• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

whitehawk

Banned
So... I just authorized my computer with iTunes so I can redownload my songs... That was computer 5 out of 5... What happens if I want to buy a laptop next year? Am I screwed? If I call apple can they make or an exception?

Or is there a way to deauthorize a computer? One of them was a laptop I had for a week and then returned =/

whitehawk said:
So... I just authorized my computer with iTunes so I can redownload my songs... That was computer 5 out of 5... What happens if I want to buy a laptop next year? Am I screwed? If I call apple can they make or an exception?

Or is there a way to deauthorize a computer? One of them was a laptop I had for a week and then returned =/

If you need to authorize your new computer and are unable due to already having five authorized computers, you can deauthorize all computers by doing the following:

Click iTunes Store on the left side of iTunes.

If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.

Click the Account button again (your Apple ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.

In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.

whitehawk said:
Thanks so much. Does an iPod touch or iPad count as a 'computer/device'?

I don't think so, no. (I know because my account is full up. Next PC breakdown and I have to send the support email. sigh.) I think it has to be devices that use an authorization prompt, ie: a PC/mac with itunes. Maybe an Apple TV?

jts

...hate me...
Apple Releases MacBook Pro Firmware Update to Fix Unexpected Shutdown Issue

Apple has released MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.5, for all Intel-based MacBook Pro's. The update fixes an issue where the machine would shut off unexpectedly under heavy processor load, even when plugged in.
This update resolves an issue where a MacBook Pro being used with a power adapter may unexpectedly shut down under heavy workload if the battery charge level is near empty.

Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source, or your battery must be at least 25% charged.

When your computer restarts a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update.

Your computer's fans will run at full speed during the update but will return to normal speed once the update completes.

Do not disturb or shut off the power on your computer during this update.
MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.5 can be downloaded from Apple's support website.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1474

Weird. Never happened to me, so I won't fix what isn't broken. HA! Take that Apple!

Pachimari

I think I'm 80% sure I'm gonna buy my first MacBook tomorrow. But I still haven't decided which one it should be, I'm looking at these four (mind you, I live in Denmark):

MacBook Air 11-inch : 64GB ($1400)
1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
processor
2GB memory
64GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

MacBook Air 11-inch : 128GB ($1700)
1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
processor
4GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

MacBook Air 13-inch : 128GB ($1800)
1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
4GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

MacBook Pro 13-inch: 2.4 GHz ($1700)
2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
500GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

What I'll use it for: Writing lots of articles in either Pages or Word. Often I'll have at least 2-3 pages open at a time. I'll be using the Twitter and Reeder apps and they'll constantly be open. I will use mail as well, and stream music to iTunes through Home Sharing from my Mac Mini. I'll use Safari/Chrome as well and often have at least 10 tabs open at a time. Those are the primary needs of me.

I have been told numorous times, that 2GBs is too little. I "got to at least get 4GBs, as the RAM aren't upgradeable on the Air and that's the standard" - even though my needs aren't heavy. I were perfectly fine with my Samsung NC10 netbook of 2GB of RAM - until it died on me last month. I like small thing, the smaller the better actually, so that's something I has been considering as well, but seeing the iPad is 10", it doesn't seem right having a computer with an 11" screen.. i dunno.

Anyway, I just want this MacBook to last me at least 2 years, hopefully more. I'll never take it with me outside, maybe just once to Asia on a travel, but never in my country. So I guess portability isn't important, and that's were the 13" Air comes into the picture. It's kinda the nice spot(?), with it having the design I like, the sleekness and thin aluminum, yet a large screen for work at home.

I don't know, you guys got any inputs before I head out buying one tomorrow?

You want the base 13" model. It's the right screen size for you, the portability is still fine, you get enough RAM...given your requirements 11" is not even a consideration. You'll probably end up deciding between a 15" pro and the 13" Air instead.

