• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

Just bought a late 2013 rmbp. This'll be my very first experience with a Mac so I'm very excited but also nervous. I've avoided macs pretty much my entire life and like many other PC users, pretty much had a negative impression of them (expensive, inflexible, expensive proprietary parts etc.)

I guess using iPhones and iPads over the years has changed my tune on Apple, as those are generally excellent products. I'm worried about obsolescence with the rmbp tho. Especially since the config is basically fixed, and practically nonupgradable. How much usage can I expect out of the late 2013 model before things just slow down to a halt or it's no longer supported? 5 years?

Mac usually go to vintage after 5 years, yeah. As for slowing down over time, I've found that there are few things that can't be solved by wiping your hard drive, reinstalling the OS fresh and putting back docks and applications selectively. I tend to do it every few years on my machines, keeps them running like new (if a bit of an extreme reaction :p).

You should get at least three or four of the next OS supported (not included 10.10), possibly more, just depends on if there are any big technology shifts that Apple would end support for.

mug

How much usage can I expect out of the late 2013 model before things just slow down to a halt or it's no longer supported? 5 years?
Macs hold their value for quite some time. The non rMBP is fairly easy to maintain and you can replace the battery on your own with little issue. The battery is probably the only issue you'll run into down the line. As for gradual obsolescence, it really depends on your workload. If you're just using it as a web machine with light productivity you'll be golden for a long while.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I guess using iPhones and iPads over the years has changed my tune on Apple, as those are generally excellent products. I'm worried about obsolescence with the rmbp tho. Especially since the config is basically fixed, and practically nonupgradable. How much usage can I expect out of the late 2013 model before things just slow down to a halt or it's no longer supported? 5 years?

I'm using a 2006 Core Duo Macbook and it's speedier than the college i5 Wintel ones (though that's more a policy thing). It's locked at Snow Leopard though but still plenty usable. They'll last you a long time.

Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah, I suspect I'll mainly be using it for web browsing with word processing, photo editing, IT stuff on the side. I've got consoles for gaming

The fixed flash storage bums me out, and I hate being tethered to an external HDD, but I guess USB 3.0 may mitigate that. It'll be interesting moving to Mavericks since I've never ever used OSX before. I may look into bootcamp just for the hell of it, but from what I understand, OSX is what makes the Mbp so good anyhow (optimizations I guess). Anywho, very excited for it to come in.

I also take it that the rmbp's are gonna be refreshed later this year? I did a little bit of reading on that but it seems like Broadwell will likely miss Oct. so maaayyyyyybeeee I'm safe. Then again I'm coming from an '09 C2D win vista machine so this should feel like stepping into something from a farflung future haha

Deku Tree

Just bought a late 2013 rmbp. This'll be my very first experience with a Mac so I'm very excited but also nervous. I've avoided macs pretty much my entire life and like many other PC users, pretty much had a negative impression of them (expensive, inflexible, expensive proprietary parts etc.)

Max out the RAM and buy one of the higher end processors, and it should last a long time for most tasks.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

What's a good zipper less sleeve for a macbook pro 15in retina? I've looked at ACME cases, and Mujjo. What other brands are good alternatives? Thanks!

Max out the RAM and buy one of the higher end processors, and it should last a long time for most tasks.

Isn't the RAM soldered in? I ordered the late 2013 MAC. I think the quad haswell is hardly the weak link in the package. Lack of discrete graphics is kind of a bummer (especially at the price) but I hardly think I'll be gaming on the Mac. I just want a blazing fast system that's got an awesome trackpad and a decent keyboard to do some moderately heavy work on.

Really wish SSDs weren't so damn expensive tho. 256 GB is pretty scant

Deku Tree

Isn't the RAM soldered in? I ordered the late 2013 MAC. I think the quad haswell is hardly the weak link in the package. Lack of discrete graphics is kind of a bummer (especially at the price) but I hardly think I'll be gaming on the Mac. I just want a blazing fast system that's got an awesome trackpad and a decent keyboard to do some moderately heavy work on.

Really wish SSDs weren't so damn expensive tho. 256 GB is pretty scant

On the laptops, yes. On the high end iMac, I don't think so.

