• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

amrihua

Fuu said:
Damn it all, after one day of usage I got a dead pixel (not stuck, black one that will never go away) on the lower left of the screen of my 13" Air. I wonder if it popped because of the device heating once in a while during more demanding activities.

I wish I wasn't so anal about these things but I'll get in touch with Apple on monday to try and exchange it. What sucks is that it will take a while because on top of not having proper Apple stores in my country I'll have to deal with waiting for the package to go and then arrive back from another state again. Bummer because I was really enjoying my time with it and now it's pointless to keep installing apps and customizing through the weekend.

Dead pixels are a fact of life, I haven't noticed any on any of my Apple products, yet though. I always assumed they were very strict on this compared to others. This could help http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4044
Good luck.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
amrihua said:
Dead pixels are a fact of life, I haven't noticed any on any of my Apple products, yet though. I always assumed they were very strict on this compared to others. This could help http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4044
Good luck.
Thanks. I stumbled upon on their defective pixels policy page a few weeks ago but I presume they'll exchange mine anyway since it would be the same as asking for a refund within the 14-days return policy and buying it again.

I'm still in the vadernooooo.jpg stage of this, I'll get in touch with them anyway to see how it goes but there's always that lingering feeling that even if they send me another one the problem may arise again as that's life with LCD. In fact I also have a stuck pixel on my iPhone 4 but I learned to live with it (coincidentally on the lower left too, lol). Problem is that I'll probably replace my phone in the next one/two years but this macbook is supposed to last much longer than that for me. Oh well, regardless of what I end up doing it's definitely less of an issue than the stuck pixels I had to deal with in the DS and PSP, in that resolution it can actually get annoying.

noah111

Still Alive
Apple rumored to be testing new ultra thin 15" MacBook

AppleInsider said:
Apple is allegedly prepared to add a new thin-and-light 15-inch MacBook to its lineup in the near future, with one report claiming the company has finished development of a crucial test component.

Calling the new notebook model an extension of the MacBook Air family, Macotakara reported on Sunday that Apple is finishing up a "test phase" for the new 15-inch ultraportable. Citing an Asian source, the report said Apple has already finished development of an LCD test component for the anticipated notebook.

However, the report also noted that Apple is believed to be developing a next-generation MacBook Pro that will not have a built-in optical disc drive. The new 15-inch MacBook reportedly "seems to fill" the role of a next-generation MacBook Pro.

Whatever name the new portable Mac might take, rumors have suggested the current physical form factor of the MacBook Pro lineup will undergo a drastic redesign in 2012. For some time now it has been said that Apple will redesign its MacBook Pro lineup sometime next year.

Can't wait. I wonder, will they finally begin to unify the whole MacBook line? Will all old unibodies be the MacBook Pros and the Airs/new 15" slims become the MacBook line?

Either way, I will be jumping on whatever 15" they'll be offering, and if the 13" air/new pros get significant spec bumps, I may even go from my current 15" MBP to a 13".

Jasoco

Banned
I wonder if it might actually be sooner than we think. I mean the last bump was so silent no one even heard it drop hardly so does it barely count as an update so the new ones could come out in the next few months?

noah111

Still Alive
When have the usually updated/introduced new computer lines? Or has it been sporadic? I would guess summer at earliest, or autumn/pre-holidays. If not that, then spring '13 for sure.

At this rate, i'm wondering if the next version of OS X will be introduced/demoed on touch-iMacs.

Jasoco said:
I wonder if it might actually be sooner than we think. I mean the last bump was so silent no one even heard it drop hardly so does it barely count as an update so the new ones could come out in the next few months?

Yeah I was thinking that too. There aren't even new stickers on the macbooks in the store are there? Looks like they want IVB in their macs ASAP but don't want people to be upset over a quick refresh/re-design.

Sentry said:
When have the usually updated/introduced new computer lines? Or has it been sporadic? I would guess summer at earliest, or autumn/pre-holidays. If not that, then spring '13 for sure.

At this rate, i'm wondering if the next version of OS X will be introduced/demoed on touch-iMacs.

They've said they won't do touch on laptops/iMacs since the screen position makes it feel weird.

noah111

Still Alive
I don't think they've really said that in an official capacity. Steve said something passively about it once, but it was almost obviously a cop-out excuse (wrist discomfort/holding your arm up).

Easily solved by making it like a table/angled swivel screen surface.

Sentry said:
I don't think they've really said that in an official capacity. Steve said something passively about it once, but it was almost obviously a cop-out excuse (wrist discomfort/holding your arm up).

Easily solved by making it like a table/angled swivel screen surface.

Steve said it publicly during an Apple presentation. Saying it didn't work, they tested it, it felt weird and touch works best in the hand and at a certain angle. And I honestly don't think it was a cop-out excuse, since it sounded a lot like they actually prototyped it and found it not that interesting.

