• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

Out of curiosity, are you (or anyone else here) familiar with how this Apple stuff actually works from a developer perspective - do you mess with actual OpenCL code, or do you use some Apple interfaces and don't benefit from knowing OpenCL itself?

(Asking because I'm likely going to get to know CUDA and/or OpenCL in the near future. I'd be using with generic C++, not something Apple specific.)

I know a cursory amount of C, OpenGL and OpenCL. Mostly all I need to touch are markup languages and JavaScript for Adobe scripting though.

CUDA might be a good idea but it's implementation in Adobe applications is so cruddy that I've been turned off it (also I don't really like its Nvidia only status but that's just the way of business.)

What're you going to r using it for.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well I bring my Mac into work and I noticed that someone was using my iTunes library. I just wanna take the precaution
I hate that too. That happened to me. I think it slows down your computer too. Turn off iTunes music sharing. Then they can't use your library.
Or you can set a password. In case you actually want Sharing as an option for home. Just hope your coworker doesn't come by and ask to listen to your stuff.

Turn off any ticked boxes in the System Preferences "Sharing" pane.

I believe you can also stop your computer from so much as responding to outside pings in either the sharing or security panes.
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall

Turn on Firewall, click Firewall options and enable 'stealth' mode and read up on the other options.

My Macbook Air has these set and doesn't show up.

Obviously your Mac will still be on the network, so the router and anyone sniffing traffic can see it, but it doesn't broadcast anything.
I have a question about the opposite here. Is there any way to disable certain machines from showing up in the Finder sidebar? My dad has a bunch of PC's he needs for work and I never need to connect to them, but they always show up when he has them on. Can I hide them by name? I can't drag them out or anything so they're just there.

Deku Tree

Or you can set a password. In case you actually want Sharing as an option for home. Just hope your coworker doesn't come by and ask to listen to your stuff.

I actually had that happen to me. After I turned off iTunes sharing, the guy actually came by my office and asked me to turn it back on because he liked my music. He also asked me to leave my computer on overnight so that he could keep listening to my music after I left work. Some people will do that. I just said no, and told him that it slows down my computer and it needlessly wears out my computer when I'm not using it.

I have a question about the opposite here. Is there any way to disable certain machines from showing up in the Finder sidebar? My dad has a bunch of PC's he needs for work and I never need to connect to them, but they always show up when he has them on. Can I hide them by name? I can't drag them out or anything so they're just there.

I am not sure but I know that you can turn off viewing of all shared disks in the sidebar in the finder preferences. Then you could add "Remote Disc" to the devices sidebar, and you would only see what disks are available if you click on it. That's what I do.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I actually had that happen to me. After I turned off iTunes sharing, the guy actually came by my office and asked me to turn it back on because he liked my music. He also asked me to leave my computer on overnight so that he could keep listening to my music after I left work. Some people will do that. I just said no, and told him that it slows down my computer and it needlessly wears out my computer when I'm not using it.
Tell him to get a streaming account to Spotify or something.

I am not sure but I know that you can turn off viewing of all shared disks in the sidebar in the finder preferences. Then you could add "Remote Disc" to the devices sidebar, and you would only see what disks are available if you click on it. That's what I do.
I don't want to turn them off. I have Macs in there I actually need to connect to. I just want to turn off all the shitty randomly named PCs that show up.

And Remote Disc is only for DVD/CDs that are in the drive of a remote machine. If I click it I get my Mac mini showing up and then trying to open that says it's asking to use the machine before failing and saying I was denied. No. Nope. Turning that back off right now. I will never use that.

Sucks because I can drag the Remote Disc out and it goes away. In Preferences it then shows a "halfway" checkbox indicating that its contents are partially shown. If only we could do that with Shared machines. Drag ones we don't want to see out. They could appear if we go into Computer/Network and have a checkbox or something somewhere to reenable showing them in the sidebar.

Deku Tree

Oh sorry. But you can put your whole computer in the sidebar, I think. I have no shared computers right now so I can't check... but then click on yourComputer>Network. Then I think you'll have access to your other computers with two clicks and no clutter.

Water

I know a cursory amount of C, OpenGL and OpenCL. Mostly all I need to touch are markup languages and JavaScript for Adobe scripting though.

CUDA might be a good idea but it's implementation in Adobe applications is so cruddy that I've been turned off it (also I don't really like its Nvidia only status but that's just the way of business.)

What're you going to r using it for.
For now, I just want to get familiar with GPU compute in general. Would probably implement some realtime graphics stuff, physical simulation, etc. and do rendering with OpenGL. It'd be an asset if I ever go near heavy scientific/business computing jobs.