For your second point, I think your gonna get that.

Just went to best buy to fool around with the rmbp. My god. Coming from a purely windows background I felt like a special needs child trying to tackle advanced math. It took me awhile to even figure out that you could click the trackpad hahaha. I can tell that I'm gonna have to go thru a major readjustment period from day one. It's just so incredibly foreign to me :(

Other than that, i think I prefer the tapered form factor of the air better than the rmbp. I actually started off on the air. On first glance it looked really grainy in the display, but that all dissipated after awhile. I actually forgot it was a non retina device until I then moved to the unit next to it haha.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just went to best buy to fool around with the rmbp. My god. Coming from a purely windows background I felt like a special needs child trying to tackle advanced math. It took me awhile to even figure out that you could click the trackpad hahaha. I can tell that I'm gonna have to go thru a major readjustment period from day one. It's just so incredibly foreign to me :(
You'll pick it up fast. I sold my MBP to my dad 3 years ago and he came from a Windows only background and picked it up so fast. He still likes to be taught things but most stuff comes naturally. He didn't know you could click it either. He uses tap to click instead.

Plus you have us. And a plethora of awesome advanced powerful utilities to make OS X feel as close to Windows as you want. (BetterTouchTool and many others offer the window snapping from Windows 7, and OS X has "show desktop" built-in for those who need them.)

Plus Yosemite is coming and man that's gonna be a heck of a lot of fun. Especially if you have any iOS devices.

You'll pick it up fast. I sold my MBP to my dad 3 years ago and he came from a Windows only background and picked it up so fast. He still likes to be taught things but most stuff comes naturally. He didn't know you could click it either. He uses tap to click instead.

Plus you have us. And a plethora of awesome advanced powerful utilities to make OS X feel as close to Windows as you want. (BetterTouchTool and many others offer the window snapping from Windows 7, and OS X has "show desktop" built-in for those who need them.)

Plus Yosemite is coming and man that's gonna be a heck of a lot of fun. Especially if you have any iOS devices.

Yeah I'm definitely excited about exploring a new OS, but also kinda anxious due to how unfamiliar it all is. I'll definitely be checkin in from time to time to request some help about the dumbest shit I'm sure haha. I mean seriously, I didn't even know how to launch any of the apps in the store for a solid 4 or 5 minutes. I kept thinking "where the hell are the mouse buttons?" Tried "tapping" the trackpad as well to no avail :l

kennah

Hmm, I wonder why I'm struggling. Do you have it setup to click or tap? I find mainly precision movements (selecting) while having to put pressure on the pad to be awkward.
I use both. I find being able to get around the canvas with two fingers to be very useful. Zoom can be finicky as I sometimes rotate instead. Three finger drag is my favourite thing ever.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I'm definitely excited about exploring a new OS, but also kinda anxious due to how unfamiliar it all is. I'll definitely be checkin in from time to time to request some help about the dumbest shit I'm sure haha. I mean seriously, I didn't even know how to launch any of the apps in the store for a solid 4 or 5 minutes. I kept thinking "where the hell are the mouse buttons?" Tried "tapping" the trackpad as well to no avail :l
Tap to click is off by default I believe. Turn it on in System Preferences > Trackpad... That is if you want to use tap to click. I can't stand it myself. The delay is terrible. It's so much better to click the trackpad.

The nice thing about the trackpad is how versatile it is. You can press down with your thumb, then use your fingers to drag while keeping the thumb still if you want. You can start clicking with two fingers, then put a third down and remove the first two and it'll act like it's still the first gesture.

Should I return the 13 rMBP for a 27" iMac? Will I regret losing the retina display? Will Apple bring a retina iMac for <$2000 this year?

Mostly I'm tired of charging, checking battery percentage, etc I just want to use the computer without caring about battery time. And I might be done with laptops.

Help.

Fuchsdh

Should I return the 13 rMBP for a 27" iMac? Will I regret losing the retina display? Will Apple bring a retina iMac for <$2000 this year?

