• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

Popped into the Georgetown DC Apple Store for a spell while my SO was browsing the shops. Hadn't been in an Apple Store for... probably years before that. Was surprised how much it's changed. Most bizarre thing for me was how there were no mice--every computer has a magic trackpad.

Also it's really cool that Logic Pro comes with the project file for Foster the People's "Helena Beat". You can solo tracks and switch between vocal takes. Very nice demo for the software.

I've read a few places that the hard drive cables can cause weird issues and should be replaced. Anyone heard of this?

Could easily be the cables. Do you or a friend have a USB SATA adaptor? The Mac will boot from USB and it would be a very fast way to rule out HDD#2 being toast (or see if #1 is really dead). Do you have another Mac or a friend with one? Boot that Mac with your HDD.

Basically you want to identify what's good and what isn't; if your HDD works in another Mac but not yours via USB then it probably isn't the cables, but if works equally well in both than it probably is the cables.

The line is suspended in many ways as we wait on Broadwell. It's something Apple obviously wants to invest in to solve long term.

But we aren't there yet. There's no emergency plan to pull the cord this year. They simply have to wait, secure in the knowledge they are going to get first delivery of what they need.

It's a sign of exactly how powerful Intel is at driving the forefront of micro engineering that even Apple wouldn't bail out on a dime. For now, everybody needs Intel to (a) succeed and (b) throw billions into Graphene, EULV and anything else that keeps the industry moving.

An architecture change is a huge, expensive move that requires a lot of work to get your developers on the same page. Apple should know this from leaving PowerPC behind. They won't do it just to cut costs, but they will do it if their own engineering team can figure out a legitimate, long term plan to beat Intel head-to-head with ARM.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
"Jim D" is either trolling or he has no idea what he's talking about.

There's no way that Apple could move away from Intel right now. The only other option out there for a low TDP processor would be the new AMD Kaveri line, and that would be a step down in almost all ways.

gokieks

The people who think Apple is moving away from Intel think that Apple somehow already has, or will have in the near future, an ARM-based processor with enough performance to run an emulation layer for legacy x86 code and still be faster/more efficient than Intel's offerings, or that they are willing to do a hard cutoff of all x86 legacy applications.

This is an absurd line of thought.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Chip delay or not, I want a new darn Mac mini. I'm sure as heck not going to buy a 2 year old model. I don't care if they push one out with the current processor. Just gimmie gimmie gimmie.

Fuchsdh

"Jim D" is either trolling or he has no idea what he's talking about.

There's no way that Apple could move away from Intel right now. The only other option out there for a low TDP processor would be the new AMD Kaveri line, and that would be a step down in almost all ways.

Jim Dalrymple knows more than any of us about what Apple might do.

That said I don't think he's saying anything outrageous. You're delusional if you don't think OS X is running on ARM right now somewhere in Cupertino.

But making the transition would be difficult, and it comes with a lot of downsides compared to the PPC -> Intel switch, which frankly was damn smooth for an architecture transition.

Perhaps the most important benefit of ARM right now is that it's providing some fire under the feet of Intel. AMD really isn't a viable competitor at this point, but the efficiency of ARM is something Intel has to be afraid of as the traditional PC market shrinks.

If Intel continues to stagnate, it may be the best path forward for Apple to switch, but it's going to be hard-considered.

Granadier

Jim Dalrymple knows more than any of us about what Apple might do.

That said I don't think he's saying anything outrageous. You're delusional if you don't think OS X is running on ARM right now somewhere in Cupertino.

But making the transition would be difficult, and it comes with a lot of downsides compared to the PPC -> Intel switch, which frankly was damn smooth for an architecture transition.

Perhaps the most important benefit of ARM right now is that it's providing some fire under the feet of Intel. AMD really isn't a viable competitor at this point, but the efficiency of ARM is something Intel has to be afraid of as the traditional PC market shrinks.