Well, the beauty of OpenCL is it's software-based. At this point, there's never going to be a worse time to own a new Mac Pro, in terms of how much of its power you'll be able to unlock, than right now (basically only Final Cut is truly optimized for it, along with a handful of small, nimble app developer's work like Pixelmator.) That can only get better though, and I have no reason to doubt that it will. It's just a matter of time, like how Adobe dragged their feet on retina UI for their applications. But I doubt Apple will add any hardware optimizations that we haven't thus seen. Things like Grand Central Dispatch are what they've always leveraged.

Actually, the next few GPU lines from Nvidia and AMD are going to dramatically improve memory addressing for GPGPU workflows like OpenCL and will allow us to accelerate things with OpenCL/OpenGL that wasn't possible before.

Fuchsdh

Actually, the next few GPU lines from Nvidia and AMD are going to dramatically improve memory addressing for GPGPU workflows like OpenCL and will allow us to accelerate things with OpenCL/OpenGL that wasn't possible before.

Well of course the hardware's always going to get better, I'm referring to the software support though with a system you go out and buy today.

CFMOORE!

forgive me for retreading an obvious previously asked question, but in the current MBP lines, with respect to user upgradeable RAM, is there is anything to know about it? Is it a much more difficult task in these newer machines?

i want to get the $1499 one with the 8GB standard and upgrade it myself to 16 if it is much cheaper than the Apple custom build to 16GB.

Fuchsdh

forgive me for retreading an obvious previously asked question, but in the current MBP lines, with respect to user upgradeable RAM, is there is anything to know about it? Is it a much more difficult task in these newer machines?

i want to get the $1499 one with the 8GB standard and upgrade it myself to 16 if it is much cheaper than the Apple custom build to 16GB.

The RAM is soldered on in the entire Apple notebook line now so unless you're extremely dedicated and willing to super-void your warranty or AppleCare it's non-upgradeable.

Fuchsdh

yikes. and here i thought only Air was still soldered. thanks for the info!

Oh, sorry, should add since I just combined the notebooks and 21.5" iMac in my head—it's soldered on which means it's not upgradeable, period, AFAIK. The 21.5" iMac doesn't use soldered RAM but it's hidden the two slots deep in the machine, necessitating the total teardown.

Futureman

Obviously there isn't an iPod Shuffle OT so I'll vent in here...

$23 to replace the charging cable? hahaha oh gosh sometimes I hate Apple so much.

SmoothCB

I'm planning on getting the rMBP 13 with 8gb ram and 512gb ssd and want/need to use boot camp.

How do I go about downloading and transferring the windows iso (currently using a windows 7 based laptop) to use for boot camp installation? The download from the Microsoft store seems to be an exe. I'm in China so don't have access to a physical disc option.

japtor

So that it seems Broadwell will be pushed back, what will Apple do as far as new products go in the near future?
Do bumps with the Haswell refresh parts?

(And Haswell-E might actually be out before Broadwell so the Xeons won't lag behind! ...for a few weeks/months at least)
I'm planning on getting the rMBP 13 with 8gb ram and 512gb ssd and want/need to use boot camp.

How do I go about downloading and transferring the windows iso (currently using a windows 7 based laptop) to use for boot camp installation? The download from the Microsoft store seems to be an exe. I'm in China so don't have access to a physical disc option.
Look for the Digital River disc image links.

Fuchsdh

Do bumps with the Haswell refresh parts?

(And Haswell-E might actually be out before Broadwell so the Xeons won't lag behind! ...for a few weeks/months at least)

Look for the Digital River disc image links.

Yeah Haswell-E's look to be the Mac Pro I'm looking for, but I'm concerned about actual availability. The Mac Pros getting backlogged this badly can't only be supply--someone on the Accidental Tech Podcast pointed out that buying yourself an 8-core Xenon was next to impossible, suggesting at least some of the blame lies on Intel itself. Being so chip-constrained is not that great...

Just received my iPad! Perfect for multitasking.

MGZHQFS.jpg

Now, is there something I should know or do, like good apps I might not know about?

Depends... what are you interested in doing?
Hm... games, social media, watching videos, reading news/NeoGAF/books/comics etc., stuff like that. I don't make music and I'm not a photographer so I'm not interested in image editing programs and stuff like that.

How do I play The Walking Dead on my Macbook Air with the Xbox 360 controller?

I was told to install some Xbox 360 driver for Mac OS so I downloaded it, installed it and rebooted but whenever I plug in my controller the screen turns grey with an error message saying there was an error and the Mac has to reboot.

