• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

asdad123

Just a FYI to any other would be water damagers out there:

It seems as if straight water damage is covered by Apple as an out of warranty replacement (currently $269 for 5/5S), as long as the device is in otherwise undamaged condition.

Pretty great customer service if you ask me. I'm pretty sure I'd be SOL if I submerged my Nexus 5.

Nah. You'd just pay $349 for an out of warranty replacement. It'd come with a other charger and box too!

ok so the left fan doesnt seem to be working. and he says that when apple support told him to restart and it started working again but only for a moment. it idles on 55. so i decided i am not gonna take the risk and just take to apple store to get it checked out.

Don't the new 13 inch retinas only have one fan? If I recall correctly, only the first gen 13 retina had two fans.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
These new iMacs eh?

Not like this Apple, not like this :(

I expect the big updates to come in the fall. I guess they perceived there was an opportunity to increased market share in the lower end.
That's probably exactly what they're for. But still the price is too close to the quad-core versions to be worth it. If they were $900 they'd be perfect. Even if they drop the HDD to 250GB. But at $1100 when you can get a much better machine for $200 more is silly. At $900 or so they'd be perfect for schools (That don't already just use laptops for students) or grandparents. Surely they could drop $200 from their margins. But they won't. Real updates will come later. This isn't the iMac update everyone is waiting for. This is just the equivalent to adding the 17" iMac G4 back in 2002 without touching the other 15" models. It's just a new model, not a line update.

Wait for fall. I bet there's a lot going to be happening in the fall.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well Apple does need room to offer Education and other discounts.
I guess that's true too. What would this model come to for an educational institute? Or a student using it for college? Fake Edit: Ah, only $50 off. That's nothing.

The "cheap" iMac should have had a 128GB SSD and been £100 cheaper.
It's an interesting thing that the Mac Pro has already moved onto all-Flash storage. The only HDD Macs left are the Mac mini and iMac. (Don't count the stagnant and dead and never getting updated ever again MacBook Pro with optical drive) I suspect at some point both will become all-Flash too. When is the real question. I know people would fight it. And they've tried to compromise by implementing the Fusion Drive, which works fine and dandy. Still, all-Flash across the board would be a bold move once the leftovers are gone like that MBP model they only keep around for price until they can get Retina down to the same level.

The Mac mini is what we're all waiting for. It'd be the perfect candidate for a radical all-Flash redesign. They could make it so much smaller. Save a bit of money by making it all integrated (Sorry all you "But I want to upgrade my RAM at least!" people, but it'll happen one day.) and hopefully keep the same price point. (I miss the original $500 price. But at least it's not $700 anymore. For now.) The case would be made even smaller. (It's only the width it is now because of the optical drive it used to have. They could get it down even smaller and thinner with an all-Flash design.) I guess I just want it to come out because I want to see what they can do with it.

And also because I looked up the benchmark scores for my 2010 model mini the other day and realized that it's like 5-10 times slower than the 2012 model. And maybe less than half the speed of the model I could have gotten if I waited a few months. (Seriously, it took forever for the mini to get updated in 2011. I couldn't wait anymore.) So Apple, I have my wallet ready for a new Mac mini model whenever you feel like updating. Thanks. Especially since the current model is from 2012.

Let's speculate on what a 2014 Mac mini could be:
  • All-Flash design with 128GB baseline would be enough for me
  • 8GB RAM standard with option for 16GB (Though they'll probably cheapen out and do the whole 4GB/8GB thing)
  • Dual-core i5 and i7 options like the current MacBook Air with maybe a possibly Quad-core option for the Server model if they keep it)
  • HD 5100 with an option for 5200 maybe? (Iris and Iris Pro)
  • I assume the HDMI port could be dropped in favor of two Thunderbolt 2 ports, but include the adapter like they did with the 2010 model
  • At least 4 USB 3 ports (I'd rather have 8 but that's just me and I don't want a hub for my 7 external HDDs)
  • Drop the FireWire port as ThunderBolt could replace it with a simple adapter (Though I guess the same could be said of USB 3?)
  • SDXC slot of course not that I ever use it
  • Also drop Ethernet since, like FireWire above, it could be replicated with TB if needed and can save space
  • Radical new thinner sleeker smaller design thanks to its all-Flash innards. Maybe it could be circular? You know, just for the hell of it? But I digress...
I mean, let's face it, the Mac mini is consumer. They can drop a lot of parts they don't need and make the ones they do even better. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had it being worked on right now. (I mean unless they're killing the machine SOMETHING is coming and hopefully soon as in this year sometime.)