Pachimari

The 15" Pro is out of my price range. And as I'm buying the 27" iMac (again) next year, it would seem more appropriate to have a portable computer of 13" or 11" maybe. But you're probably right about the 13" base, I have to think this through.

Anastacio said:
The 15" Pro is out of my price range. And as I'm buying the 27" iMac (again) next year, it would seem more appropriate to have a portable computer of 13" or 11" maybe. But you're probably right about the 13" base, I have to think this through.

You'll see what I mean when you see the laptops in-store. Even if you're not prepared to buy, drop by an Apple store (or your equivalent for your area). The 11 is basically an iPad that flips open; it's that small. I'd buy it if I was a roaming screenwriter or something, but if I ever wanted to run multiple apps at once and do some basic window management, it's just too damned small.

Blackhead

Redarse
If you got 10 tabs open in Safari then your needs are definitely heavy :lol. That said, the beachballs won't seem too bad if you were already happy with a netbook...

I'd suggest an 11" since you'll never take it out the house, except when traveling, and then spend the rest of the money of a 22"+ monitor with keyboard and mouse/trackpad. The 11" won't last you two years imo but hopefully in a year we'll get some use out of the thunderbolt port with external gpus that can 'cheaply' extend the life of a docked notebook.

Edit: you have a mac mini and are planning to buy an iMac?! What do you need a laptop for and damn I wish I had your budget :lol

Jasoco

Banned
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
It doesn't do anything when trying recovery or booting.
No matter what mode I try booting into the computer always hangs on a grey screen right after the Apple logo disappears. I have an external HD but it isn't a bootable clone unfortunately, it simply contains my Time Machine back-ups.
I scouted around online and read of similar problems but no fixes :-(
Well, if it is the HDD, and it probably is, just buy a new one and migrate from the TM backup.

You'll either need a portable Lion installer or a Snow Leopard disc to start with. If you use the SL disc, just install normally, go to the App Store and redownload Lion and install fresh then migrate from the TM backup.

omgkitty

Anyone else just get an email about a lawsuit against Apple and their power adapters? Here's what I got:

LEGAL NOTICE

If you are the original owner of certain MacBook or MacBook Pro computers and/or you purchased a standalone 60W or 85W MagSafe power adapter for these computers, you could be entitled to benefits under a class action settlement

The settlement will provide a cash payment if you are the original owner (by purchase or gift) of certain Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro computer models (“Subject Computer”) or separately purchased an Apple 60W or 85W MagSafe “T” Power Adapter (“Adapter”), your Adapter showed signs of Strain Relief Damage, and you purchased an Adapter as a replacement (“Replacement Adapter”) within three years of purchasing the Subject Computer or Adapter. You may also be able to obtain a replacement adapter at no charge from Apple if your Adapter shows signs of Strain Relief Damage now or in the future. The United States District Court for the Northern District of California authorized this notice. The Court will have a hearing to consider whether to approve the settlement, so that the benefits may be paid.

WHO’S AFFECTED?

You’re a “Class Member” if you are a United States resident who purchased in the United States an Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro computer or an Apple 60W or 85W MagSafe MPM-1 (“T”) Power Adapter.

WHAT’S THIS ABOUT?

The lawsuit claimed that the MagSafe “T” Adapter is defective in that it allegedly “dangerously frays, sparks and prematurely fails to work,” and that Apple engaged in misrepresentations regarding the Adapter. Apple denies all allegations and has asserted many defenses. Apple is entering into this settlement to avoid burdensome and costly litigation. The settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing.

WHAT CAN YOU GET FROM THE SETTLEMENT?

Apple has agreed to provide a cash payment to Class Members who purchased a Replacement Adapter for a Subject Computer or Adapter covered by the settlement and who send in a valid claim form. The settlement provides for different cash payments depending on when you purchased a Replacement Adapter.