I don't want to play with the keyboard, what should I do?
Your Mac is having a kernel panic. Uninstall that driver. More and more games have 360 controller support built-in, so I would try it without a driver. If that doesn't work, wait for the driver-maker to update for 10.9.
I've uninstalled the driver (I got it from http://tattiebogle.net/).

Tried playing Hotline Miami and The Walking Dead but the controller wasn't even detected. The 'X' button doesn't even light up when the controller is plugged in.
You need the TattieBoggle driver in order to use an Xbox controller. OS X dies not have any sort of controller drivers at all like OS 9 did. You will need the driver.

I didn't know it wasn't working in 10.9. I have to try it out when I get home. It was working during the DP's. I had no crashes. I don't think it's the driver here. Try reinstalling it again.

The only problem I've ever had is that the OS X driver reports all the buttons IDs differently from Windows so I have never had it work right in any Source engine game.
Turns out Android File Transfer was the program conflicting with the Xbox 360 controller driver. Uninstalling Android File Transfer fixed the problem.

I gave up on this issue months ago but I've just found an unofficial, updated version of the Tattieboggle driver that makes the Xbox 360 controller work on OS X Mavericks! No more kernel panic, no more conflict with Android File Transfer, and the buttons are perfectly recognized.

Here is the solution: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ks-compatible-xbox-360-controller-driver.html

So today I received a Thinkpad in the mail. It had a lot of issues and I hated the touchpad. Returning that.

On a related note, this evening I came home from the mall with a 13" MBA base. This is my first time using OS X... I like it! Don't really know what I'm doing but it seems nice so far. Not sure if 4GB memory will be enough but I'll test it over the next week or so.

The experience thus far has been absolutely painless. Apple has the whole process of buying a new computer down to a science.

edit: holy crap OS X is polished. I just found the gestures, dictionary lookup, things like that... such a nice experience!

Is there a shortcut that lets me search for apps? Without using the mouse to click on the spotlight icon. Thanks.

edit: nm found it, command+<space>

Talon

Is there a shortcut that lets me search for apps? Without using the mouse to click on the finder icon. Thanks.
You can either use MIssion Control (the Rocket icon on the left) or use Command + Space to use Spotlight search (the Talon-recommended methodology)

Talon

Is there a way to open a link in a new tab with a single click? Like a setting to use 3 fingers or something like that. Instead of holding command, or right-clicking first.
Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Open pages in tabs instead of windows > Select 'Always.'

Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Open pages in tabs instead of windows > Select 'Always.'

Thanks, have that though. I meant more when you just click on a regular link that wouldn't have opened in a new window anyway (like clicking on the gaf gaming discussion tab). Is the only way to command click?

Thx for the help. :D

Every Mac I've had not including my first PowerBook has been plauged with problems and they're just getting worse. My latest laptop is a kernel panic freak. Is it even worth sticking with mac anymore? What are the new laptops like?

Talon

Thanks, have that though. I meant more when you just click on a regular link that wouldn't have opened in a new window anyway (like clicking on the gaf gaming discussion tab). Is the only way to command click?

Thx for the help. :D
Middle-click if you have a mouse. I...no offense, friendo, I just have never used or expected that behavior, so I have nothing for you there. Not even quite sure how to do that in Chrome on Windows.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just use BetterTouchTool to interpret three finger click as Command+Click. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. I just use my pinky to press the Command key while clicking with my thumb. For me three finger click is reload. And three finger swipe switches tabs.

Edit: oh, are you using a mouse? Well, if it has enough buttons, you can still use BTT to set one of the buttons to do it too.

I'm trying to make a bootable USB flash drive, but for some reason they're not being recognized during the boot sequence. They don't show up in the start up disk either. I've tried on 2 different Macbooks; One is an older 2007 Macbook and the other is a 2010 Macbook Pro with a clean hard drive.

Any idea as to what the deal is? I've done it before, so I can't understand why it doesn't work now.

Deku Tree

I'm trying to make a bootable USB flash drive, but for some reason they're not being recognized during the boot sequence. They don't show up in the start up disk either. I've tried on 2 different Macbooks; One is an older 2007 Macbook and the other is a 2010 Macbook Pro with a clean hard drive.

Any idea as to what the deal is? I've done it before, so I can't understand why it doesn't work now.

With Mavericks? You need to use a different procedure to create it with Mavericks than was the case with previous OSX's.

This procedure works:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/1...otable-os-x-10-9-mavericks-usb-install-drive/

Top Bottom