EmiPrime

[*]I assume the HDMI port could be dropped in favor of two Thunderbolt 2 ports, but include the adapter like they did with the 2010 model
[*]Also drop Ethernet since, like FireWire above, it could be replicated with TB if needed and can save space

I don't think that will happen.

A lot of the space inside the Mini is taken up by the heat sink, fan and PSU. Unless they go for one of those forthcoming fan-less Intel chips and an external brick I don't see them making a tiny form factor Mini.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't think that will happen.

A lot of the space inside the Mini is taken up by the heat sink, fan and PSU. Unless they go for one of those forthcoming fan-less Intel chips and an external brick I don't see them making a tiny form factor Mini.
We said that before the MacBook Air came out too. Apple can do things. Tiny fan, figure out better cooling. I have trust in Apple. Something is coming. Even if it's only slightly smaller.

At this point I don't care what it looks like. I just want a new model at the same price point or lower to replace my 2010 model with. That thing is super slow. What they release will determine whether I spend $600 for a new mini or just try and buy an SSD to keep the one I have going without the horrible slowness of everything.

Deku Tree

Yeah I was hoping for a Mac mini Refresh with good specs. It would be nice to have a Mac mini that has specs which are close to the top spec'd 27" iMac. I was hoping to get a Mac mini plus an external monitor for my next office desktop.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I was hoping for a Mac mini Refresh with good specs. It would be nice to have a Mac mini that has specs which are close to the top spec'd 27" iMac. I was hoping to get a Mac mini plus an external monitor for my next office desktop.
I still have a 20" ACD from 2005.

The pixels are soooo huge. But I don't really need to replace it. If I was gonna get a new display to connect to a new Mac mini that I was using for a server, I'd probably just buy an iMac. I mean, a Mac mini with TB display is almost $1600. A nice base iMac is just $1300 and has quad-core. So we need to wait to see what the new Mac mini brings because right now the iMac is a much better deal.

I wouldn't mind having an iMac as a secondary machine to be a server and compliment my MBP if I could place my entire user folder's document content in my iCloud and sync it to both machines and HandOff worked between two Macs as well as iOS devices.

Deku Tree

I'm just tired of having a built in Monitor.

And yes I gave away my 23" ACD from approx 2004 just last year. (I hadn't used it in a while though.) LCD backlighting on the new monitors, and IPS technology, really makes those old display's look terrible when lined up next to a new one.

I want monitor freedom. I don't want to have to buy an all-in-one. I do expect the monitor to have a much longer life than the computer. But for a non-PRO desktop, Apple currently only gives you the option of a Mac Mini from 2012.

Granted my close to top spec'd Late 2009 iMac still runs like a champ other than the slow non-SSD boot up which is sort of inconsequential anyway.

Fuchsdh

I mean, let's face it, the Mac mini is consumer. They can drop a lot of parts they don't need and make the ones they do even better. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had it being worked on right now. (I mean unless they're killing the machine SOMETHING is coming and hopefully soon as in this year sometime.)

I'd argue with that assertion. The Mac mini's focus on release was clear—a cheaper Mac for people who were switchers. But now? The most common time I hear about minis it's people racking them up in servers (hell Apple sells the server config right out in the open next to its other SKUs) or using them as portable devices for live and studio production.

