• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Two Words

I doubt it will happen. They've been rolling with 2 USB ports on their laptops for quite a while now.

On another note, what are the chances that the new OS will be free to download just like Mavericks was last year?

I think they will continue you make them free because of the Mac App Store. They probably want all Mac users to have access to as many apps as possible on the Mac App Store. It's likely that making divisions by OS X versions could limit app availability.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The number pad is one of those things Apple would rather destroy. They've removed them completely from their lineup. Don't expect it to ever return. Like the floppy disk, and the optical drive when that's finally gone. And like the floppy disk and optical drive, there are still third-party (Or in the case of the optical, first-party) options there if you need it. Including phone/tablet apps that mimic the feature.

Personally I never used it even when I had a PC in the '90s. I always preferred to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

The number pad is one of those things Apple would rather destroy. They've removed them completely from their lineup. Don't expect it to ever return. Like the floppy disk, and the optical drive when that's finally gone. And like the floppy disk and optical drive, there are still third-party (Or in the case of the optical, first-party) options there if you need it. Including phone/tablet apps that mimic the feature.

Personally I never used it even when I had a PC in the '90s. I always preferred to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

The number pad is the only reason why I have the wired apple keyboard.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm waiting for a chassis update. Apple has had the same notebook chassis for what almost a decade now? That's insane!

This is what PowerBooks looked like in '04, bro.

U3nVgun.jpg

Fuchsdh

I think it was one of the ATP guys who pointed out that the Macbook Pro chassis has essentially reached its apex. They made pretty much the thinnest, most self-contained laptop they could--only way to make it thinner than it is now is basically to start shrinking the USB, Thunderbolt and HDMI connectors, which is unlikely to happen any time soon. I guess they could start making them black, like the Mac Pro, but I don't think people want glossy or easily smudged laptops.

TUSR

Banned
I think it was one of the ATP guys who pointed out that the Macbook Pro chassis has essentially reached its apex. They made pretty much the thinnest, most self-contained laptop they could--only way to make it thinner than it is now is basically to start shrinking the USB, Thunderbolt and HDMI connectors, which is unlikely to happen any time soon. I guess they could start making them black, like the Mac Pro, but I don't think people want glossy or easily smudged laptops.

its tough to say where they are going to go with the mobile lineup, seeing how aluminium is such a great material for machine-ability and its mechanical properties. I always wanted to see something unique material wise, but the trade off needs to be there.

Fuchsdh

its tough to say where they are going to go with the mobile lineup, seeing how aluminium is such a great material for machine-ability and its mechanical properties. I always wanted to see something unique material wise, but the trade off needs to be there.

Titanium? :)

I'm actually half-serious. I feel like Apple solved a lot of the problems that made the TiBook unattractive back in its intro days (the hinges, peeling paint... scratches might still be an issue.)

VPhys

I was exaggerating a bit, but still 6 years is way too long. I guess some would argue they've already reached perfection and nothing more can be done in this space unless you start talking about convergence devices. And if that is the case, bring those devices on. I'm tired of the yearly spec updates.

I need some insight from you guys. My mom just bought a 13" MBA 14 refresh and she is lending me it so I can teach her some tricks, I'm also new to the mac universe but I'm way more tech savvy than her and already used some friends MAC.

The MBA is an awesome piece of hardware and I really love to use it but the fan is doing a weird clicking noise if the MBA is put on some angle or there is something plugged in the usb port.

I tried a google search and saw that it was a common issue with MBA but I cannot find if it was worth returning the MBA. My mom couldn't mind the noise but I really don't want her to have a messed up 1000€ piece of hardware.

Deku Tree

I need some insight from you guys. My mom just bought a 13" MBA 14 refresh and she is lending me it so I can teach her some tricks, I'm also new to the mac universe but I'm way more tech savvy than her and already used some friends MAC.

The MBA is an awesome piece of hardware and I really love to use it but the fan is doing a weird clicking noise if the MBA is put on some angle or there something is plugged in the usb port.

I tried a google search and saw that it was a common issue with MBA but I cannot find if it was worth returning the MBA. My mom couldn't mind the noise but I really don't want her to have a messed up 1000€ piece of hardware.

