• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Not enough information to answer your question properly.

Sorry about that, but I managed to get my USB Boot Drive of Mountain Lion to show up when I startup while holding down the options key. Though, the trouble I'm having now is that, after clicking the USB drive, I get to the gray screen with the Apple Logo and spinning gear (?), which spins for a good bit and then stops. It's been on that screen for a while now.

I'm trying to install Mountain Lion on a 2010 13" Macbok Pro with an empty hard drive installed.

I'm not too sure what other information you need.

I'm trying to install Mountain Lion on a 2010 13" Macbok Pro with an empty hard drive installed.

If you hold 'v' after you select the boot drive, you may be able to invoke verbose mode and see in the robot barf where it is hanging.

May be worth trying another USB drive.

I have done what you're doing on the same Mac with no issues.

Deku Tree

Sorry about that, but I managed to get my USB Boot Drive of Mountain Lion to show up when I startup while holding down the options key. Though, the trouble I'm having now is that, after clicking the USB drive, I get to the gray screen with the Apple Logo and spinning gear (?), which spins for a good bit and then stops. It's been on that screen for a while now.

I'm not too sure what other information you need.

It's possible that (1) your homebrew USB loader was made incorrectly or (2) your USB stick is faulty or (3) your copy of ML is corrupted or (4) your computer is malfunctioning or several other things...

You could try to use "apple internet recovery"... by googling that and following the directions on Apples website.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
question...

I installed boot camp a year ago and installed Win 8. I haven't used Win 8 in a while so I opt to run that at start up and it just hangs on the OS selection screen. Did I break it???

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
question...

I installed boot camp a year ago and installed Win 8. I haven't used Win 8 in a while so I opt to run that at start up and it just hangs on the OS selection screen. Did I break it???

Didn't Mavericks break old BootCamp partitions or something? I dunno. Does OS X still boot? You might need to just reinstall Windows.

If you hold 'v' after you select the boot drive, you may be able to invoke verbose mode and see in the robot barf where it is hanging.

May be worth trying another USB drive.

I have done what you're doing on the same Mac with no issues.

I tried another USB drive and ended up with the same problem.
I booted up in verbose mode to try and figure out what was going on, but I couldn't make heads or tails from it. So, I compared it to another mac booting up in verbose mode and figured that it stalls after DSMOS has arrived.

There's also a string in verbose mode that I noticed on the malfunctioning Mac.
Code:
Bug: launchctl.c:3557 (23930):17: loctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1

I booted up in verbose mode to try and figure out what was going on, but I couldn't make heads or tails from it.

I would Google the last few lines see if anything turns up, e.g. "Mountain lion installer won't boot ___________"

Which instructions for making a bootable 10.8 stick are you following?

Deku Tree

Yeah one time I made a USB OS X installer that just didn't work. Turns out I was following poor or out of date or old directions.

Sometimes Apple changes things which makes some sets of directions not work correctly all the time anymore.

Deku Tree

You might try asking at the Apple Support Communities. There are lots of hardcore Apple computer folks overthere who sometimes enjoy troubleshooting such issues on the internet. Lots of folks there know a lot about this stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has anyone heard of this issue?

A few days ago, it looked like my battery died. It was listed as "Replace Now" condition and would basically die the moment I unplugged it. I tried resetting the SMC and all that a few times and nothing worked, so I just assumed that the battery was dead and I would have to get a new one.

Now today, the battery is working normally and it doesn't give that message any more. Is my battery almost dead anyway, and this is some fluke before it dies for good?

Is my battery almost dead anyway, and this is some fluke before it dies for good?

Maybe. Suspect it's on the way out, but it'll likely just degrade more with time instead of not working altogether. Go find the Apple KB article on best practices with your laptop's battery. My partner's MBP's battery does the same thing because she does a bunch of things in contrast to that article.

Deku Tree

Has anyone heard of this issue?

A few days ago, it looked like my battery died. It was listed as "Replace Now" condition and would basically die the moment I unplugged it. I tried resetting the SMC and all that a few times and nothing worked, so I just assumed that the battery was dead and I would have to get a new one.

Now today, the battery is working normally and it doesn't give that message any more. Is my battery almost dead anyway, and this is some fluke before it dies for good?

I thought that "Replace Now" condition just had to do with the computers count of how many charging cycles your battery has had.

Have you tried the "CoconutBattery" app?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I have iStat Menus. It also listed the battery condition as "poor" a few days ago but is now back to "normal".

I've had 200 cycles, but I understand that they are supposed to be rated higher?

It was really weird because it would literally just turn off the moment I unplugged it and I had to reset the SMC to even get the charging light/battery indicator light to show up again. Of course, if I can avoid paying the 200 bucks for a new battery, that'd be great... but I'd rather pay it than just lose the ability to use the Mac on battery altogether.

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to take it in to the store, even though it's way past its warranty.

Deku Tree

Yeah, I have iStat Menus. It also listed the battery condition as "poor" a few days ago but is now back to "normal".

I've had 200 cycles, but I understand that they are supposed to be rated higher?

It was really weird because it would literally just turn off the moment I unplugged it and I had to reset the SMC to even get the charging light/battery indicator light to show up again. Of course, if I can avoid paying the 200 bucks for a new battery, that'd be great... but I'd rather pay it than just lose the ability to use the Mac on battery altogether.

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to take it in to the store, even though it's way past its warranty.

