• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Try one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025V2VO0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not 100% sure. But I think that will let you close the lid.

Thanks for finding that, this will be the next step for sure should it get any more annoying. It's strange now HDMI is relatively standard on MacBooks that the usability is so awkward..... but then I remember how full screen apps ran on external displays only a few months ago and it sort've makes sense.

It used to only work if you also had an external keyboard and mouse attached.

Ahhh I think you've got it, as well as a different cable I did always use a mouse with my older laptop. Hmmm. I imagine this'll just become another one of those things I hope they get around to fixing one day. Cheers.

hirokazu

That puts the main display to sleep too unfortunately, although yeah I'm sure this is how it worked in the past (wasn't connected by HDMI then though)
They changed how it works way back when, but how it works now with an external display attached is:

- If the lid is open, the display on the Mac cannot be deactivated.
- If the lid is closed and the Mac is:
--- Not connected to mains, then the Mac will enter sleep mode
--- Connected to mains, then the display on the Mac is deactivated

It's really dumb and I don't know how it works with desktop Macs since it doesn't have a lid, but I'd imagine there's no way to deactivate the display on desktop Macs.

It used to only work if you also had an external keyboard and mouse attached.
Unfortunately, it no longer works that way. It will only output to the external display without putting the Mac to sleep if it is connected to mains as I outlined above.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Macbook pro retina 15" with maxwell graphics before the summer hits? , is it likely?

Asking cause i know broadwell is delayed.. , and a refresh of the current Macbook pro retina lineup will most likely be in Q3-Q4 with broadwell inside.
I have a feeling Fall will be their new MBP update schedule from now on. Well, from about 2 years on. The original Retina (Just 15") was in Summer, but the subsequent 13" was in the Fall. And aside from a small 15" bump the following Spring they moved the 15" and 13" to Fall. A month after the iDevice release keynote in October. So I would not expect anything until October.

japtor

The technical specifications for my 13" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro lists "Support for audio line out (digital/analog)". Is that implying I can stick an optical cable into the headphone jack and send DD/DTS through it?
Yeah optical minijack, but what goes through depends on the source I think. Not entirely sure but I think the default sound is just PCM stereo while player apps can send out other digital streams.

Fuchsdh

I have a feeling Fall will be their new MBP update schedule from now on. Well, from about 2 years on. The original Retina (Just 15") was in Summer, but the subsequent 13" was in the Fall. And aside from a small 15" bump the following Spring they moved the 15" and 13" to Fall. A month after the iDevice release keynote in October. So I would not expect anything until October.

Whay's crazy to me is that Haswell wasn't even a die shrink. Will be interesting to see what kind of battery life Apple gets out of the next gen devices.

Deku Tree

Yeah it seems like Apple made a strategic shift to release many or all of their exciting new products in the fall. At least that is what they have been doing very recently.

They changed how it works way back when, but how it works now with an external display attached is:

- If the lid is open, the display on the Mac cannot be deactivated.
- If the lid is closed and the Mac is:
--- Not connected to mains, then the Mac will enter sleep mode
--- Connected to mains, then the display on the Mac is deactivated

It's really dumb and I don't know how it works with desktop Macs since it doesn't have a lid, but I'd imagine there's no way to deactivate the display on desktop Macs.

Hey this works!
What a weird stipulation, I really can't see the thinking behind it at all.
Glad to have it sorted however, thank you.

I would expect a quiet spec bump or price drop (on upgrades, or 8GB now the default, etc.) this Spring/Summer, especially if Intel releases new mobile Haswell CPUs, but nothing more than that.

Iacobellis

Yeah it seems like Apple made a strategic shift to release many or all of their exciting new products in the fall. At least that is what they have been doing very recently.

I miss the more fulfilling, spaced-out upgrade cycle they had pre-2011. iPad in the Spring, iPhone in the Summer, iPods in the Fall, and Macs anytime of the year.

Fuchsdh

This is a pretty stupid comparison. Comparing multiple device sales with just PC?

The point is that talk of "post-PC" can be taken seriously now that tablets and mobile devices are a far greater market, I think. It's not all that surprising that Apple's output is greater than the PC market; the writing's been there for years now.

Blackhead

Redarse
The point is that talk of "post-PC" can be taken seriously now that tablets and mobile devices are a far greater market, I think. It's not all that surprising that Apple's output is greater than the PC market; the writing's been there for years now.

But why include Macs in the comparison then? It's fudging the stats to did a narrative

Apple Sold More Macs and iDevices Than All Windows PCs Sold in Holiday Quarter

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/13/mac-vs-pc-sales/

Oh how things have changed, and the once mighty have fallen.

