• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

So my sister and I purchased mid 2012 MacBook Pro's from this company in Utah that operates as an Apple re-seller. The MBP that I purchased was a refurbished base model 15", and the one that she purchased was a new-in-box 2.6ghz 15".
I ended up sending mine back for a refund because they sent me one that had significant scratches and dents. My sister's seemed fine because it was "new" and had not been opened or used before.

Well she contacted Apple in order to look into the warranty and AppleCare for it and found out that the warranty had been activated last year in June, (I'm assuming when this company received it originally), and ran out this past June. This also would mean that she was outside the 1-year window allowed for purchasing AppleCare.

Has anyone else dealt with a re-seller of Apple products and experienced this situation? Is it normal for the re-sellers to activate the warranty period when they receive the product to re-sell?

She is trying to contact Apple to ask them, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience as well.

If they are an official Apple reseller that shouldn't happen. If they are just some small company that buys from Apple and then unofficially re-sells those computers to end users like you then I guess that is how it would work. Either way I would complain...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The warranty is active from when a consumer buys it, not when the vendor buys it from Apple.

That makes this interesting. Thanks.
We will have to get in touch with Apple and the company we purchased from to talk about this.
If they are an official Apple reseller that shouldn't happen. If they are just some small company that buys from Apple and then unofficially re-sells those computers to end users like you then I guess that is how it would work. Either way I would complain...

Thanks. Complaints will be had.

-------

Anyone interested in avoiding this situation, this is the company that we are dealing with. Expercom
Their "About Us" page claims that they are an Authorized Reseller.

Deku Tree

Put in an SSD and you'll feel a difference. Hell, my crappy 2006 iMac with a 2.16 GHz C2D and maxed out at 3 GB RAM almost feels like a new computer, but I can't run anything past Lion.

Yeah I don't really mind the semi slow boot up. I'm not sitting around waiting for it anyway. I'd rather stop the upgrades at this point and instead get something new when it feels like the right time. I am also personally averse to opening up a Mac and doing under the hood surgery on it.

Granadier

Update:

Contacted the company. They said that the "purchase date is a place holder that Apple puts in for one month after they receive it to allow for sale", and if we registered it the purchase date would be updated to the correct information. After that the warranty would be reinstated.

Well I went to register.apple.com like he said, and the page is no longer used. Apple mentions that products are registered automatically now. The product information still says the warranty is expired, but the company said they could register it directly with Apple to fix that. "It will be updated within 72 hours." Not sure if that is legit or just another hoop they are leading us through.

Product page based on Serial Number
FSsFnPw.png

Apple will be receiving a complaint against this company.

Deku Tree

That makes this interesting. Thanks.

Anyone interested in avoiding this situation, this is the company that we are dealing with. Expercom
Their "About Us" page claims that they are an Authorized Reseller.

Yeah. I would imagine that if you can produce a purchase receipt then Apple would honor the one year warranty from your purchase date. (And once they do that take the opportunity to buy Apple Care for the next two years IMO.)

If Apple has the wrong purchase date in their computers they should be very willing to fix that...

TUSR

Banned
Update:

Contacted the company. They said that the "purchase date is a place holder that Apple puts in for one month after they receive it to allow for sale", and if we registered it the purchase date would be updated to the correct information. After that the warranty would be reinstated.

Well I went to register.apple.com like he said, and the page is no longer used. Apple mentions that products are registered automatically now. The product information still says the warranty is expired, but the company said they could register it directly with Apple to fix that. "It will be updated within 72 hours."

At least you seem to be getting some sort of resolution with this company, all they have to do is inform Apple of when the device was purchased by the customer. Seems like something slipped through the cracks at the re-sellers end.

Update us when the warranty goes through.

Deku Tree

Update:

Well I went to register.apple.com like he said, and the page is no longer used. Apple mentions that products are registered automatically now. The product information still says the warranty is expired, but the company said they could register it directly with Apple to fix that. "It will be updated within 72 hours."

Yeah the first time you started up your computer it should have taken you through a registration process which would have linked your Apple ID etc to the computer I think. Good luck. I'm sure Apple will fix it. I would stop dealing with the company directly and just call Apple support.

EDIT: it sounds like the people talking to you from this reseller are misinformed about lots of stuff.

Granadier

Update 2:

I chatted and called Apple directly and they resolved the warranty issue. It shows the proper purchase date now and the warranty was reinstated. (So much for the "72 hours" Expercom said it would take)

Still waiting on the refund for the MacBook that I sent back, so I'm going to wait on the complaint/review until that clusterfuck is resolved. The last thing I want is them attempting to shaft me on the refund.

Water

Maybe I'll just go balls to the wall with the iMac and get the 780m option...

You never explained what you want the machine for.

The top iMac has absurdly poor price/performance for a desktop computer, so the situations where I think it would be a good buy are rather limited. The laptop 780M is close to a desktop 760 at stock speed, so the iMac only has about $200 worth of GPU performance in it. You can build a PC for about $800 to match the top iMac's CPU and graphics performance; spending $1000-ish is enough to run circles around the iMac.