Mostly I'm tired of charging, checking battery percentage, etc I just want to use the computer without caring about battery time. And I might be done with laptops.

Help.

I doubt it. Doing a retina on the current 27" iMac means pushing a 5120 x 2880 resolution. I don't see how you could get decent performance out of the laptop GPUs they've got out there, or at least get decent performance at a not-crazy price point.

Deku Tree

The next step is to put a 4K display in the iMacs. Retina doesn't really make sense for a 27" screen from a cost benefit perspective. Also 4K is still somewhat of a niche market for photo and video professionals and hardcore gamers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
4K on the 21" iMac would make sense. The UI would remain the same size but the pixels would quadruple.

But on the 27" they'd have to put in a 5120x2880 resolution display in order to make it Retina and keep the UI the same. Either way they'd be quadrupling the pixels across the board.

I'm sure the GPUs could support it on the better models. I mean I push a 4K+ resolution on my Retina MBP by having it set to 1200p. Even on my Iris Pro it runs fine. I'm sure the 755Ms could handle it.

It's really the cost. Maybe next year there'll be a single Retina model at the very high end just to dip into the Retina for desktops market. Perhaps if and when the 27" TB display is updated for Retina. The only problem with releasing a HiDPI TB display is the limitations with current models. (The newest Retina MBP only supports 1600p through TB and lowers the FPS on HDMI at any of the *K resolutions. Neither of which are high enough for 27" Retina.)

In time, Retina will come. But not yet.

Number45

I use both. I find being able to get around the canvas with two fingers to be very useful. Zoom can be finicky as I sometimes rotate instead. Three finger drag is my favourite thing ever.
Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a chance before picking up a mouse.

Fuchsdh

4K on the 21" iMac would make sense. The UI would remain the same size but the pixels would quadruple.

But on the 27" they'd have to put in a 5120x2880 resolution display in order to make it Retina and keep the UI the same. Either way they'd be quadrupling the pixels across the board.

I'm sure the GPUs could support it on the better models. I mean I push a 4K+ resolution on my Retina MBP by having it set to 1200p. Even on my Iris Pro it runs fine. I'm sure the 755Ms could handle it.

It's really the cost. Maybe next year there'll be a single Retina model at the very high end just to dip into the Retina for desktops market. Perhaps if and when the 27" TB display is updated for Retina. The only problem with releasing a HiDPI TB display is the limitations with current models. (The newest Retina MBP only supports 1600p through TB and lowers the FPS on HDMI at any of the *K resolutions. Neither of which are high enough for 27" Retina.)

In time, Retina will come. But not yet.

And that's the big issue with a Thunderbolt display. Maybe they make a 24" 4K display like Dell--I'd personally love that size format.

But DisplayPort can only handle 4K@60fps, so you literally can't push 5K video until DP 1.3 gets approved. HDMI 2 can only handly 4K@60fps and its adoption is generally worse than DP.

I don't see any way they could physically make an external 27" retina display with current technology and connectors.

Blackhead

Redarse
And that's the big issue with a Thunderbolt display. Maybe they make a 24" 4K display like Dell--I'd personally love that size format.

But DisplayPort can only handle 4K@60fps, so you literally can't push 5K video until DP 1.3 gets approved. HDMI 2 can only handly 4K@60fps and its adoption is generally worse than DP.

I don't see any way they could physically make an external 27" retina display with current technology and connectors.

Has that ever stopped Apple before?

Fuchsdh

Has that ever stopped Apple before?

I don't see Apple creating its own new display spec again. They've used standard connectors since 2004.

DP 1.3 wasn't expected to be finalized until Q2 2014, and given that I've seen no news articles recently I assume it hasn't. Apple's gone with draft specs before (.ac) but they were all but approved at those points. I can't see them jumping the gun months and months before specs are locked down and approved.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't see Apple creating its own new display spec again. They've used standard connectors since 2004.

DP 1.3 wasn't expected to be finalized until Q2 2014, and given that I've seen no news articles recently I assume it hasn't. Apple's gone with draft specs before (.ac) but they were all but approved at those points. I can't see them jumping the gun months and months before specs are locked down and approved.