YEAR REPLACEMENT ADAPTER PURCHASED
CASH PAYMENT AMOUNT
YEAR 1
THE ACTUAL AMOUNT PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT ADAPTER (EXCLUDING TAX & SHIPPING) UP TO $79
YEAR 2
$50
YEAR 3
$35

There is a limit of three refunds per Subject Computer.

You may also be able to obtain a replacement adapter at no charge from Apple if your Adapter shows signs of Strain Relief Damage now or in the future.

HOW DO YOU GET A PAYMENT?

A detailed notice and claim form package contains everything you need. Just call 1-888-332-0277 or go to www.AdapterSettlement.com to get one.

HOW DO YOU GET A REPLACEMENT ADAPTER?

If your Adapter shows signs of Strain Relief Damage now or in the future, you may claim a replacement under Apple’s Adapter Replacement Program by taking your Adapter and computer to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider or contacting AppleCare. Strain Relief Damage means fraying, melting, straining, sparking, weakening, discoloration, bubbling, overheating and/or separation of the Adapter’s strain reliefs.

IMPORTANT DEADLINES

To claim a cash payment, you must mail the claim form postmarked on or before March 21, 2012. To obtain a Replacement Adapter, you must contact Apple within three years from the date you purchased a Subject Computer or standalone Adapter, or May 21, 2012, whichever is later; no claim form is required. If you do not claim a cash payment or Replacement Adapter within these time periods, you will lose your right to obtain these benefits.

WHAT ARE YOUR OPTIONS?

If you don’t want to make a claim and you don’t want to be legally bound by the settlement, you must postmark your request to exclude yourself by January 6, 2012, or you won’t be able to sue, or continue to sue, Apple about the legal claims in this case. If you exclude yourself, you will not be eligible to receive a payment from this settlement.

If you stay in the Class, you may object to the settlement. Objections must be received by January 6, 2012. The detailed notice describes how to exclude yourself or object. The Court will hold a hearing in this case (In re MagSafe Power Adapter Litigation, Case No. C09-01911-JW) on February 27, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. to consider whether to approve (1) the settlement and (2) attorneys’ fees and expenses of up to $3.1 million and service payments to Plaintiffs of $5,000 each (not to exceed $30,000). You may appear at the hearing, but you don’t have to. To obtain a full notice and claim form, go to www.AdapterSettlement.com or call toll free 1-888-332-0277. For more details, go to www.AdapterSettlement.com or contact Helen Zeldes, Esq., Zeldes & Haeggquist, LLP, 625 Broadway, Suite 906, San Diego, CA 92101, 619-342-8000 or contact Steven A. Skalet, Esq., Mehri & Skalet, PLLC, 1250 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20036, 202-822-5100.

Please do not reply to this email.

Koodo

Banned
My 60W MagSafe adapter cable broke (near the adapter). Is it true we can get a replacement for free or do we have to shell out the $80? I already purchased the thing but haven't even opened the box yet.

And by the way, I'm not asking this due to that lawsuit in the post above (I'm from Canada anyway). Just wondering if Apple has a replacement policy.

Pachimari

So I went to the store today and had the money with me, but I took a look at the Air and Pro before buying. Unexpectedly I think I came to the conclusion, that I find the Air design "ugly" on the inside, I really don't like, that it's not glass edge-to-edge and that the bezel is grey. The black band you can see ruins it for me as well. =(

The 13" Pro looks fantastic, but I really don't want a HDD and have no need for the disc drive. I want a SSD in it, but if I choose to get a Pro with a SSD, will it be just as fast and efficient as the Air's SSD?

Anastacio said:
So I went to the store today and had the money with me, but I took a look at the Air and Pro before buying. Unexpectedly I think I came to the conclusion, that I find the Air design "ugly" on the inside, I really don't like, that it's not glass edge-to-edge and that the bezel is grey. The black band you can see ruins it for me as well. =(

The 13" Pro looks fantastic, but I really don't want a HDD and have no need for the disc drive. I want a SSD in it, but if I choose to get a Pro with a SSD, will it be just as fast and efficient as the Air's SSD?

