• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Ninja Dom

A friend of mine is selling a MacBook Air, Late 2010 13" model for £350. Perfect condition.

Is it good value?

1.86GHz Core 2 Duo, 128GB Flash storage, 2GB Ram, GeForce 320M

EmiPrime

A friend of mine is selling a MacBook Air, Late 2010 13" model for £350. Perfect condition.

Is it good value?

Unless you want it just for word processing, no. The RAM is the deal breaker (modern web browsers and OS X gobble it up fast).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The RAM really is a deal breaker. I'd almost not even go with 4GB, but 2GB is going to make that machine a word processor only. Maybe light browsing. If that's all you need it for then go ahead. I don't know what that translates to in USD.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Take it apart again and stick the thermal sensor to the SSD.

EDIT: this purports to do what you want: HDD Fan Control EDIT2: as does, this for free: Macs Fan Control. Have no experience with either.

Yeah luckily I still have the sensor. I'll stick it back on if I have another reason to crack open the bezel, but otherwise, I don't want to have to deal with screwing the screen back on.

But I tried Macs Fan Control and it works great. Instead of going full speed, now it's idling at ~3400 rpm.

Is it good value?

I have the 2010 with 4 GB of RAM, and it's total garbage at this point. A single gif will put it on its knees for a few seconds. It was great when it came out.

Ryck

Hey guys I have an older 2007-ish Mac Mini (core2duo 2.0 ghz with Intel gma 950 video). I use it mostly to stream stuff and watch videos in my bedroom. Well recently I have an issue where the screen will flash black a few times.

There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason to it, it is sporadic but I am wondering if maybe this is my Mini starting to say goodbye? I was thinking of dropping an ssd into it to give it a second wind but with the issues starting to show I am now having second thoughts.

I opened it up recently and blew all the dust with a can of compressed air with the hopes that maybe it was just a build up of dust. Sadly it continues to do it. Any thoughts?

Mindwipe

Is it good value?

Mavericks or Snow Leopard?

SL will still run pretty nicely on it. Lion or above will be a dog with 2GB of RAM.

Guri

Hey guys, just to make sure for a friend who has a Macbook and plans to upgrade soon: is there any revision coming up worth waiting for? And yes, he needs a powerful hardware to work with.

Fuchsdh

I have the 2010 with 4 GB of RAM, and it's total garbage at this point. A single gif will put it on its knees for a few seconds. It was great when it came out.

Yeah that might not necessarily be a RAM issue.

Hey guys, just to make sure for a friend who has a Macbook and plans to upgrade soon: is there any revision coming up worth waiting for? And yes, he needs a powerful hardware to work with.

If he's going for a MBP they were just lightly refreshed. Broadwell processors are half a year away at this point.

My 2011with 4gb is absolutely fine. Feels as fast as the day I bought it. Perhaps try and do a fresh OSX reinstall?

Keep in mind that your 2011(and mine) has a Core i5 or a Core i7 ULV processor and not the Core 2 of the 2010; the slowest 2011 has nearly double the Geekbench score of the fastest 2010.

Deku Tree

Yeah the 2011 airs are still fine. All of the core 2 duo ones are starting to get unusable.

I have a 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache in a 2009 iMac with 12 GB ram that still runs extremely well aside from the slow boot up. Granted I'm not doing anything too processor intensive on it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I just received my 15" cMBP and it came with 4gb of RAM. The RAM will be upgraded in this thing before even an SSD. I'm constantly in virtual memory with my RAM maxed.

Mindwipe

Apple have sent me back my Macbook Air that was bricked by the faulty EFI update. They had to replace the entire logic board, wireless card and trackpad.

What the hell was in that update?

Earlier in the thread I spoke towards the 13" Macbook air, but decided to hold off due to the impending refresh. Now that that's occurred, I face a dilemma: continue with the 13"MBA, or go with rMBP. Anyone with experience on both have suggestions, particularly the battery life with usage?

My use for the device primarily remains ones everday web-use & video streaming (netflix/amazon prime/youtube), "regular" program use such as typing up word documents and such, and some occasional "lightweight" games (I have the desktop for the dedicated-card stuff). Before, the MBA battery life looked very tempting, but it's kind of hard to beat the slight price increase for so much performance increase across the board (as well as better screen).

Fuchsdh

Earlier in the thread I spoke towards the 13" Macbook air, but decided to hold off due to the impending refresh. Now that that's occurred, I face a dilemma: continue with the 13"MBA, or go with rMBP. Anyone with experience on both have suggestions, particularly the battery life with usage?

My use for the device primarily remains ones everday web-use & video streaming (netflix/amazon prime/youtube), "regular" program use such as typing up word documents and such, and some occasional "lightweight" games (I have the desktop for the dedicated-card stuff). Before, the MBA battery life looked very tempting, but it's kind of hard to beat the slight price increase for so much performance increase across the board (as well as better screen).

My last notebook was 2008, so the battery life on all the MB lines these days is crazy to me. But all in all unless battery life or extreme portability is your most important criteria the MBPr are all around better machines for a small price bump. Even though I do my heavy lifting on my desktop I still think I will end up getting a MBP over an Air.

My last notebook was 2008, so the battery life on all the MB lines these days is crazy to me. But all in all unless battery life or extreme portability is your most important criteria the MBPr are all around better machines for a small price bump. Even though I do my heavy lifting on my desktop I still think I will end up getting a MBP over an Air.
Thanks, that kind of clenches it for me then, since my current laptop gets an incredible 2hrs top when just streaming netflix/amazon instant. Even an average of 6hrs time will feel incredible at this point.

Fuchsdh

Thanks, that kind of clenches it for me then, since my current laptop gets an incredible 2hrs top when just streaming netflix/amazon instant. Even an average of 6hrs time will feel incredible at this point.