And yeah, the swivel solution is the obvious way to go, and I believe Apple already has a patent with pictures for it, which has been floating around for years now.

noah111

Still Alive
They would say the same about the original iPhone, touch working perfect on a screen this size, etc etc. Just a 'pro' thing when showing off a certain product. I think they will do it, and not just because of the patents.

I have my doubts about a touchscreen but it's for other, more practical reasons, like lid strength/layering/thickness, hinge reinforcement, yield on very large capacitive panels, etc. We're heading there eventually, but I just don't think Apple has solved all of those problems to a satisfactory level yet for their price targets.

Hey Mac experts!

I have an iMac form probably 2008 or 2009. Lately, it has been acting slow, and freezing quite a bit.

What are things I can do to try to improve my Macs performance? I back everything up to an external drive, so if I need to reformat, I can always restore everything. But I'd rather it not come to that.

Jasoco said:

Don't they always show off new designs in the summer? I just can't see it happening before summer. Although, I'd be all over that since I lose my student discount this summer. :(

What NAS do you guys recommend for Mac usage?
I mostly want to use it for time machine and aperture library exports, and maybe iTunes server. I was looking at readyNas duo which seems ok, but pricy. Is is for an eventual transition to SSD.

And I don't want the time capsule, I have an airport extreme already.

Kermy

6.8 said:
What NAS do you guys recommend for Mac usage?
I mostly want to use it for time machine and aperture library exports, and maybe iTunes server. I was looking at readyNas duo which seems ok, but pricy. Is is for an eventual transition to SSD.

And I don't want the time capsule, I have an airport extreme already.

I've been using a Synology DS211j; works pretty well with Time Machine and itunes.

Whoop! 11" MacBook Air with the i7 on the way! Replacing an '06 MacBook that is falling apart.

I suspect it's going to make me want to get SSDs for my '06 Mac Pro (which is otherwise still beastly).

Im a broke college student wanting to try OSX and mac hardware out in general. If I was only to use it to write papers, and and research ( I, E no coding or graphics based work) how good is the mac mini? Im looking specifically at the lowest end model with either 2 gigs of ram or 4 gigs

terrdactycalsrock said:
Im a broke college student wanting to try OSX and mac hardware out in general. If I was only to use it to write papers, and and research ( I, E no coding or graphics based work) how good is the mac mini? Im looking specifically at the lowest end model with either 2 gigs of ram or 4 gigs

The i5 mini has more than enough power, hell even the older C2D will cover all your needs. Just be sure to get 4GB of ram.

Blackhead

Redarse
terrdactycalsrock said:
Does your research require using a web browser? I have a slightly higher end model, with 4GB of RAM and I still get the spinning wheel of death in Safari/Firefox :(. It's best you get the 2GB and buy 8GB (and an SSD drive) separately. The best thing about OSX is the software though so budget for that. Papers and Scrivener are kinda amazing.

Kimosabae

Banned
Does anyone know if having a dead battery effects browser video playback performance? I have a new battery otw, but in the passed week, youtube videos and streams have been playing extremely poorly. It's just choppy as hell. I've tried clearing browser and Adobe caches to no avail. It makes no sense, because videos saved to my disk still play fine.

I have a black Intel Core 2 Duo. Anyone ever have this issue or have any ideas?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Greyface said:
Does your research require using a web browser? I have a slightly higher end model, with 4GB of RAM and I still get the spinning wheel of death in Safari/Firefox :(. It's best you get the 2GB and buy 8GB (and an SSD drive) separately. The best thing about OSX is the software though so budget for that. Papers and Scrivener are kinda amazing.

If you're on Lion and/or using Chrome, it's not the Mac Mini doing this but the software itself.

I have a 2009 Mac Mini that I use to do all kinds of stuff with (video editing and 3D modeling mostly; yup, I'm crazy), and under Snow Leopard, I rarely got the beach ball of doom. Lion has shot that to shit.

However, he should throw as much RAM into it as possible, as the OS loves to use as much RAM as you can throw at it.

Alfarif

Kimosabae said:
Does anyone know if having a dead battery effects browser video playback performance? I have a new battery otw, but in the passed week, youtube videos and streams have been playing extremely poorly. It's just choppy as hell. I've tried clearing browser and Adobe caches to no avail. It makes no sense, because videos saved to my disk still play fine.

What browser are you using? Safari and Chrome seem to be crapping all over themselves in recent weeks. I've never seen anything so choppy in my life.

bionic77

Kimosabae said:

I had a Core Duo MBP and it was noticeably slower when the battery had died. Even taking it out made no difference. It only got fixed when I put in a new battery.