SSD is SSD. Otherwise wait and see what Apple does with the Pro line in 2012.

noah111

Still Alive
^You were really ready to buy the Air, after consuming all the knowledge you can about it and seeing it in numerous pictures, then you 'noticed' it had a grey bezel and suddenly said 'nope not buying'?

Hard to believe, bro. I thought I was fucking obsessed with design, in fact I HATE the non-gloss/non-glass black bezel, I find it very 05-07 MB style and old looking, but it wouldn't stop me from getting a great laptop.

Blackhead

Redarse
Anastacio said:

The Pro's SSD will actually be faster. Apple's SSDs are regarded as rather low end and there is a decent selection of third party SSDs that are cheaper and better.

The 13" Pro has a godawful screen though which is what you'll be looking at 99% of the time after the first week of owning either machine. I'd trade a 'better' bezel with a worse screen for a better screen with a 'worse' bezel without a second thought.

Pachimari

Sentry said:
^You were really ready to buy the Air, after consuming all the knowledge you can about it and seeing it in numerous pictures, then you 'noticed' it had a grey bezel and suddenly said 'nope not buying'?

Hard to believe, bro. I thought I was fucking obsessed with design, in fact I HATE the non-gloss/non-glass black bezel, I find it very 05-07 MB style and old looking, but it wouldn't stop me from getting a great laptop.
It's not because I suddenly "noticed" the grey bezel, in fact, I had looked at one some months prior to today. But when my got feeling inside me says "don't buy, you don't like the design as much as you thought you would", then $1.800 is a lot of money.

The 13" Pro I looked at had a glossy bezel though.

Greyface said:
The Pro's SSD will actually be faster. Apple's SSDs are regarded as rather low end and there is a decent selection of third party SSDs that are cheaper and better.

The 13" Pro has a godawful screen though which is what you'll be looking at 99% of the time after the first week of owning either machine. I'd trade a 'better' bezel with a worse screen for a better screen with a 'worse' bezel without a second thought.
I didn't notice the awful screen, but you're probably right.
Though, when I pay for a Mac, I pay for design, so to me it's important, that I like the design a lot. =)

I will take one more trip to the store again on Monday, because right now I'm without a computer and I need one, but I am not in a hurry. =)

I might end up with an Air or a Pro afterall, but I'll buy it when I am ready hehe.

Greyface said:

The current 13" Pro's screen isn't as good as the one from a couple of years ago, but it's still miles ahead of the screens available on 99% of Windows laptops.

Pachimari

lunarworks said:
The current 13" Pro's screen isn't as good as the one from a couple of years ago, but it's still miles ahead of the screens available on 99% of Windows laptops.
I liked the Pro's screen, but I'm coming from a Samsung NC10 netbook and liked that one as well. =)

JavyOO7

Bought myself a 2011 Mini base model. Honestly I love the thing, ha. Compared to my 7 year old desktop and a 5 year old laptop this thing is god tier. Only mistake I've made so far is that I noticed while the Mini brings in a HDMI to DVI adapter that both of my tv's don't have a DVI port just VGA and HDMI. So I got myself a mini display port to VGA adapter when really I should have just gotten the HDMI to HDMI cable... bad thing is that my small LED television doesn't play nice with the mini with the VGA port enabled... but my big screen HD television does so I guess I'm happy. Definitely have to get a HDMI cable soon, though.

I guess my biggest test for this little guy is when I boot camp Win 7 and see how LoL plays on this thing. I didn't get the discrete graphics Mini so I wonder how well the Intel HD 3000 internal could handle it. I'm kinda excited to see, to be honest.

Now using Lion itself? I won't lie, its super nice. And I can't even say in words why its nice but it just is. But for sure I can tell this guy needs 8 GB of RAM. And I do want to get an external blu ray player eventually as well.

Pachimari

If I buy a used MacBook Air which is 3 weeks old, is there supposed to be an installation-USB in the package? How do I reinstall the whole system?