If Intel continues to stagnate, it may be the best path forward for Apple to switch, but it's going to be hard-considered.

Having it running on a test bench is a hell of a lot different than the mass market.
What kind of ARM processor is out there that can compete with an i7 or even an i5 that Apple is using?

Sure, it may be possible for Apple to switch to a different architecture. I just don't see any reason for them to consider it. Intel just released their Tick last month, the Tock of Broadwell is scheduled for the end of the year with the LGA1150 chips not even till Q2 2015.

Don't really see why people are calling for Apple to jump ship or light a fire under Intel's ass.

Deku Tree

Having it running on a test bench is a hell of a lot different than the mass market.
What kind of ARM processor is out there that can compete with an i7 or even an i5 that Apple is using?

Sure, it may be possible for Apple to switch to a different architecture. I just don't see any reason for them to consider it. Intel just released their Tick last month, the Tock of Broadwell is scheduled for the end of the year with the LGA1150 chips not even till Q2 2015.

Don't really see why people are calling for Apple to jump ship or light a fire under Intel's ass.

This was written by a 16 year old in 2011 (who now interns @ Intel BTW):

Right now a single ARM chip doesn’t come close to Intel’s desktop or laptop chips. But what if Apple stuck a couple of A5 (or the A5’s successor, presumably the A6) chips into a MacBook Air and ran them in parallel? Or if they stuck four of five of them into a MacBook Pro and ran those in parallel? Isn’t that what Grand Central Dispatch is all about?

Apple doesn’t say exactly how much power the A5 chip uses, but it’s certainly not more than the 1.9 watts a dual core Cortex A9 chip running at 2GHz uses. It probably draws closer to .5 watts, what ARM says a “Power-Optimized” dual core A9 chip does. So if Apple were to stick 10 A5 chips into a MacBook Pro, it would use just 5 watts of power, one ninth — yes, you read that right, one ninth — of the maximum TDP of the new MacBook Pros.

Performance would be nearly the same, too. When Engadget reviewed the new 15-inch MacBook Pros, they used Geekbench to measure its CPU performance. Its Geekbench score was 9647. John Gruber used Geekbench to measure the CPU performance of the A5 chip in the iPad 2. Its score was 721. Take 721, multiply it by ten. You get 7210.

That’s a 25% difference in performance while using only 11% of the power. It’s also 35% more powerful than the previous generation 2.66GHz dual core MacBook Pro.

http://mattrichman.net/post/3813584841/apple-and-arm-sitting-in-a-tree

Fuchsdh

The tick was Haswell, which has been out since mid 2013. The spec bump update is a stopgap because Broadwell has been delayed repeatedly, so it seems reasonable to assume Skylake will be delayed as well. There's lots of reasons for people to want a fire lit under Intel.

Granadier

http://mattrichman.net/post/3813584841/apple-and-arm-sitting-in-a-tree

The tick was Haswell, which has been out since mid 2013. The spec bump update is a stopgap because Broadwell has been delayed repeatedly, so it seems reasonable to assume Skylake will be delayed as well. There's lots of reasons for people to want a fire lit under Intel.

Well it will be interesting to see what happens then. I could see an Air being powered by the A-series chips, but powering the Pro line with them right now seems like a large leap.

The guy makes a point though when he mentions that going ARM would allow Apple to control almost all their architecture.

edit: Adding onto that, it seems Matt Richman believes the A8 chip will be powerful enough for the Air. link

Kadux

Neo Member
Having a hard time choosing between a 15" standard model vs a 13" 2.6ghz i5 with 16gb ram. I plan on using bootcamp to play some games on steam. Can the 13" stand that kind of usage? I had a 2008 13" MBP and loved it. Sold it to get a new one. Any special reason for me to get the 15"? Money isn't an issue but I'm afraid I wouldn't like the size of the 15"

Deku Tree

Having a hard time choosing between a 15" standard model vs a 13" 2.6ghz i5 with 16gb ram. I plan on using bootcamp to play some games on steam. Can the 13" stand that kind of usage? I had a 2009 13" MBP and loved it. Sold it to get a new one. Any special reason for me to get the 15"? Money isn't an issue but I'm afraid I wouldn't like the size of the 15"

If you think the 15" is too big, then buy the 13". I personally find the 15" large to carry around on a daily basis in a backpack...