I don't understand the comparison much. Apple computers, phones, and tablets > Windows computers?

What about if you include Windows tablets and phones? I don't get what this shows other than
A. Apple is popular (already known)
B. Mobile and tablet devices are booming (also known).

Fuchsdh

But why include Macs in the comparison then? It's fudging the stats to did a narrative

They could leave out Macs and probably be right up at the edge anyhow. Maybe they just wanted to jump on the headlines. In terms of share of profits and numbers sold Macs are a tiny portion of Apple's bottom line (but in terms of profit per device they probably destroy most everything else they make, hence why I think people who fret Apple will cut the Mac are crazy.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
hey, what does "other" mean in the usage statistics. i have 115gb of other and i don't know what the hell it could be.
Anything that is either:

Not a Video, Music, Image, Application or part of a Backup. i.e. a text document or other type.

Or is in a part of your hard drive that isn't indexed by Spotlight.​

OS X uses the Spotlight index to figure out which files are what kind then creates the graph.

You have 115GB that isn't being indexed I bet. Check your Spotlight privacy preferences. Try clearing the list and see how it changes. (You can put them back later)

It's nothing to worry about.

If you really want to see what files are on your disk, use a program like GrandPerspective.

Deku Tree

I hate the "other" category. My iPhone has like approx 10Gb of space used up by "other"... How am I supposed to figure out what is using that space to clean out my phone?

Fuchsdh

Yes I always run the latest iOS. I know that iOS can download the latest update and leave it on your phone until you update. I was wondering if the space was used by photos in text messages etc? Hard to be sure...

Dunno really. I do agree that iOS space management needs to be improved. As I don't do any video or lots of apps it's fortunately not an issue for me, even on my 8GB, but I don't think GB SKUs on new phones are going to rise fast enough to ameliorate the issue without Apple improving things on the software end.

Deku Tree

Dunno really. I do agree that iOS space management needs to be improved. As I don't do any video or lots of apps it's fortunately not an issue for me, even on my 8GB, but I don't think GB SKUs on new phones are going to rise fast enough to ameliorate the issue without Apple improving things on the software end.

I agree. It would be better to have software with more detailed breakdowns of space usage. I also want some sort power usage information for open apps. They put that in Mavericks so why not iOS?

Fuchsdh

I agree. It would be better to have software with more detailed breakdowns of space usage. I also want some sort power usage information for open apps. They put that in Mavericks so why not iOS?

Definitely. I know Skype kills my battery, but it also gets shut down randomly.

7.1 seems to help with allowing us to delete update data, which apparently was just living cached before. iMessage file sizes are another sore point.

Deku Tree

7.1 seems to help with allowing us to delete update data, which apparently was just living cached before. iMessage file sizes are another sore point.

Yes I want them to allow us to purge old videos and photos from iMessage and text messages stored locally on the phone. It seems like the more space you have the more it is allowed to take up, but what if I'd rather use the space for something else later on?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As for "Other" on iOS, try using a program called PhoneClean to try and clean out some of the stuff in there. Specifically the bottom option "Failed synced media".

For the rest, well I Googled and sometimes a fresh install and restore in a specific order will get rid of it. (iTunes backs up the "Other" stuff so you need to restore a specific way to prevent that.) Google for it. There's an Apple article on their support site.

Edit: I just realized PhoneSync might cost money now. I use an older free version and won't update it. But I don't know if the new one lets you use it for free.

Deku Tree

As for "Other" on iOS, try using a program called PhoneClean to try and clean out some of the stuff in there. Specifically the bottom option "Failed synced media".

For the rest, well I Googled and sometimes a fresh install and restore in a specific order will get rid of it. (iTunes backs up the "Other" stuff so you need to restore a specific way to prevent that.) Google for it. There's an Apple article on their support site.

Thanks! I have not found the apple support page yet but I will keep trying.

rezuth

I don't understand the comparison much. Apple computers, phones, and tablets > Windows computers?

What about if you include Windows tablets and phones? I don't get what this shows other than
A. Apple is popular (already known)
B. Mobile and tablet devices are booming (also known).

This is a pretty stupid comparison. Comparing multiple device sales with just PC?
They're about tied if you include all Windows devices.

I hate the "other" category. My iPhone has like approx 10Gb of space used up by "other"... How am I supposed to figure out what is using that space to clean out my phone?

Look in the settnings of your iPhone it should tell you what app is using the space etc.

I have a Hackintosh that suddenly started fucking up. I might have to reformat it but I want to grab some files off of it before so.