Anastacio said:
If I buy a used MacBook Air which is 3 weeks old, is there supposed to be an installation-USB in the package? How do I reinstall the whole system?

I can't answer your second question, but they don't come with any means of re-installing.

Pachimari

Alright, I bought a brand new MacBook Air a few hours ago, and I actually really like it so far. It fits my desk of wood as well, kinda nice. I really love iCloud by the way. Having the iPad, iPhone, Mac Mini and MacBook Air all connected seamlessly, wow. Love it. I'm glad I went with 4GB and 128 SSD, as I were a little bit surprised of "only" having 105GB left with the included iLife apps and Messenger installed. Of course the OS and updates takes space too. Thanks to everyone who helped me and pushed for 4GB. =)

Is it healthy having it connected to a power source as you use it? I'm thinking of just charging it to 100%, then unplug the charger and let the battery run dry before charging again - I mean, the OS saves everything anyway.

Now I'll go buy some protection for the keyboard, as I have slid up the letters on all my previous keyboards. I kinds let my fingers rest and then I drag them along either keys, as I write really fast without looking at the keyboard, I kind of feel my way.

I'm thinking about getting the Thunderbolt 27" monitor for my MB Pro for video editing. Huge resolution, extra fw & USB outs, and built in power make it a pretty attractive 'dock' I can just plug into. Anyone used one?

Greyface said:
How do the quality and performance of the imac's SSDs compare? I'm looking to get an imac with an SSD, but the additional cost is immense. Even if buying it third party is cheaper, I do not feel competent enough to install an SSD on my own.. for a novice, how feasible is an SSD installation?

sikkinixx

Does anyone know if PPC Macs still get iTunes updates? I'm about to buy a G4 iMac just for kicks and I am wondering if I can use it to host content for my Apple TV.

Borman

sikkinixx said:
Does anyone know if PPC Macs still get iTunes updates? I'm about to buy a G4 iMac just for kicks and I am wondering if I can use it to host content for my Apple TV.

Even if it did, I dont know if Id want to use it. Most people I know use older versions of iTunes on their old PPC machines.

Pachimari

It this normal?

My MacBook Air says 99% (5 hours and 29 min), after two minutes it says 98% and in fact, it seems to jump all over the place, from 4 hours left to 5 hours etc. Maybe this is normal.

Edit: Right now, it doesn't seem to register any of my multi-finger gestures that well too.

bionic77

Anastacio said:
It this normal?

My MacBook Air says 99% (5 hours and 29 min), after two minutes it says 98% and in fact, it seems to jump all over the place, from 4 hours left to 5 hours etc. Maybe this is normal.

Edit: Right now, it doesn't seem to register any of my multi-finger gestures that well too.
The battery life changes a lot depending on what you are doing.

To maximize it try not to do anything with flash and turn the brightness down very low.

SwiftSketcher said:
How do the quality and performance of the imac's SSDs compare? I'm looking to get an imac with an SSD, but the additional cost is immense. Even if buying it third party is cheaper, I do not feel competent enough to install an SSD on my own.. for a novice, how feasible is an SSD installation?
It is really easy to change the RAM or HD on a MBP. I don't think you can change anything on the Airs anymore. I never had an iMac but I recall that it is not for the faint of heart to change the ram. I think the HDs are more easily accessible though? Not 100% sure on that one. There should be some nice youtube videos for every model of iMac to guide you through it.

Anastacio said:
It this normal?

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your battery. It should be done every few moths anyway:

http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/03/calibrating-your-macbook-battery.html

Pachimari

teruterubozu said:
Sounds like you need to recalibrate your battery. It should be done every few moths anyway:

http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/03/calibrating-your-macbook-battery.html
But I just bought it. =/
Isn't it normal that the battery status changes all the time?

By the way, would installing the Java plug-in be okay?
Because my bank is only running with that.