Cinema display required an expensive adapter to work with non-Apple computers and the Thuderbolt display broke that workaround. Apple doesn't care about broad support for its displays.

Deku Tree

Cinema display required an expensive adapter to work with non-Apple computers and the Thuderbolt display broke that workaround. Apple doesn't care about broad support for its displays.

Judging by the time since the last update of the ACD, you might guess that Apple doesn't care about external displays at all anymore. They couldn't even be bothered to update the USB hub in it to 3.0 spec...

Fuchsdh

What are you talking about? Cinema displays from 2004-on (the time period I mentioned) use either DVI, Dual-link DVI, mini-display port, or Thunderbolt. The latter might be fairly uncommon or rare among consumer PCs, but they're all cross-platform.

Blackhead

Redarse
What are you talking about? Cinema displays from 2004-on (the time period I mentioned) use either DVI, Dual-link DVI, mini-display port, or Thunderbolt. The latter might be fairly uncommon or rare among consumer PCs, but they're all cross-platform.

Apple LED Cinema Display
Goodbye DVI, hello DisplayPort

The first issue is the Mini DisplayPort, which is a replacement for Apple’s ageing Mini DVI connection previously found on iMacs, MacBooks and older PowerBooks. Apple gets bonus points for opening up this Mini DisplayPort standard to the market, offering it as a no-fee connection for any monitor or computer manufacturer looking for an alternative to DVI (which requires a license fee). So Apple seems serious about making this a de facto standard for smaller computers.

However, Apple promptly loses all bonus points for leaving everybody other than the owners of the brand new MacBook range out in the cold. This is because every other Mac uses a variant of DVI and Apple has – so far – failed to provide any adaptor for owners of older Mac computers. To say this strikes us as odd is something of an understatement – it’s frankly baffling...

It may be that adaptors are in the pipeline, making this something of a moot point, but seriously… how complex is a plastic adaptor to build compared to a whole new monitor? Surely Apple could have supplied previous MacBook owners with an option other than upgrading to a new laptop. In the meantime the lack of an adaptor seriously limits the market for this display.

(As a quick aside to this, there’s also a feeling of “yet another” display standard from Apple; this is the company that introduced a brand new Micro DVI connection for the MacBook Air in January this year, only now to phase it out with this Mini DisplayPort connection less than 11 months later – possibly the shortest lifespan of a connection ever.)

Were it that the DisplayPort was the only contentious issue surrounding the LED Cinema Display for MacBook...

Apple’s Thunderbolt Display doesn’t play nice with Mini DisplayPort
What is really going to rub folks the wrong way, we suspect, is that the Thunderbolt Display is not configured to work with a miniDP display plugged in to its Thunderbolt port. It wouldn't be surprising if more than one user with an existing 27" Cinema Display or other miniDP display got a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac and ordered a Thunderbolt display expecting to be able to add the miniDP display at the end of the chain.

Adding a miniDP display at the end of the chain works with other Thunderbolt peripherals that have downstream ports, so it's not a technical limitation of the spec. Why Apple added this limitation we cannot say, but it could be construed as a move designed to sell more $999 Thunderbolt displays. A more unfortunate side effect, we believe, is that not working according to the spec will add consumer confusion and hamper what is beginning to be a wider rollout of the technology in the PC industry...

Apple doesn't care about broad compatibility when releasing a new display.

jts

...hate me...
Sooo... today I got a small screw lodged inside my Macbook Pro's headphone jack :(

It's lodged pretty bad... I probably made it worse by trying to plug my headphones (before noticing the problem).

Now I can't use headphones, but worst of all I also can't get regular sound from the regular speakers. Shit sucks.

Went to a repair shop (Apple authorized serviced provider), they couldn't anything about it a pinch... basically not even tearing the computer open would do much, because the jack is closed from all other sides.

Fuck me.

Any suggestions at all?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Take some pictures. Because unless there's a small opening where you can fit something in to grab it, you'll just have to never ever use headphones or speakers again.

How did you get a screw stuck in the headphone jack?

jts

...hate me...
Take some pictures. Because unless there's a small opening where you can fit something in to grab it, you'll just have to never ever use headphones or speakers again.