Shrinking down the device and removing the ability to put in SSDs in my opinion kills a large portion of its usefulness (unless they replace them with dual socketed PCIe flash sticks a la the Mac Pro so you'll be able to buy them off OWC or something) but still you're killing some of its use for servers with terabytes of data.

Maybe the mini could be shrunk slightly without impacting its RAM and HDD accessibility (speaking of which, remember with the original minis how you had to pry it apart with spudgers to get at the RAM?) but I think its form factor works. Just keep updating its internals and maybe get a $500 SKU and I'm certainly happy.

(As for the ports, I think they're perfect. Just swap the FW800 with a second Thunderbolt port and we're done.)

I'm just tired of having a built in Monitor.

And yes I gave away my 23" ACD from approx 2004 just last year.

I'm still rocking a RevA aluminum 20" from 2004 as my secondary monitor at home and a RevB 2005 20" and 23" at work. It has occasional image persistence, isn't 1080p and has that massive brick to go with it, but it still performs well so I'll probably keep using with adapters when I get my new computer early next year. My issues with IPS displays are the input and latency issues, so I'll take a color-accurate TN any day.

Deku Tree

Yeah monitors can last forever. The newer ones look so much brighter though. It's fine if your just using an old one, or your just using a new one. But if you put them side by side the brightness difference is too much to bear.

Chris R

The "cheap" iMac should have had a 128GB SSD and been £100 cheaper.

I agree the machine should be cheaper. It should also have user replaceable RAM. Not saying swapping RAM should be easy or anything, just that it should be possible just in case the RAM dies. But I guess Apple is trying to move away from repair and more towards "Just replace" :|

I'd love to see a quad core mini with Iris Pro (or even a dedicated GPU) but Apple doesn't care about Mini users

Tamanon

Banned
So I'm probably swapping over to a Macbook Pro after a long time using Windows stuff this coming semester. I think I'll be waiting for any hardware revisions, which I see referenced as Fall all the time. Is there any general month they usually do the Fall updates in? Since that might lower the price of older stuff, or even present a good enough offering for new equipment.

2Crisis

So I'm probably swapping over to a Macbook Pro after a long time using Windows stuff this coming semester. I think I'll be waiting for any hardware revisions, which I see referenced as Fall all the time. Is there any general month they usually do the Fall updates in? Since that might lower the price of older stuff, or even present a good enough offering for new equipment.

Always check http://buyersguide.macrumors.com for stuff like this. They keep it well updated.

They say to not buy a regular MBP right now

Deku Tree

Sept-October. Possibly not until late October.

EmiPrime

We said that before the MacBook Air came out too. Apple can do things. Tiny fan, figure out better cooling. I have trust in Apple. Something is coming. Even if it's only slightly smaller.

Slightly smaller sure I agree, just not massively so and other than FW800 I expect all the ports to stay.

Blackhead

Redarse
An issue in Mavericks with com.apple.IconServicesAgent
Recently I started having an intermittent problem with a process called com.apple.IconServicesAgent on my Mac. Google tells me that I am not alone, but diagnosing the issue and solving it has proven quite annoying. The symptoms are straightforward. You’re working away and then you notice that this process is consuming an awful lot of RAM and as much processor time as it can. As best I can tell the Agent is responsible for managing the display of icons and icon previews, and the problem may be triggered by opening a Finder window containing icons that haven’t been rendered in a while.

This bug is a recurring event on my Mac. The 100% CPU usage doesn't piss me off as much as noisy fans it sets off that won't pip down long after I've killed the process. Oh how I wish for a fullfeatured fanless computer; what's taking so long Apple :(

Fuchsdh

An issue in Mavericks with com.apple.IconServicesAgent

This bug is a recurring event on my Mac. The 100% CPU usage doesn't piss me off as much as noisy fans it sets off that won't pip down long after I've killed the process. Oh how I wish for a fullfeatured fanless computer; what's taking so long Apple :(

There's a certain utility in having fans that can rev up to heavily noticeable levels when something's outta' whack though :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You would think it would be designed to automatically create the folder if it happens to not exist. I mean that's how all caches work. You can delete them with no problem. The app will just recreate the folder next time it needs to write. Seems strange it won't create it by itself in this case. In fact, I've deleted those very cache folders myself* and it always put them back.

