fucking Hell o_0

I wanted a Mac Pro for three reasons:
  • Expandable internal storage
  • Support for 4K displays
  • Powerful GPU for gaming (even if I had to bootcamp Windows) and CPU for general tasks

This new Mac Pro struck out on all counts. Apple designed it for video editors (the minority who still happen to be using FCP) and ignored the desires of everyone else. Argh!1*?!

p.s
Anandtech said:
The rest of the 4K experience under OS X was pretty good. The PN-K321 display seemed far more compatible with the Mac Pro setup than the UP2414Q. Wake from sleep wasn't an issue the vast majority of the time. I did have one situation where I had to disconnect/reconnect the DisplayPort cable after the display wouldn't wake up.
lol *smh*

Fuchsdh

Fucking Hell o_0

I wanted a Mac Pro for three reasons:
  • Expandable internal storage
  • Support for 4K displays
  • Powerful GPU for gaming (even if I had to bootcamp Windows) and CPU for general tasks

This new Mac Pro struck out on all counts. Apple designed it for video editors (the minority who still happen to be using FCP) and ignored the desires of everyone else. Argh!1*?!

p.s
lol *smh*

Well, the second point will probably be addressed in 10.9 or 10.10. So that's only a matter of time (does partially explain why they haven't released their own 4K displays yet.)

As for expandable internal storage... it is a bit odd they didn't just mount a second SSD on the other graphics card so you could boost the PCIe storage internally. It would have been nice to have a second stick in there so you could just keep time machine backups or your scratch disk in there or whatnot.

Finally, what's your issue with the graphics cards? They aren't optimized for gaming, sure, but they'll do fine on it, and considering how cheap the video card upgrades are you aren't going to get shafted for it like you would usually using a workstation GPU. Down the line I can certainly see the issue--it's unlikely we'll see much in the way of 3rd party cards.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well, the second point will probably be addressed in 10.9 or 10.10. So that's only a matter of time (does partially explain why they haven't released their own 4K displays yet.)
But Apple has been advertising the 4K support since the unveiling and people have already ordered the Dell 4K display expecting it to work. Moreover they offer the Sharp 4K display when configuring a Mac Pro, that one at the very least should 'just work' out of the box.

As for expandable internal storage... it is a bit odd they didn't just mount a second SSD on the other graphics card so you could boost the PCIe storage internally. It would have been nice to have a second stick in there so you could just keep time machine backups or your scratch disk in there or whatnot.

Finally, what's your issue with the graphics cards? They aren't optimized for gaming, sure, but they'll do fine on it, and considering how cheap the video card upgrades are you aren't going to get shafted for it like you would usually using a workstation GPU. Down the line I can certainly see the issue--it's unlikely we'll see much in the way of 3rd party cards.

I wouldn't pay for the video card upgrades anyway since very few apps currently take advantage of them.

kennah

So... My son just dumped my beer on my MacBook Pro. Comes up with chime but no apple logo. My question is if I move my self made Fusion Drive into another Mac will it detect as a Fusion Drive automatically or am I going to need to do something to recover my data?

Fuchsdh

Can I use an Apple TV and screen share my MBP and play games on Steam? Or is there lag/delay that would make the game unplayable?

I would think that you'd be better off using AirPlay (at least when I use screen sharing the drawing is fast but the image quality is horrible.) I don't know what the lag would be though.

I wouldn't pay for the video card upgrades anyway since very few apps currently take advantage of them.

Take advantage of them in what way? In terms of OpenCL, most non-Adobe applications are very good about using them. Davinci Resolve has been set up for years now to use a second GPU (you can't even have that second GPU driving a display, it hogs it all.) I know Maya and Cinema4D have used it for at least a version or two.

You're never going to see small applications or word processors address that power. And games have never been good about using dual GPUs either.

My question is if I move my self made Fusion Drive into another Mac will it detect as a Fusion Drive automatically or am I going to need to do something to recover my data?