Jasoco

Banned
bionic77 said:
I had a Core Duo MBP and it was noticeably slower when the battery had died. Even taking it out made no difference. It only got fixed when I put in a new battery.
When the battery is removed (Or dead) MacBook's go into lower power usage mode. In that they only use half their processing resources.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm in the same position with a new Mini, what's a good brand of memory that sells 8gb pretty reasonably?

bionic77

Jasoco said:
When the battery is removed (Or dead) MacBook's go into lower power usage mode. In that they only use half their processing resources.
I remember reading something like that but it never made any sense to me why the laptop would go into slow shitty computer mode when connected to a power supply after you had taken the battery out. At least let us use it as a gimped desktop or non mobile laptop.

That would really suck if that was still the case on the unibodies where the battery takes some effort to get to.

Kimosabae

Banned
Alfarif said:
What browser are you using? Safari and Chrome seem to be crapping all over themselves in recent weeks. I've never seen anything so choppy in my life.

Okay, I just dl'ed Chrome for the first time, and the videos are playing as fine as they have ever been in all resolutions.

For some reason, Firefox and Safari are completely worthless right now.

What the hell is going on?

I think my iMac is dead!
My 2006 C2D baby :’-(
It crashed when browsing on Safari so was turned off. Everytime it comes back on it loads to the Apple logo and then freezes on a grey screen and fails to load the log-in window.
I've tried restarting in single user mode, safe mode, lion recovery and booting from a disc to access utilities. No good. I've also reset the p-ram. No dice.
Any hints???

Jasoco

Banned
What does it do when you try to Recovery or boot or anything? Try another HD? Do you have an external HD, or preferably a bootable clone? Make sure it's not the HD. Hopefully you have a backup, right? Riiight?

Alfarif

Kimosabae said:
Okay, I just dl'ed Chrome for the first time, and the videos are playing as fine as they have ever been in all resolutions.

For some reason, Firefox and Safari are completely worthless right now.

What the hell is going on?

I don't know but I'm about to try Firefox because Safari and Chrome are sluggish as hell for me now. It's aggravating!

whitehawk

Banned
Just bought a baseline 21.5" iMac today.

Expensive, but what a sexy machine. Edited a video I made with a friend today and it was awesome. There are a few small nitpick I have, but that might just be because I'm so used to Windows.

So I'll be in the hunt for a laptop here soon (within 6ish months) and I'm really looking at getting an Air. For portability and development.

Looking at things, I'm assuming wait until Ivy Bridge for the best bang for my buck? I mean I could buy one now, but I kind of want better performance.

Chris R

Notrollious said:
So I'll be in the hunt for a laptop here soon (within 6ish months) and I'm really looking at getting an Air. For portability and development.

Looking at things, I'm assuming wait until Ivy Bridge for the best bang for my buck? I mean I could buy one now, but I kind of want better performance.
I say wait for Ivy Bridge not because it is Ivy Bridge, but because the MBP should be getting a redesign (slimmer due to no optical drive, more Airlike, ect)

Jasoco said:
What does it do when you try to Recovery or boot or anything? Try another HD? Do you have an external HD, or preferably a bootable clone? Make sure it's not the HD. Hopefully you have a backup, right? Riiight?
It doesn't do anything when trying recovery or booting.
No matter what mode I try booting into the computer always hangs on a grey screen right after the Apple logo disappears. I have an external HD but it isn't a bootable clone unfortunately, it simply contains my Time Machine back-ups.
I scouted around online and read of similar problems but no fixes :-(

whitehawk said:
Just bought a baseline 21.5" iMac today.

Expensive, but what a sexy machine. Edited a video I made with a friend today and it was awesome. There are a few small nitpick I have, but that might just be because I'm so used to Windows.

I was the same way when I got my 24" iMac back in 2009. The weird feeling will go away in a few weeks when you realize how much nicer and less intrusive OSX is compared to Windows.

whitehawk

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I was the same way when I got my 24" iMac back in 2009. The weird feeling will go away in a few weeks when you realize how much nicer and less intrusive OSX is compared to Windows.
Yup. Small things seem weird too me, how you can't maximize a window. (you can have fullscreen, but thats different than maximized.)

Alfarif

whitehawk said:
Yup. Small things seem weird too me, how you can't maximize a window. (you can have fullscreen, but thats different than maximized.)

You quickly adjust to that. The focus becomes the content and not all of this gigantic empty useless space floating around.

whitehawk

Banned
Only thing that's confusing me..

7edw8.png

What the hell am I supposed to do here? Click on the torrent icon? Drag it into the applications folder? I'm confused...

Recon

Banned
whitehawk said:
Only thing that's confusing me..

7edw8.png

What the hell am I supposed to do here? Click on the torrent icon? Drag it into the applications folder? I'm confused...

Ummm...Its pretty obvious what you do with that.Lmao.

whitehawk said:
lol it's going to take me a while to get used to this. Thanks!
Think of a DMG as a virtual installation-CD. Once you are done copying its content to the Applications folder, eject it. You can delete it after, too.

Top Bottom