Since the sound may be hard to reproduce on demand. Use your phone to record the sound for as long as you can, then (1) bring it into an Apple genius bar or if that is not possible (2) call Apple on the phone and tell them the problem or (3) if it is within the return period just bring it back and ask for a new one.

Back up your SSD before you do any of those things, and buy AppleCare so that you get a 3 year warranty on your machine.

Your computer should not make a weird clicking sound and you should get it looked at.

Fuchsdh

The MBA is an awesome piece of hardware and I really love to use it but the fan is doing a weird clicking noise if the MBA is put on some angle or there something is plugged in the usb port.

If it's covered, why not take it back? Unless it's all Samsung displays and SSDs in which case are you sure you want to risk it :p

My mom has other worries and think the noise is normal because she only have experience with cheap laptop who do make a lot of noise by design. I wanted to be sure the mba was faulty before bothering her. If it would have been mine I would have returned it to the store the day I bought it.
I wanted to be sure that the fan shouldn't make this noise by inquiring other people who have a mba.
The noise is really noticeable when doing heavy work and the fan is running at high RPM.

Deku Tree

My mom has other worries and think the noise is normal because she only have experience with cheap laptop who do make a lot of noise by design. I wanted to be sure the mba was faulty before bothering her. If it would have been mine I would have returned it to the store the day I bought it.
I wanted to be sure that the fan shouldn't make this noise by inquiring other people who have a mba.
The noise is really noticeable when doing heavy work and the fan is running at high RPM.

Yeah. Not normal. Go get a replacement.

Thanks !

I love using the MBA and I'm quite impressed by the ergonomic, after using it for a couple of days I want one of my own. Browsing and typing on my couch is very comfy with this laptop. It could really boost my productivity.

I've previously complained about the lack of RAM (4 GB) in my Macbook Air. Recently, I've read articles on how AdBlock dramatically increases RAM usage on Firefox so I've disabled it to see by myself if there were any differences.

It's night and day. The articles were right. Before disabling AdBlock (I've always had it disabled on GAF, of course) Firefox used up to 1.90 GB of RAM (making the browser extremely slow) and now I'm down to 278 MB.

Advertisers have won.

Fuchsdh

I've previously complained about the lack of RAM (4 GB) in my Macbook Air. Recently, I've read articles on how AdBlock dramatically increases RAM usage on Firefox so I've disabled it to see by myself if there were any differences.

It's night and day. The articles were right. Before disabling AdBlock (I've always had it disabled on GAF, of course) Firefox used up to 1.90 GB of RAM (making the browser extremely slow) and now I'm down to 278 MB.

Advertisers have won.

Hmmm would be interesting to test and see how that holds true if at all on Safari.

Two Words

So I am going to go with the 16 GB model rMBP when it is refreshed. I know it isn't upgradable, but will we ever hit a point where 16 GB of RAM isn't enough for just about anything outside of crazy $1000 software? I know this question has gone ok for decades, but cone on, we gotta be at a limit here right?

So I am going to go with the 16 GB model rMBP when it is refreshed. I know it isn't upgradable, but will we ever hit a point where 16 GB of RAM isn't enough for just about anything outside of crazy $1000 software? I know this question has gone ok for decades, but cone on, we gotta be at a limit here right?

How much do you use now, and how quickly have you become accustomed to that much?

Deku Tree

"640K ought to be enough for anybody". :)

I have a 16GB 1st edition MBPr. I feel future proof for another couple of years easily.
I've had it since launch, so 2 years and the original plan was to have it for at least 7 years. ;)

Fuchsdh

No OS X version is going to require 16GB for the smooth operation of the system for years and years, so yeah you're going to be fine for the forseeable future.

(On a side note, while selling machines that can't have upgraded RAM sucks, at least Apple has been giving users the right amount of RAM to smoothly run things. 4GB might not last you four or five years, but you can run OS X fine with it now. I remember the days of 10.2-10.3 when they sold eMacs with 128MB when you needed twice that to run the OS with any sort of alacrity.)