It should just move— information about the Fusion Drive is stored on the constituent disks themselves, after all. Just have try to mount the fusion drive once both drives are attached. You may get some errors until both are detected.

kennah

It should just move— information about the Fusion Drive is stored on the constituent disks themselves, after all. Just have try to mount the fusion drive once both drives are attached. You may get some errors until both are detected.
Yeah. Found out the hard way that my SSD died in the flood :( now the long process to figure out how to recover what I can from the hdd.

I...uh....accidentally inserted a SD card in my CD slot...I wasn't looking and it went right in....I tried to use a really small stick but it just went deeper.

iJmsdpqbHSX40.gif

What the hell do I do.

Hook it out or prepare to open shit up

I'm trying but I don't know if I'm feeling the cart or something else. Ugh, I hope I don't break anything...

EDIT: Got it out. Time to test the CD drive..

EDIT 2: Everything's alright! Phew. That scared the hell out of me. Note to self: check again where I'm inserting the damn thing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. Found out the hard way that my SSD died in the flood :( now the long process to figure out how to recover what I can from the hdd.
And that is why I don't trust Fusion drives. The first thing I'd do if I ever got a Mac with one is split the drives apart and use them separately. It's just going to cause problems later on if one part dies and you don't have a backup.

I would hope Apple was smart and keeps all data on the HDD and only puts copies on the SSD side and made it so you can, in an emergency, still put the HDD part into another machine and still at least have read access. But I don't know how they work. I'd rather just have separate drives. SSD for OS and apps. HDD for everything else.

paparazzo

My Macbook Air 13" that I just got in early November has been restarting itself while closed in sleep mode for no apparent reason for the past six weeks or so. It doesn't happen as soon as I close it or open it, it just happens randomly. At first it happened once every 7-10 days or so but it seems to happen every few days now. I've tried tinkering with some energy saver settings, made sure file sharing is off, wake for wi-fi network access, etc. but to no avail. The Macbook shipped with Mountain Lion and the first thing I did when I got it was update to Mavericks. Should I go ahead and take it to Apple or is there something I should try first?

japtor

Well there's no PCIe lanes left...of course looking at how they allocated them you could argue that they could've done stuff differently to support a second drive.
I was considering this Seiki 4K 39" screen to connect my rMBP to...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOPGO2G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but there's an article on MacRumors today basically saying 4K monitor support is pretty bad in OS X right now...

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/31...e-the-wild-west-some-4k-monitors-unsupported/
Well the main issue with that display is that the inputs are limited to 30hz. If that's not an issue it should be a nice deal though, like a secondary display for image viewing or something I guess. Hell I think it was $399 at one point.
I would think that you'd be better off using AirPlay (at least when I use screen sharing the drawing is fast but the image quality is horrible.) I don't know what the lag would be though.
I think they were referring to AirPlay since AppleTV doesn't have Screen Sharing (although it'd sure be nice to use as a cheap basic thin client). There's enough lag that I wouldn't use it for games, but it's low enough (at least on my network) that it just might be playable for some stuff. It'll really depend on the games and your tolerances to lag.
Take advantage of them in what way? In terms of OpenCL, most non-Adobe applications are very good about using them. Davinci Resolve has been set up for years now to use a second GPU (you can't even have that second GPU driving a display, it hogs it all.) I know Maya and Cinema4D have used it for at least a version or two.

You're never going to see small applications or word processors address that power. And games have never been good about using dual GPUs either.
My hope is VT-d support one day for using the second GPU (and excess CPU cores) for a VM. I think you can do it with another OS hypervisor but not OS X, so you'd have to run OS X in a VM as well.
And that is why I don't trust Fusion drives. The first thing I'd do if I ever got a Mac with one is split the drives apart and use them separately. It's just going to cause problems later on if one part dies and you don't have a backup.

I would hope Apple was smart and keeps all data on the HDD and only puts copies on the SSD side and made it so you can, in an emergency, still put the HDD part into another machine and still at least have read access. But I don't know how they work. I'd rather just have separate drives. SSD for OS and apps. HDD for everything else.
There's a lot more to it but it's basically SSD first with the HDD as extra rollover storage, everything goes to the SSD first. As it fills up it starts doing whatever magic moving of blocks/files around the drives, like other hybrid drive solutions, but the OS controls it so it has more knowledge about what should go where. But yeah there's no failure tolerance like a RAID stripe cause the data is all around, albeit theoretically not as bad as a just cause SSDs should be more reliable than platter drives.