*There are two folders that appear in /private/var/folders/ that contain caches for the system. Deleting them doesn't hurt the system, but it does force it to recreate a lot of stuff again which can be annoying for a while. So there's no reason to do it unless you have to.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I came home yesterday evening to discover that my late-2006 model iMac was turned off. And wouldn't turn on. So I need a new Mac soon.

I don't know if I can wait 2-3 months (I probably could), but in the meantime, I was looking at getting a refurbished late-2012 Mac mini from the Apple Store but it comes with OS X Server. Is that shit gonna be obnoxious and intrusive? If I were 10 years younger, I'd take the time to actually properly use it as a full home server, but ain't nobody got time for that no more.

kennah

I came home yesterday evening to discover that my late-2006 model iMac was turned off. And wouldn't turn on. So I need a new Mac soon.

I don't know if I can wait 2-3 months (I probably could), but in the meantime, I was looking at getting a refurbished late-2012 Mac mini from the Apple Store but it comes with OS X Server. Is that shit gonna be obnoxious and intrusive? If I were 10 years younger, I'd take the time to actually properly use it as a full home server, but ain't nobody got time for that no more.
You could just uninstall the server portion. Totally unobtrusive.

bionic77

My Mini from 2008 is starting to feel way too slow. I am also undecided about when to upgrade and what to upgrade with. I would prefer to get a Mini with a nice display that I could plug other stuff into. But at the same time if you are not going to plug any consoles or anything else into the monitor the iMac seems like a better value for what you get.

Deku Tree

My Mini from 2008 is starting to feel way too slow. I am also undecided about when to upgrade and what to upgrade with. I would prefer to get a Mini with a nice display that I could plug other stuff into. But at the same time if you are not going to plug any consoles or anything else into the monitor the iMac seems like a better value for what you get.

Yeah but when the last Mac Mini came out in late 2012 the top specs were fairly close to the top spec iMac at the time and pairing the Mini with a Dell u2713hm cost about the same as the iMac. It's just that they have been neglecting the mini lately. I keep hoping it means that they have something cool in the works. But who knows...

giga

Not mac hardware really, but whoever doesn't want to pay $18 or so for the official lightning usb cable should check out the Anker one for just $10: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K4VQZCM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51WPzrRj7HL._SL1500_.jpg

It's not oversized and ugly like the AmazonBasics one. And it has an 18-month warranty direct from Anker. Their USB chargers are pretty good too.

Yeah but when the last Mac Mini came out in late 2012 the top specs were fairly close to the top spec iMac at the time and pairing the Mini with a Dell u2713hm cost about the same as the iMac. It's just that they have been neglecting the mini lately. I keep hoping it means that they have something cool in the works. But who knows...

Intel has some really cool demo mini-PCs that they sent my company, sporting Core i7's, that are no bigger in footprint than an AirPort Extreme (and obviously only a couple of inches tall).

With Haswell, and especially soon with Broadwell, there's room out there for a barely bigger than an AppleTV desktop computer from Apple.

Mr. F

Banned
Always check http://buyersguide.macrumors.com for stuff like this. They keep it well updated.

They say to not buy a regular MBP right now

I was browsing around online for different models as my 2010 MBP is pretty close to biting the dust, but woof those prices. Worried about picking up a newer model as I can't shell out to upgrade it enough to make it as future-proof as I would like. I guess waiting and seeing isn't bad, at least maybe the refresh will drive the refurb prices of older models down a bit.