Another thing to note is that the iMac line will probably get a spec bump and/or a price drop within two months, so if you are going to buy one, now is a bad time.

Battery cycle count is 270 on my macbook air mid 2012 that I bought a year ago.

I get maybe 2 hours out of it....

must be something wrong right?

Ryck

Hey guys I have an older 2007-ish Mac Mini (core2duo 2.0 ghz with Intel gma 950 video). I use it mostly to stream stuff and watch videos in my bedroom. Well recently I have an issue where the screen will flash black a few times.

There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason to it, it is sporadic but I am wondering if maybe this is my Mini starting to say goodbye? I was thinking of dropping an ssd into it to give it a second wind but with the issues starting to show I am now having second thoughts.

I opened it up recently and blew all the dust with a can of compressed air with the hopes that maybe it was just a build up of dust. Sadly it continues to do it. Any thoughts?
Quoted myself for the new page, I have searched and searched and can't find anything.

Draper

You never explained what you want the machine for.

The top iMac has absurdly poor price/performance for a desktop computer, so the situations where I think it would be a good buy are rather limited. The laptop 780M is close to a desktop 760 at stock speed, so the iMac only has about $200 worth of GPU performance in it. You can build a PC for about $800 to match the top iMac's CPU and graphics performance; spending $1000-ish is enough to run circles around the iMac.

Another thing to note is that the iMac line will probably get a spec bump and/or a price drop within two months, so if you are going to buy one, now is a bad time.

Honestly, nothing justifying the pricey upgrades. Word docs, Photoshop, movies, media server, gaming, illustrator, web browsing. I just want a quality all in one desktop. And OS X is great.

fireside

Honestly, nothing justifying the pricey upgrades. Word docs, Photoshop, movies, media server, gaming, illustrator, web browsing. I just want a quality all in one desktop. And OS X is great.

i bought the best imac i could afford because i know i'll be keeping it for 4+ years, and a lot can change in the computing world in 4+ years. i'm happy with my choice. maybe it wasn't the wisest, maybe it wasn't the most cost efficient, but who cares about cost efficiency??? i use this computer every single day. and it's amazing. i wouldn't trade it for a pc that cost half the price and "ran circles" around it any day of the week. cost efficiency isn't going to make me happy. cost efficiency isn't going to give me a beautiful computer. cost efficiency isn't going to give me a computer that i find enjoyable to use. a computer is more than its bill of materials.

is an imac going to make you happy?

Draper

i bought the best imac i could afford because i know i'll be keeping it for 4+ years, and a lot can change in the computing world in 4+ years. i'm happy with my choice. maybe it wasn't the wisest, maybe it wasn't the most cost efficient, but who cares about cost efficiency??? i use this computer every single day. and it's amazing. i wouldn't trade it for a pc that cost half the price and "ran circles" around it any day of the week. cost efficiency isn't going to make me happy. cost efficiency isn't going to give me a beautiful computer. cost efficiency isn't going to give me a computer that i find enjoyable to use. a computer is more than its bill of materials.

is an imac going to make you happy?

As happy as a tangible item can make me. But the price...even if I have disposable income, I always feel guilty purchasing myself something that's very expensive. I don't know. What specs did you go with?

fireside

As happy as a tangible item can make me. But the price...even if I have disposable income, I always feel guilty purchasing myself something that's very expensive. I don't know. What specs did you go with?

late 2012 27-inch with the 3.2 GHz i5, the 680MX, and the fusion drive

and the magic mouse *gasp* *horror*

Deku Tree

Thanks I will give this a shot.

Yeah. I have a 2012 rMBP connected to a Dell u2711hm Monitor and when I first got it the Dell would flicker black sporadically. Apple recommended that I reset the SMC and zap the PRAM. They said the problem was almost certainly a power supply issue. And they said those two procedures would help and or fix it. They also said I might need to follow both of those procedures a few times, that once might not be enough.

That procedure made it better but still didn't completely fix it for me, but for some reason possibly with a software update my Dell monitor stopped flickering black. It hasn't happened in 1.5 years.

If those two procedures don't work for you it might just mean that if it doesn't bother you that much then You can live with it until you upgrade. Or otherwise you can try to catch it on video and or take your computer in for service.

Deku Tree

Yeah buy a Mac, you'll love it. So many great features. OSX is the best, and it works so well with iOS, and it's incredibly beautiful, thoughtful and intuitive. You won't regret buying a Mac IMO.

Fuchsdh

Is it true I can take an old Mac to the Apple store and sell it for store credit?

Have anyone done this?

Not personally, although depending on the computer you'll get far more selling it on Craigslist or eBay. On the other hand with Apple it's far more likely to get responsibly disposed of at EOL.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So instead of upgrading the OS on my Air, I ordered a new MBPr 13" 2.8Ghz, 512GB HDD with 16GBs of RAM :)

Should be a nice upgrade to my late 2010 13" Air with 4GB of RAM and 256GB HDD.

keezy

Last year before school started there was a huge sale on macbooks. Any chance that will happen again? If they have another sale like that I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a new laptop for work.