That said depending on how you use split drives, you might still be screwed if a drive dies and you don't have backup. Like if you put your home folder on the platter drive and it dies, you still have the same problem. Basically make sure you do backups cause you can get screwed regardless of what the drive setup is.
My Macbook Air 13" that I just got in early November has been restarting itself while closed in sleep mode for no apparent reason for the past six weeks or so. It doesn't happen as soon as I close it or open it, it just happens randomly. At first it happened once every 7-10 days or so but it seems to happen every few days now. I've tried tinkering with some energy saver settings, made sure file sharing is off, wake for wi-fi network access, etc. but to no avail. The Macbook shipped with Mountain Lion and the first thing I did when I got it was update to Mavericks. Should I go ahead and take it to Apple or is there something I should try first?
Really basic stuff would be to reset the SMC and PRAM, and try disk repair and repair permissions. Beyond that if you want to try diagnosing it yourself check out the console logs for what exactly is causing the wake events.

Blackhead

Redarse

Yeah, my Mac desktop will be for personal use and maybe a little programming. The only intensive task I want the GPUs for are games.

Fuchsdh

But Apple has been advertising the 4K support since the unveiling and people have already ordered the Dell 4K display expecting it to work. Moreover they offer the Sharp 4K display when configuring a Mac Pro, that one at the very least should 'just work' out of the box.

Yeah, my Mac desktop will be for personal use and maybe a little programming. The only intensive task I want the GPUs for are games.

Then I don't think the Mac Pro was ever going to be for you. I understand your frustration--I think they could have made a slightly larger Pro with a bit more internal expandability and stock parts and still been awesome (assuming that the thermal core could still handle it) but Apple clearly believes that the Pro's future is more specialized fast hardware.

Blackhead

Redarse
Then I don't think the Mac Pro was ever going to be for you. I understand your frustration--I think they could have made a slightly larger Pro with a bit more internal expandability and stock parts and still been awesome (assuming that the thermal core could still handle it) but Apple clearly believes that the Pro's future is more specialized fast hardware.

:/ The old Mac Pro had what I wanted: expandable internal storage, no hassle support for the best monitors, and replaceable GPUs with better cards for gaming available.

edit nvm

Fuchsdh

:/ The old Mac Pro had what I wanted: expandable internal storage, no hassle support for the best monitors, and replaceable GPUs with better cards for gaming available.

edit nvm

Yeah and I think there was (and always has) been room for a "standard" headless xMac that hasn't really existed since the PowerMac G5's came along and jacked up the prices; G4's were crazily affordable. Such is life with Apple; they'll kill your darlings, all right.

With that said, unless you really need Thunderbolt, why not buy a 2010 or 2012 Mac Pro? You can add USB3, it supports plenty of good gaming cards, natively or by flashing, has all the expansion you could want. I'm sure you can find good deals on it now; I got myself a 2008 Pro as a stopgap machine between my 2008 Macbook Pro and one of the new Mac Pros once it's shaken itself out. I upped its RAM, stuck in an SSD boot drive and grabbed a Quadro 4000 from work as a secondary graphics card to the 5770. The thing boots up in 10 secs or less, is pretty damn fast and runs plenty of recent games well. There's still tons of power in these old machines, especially if you aren't worrying about heavy compositing/3D/NLE work (in which case you have to throw as much horsepower at Adobe apps as possible since they're ancient, crappy pieces of codebase.)

kennah

Yeah that's what I normally do.

Plugging the hard drive in says that it is a fusion drive but without the other half there is no way to access the data.