...The main advantage that people will tell you about is that the high end 15" has Intel Iris Pro Graphics which the others don't have which might help a little for gaming.

Granadier

Having a hard time choosing between a 15" standard model vs a 13" 2.6ghz i5 with 16gb ram. I plan on using bootcamp to play some games on steam. Can the 13" stand that kind of usage? I had a 2009 13" MBP and loved it. Sold it to get a new one. Any special reason for me to get the 15"? Money isn't an issue but I'm afraid I wouldn't like the size of the 15"

You can play quite a few games with just the Iris graphics. I don't think you will be able to get any post processing or AA without sacrificing considerable frame rate, but they are respectable for low - mid range games.

Kadux

Neo Member
If you think the 15" is too big, then buy the 13". I personally find the 15" large to carry around on a daily basis in a backpack...

...The main advantage that people will tell you about is that the high end 15" has Intel Iris Pro Graphics which the others don't have which might help a little for gaming.

My issue with size isn't having to carry it around since I drive to work and school. It's just me not being used to a laptop that big. Guess that could change though... I still didn't get what the iris pro graphics is and what it does. Is it a huge improvement for gaming? I might pull the trigger on the 15" if so...anyway, thanks for the help!

Kadux

Neo Member
You can play quite a few games with just the Iris graphics. I don't think you will be able to get any post processing or AA without sacrificing considerable frame rate, but they are respectable for low - mid range games.

I see, guess I'll just get the 15" then. I want it to last at least 5 years as my previous MBP did. Might as well go for the better one. Thanks!

Granadier

My issue with size isn't having to carry it around since I drive to work and school. It's just me not being used to a laptop that big. Guess that could change though... I still didn't get what the iris pro graphics is and what it does. Is it a huge improvement for gaming? I might pull the trigger on the 15" if so...anyway, thanks for the help!

HD 5000 is the "base" graphics, Iris is HD 5100, and Iris Pro is HD 5200. Not sure if you would see much of a difference between Iris and Iris Pro.

If you are looking for respectable gaming I would advise going for the 15" model with the 750m in it. But that would be costing quite a bit more.

edit: I couldn't find a direct Iris vs Iris Pro, but here is an article showing that Iris Pro is on par with the GT 650M from the last gen Macbooks. link

Kadux

Neo Member
HD 5000 is the "base" graphics, Iris is HD 5100, and Iris Pro is HD 5200. Not sure if you would see much of a difference between Iris and Iris Pro.

If you are looking for respectable gaming I would advise going for the 15" model with the 750m in it. But that would be costing quite a bit more.

edit: I couldn't find a direct Iris vs Iris Pro, but here is an article showing that Iris Pro is on par with the GT 650M from the last gen Macbooks. link

After seeing that post, you basically convinced me to get the 15" with the 750m. I can see that's the point where it really makes a difference, price included! Wasn't planning to spend that much but it always turns out like this so...not bad to get a better machine. Thanks for the help!

Granadier

After seeing that post, you basically convinced me to get the 15" with the 750m. I can see that's the point where it really makes a difference, price included! Wasn't planning to spend that much but it always turns out like this so...not bad to get a better machine. Thanks for the help!

No problem. It's almost always better to go for a discrete card if graphics performance is what your looking for. The 750m is a very respectable chip for mobile platforms.

Enjoy your future MacBook.

Kadux

Neo Member
After spending some time with it I'll come back to post some impressions. My last laptop was a 2008 13" i5 dual core with 2gb ram and 128gb HDD. The jump in performance will be something else!