Newish Macs have batteries rated for 1000 cycles. Older ones can have 500 or even 300 if I remember correctly. Apple has a web page somewhere that can tell you the rating of your battery. Of course the rating may not be the only factor. Yes you should take it into an apple store and show it to a Genius Bar dude.

With a refurb, if I have issues can I take it to a local Apple store? Or is that only if you buy it new?

edit: refurb direct from apple's website.

Deku Tree

With a refurb, if I have issues can I take it to a local Apple store? Or is that only if you buy it new?

edit: refurb direct from apple's website.

Of course you can take it to a local Apple store. You can take any Apple computer to talk to a Genius Bar person at any Apple store no matter how you acquired it. Talking to them is free.

Sec0nd

Random software updates from programs like Java and VLC suddenly require a password. Not the password request promoted by OS but by the programs themselves. Which seems odd... Any idea what's going on?

TUSR

Banned
Random software updates from programs like Java and VLC suddenly require a password. Not the password request promoted by OS but by the programs themselves. Which seems odd... Any idea what's going on?
That sounds shady as fuck, id google it first and see what's up. (It hasn't happened to me)

Deku Tree

I never heard of a program requiring a password that was not the OS password for your username. I would not trust it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wouldn't trust that. I have both VLC and Java and haven't had them asking for passwords via the normal dialog let alone just in general.

Take a look in Activity Monitor and see if you notice any out of place process names and Google them if it doesn't look like something you think should be there.

Post some screenshots.

If you have not got it yet get Little Snitch asap and make sure nothing is trying to send your details elsewhere just in case until you can locate the issue. VLC should definitely not require your password for an update.

Fuchsdh

Trash both applications and nuke any dependent files, then go to their respective web sites and download them again straight from the source.

Sec0nd

Thanks for the swift replies guys. Unfortunately I haven't got any screenshots to show. I will take one if it happens again. And thanks for the recommendation of Little Snitch. Will try it out and see if anything out of the ordinary shows up.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Didn't Mavericks break old BootCamp partitions or something? I dunno. Does OS X still boot? You might need to just reinstall Windows.

I'f have to wipe my old bootcamp partition to reinstall windows. Since I had a lot of steam games on that partition, I was trying avoid doing that. If what you say is true then.....fuck.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'f have to wipe my old bootcamp partition to reinstall windows. Since I had a lot of steam games on that partition, I was trying avoid doing that. If what you say is true then.....fuck.
I don't know if it was completely widespread. But I seem to remember some complaints about it back in October.

I think I may have discovered the root of my problem. The battery. The battery in the machine is done. I can't turn the computer on without it being plugged in. I know that the battery powers the PRAM in these machines, so that would explain why my date kept resetting to Jan. 1st 2000. The date and time were also the reason why I couldn't manual install the updates I downloaded from the Apple website. Once I corrected the date they installed correctly.

After each restart my computer has reset the date back to Jan. 1st 2000. I think that's the problem. It's screwing up with the updates somehow. I've tried to zap the PRAM, a couple of times, already. So, I bought a new battery and I'm pretty positive that it'll solve my problem.

I've spent several days working on this thing. Apple Support Communities were no help, either. I guess it's a good thing I'm clever. Thanks for all of your help guys!

I can't believe the battery life I can get out of the MBA. I've used it an hour already and it predicts 14:46 remaining (!!).

My old laptop was from 2007... I'm blown away, in many ways.

What's the easiest way to do a bare metal recovery from a Time Capsule? I managed to fumble through it when I swapped my HDD out for an SSD last year, but it managed to be more of a pain than I thought it would be since I wasn't able to do Command-R which I'm assuming had to do with the lack of a recovery partition due to it being a blank drive. I just bought an SSD to swap into my wife's Macbook and I'd like to avoid going the route of connecting the SSD via USB and dumping an image to that since I think it's a pretty clumsy when Time Machine should be able to take care of all of that.

Deku Tree

What's the easiest way to do a bare metal recovery from a Time Capsule? I managed to fumble through it when I swapped my HDD out for an SSD last year, but it managed to be more of a pain than I thought it would be since I wasn't able to do Command-R which I'm assuming had to do with the lack of a recovery partition due to it being a blank drive. I just bought an SSD to swap into my wife's Macbook and I'd like to avoid going the route of connecting the SSD via USB and dumping an image to that since I think it's a pretty clumsy when Time Machine should be able to take care of all of that.

I think it is easiest to first install the OS, and then to use Migration Assistant to install all your time machine data.

Anyone know how to fix the issue where iTunes on OS X says it loses the network connection when trying to purchase something? I keep getting that error (latest iTunes & OS X) every time I try purchasing something.

Downloads from already purchased stuff works fine, though. And my iPhone purchases instantly on the same wireless network.

Already tried it on both wired and wireless as well as following the troubleshooting steps on Apple's website. Kinda stumped now.

Deku Tree

Anyone know how to fix the issue where iTunes on OS X says it loses the network connection when trying to purchase something? I keep getting that error (latest iTunes & OS X) every time I try purchasing something.

Downloads from already purchased stuff works fine, though. And my iPhone purchases instantly on the same wireless network.

Already tried it on both wired and wireless as well as following the troubleshooting steps on Apple's website. Kinda stumped now.

Did you install iTunes 11.1.5 (released a few hours ago today)?

Futureman

Guy who hired me for video work has a brand new iMac. I have the latest MBP. Can we just connect with a thunderbolt cable and I can send him video files?

Top Bottom