None of this would be a problem if my Time Machine backup wasn't 900 meg for some reason (and my last manual backup was march, sigh)

kennah

Thank the heavens for my laziness. Found the hard drive that I had pulled out when I made the fusion drive and it still has most of my stuff on it. Along with it was the drive that I had used for backups and transfers at the time, so I have all my data up to October. Still annoying but I feel a lot better and have a base to rebuild from.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thank the heavens for my laziness. Found the hard drive that I had pulled out when I made the fusion drive and it still has most of my stuff on it. Along with it was the drive that I had used for backups and transfers at the time, so I have all my data up to October. Still annoying but I feel a lot better and have a base to rebuild from.
You should use that drive to make daily backups.

kennah

You should use that drive to make daily backups.
Gonna be rearranging everything now.

Going to use that drive plus another of the same size in mirrored raid in the MacBook (if it still works).

Finally putting together the NAS I've been meaning to build for day to day backups.

Repurposing the Drobo as long term vault storage/redundant backup of the main for pictures and documents.

And keeping an enclosure at my desk at work for a second se of offsite dailies.

The worst part is I already have all the stuff, just hand my gotten around to doing it yet.
Live and learn. Sigh.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Backups are an essential part of computing. TimeMachine is the best. Additional off site backups are also not a bad idea.
Yes. Use it for at least a Time Machine backup. I believe OS X will cache file changes until you reconnect the drive later so you can do it every day or week if you need to.

And an offsite backup is a really good idea. And they're pretty cheap too. Around $5 a month if you pay monthly for most. I recommend Crashplan. I paid for the whole 4 year family plan for less than like $400 which is nothing. Single computer plans are even less. And it was unlimited for all 10 machines. So I could use 5TB if I wanted to.

Fuchsdh

Good to know.

I was using Time Machine, but the Drobo was so slow that it just kept corrupting the backups.

Yeah we were trying to use a Time Machine for shared backups on our work Drobos but the speed left a lot to be desired. Better off with having a local backup drive than over a NAS, methinks.

My Lacie 4big arrived at work, incidentally. It's good to know that even if all the drives didn't survive the shipping, I can use this hefty bastard as a heavy blunt weapon with sharp pointy edges.

kennah

Yeah we were trying to use a Time Machine for shared backups on our work Drobos but the speed left a lot to be desired. Better off with having a local backup drive than over a NAS, methinks.

My Lacie 4big arrived at work, incidentally. It's good to know that even if all the drives didn't survive the shipping, I can use this hefty bastard as a heavy blunt weapon with sharp pointy edges.

Will use local backup at work for speed and wifi backup at home for convenience.

Unfortunately hard to do a local hard drive at home with all the little fingers who like to throw hard drives...

Fuchsdh

Will use local backup at work for speed and wifi backup at home for convenience.

Unfortunately hard to do a local hard drive at home with all the little fingers who like to throw hard drives...

Throw the hard drives back at them and see if they like it.

I'm not a parent.

CFMOORE!

my hand is being forced to buy a new computer ahead of my planned schedule to see what apple does with the Air in terms of spec bumps, so between the i5 and i7 13'', i already know to max out ram on these suckers, but is the extra $150 worth the CPU upgrade?

I plan to use it mostly for light productivity work, though it will also be used for application publishing through Xcode, but probably not much heavy code work on the machine itself, though i do want to learn to code and this machine would be for that purpose. I'd also probably start playing WOW again on it. Thoughts?

Fuchsdh

my hand is being forced to buy a new computer ahead of my planned schedule to see what apple does with the Air in terms of spec bumps, so between the i5 and i7 13'', i already know to max out ram on these suckers, but is the extra $150 worth the CPU upgrade?

I plan to use it mostly for light productivity work, though it will also be used for application publishing through Xcode, but probably not much heavy code work on the machine itself, though i do want to learn to code and this machine would be for that purpose. I'd also probably start playing WOW again on it. Thoughts?

According to the benchmarks Intel HD 5000 integrated graphics should be fit for the job, so it's really up to you. If you've maxed the RAM I dunno how much more you're going to see in real-world performance from an i7 over an i5.

Futureman

Well the main issue with that display is that the inputs are limited to 30hz. If that's not an issue it should be a nice deal though, like a secondary display for image viewing or something I guess. Hell I think it was $399 at one point.

what I really want the bigger screen for is drawing in Photoshop. 39" might actually be a ridiculously big though... I've used a 27" iMac for the past 2.5 years but now I'm on a 15" MBP. I'm really getting used to drawing on the go though, not sure if I even want to be tethered to a big screen anymore.