The other big thing is that the batteries these days last longer as well. That '08 MBP only got to 200 full charges before it was expected that your total capacity would start dropping; these days it's at least 80% capacity after 1000 cycles.

Fuchsdh

I may take the plunge and pick up an iMac this weekend. How do the screens compare to others on the market?

They're IPS so they've got good color and viewing angles. They have glossy screens which can be a turn off and limit their use in some instances, although I'm a huge glossy hater and having experienced the new fused glass designs can say that reflections don't bother me any more.

Furyous

Are there are list of battery saving tips?

I stopped running my rMBP at 2K resolution and that obviously helped. However, I'm averaging 3 and half hours at native 1440 x 900 resolution. I need to find a way to get this to five hours without going on standby. The only thing I have running is geek tool, wifi, little snitch monitor, and an automator workflow that I cannot stop from running. Any suggestions to help me improve battery life?

Deku Tree

Are there are list of battery saving tips?

I stopped running my rMBP at 2K resolution and that obviously helped. However, I'm averaging 3 and half hours at native 1440 x 900 resolution. I need to find a way to get this to five hours without going on standby. The only thing I have running is geek tool, wifi, little snitch monitor, and an automator workflow that I cannot stop from running. Any suggestions to help me improve battery life?

The simplest thing to do is lower the brightness. Otherwise keep an eye on the energy impact of your open apps and processes in the activity monitor if you want to get really into it.

Draper

They're IPS so they've got good color and viewing angles. They have glossy screens which can be a turn off and limit their use in some instances, although I'm a huge glossy hater and having experienced the new fused glass designs can say that reflections don't bother me any more.

And what say you regarding the resolution?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Mavericks or Snow Leopard?

SL will still run pretty nicely on it. Lion or above will be a dog with 2GB of RAM.

I have a 2010 13" Air with 4GB of RAM. Is it worth it to upgrade the OS, considering I have never updated. Currently run Version 10.6.8.

Water

I may take the plunge and pick up an iMac this weekend. How do the screens compare to others on the market?

Like Fuchsdh said, excellent color (but 95% of people don't need that kind of accuracy at all... I sure don't) and viewing angles. On the other hand, black level, contrast and motion handling are all mediocre as expected from IPS. These are far from optimal displays for gaming or movie viewing, for instance. The display on the 27" is good for desktop work. The 1080p res on the 21" is less than I want on a working display.

The glossy surface on both means you must seriously control the lighting behind you. The experience is bad if the display faces a bright window or any kind of direct light. This is particularly important when viewing any kind of dark content, so that's another reason to choose something else for games and video.

I have a 2010 13" Air with 4GB of RAM. Is it worth it to upgrade the OS, considering I have never updated. Currently run Version 10.6.8.

If you have an external drive you can clone your system onto, you have nothing to lose but your time in trying it out. I have a 2010 Mac Mini running 10.9 and it's great, but my CPU is faster and I have more RAM.

Draper

Like Fuchsdh said, excellent color (but 95% of people don't need that kind of accuracy at all... I sure don't) and viewing angles. On the other hand, black level, contrast and motion handling are all mediocre as expected from IPS. These are far from optimal displays for gaming or movie viewing, for instance. The display on the 27" is good for desktop work. The 1080p res on the 21" is less than I want on a working display.

The glossy surface on both means you must seriously control the lighting behind you. The experience is bad if the display faces a bright window or any kind of direct light. This is particularly important when viewing any kind of dark content, so that's another reason to choose something else for games and video.

Ha, damn, your words are making me reluctant now.

EmiPrime

I think mine looks gorgeous, 1080p Ghibli films look especially great. Everyone who has seen mine has commented on how good the screen is. It's glossy but it's not very reflective at all.

fireside

the 27" is great. i'm not sure i could ever get used to anything smaller.

plus i think it looks better aesthetically. the proportions on the 21" look bad to me.

Chris R

Kinda glad there isn't a quad core option available on the 13" rMBP, because with my computer shitting the bed this past weekend I'd probably own one by now as an impulse buy. Can't impulse buy $2k though.

jesalr

Thank god. Apple have offered me a new machine.

2012 retina being upped to a new one. 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz. 650M to 750M. 256GB to 512GB. And more than anything, hopefully no more issues with the new one.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I have a 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache in a 2009 iMac with 12 GB ram that still runs extremely well aside from the slow boot up. Granted I'm not doing anything too processor intensive on it.

Put in an SSD and you'll feel a difference. Hell, my crappy 2006 iMac with a 2.16 GHz C2D and maxed out at 3 GB RAM almost feels like a new computer, but I can't run anything past Lion.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So my sister and I purchased mid 2012 MacBook Pro's from this company in Utah that operates as an Apple re-seller. The MBP that I purchased was a refurbished base model 15", and the one that she purchased was a new-in-box 2.6ghz 15".
I ended up sending mine back for a refund because they sent me one that had significant scratches and dents. My sister's seemed fine because it was "new" and had not been opened or used before.

Well she contacted Apple in order to look into the warranty and AppleCare for it and found out that the warranty had been activated last year in June, (I'm assuming when this company received it originally), and ran out this past June. This also would mean that she was outside the 1-year window allowed for purchasing AppleCare.

Has anyone else dealt with a re-seller of Apple products and experienced this situation? Is it normal for the re-sellers to activate the warranty period when they receive the product to re-sell?

She is trying to contact Apple to ask them, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience as well.

Has anyone else dealt with a re-seller of Apple products and experienced this situation? Is it normal for the re-sellers to activate the warranty period when they receive the product to re-sell?

The warranty is active from when a consumer buys it, not when the vendor buys it from Apple.

Top Bottom