How did you get a screw stuck in the headphone jack?
Pretty hard to see, but I hope this does the job:

8YXculAl.jpg

As to how it got there... I'm thinking one of these...

zEosk24l.jpg

Got loose inside my bag (it's vertical), and somehow got into the jack when it was facing down, by sheer bad luck. And I finished the job when I tried to plug in my headphones.

I won't give up on this shit, if I have to amputate/unplug the whole jack so that at least my speakers get re-enabled (hopefully). Argghhh infuriating coming up with an Youtube link and not being able to hear shit.

Blackhead

Redarse
Now I can't use headphones, but worst of all I also can't get regular sound from the regular speakers. Shit sucks.

Any suggestions at all?

I won't give up on this shit, if I have to amputate/unplug the whole jack so that at least my speakers get re-enabled (hopefully). Argghhh infuriating coming up with an Youtube link and not being able to hear shit.

Try SoundSource for the speakers or, perhaps, bluetooth headphones?

jts

...hate me...
Try SoundSource for the speakers or, perhaps, bluetooth headphones?
Thanks. It's not compatible with 10.9 (or 10.8), but upon further investigation I figured that if the jack switch gets stuck in digital/optical mode, there's nothing I can do besides trying to fiddle around to unstuck it. lol. Fuuuuck.

Bluetooth is an option. As is an external display with speakers via mDP-HDMI. Haven't tried yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I know it's not Mac hardware, technically, but I need some more Lightning cables. The one from my iPad has shredded and won't power the device anymore and causes the computer disable USB devices when plugged in.

So anyone have suggestions for cheap replacements that won't just fall apart?

I'm looking at Monoprice. Are these reliable?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1083101&p_id=10375&seq=1&format=2

$12, but still cheaper than Apples.

Deku Tree

I know it's not Mac hardware, technically, but I need some more Lightning cables. The one from my iPad has shredded and won't power the device anymore and causes the computer disable USB devices when plugged in.

So anyone have suggestions for cheap replacements that won't just fall apart?

I'm looking at Monoprice. Are these reliable?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1083101&p_id=10375&seq=1&format=2

$12, but still cheaper than Apples.

I got two of their six footers over a year ago. The cable cover is a little bit separated at the ends but both of them still work fully.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I got two of their six footers over a year ago. The cable cover is a little bit separated at the ends but both of them still work fully.
I just don't want them to bunch up. ALL of Apples cables bunch up. It's like the rubber coating expands and bunches up until it splits. Every single one does it eventually.

Know what Apple cable I have that hasn't done it yet or shown signs of it happening eventually? My 2003 iPod 3G cable with the PROPER cable stress reducer on it.

I took this a while ago:
Left you see my cable from 2003. Middle the one from my 2010 iPod Touch. Right, at the time my iPad mini cable with signs of bunching. (It is now completely shredded and broken due to stress and the lack of stress reducing rubber.) If they hadn't switched to Lightning, I'd still be using my 2003 cable.

Just got my rMBP in. FUUUUUUUU this thing is like stepping into the far-flung future or something compared to what I was coming from.

Watched the gesture vids and was surprised and delighted to see that the gestures were for the most part exactly the same to what I was coming from using the iPad. Now I just have to get used to the OS. Was kinda bummed to see that FooBAR doesn't exist on MAC. Now I'm just worried that Packet Tracer doesn't support MAC either. I hope they cleared up that bootcamp stuff, cause I'm gonna have to use PT for router/switch simulation :/

Mobius 1

Just got my rMBP in. FUUUUUUUU this thing is like stepping into the far-flung future or something compared to what I was coming from.

Watched the gesture vids and was surprised and delighted to see that the gestures were for the most part exactly the same to what I was coming from using the iPad. Now I just have to get used to the OS. Was kinda bummed to see that FooBAR doesn't exist on MAC. Now I'm just worried that Packet Tracer doesn't support MAC either. I hope they cleared up that bootcamp stuff, cause I'm gonna have to use PT for router/switch simulation :/

Ecoute is a simple music player in the tradition of Foobar... sans customization

Fuchsdh

You cable destroyers. I haven't wrecked a cable in my life. Probably recycled my old iPod cables though--god knows the 30 pin cables tended to multiply.