Although for my purposes (design work and Cinema 4D) maybe I'm better off forgoing Macs altogether and switching back to PC. :(

EmiPrime

My mum's 4-5 year old Macbook is running a lot worse than it used to. I did the cmd+r thing on boot to do a repair of the disk (which it needed) and fix the permissions and I have run Onyx's full set of maintenance scripts but it's still very laggy. Might the HDD be on the way out? I can't see any processes running that are gobbling up memory nor using the CPU heavily. It's on 10.9.

Deku Tree

My mum's 4-5 year old Macbook is running a lot worse than it used to. I did the cmd+r thing on boot to do a repair of the disk (which it needed) and fix the permissions and I have run Onyx's full set of maintenance scripts but it's still very laggy. Might the HDD be on the way out? I can't see any processes running that are gobbling up memory nor using the CPU heavily. It's on 10.9.

Possibly. A slow HDD is a tell take sign of a HDD that is on the way out. You could directly check it's read and write speeds with BlackMagic.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Good idea.

22MB/sec write 25MB/sec read

That doesn't sound good...
Do your mom a favor and buy her a nice SSD. Make sure it's big enough for whatever she has on her HDD now. It'll breathe some new life into that old machine, providing it's just the HDD that's dying.

25MB read/write is about how much I get when testing a USB2 HDD. It's painfully slow just to copy to and from. And don't even try and boot from one. lol

EmiPrime

Do your mom a favor and buy her a nice SSD. Make sure it's big enough for whatever she has on her HDD now. It'll breathe some new life into that old machine, providing it's just the HDD that's dying.

25MB read/write is about how much I get when testing a USB2 HDD. It's painfully slow just to copy to and from. And don't even try and boot from one. lol

I got her a 240GB SSD and 8GB of RAM to replace the 2GB currently in. Also ordered a replacement rubber bottom from Apple.

It should feel like a new machine by the time I am done. :)

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah that's what I would do. Let us know how it goes.

Took it in and they confirmed it's an HDD failure. Gonna pay them to install an SSD

Considering going from 12gb RAM to 16gb RAM as well. Photoshop tends to struggle with large documents, I'm wondering if that would give a noticeable boost.

Anything upwards of around 15x15" at 300ppi and 10 or so layers and it starts to noticeably chug. CS6.

Could be RAM, could be scratch disk speed. There's a status at the lower left of each window telling you how much RAM and scratch you're using. As scratch goes up, the more and more the disk speed matters.

Anyway, more RAM won't hurt, but depending on where your bottleneck is your SSD swap alone is probably a bigger win.

Number45

Does anyone have any experience of using the magic mouse with Photoshop? Reviews suggest that the gestures can cause problems, but that it can be tweaked to hell and back with Better Touch Tool so it's not a problem (plan on buying the trackpad as well, so gestures aren't a problem).

I'd like to buy it for aesthetic purposes, but if it'll hamper me completely I'll look for alternatives.

Deku Tree

Does anyone have any experience of using the magic mouse with Photoshop? Reviews suggest that the gestures can cause problems, but that it can be tweaked to hell and back with Better Touch Tool so it's not a problem (plan on buying the trackpad as well, so gestures aren't a problem).

I'd like to buy it for aesthetic purposes, but if it'll hamper me completely I'll look for alternatives.

Magic Trackpad >>>> all mice.

kennah

Been loving my trackpad in Creative Suite. Haven't really really tried the Magic Mouse but it doesn't screw me up at all when I do use that computer.

Just bought a late 2013 rmbp. This'll be my very first experience with a Mac so I'm very excited but also nervous. I've avoided macs pretty much my entire life and like many other PC users, pretty much had a negative impression of them (expensive, inflexible, expensive proprietary parts etc.)

I guess using iPhones and iPads over the years has changed my tune on Apple, as those are generally excellent products. I'm worried about obsolescence with the rmbp tho. Especially since the config is basically fixed, and practically nonupgradable. How much usage can I expect out of the late 2013 model before things just slow down to a halt or it's no longer supported? 5 years?

Top Bottom