Deku Tree

Yeah I have a 16GB rMBP 2012. It still runs fast as anything, and smooth as silk. I keep just about every program that I use open all the time, and the thing never appears to slow down at all. Granted I don't do graphics or video work, but it's still awesome performance. 16GB may not be the max ram in Mac laptops forever, but it sure seems like it's going to be more than plenty of RAM for several more years.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I have a 16GB rMBP 2012. It still runs fast as anything, and smooth as silk. I keep just about every program that I use open all the time, and the thing never appears to slow down at all. Granted I don't do graphics or video work, but it's still awesome performance. 16GB may not be the max ram in Mac laptops forever, but it sure seems like it's going to be more than plenty of RAM for several more years.

Seems like something of a ceiling for now though. Unless they add more RAM slots, you're stuck with paired memory in most cases, and 16GB DIMMs are going to be hella' expensive still (and presumably will remain so with DDR4 memory.)

I don't see Apple offering BTO 24GB RAM options, really, especially for soldered RAM.

Deku Tree

Seems like something of a ceiling for now though. Unless they add more RAM slots, you're stuck with paired memory in most cases, and 16GB DIMMs are going to be hella' expensive still (and presumably will remain so with DDR4 memory.)

I don't see Apple offering BTO 24GB RAM options, really, especially for soldered RAM.

If it is really going to be a ceiling because of prices, then I hope it forces Apple and Mac Developers to optimize their code as much as possible (instead of writing a whole bunch of unoptimized bloatware).

Which model are you going with?

I could easily see us arriving at a future state where you don't close anything, and just keep things in RAM, and free up resources by putting things in and out of App Nap.

Furyous

The WWDC revelation about Metal is such an obvious choice that has me happy about the future. It optimizes great games for hardware that's not of the highest spec. In other words, we get console quality graphics on 1 GB of RAM. Imagine what happens if this comes to OS X. It might take years but eventually hopefully we'll see advanced (read: above medium setting) performance on standard mid-tier imacs and retina macbooks.

corn_fest

Advertisers have won.

You could always edit your hosts file rather than using a browser plugin for the best of both worlds.

Fuchsdh

I doubt it will happen. They've been rolling with 2 USB ports on their laptops for quite a while now.

On another note, what are the chances that the new OS will be free to download just like Mavericks was last year?

Considering no Apple laptop save the 17" Macbook Pros has ever shipped with more than 2 USB ports, I'm going to say we're not going to get more ports.

Deku Tree

Hi I'm trying to invest in low cost mac for some light music production.

I have the choice between this mac with upgraded 2tb drive/ssd drive and the cinema display for 400
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP506

vs
the current mac mini which is around 569

What would you recommend for a mac newbie??

Get the newer Mac Mini IMO.

Or, if you can, wait till the end of this year to see if they update the Mac Mini which hasn't been updated since Late 2012. (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini)

A 2009 Mac is very noticeably slower than the newer ones, especially if it doesn't have 8GB or more of RAM and depending upon the processor inside. Although it is a Mac Pro so maybe it still holds up. But the Mac Pro is going to be huge compared to the Mac Mini. The Oct 2012 Mac Mini with SSD or Fusion drive is still good though speed wise IMO.

Although a 2009 Mac Pro including the Cinema display for $400 sounds like a very good price, assuming that it continues to work... To be honest I am not sure how much these things go for... you could check eBay sold prices.

Get the newer Mac Mini IMO.

Or, if you can, wait till the end of this year to see if they update the Mac Mini which hasn't been updated since Late 2012. (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini)

A 2009 Mac is very noticeably slower than the newer ones, especially if it doesn't have 8GB or more of RAM and depending upon the processor inside. Although it is a Mac Pro so maybe it still holds up. But the Mac Pro is going to be huge compared to the Mac Mini. The Oct 2012 Mac Mini with SSD or Fusion drive is still good though speed wise IMO.

Although a 2009 Mac Pro including the Cinema display for $400 sounds like a very good price, assuming that it continues to work... To be honest I am not sure how much these things go for... you could check eBay sold prices.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah I am clueless when it comes to Mac's. I think i shall just go with the mini at the local best buy. Less of a headache compared to ebay

Top Bottom