Speaking of which I wish you could choose to not include cables or peripherals you don't need. I don't need more hard drives with three 0.5m cables, nor do I need more keyboards and mice (one reason I like the Mac mini and Pro.)
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Just rolling with iTunes for now. Trying to figure out how to import from an external HDD right now lol. I see that F5 to refresh a page, and stuff like ctrl+c to copy doesn't work? God damn this is gonna take some getting used to lol

Just substitute command for control in your head. Almost all the basic shortcuts are the same save for that. It's in the "wrong" place on the keyboard for you unfortunately.

Yeah I just looked up some key shortcuts. This is all so, so weird coming from windows. I can't discern whether you can view some sort of file tree where you can see folders where programs/drivers are installed like windows. Also weirded out how diving into folders just opens consecutive windows instead of diving further into the tree within the same window. I'm really hoping bootcamp works cause I'm missing the comfort of windows right now :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I just looked up some key shortcuts. This is all so, so weird coming from windows. I can't discern whether you can view some sort of file tree where you can see folders where programs/drivers are installed like windows. Also weirded out how diving into folders just opens consecutive windows instead of diving further into the tree within the same window. I'm really hoping bootcamp works cause I'm missing the comfort of windows right now :/
The hotkeys are so good in OS X. And you can change all of them. ALL OF THEM. Open System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and you can change them. And download BetterTouchTool and you can add your own. Including new commands that just alias other ones.

Set a folder to List View and you can see a collapsable tree of all your folders. And UNLIKE WINDOWS, you can calculate the size of folders contents. Something I can't live without and Windows STILL does not do in 30 years.

Also, turn on the TOOLBAR (Command+Option+T) if you want to have one window with all folders opening inside it.

Fuck Windows. Let it go. Everyone has an adjustment period. OS X is so much better.

The hotkeys are so good in OS X. And you can change all of them. ALL OF THEM. Open System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and you can change them. And download BetterTouchTool and you can add your own. Including new commands that just alias other ones.

Set a folder to List View and you can see a collapsable tree of all your folders. And UNLIKE WINDOWS, you can calculate the size of folders contents. Something I can't live without and Windows STILL does not do in 30 years.

Also, turn on the TOOLBAR (Command+Option+T) if you want to have one window with all folders opening inside it.

Fuck Windows. Let it go. Everyone has an adjustment period. OS X is so much better.

Thanks for all the tips man. Yeah I was having serious withdrawal for a bit. I'll have to work on adjusting to it. But after I looked up the hot keys it got a bit better, or rather it felt more familiar. I'm probably gonna spend the weekend watching some youtube tutorials on OSX just to familiarize myself.

iLLmAtlc

I just don't want them to bunch up. ALL of Apples cables bunch up. It's like the rubber coating expands and bunches up until it splits. Every single one does it eventually.

Know what Apple cable I have that hasn't done it yet or shown signs of it happening eventually? My 2003 iPod 3G cable with the PROPER cable stress reducer on it.

I took this a while ago:

Left you see my cable from 2003. Middle the one from my 2010 iPod Touch. Right, at the time my iPad mini cable with signs of bunching. (It is now completely shredded and broken due to stress and the lack of stress reducing rubber.) If they hadn't switched to Lightning, I'd still be using my 2003 cable.

I assume the 2003 cable is the one with the glossy finish? That thing is horse

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I assume the 2003 cable is the one with the glossy finish? That thing is horse
Yeah, those old ones were the ones that snapped into the device before they got rid of the snapping altogether.

The stress reducers were invented for a reason. Everyone uses them. They keep the wire from breaking at the ends. And Apple stopped using them for appearance reasons. Something tells me it was a Jobs decision. I really wish Apple 3.0 would start using them again. I'm pretty tempted to take a new photo and email it to Tim Cook himself. I know he said he "reads all his emails" and I want to believe that. But I dunno.

Top Bottom