Granadier

Last year before school started there was a huge sale on macbooks. Any chance that will happen again? If they have another sale like that I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a new laptop for work.

They always have educational discounts.

Right now it's $200 off along with a $100 gift card I believe.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I tried removing it completely, but browsing was painfully slow because (I assume) virtually every site does a check for its existence before loading the rest of the content.
I tried going without it too but so many sites still require it, even for things that aren't video related. I just couldn't do it. And it sucks. One day we'll be Flash-free. Until then the best I can do is limit its use whenever possible.

jesalr

New MBPr arrived today. It's the base 750m model (2.5GHz, 512GB, 16GB RAM). Seems great, but still has a tiny bit of that scroll lag the 2012 had in Chrome. Seems to only be on really intense sites like the verge, and I do have the res set to 1200, but still..

GWX

New MBPr arrived today. It's the base 750m model (2.5GHz, 512GB, 16GB RAM). Seems great, but still has a tiny bit of that scroll lag the 2012 had in Chrome. Seems to only be on really intense sites like the verge, and I do have the res set to 1200, but still..

It should be perfectly smooth in Safari, for what's worth.

Deku Tree

I have a 2012 15" rMPB with the upgraded processor which I plug into a 1440p monitor and I experience no scroll lag ever that I notice anyways.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
That's one way to do it. Hah

No doubt.

Thanks, very excited. :)

I've done it. Check here.

https://www.apple.com/recycling/

Depends on the age and quality of your computer. I have a 2008 MBP that has no value, but apple will still properly recycle it for free.

And thanks for this, didn't know about that. Filled out the form and got an estimate of $300, very nioe. They give straight cash, which is good, but I might use it to upgrade my Airport Express to a 2TB Airport Time Capsule.

Deku Tree

Thanks, very excited. :)

And thanks for this, didn't know about that. Filled out the form and got an estimate of $300, very nioe. They give straight cash, which is good, but I might use it to upgrade my Airport Express to a 2TB Airport Time Capsule.

I ended up getting slightly less than their estimate because they said my 27" screen only reached 60% brightness and they send me a picture. But I took it.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I ended up getting slightly less than their estimate because they said my 27" screen only reached 60% brightness and they send me a picture. But I took it.

Yeah, I expect it to be a bit less, but anything is good really. I expected it to gather dust in a box in the attic.

Fuchsdh

Apple computers certainly hold their investment--I could sell my upgraded 2008 3,1 Mac Pro for probably $1,200 easy, although I honestly don't know if I want to. Rather keep around some hardware that can run 10.6 for legacy reasons. I'll just stick it in storage when I get my new Mac.

Fuchsdh

Oh I was initially going to wait for the next gen nMP. I never buy the first model of a new redesign.

More I think about it though, the more I'm unsure. The computer still performs very well for the games I play on it (DotA, Minecraft, StarCraft II, RealMyst) and while some tasks are painful in After Effects now it's not unworkable for 1080p work. I'm not doing 4K any time soon. I've got a 2011 Mac mini I purchased exclusively for the Thunderbolt port so I can convert all the old VHSes I've got, and that's my main use case of it for now. USB3 would be nice, but it's not really essentially.

So I might sit out this rev too, and upgrade in late 2015 or 2016 when the 8,1's presumably arrive. I think my computer will suit me well until then.

(Plus 4K displays might become reasonably priced by then too. Having something like the Dell UP2414Q but for $500 instead of $1000 would be awesome. Might have to swap out the 20" ACD I've been rocking since 2004 for that.)

Deku Tree

Oh I was initially going to wait for the next gen nMP. I never buy the first model of a new redesign.

More I think about it though, the more I'm unsure. The computer still performs very well for the games I play on it (DotA, Minecraft, StarCraft II, RealMyst) and while some tasks are painful in After Effects now it's not unworkable for 1080p work. I'm not doing 4K any time soon. I've got a 2011 Mac mini I purchased exclusively for the Thunderbolt port so I can convert all the old VHSes I've got, and that's my main use case of it for now. USB3 would be nice, but it's not really essentially.

So I might sit out this rev too, and upgrade in late 2015 or 2016 when the 8,1's presumably arrive. I think my computer will suit me well until then.

(Plus 4K displays might become reasonably priced by then too. Having something like the Dell UP2414Q but for $500 instead of $1000 would be awesome. Might have to swap out the 20" ACD I've been rocking since 2004 for that.)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12156&seq=1&format=2

I have never seen a 4K display in person, but I keep wondering how much better it will really look than a 1440p monitor for normal usage? I have a hard time seeing the difference between my Dell u2713hm and my 15" Retina display on my rMBP sitting right next to each other...

Fuchsdh

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12156&seq=1&format=2

I have never seen a 4K display in person, but I keep wondering how much better it will really look than a 1440p monitor for normal usage? I have a hard time seeing the difference between my Dell u2713hm and my 15" Retina display on my rMBP sitting right next to each other...

I don't think the biggest advantage is retina. They're there for the people who need a lot of pixels on screen, not just sharper looking elements.

Top Bottom