If I plug the SSD into another friend's Hackintosh...it should be able to be read right? And I can grab the files I need?

Deku Tree

I have a Hackintosh that suddenly started fucking up. I might have to reformat it but I want to grab some files off of it before so.

If I plug the SSD into another friend's Hackintosh...it should be able to be read right? And I can grab the files I need?

Sure. Unless the drive is messed up itself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Backups. Backups are important. Backups are more important than the most important file you have on your drive. Backups are cheap as dirt now. Both local and online kinds.

/PSA

Fuchsdh

Is there a way I can hide my Mac from a being seen on my network? Like so it won't be seen from other computers ?

Turn off any ticked boxes in the System Preferences "Sharing" pane.

I believe you can also stop your computer from so much as responding to outside pings in either the sharing or security panes.

Is there a way I can hide my Mac from a being seen on my network? Like so it won't be seen from other computers ?

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall

Turn on Firewall, click Firewall options and enable 'stealth' mode and read up on the other options.

My Macbook Air has these set and doesn't show up.

Obviously your Mac will still be on the network, so the router and anyone sniffing traffic can see it, but it doesn't broadcast anything.

Now that the new Pro is out, I'm wondering what the upgrade cycle is going to be like. People gave Apple crap for not upgrading their systems yearly but the volumes of Pro buyers are so low (and I imagine a lot of sales will be happening this year since there was pent-up demand) I dunno if they'd follow up this one with a new model in December. PCIe 3 and DDR4 (especially the latter) with Broadwell…. would definitely be what I'm looking for in a substantial update.

It'll also be interesting to see what the graphics cards options will be going forward—if Apple is going to keep making the custom-sized cards with two or three specs or if there will be enough of a market for others to jump in once people are looking for upgrades in two or three years.

Not saying it isn't imprecise, but the "low", "medium", "high" measures in gaming performance usually are a mix of turning off/on features and resolution generally rather than locking everything except res and adjusting just that. You're always going to have to fiddle with your settings, that's just the joy of Mac/PC gaming...
Yeah there's no way I'm buying a first gen Mac Pro. They'll add some kind of new tech in the next revision that later versions of Mac OS will end up requiring or something, like some modification necessary for future apps to support OpenCL.

Like how the first gen Retina iPad didn't really have the proper GPU power to run iOS 7.

Deku Tree

The first Revision is usually solid with Apple. Like the iPad 2 which lasted this long. Or the "S" versions of all the iPhones. Or the second MacBook Air. Etc.

The first Revision is usually solid with Apple. Like the iPad 2 which lasted this long. Or the "S" versions of all the iPhones. Or the second MacBook Air. Etc.

Exactly. This is why I always get the "S" model iPhones. They last so much longer. I went from 3GS to 4S to 5S.

Fuchsdh

Yeah there's no way I'm buying a first gen Mac Pro. They'll add some kind of new tech in the next revision that later versions of Mac OS will end up requiring or something, like some modification necessary for future apps to support OpenCL.

Like how the first gen Retina iPad didn't really have the proper GPU power to run iOS 7.

Well, the beauty of OpenCL is it's software-based. At this point, there's never going to be a worse time to own a new Mac Pro, in terms of how much of its power you'll be able to unlock, than right now (basically only Final Cut is truly optimized for it, along with a handful of small, nimble app developer's work like Pixelmator.) That can only get better though, and I have no reason to doubt that it will. It's just a matter of time, like how Adobe dragged their feet on retina UI for their applications. But I doubt Apple will add any hardware optimizations that we haven't thus seen. Things like Grand Central Dispatch are what they've always leveraged.

Water

Well, the beauty of OpenCL is it's software-based. At this point, there's never going to be a worse time to own a new Mac Pro, in terms of how much of its power you'll be able to unlock, than right now (basically only Final Cut is truly optimized for it, along with a handful of small, nimble app developer's work like Pixelmator.) That can only get better though, and I have no reason to doubt that it will. It's just a matter of time, like how Adobe dragged their feet on retina UI for their applications. But I doubt Apple will add any hardware optimizations that we haven't thus seen. Things like Grand Central Dispatch are what they've always leveraged.
Out of curiosity, are you (or anyone else here) familiar with how this Apple stuff actually works from a developer perspective - do you mess with actual OpenCL code, or do you use some Apple interfaces and don't benefit from knowing OpenCL itself?

(Asking because I'm likely going to get to know CUDA and/or OpenCL in the near future. I'm not interested in anything proprietary to Apple; language is C++.)

Top Bottom