Fuchsdh

When is 12south going to come out with their side stand for the new MacPro?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6099

Everyone was talking about how they would make the moral equivalent of MiniStacks for the Pros with extra HDD space, etc., but I don't think that's possible given that placing anything on top or on bottom of the Pro will restrict air in/exhaust out. Kind of a shame.

Likewise seems pretty unwieldy from a port standpoint to mount it sideways.

Then again if you never mess with your I/O, I can see slinging your Pro right under your desk and forgetting it's there.

muddream

Banned
So what are the chances that Apple comes out with an iPad Pro next year which has an official Bluetooth keyboard case and which can run both OS X and iOS without rebooting? I guess they would have to rewrite OS X for 64 bit ARM.

I would love to have an iPad that can do everything that a Mac laptop does.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/03...aunch-for-12-inch-ipad-focused-on-enterprise/

lol OS X is even less attractive to enterprises than iOS and you won't be able to run bootcamp Windows...there's no way this is real, but then again they just released a 30Hz Mac Pro.

So what are the chances that Apple comes out with an iPad Pro next year which has an official Bluetooth keyboard case and which can run both OS X and iOS without rebooting? I guess they would have to rewrite OS X for 64 bit ARM.

I would love to have an iPad that can do everything that a Mac laptop does.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/03...aunch-for-12-inch-ipad-focused-on-enterprise/
All OS X apps would have to be emulated.

I think the iPad "Pro" is actually just a device ready for a shift Apple is preparing to make iPads more of a content creation/productivity device rather just consumption devices.

I think the iOS user account system patent that was discovered a few months ago is their first step about getting serious about enterprise deployment of iPads, for the Kerboros/Active Directory integration such a system could provide.

tr4656

Is the cheapest mini displayport to dual link DVI (supporting 2560x1600) from Monoprice? Its still too expensive for my taste. :/

lol OS X is even less attractive to enterprises than iOS and you won't be able to run bootcamp Windows...there's no way this is real, but then again they just released a 30Hz Mac Pro.

No, its not less attractive to enterprises.

Well, I am running an early 2009 iMac. 2.66 GHz Core2 Duo with 4GB of RAM. I was waiting for my tax refund this year to get a new computer, but my wife and I are moving so a new computer purchase is on hold until late this year or early next year.
Lately my computer has been crawling. It was awesome with Mavericks at first, but it is giving my the beachball of doom frequently.

Would upgrading my RAM to 8GB make enough of an impact on this old machine? Tempted to buy it and squeeze another year or more out of this machine, but if it wont net me much benefit I will bear with it.

Fuchsdh

Well, I am running an early 2009 iMac. 2.66 GHz Core2 Duo with 4GB of RAM. I was waiting for my tax refund this year to get a new computer, but my wife and I are moving so a new computer purchase is on hold until late this year or early next year.
Lately my computer has been crawling. It was awesome with Mavericks at first, but it is giving my the beachball of doom frequently.

Would upgrading my RAM to 8GB make enough of an impact on this old machine? Tempted to buy it and squeeze another year or more out of this machine, but if it wont net me much benefit I will bear with it.

8 GBs will only benefit you. I'd combine that with a fresh install of OS X though. Back everything up and then reinstall programs and docs as you need it. You'll basically get a computer that feels brand-new and a lot zippier.

Deku Tree

If you Install an SSD inplace of the DVD player in your 2009 iMac, it would speed up your computer ALOT more than doubling the RAM.

Tons of videos of this on the internet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7_AP0wc7s

8 GBs will only benefit you. I'd combine that with a fresh install of OS X though. Back everything up and then reinstall programs and docs as you need it. You'll basically get a computer that feels brand-new and a lot zippier.

Might just do that first. The install that is. Then RAM later.

Did you upgrade to 10.9.1? It is giving me beachballs on my Mac Pro more than 10.9.

Not yet. Still on 10.9

Top Bottom