Edit: So calibrating the battery is basically what I'll be doing everyday, as I'll let the battery run dry before charging it all the way up.

Anastacio said:
But I just bought it. =/
Isn't it normal that the battery status changes all the time?

By the way, would installing the Java plug-in be okay?
Because my bank is only running with that.

The battery status changes depending on what is running. Yes, sometimes opening a process heavy app will drain the battery faster, then when you turn off said app, the battery charge may jump back up. To a degree, the percentage rate of the battery is "forecast-ed" and not super accurate.

Java plug-in is just fine on Macs.

Battery recalibration is usually done every few months, not everyday. Although the newer Macbooks are said to not require it at all.

Pachimari

Alright, thanks for the link and your help sir.

So, I went to Java.com to install a java plug-in, but it turns out, that I have to check it out through "Software Update..." in the Apple menu, but it doesn't find any Java. My bank needs the Java plug-in installed though, and it doesn't seem like java.com lets me install it manually.

Edit:
Sometimes I'm too quick, I found out myself through Spotlight.

Pachimari

I think they'll launch the iPad by April, MacBook Air and iMac by June and July, and then an iPhone and Apple TV next fall. I for one hope there won't be a new Apple TV shortly after New Year, as I'll probably get an Apple TV for Christmas, but I understand where you're coming from.

amrihua

whitehawk said:
I'm gonna bookmark this page so I can come back here in a month and laugh at myself.

One of the things I love most about OS X is the simplicity of installing most apps as they don't require an installer. I guess though for new users that can be intimidating.

Zutroy

So is the industry expecting a redesign of the Macbook Pro range in the first quarter next year? I'm planning on getting one but probably not until January anyway.

Pachimari

Hmm.. This I have encountered for more than a year n my Mac Mini as well. Some apps, like Yahoo Messenger, and other apps downloaded from the Internet always ask me, if I'm sure I wanna open it whenever I go into the app, can't I get rid of that?

amrihua

Anastacio said:
Hmm.. This I have encountered for more than a year n my Mac Mini as well. Some apps, like Yahoo Messenger, and other apps downloaded from the Internet always ask me, if I'm sure I wanna open it whenever I go into the app, can't I get rid of that?

It should only ask you once, the first time and never again. You aren't running them from the DMG every time are you?

Pachimari

amrihua said:
It should only ask you once, the first time and never again. You aren't running them from the DMG every time are you?
I'm clicking on the icon in the Launcher, I'll try again.
How do I see how much RAM I am using and on what?

Thanks for the kind responses in here by the way. =)

Anastacio said:

When you downloaded the app, did you just drag it into the launcher and not /applications? If so, its probably opening the dmg every time you launch the app, causing that dialog.

As for RAM, /APplications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app

amrihua

Anastacio said:

Just because it's in the dock doesn't mean you are not launching it from a DMG. Can you check where it is in Finder? Make sure you copy it to your Application folder and launch it from there every time. It is a newbie mistake, we've all been there.

Anastacio said:

Just type Activity Monitor in Spotlight (magnifying glass in top right corner)

PhoncipleBone said:
I was hoping it would be out by now, because I really want one. But it should be early next year at this point. I hope...

I was about to get an Apple TV until I did a little research and realized how old it was since the last revamp of the device. Hopefully it comes out in the next for months.

Pachimari

Everything's fine now.
Come to think of it, it doesn't seem like, there's any keyboard protector for the Danish keyboard at all, and I don't want to wear down the letters on the keys - I have done it on all past computers I have had!

Is there anything one can do to solve this problem? It would be sad to see the keyboard wear down on such an expensive machine, yet, it wouldn't benefit if I slowed down my typing, that would be unnatural. Any solutions?

And, does it hurt, if let's say, I charge the MacBook Air over the night, and let the charger in when it's 100% charged?

dark_chris

Is it possible for the Macbook Pro (mid2010) to have a 1TB hard drive? Im thinking of upgrading and wondering if such an option is available.

Top Bottom