My laptop was on it's last days. Really slow sometimes and always hot but damn, never gave me a single problem! Sturdy as hell. Dropped it 3 times from sleeping with it on my bed, not a scratch. Spilled a glass of water on it one time (only a little actually got inside) and left it a week turned off hoping for the best. Turned it on and there he was, exactly the same. I know it was more luck than anything to do with the laptop but yeah, 6 solid years of everyday use and he took it like a champ. Was thinking about getting a SP3 since it seemed like a cool thing but then I thought "no way it's gonna last as long as my MBP" :p

Granadier

Good choice!!

Although the repairability on the Retina's is equally as bad as the SP3, I think it will last longer and bring more enjoyment.

Kadux

Neo Member
Me too. I'll use bootcamp to play games/use windows so that took out the need for a SP3 for me. Nowadays repairability is becoming more and more "just buy a new one" so might as well go for a product that has a good record.

Groof

Hey guys, got a quick q.

I was thinking of getting a Macbook pro with retina soonish for work. I've been thinking of either going with 128+16 or 256+8 configurations. I will be doing a lot of design related things on it, running things like Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop side by side likely. While I would like more storage for obvious reasons, would 8gb ram suffice for those kinds of multitasking?

Thanks!

Deku Tree

Hey guys, got a quick q.

I was thinking of getting a Macbook pro with retina soonish for work. I've been thinking of either going with 128+16 or 256+8 configurations. I will be doing a lot of design related things on it, running things like Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop side by side likely. While I would like more storage for obvious reasons, would 8gb ram suffice for those kinds of multitasking?

Thanks!

No get 16gb RAM. The 15 comes standard with 16gb now. Try to spend a little more for the 256 too if possible. Otherwise go 128.

giga

Hey guys, got a quick q.

Thanks!
It will suffice, but you'll appreciate not having to worry about it with the 16. Go with that one. If you need more space, you'll have thunderbolt for expansion.

20 slow cores is not the same as 2 fast ones. It'd be pretty spectacular for a server, but not great for a workstation. That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Mac switched to ARM in 2-5 years, the 'slow cores' aren't that slow anymore.

Groof

No get 16gb RAM. The 15 comes standard with 16gb now. Try to spend a little more for the 256 too if possible. Otherwise go 128.

It will suffice, but you'll appreciate not having to worry about it with the 16. Go with that one. If you need more space, you'll have thunderbolt for expansion.
Thanks for your answers, guess 16 will be the way to go. Oh and I forgot to say I was looking at the 13" since 15 is a bit out of my price range.
I'll see if I can stretch to at least 256 storage too, though.

Fuchsdh

20 slow cores is not the same as 2 fast ones. It'd be pretty spectacular for a server, but not great for a workstation. That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Mac switched to ARM in 2-5 years, the 'slow cores' aren't that slow anymore.

I think the idea is that GCD would solve a lot of the issues of smaller or faster, but I think the obvious hole in that argument is to look at the current landscape. Multithreaded applications are still by and large an anomaly, and while the overhead for developers with GCD is theoretically vastly lower, devs still have to code for that.

I've no doubt Apple could leverage a bunch of slow cores and still get a generally fast and responsive operating system, but day one must applications would probably run like mud (especially given we're assuming a Rosetta-like translation layer.)

I think the idea is that GCD would solve a lot of the issues of smaller or faster, but I think the obvious hole in that argument is to look at the current landscape.

Not all problems can be broken into smaller problems that can be solved in parallel, some must be solved in sequence. I agree that the current landscape leaves much to be desired, but even in a perfect world there will be cases where you want fewer faster processing units.

Fuchsdh

Not all problems can be broken into smaller problems that can be solved in parallel, some must be solved in sequence. I agree that the current landscape leaves much to be desired, but even in a perfect world there will be cases where you want fewer faster processing units.

True, but I honestly think that's a secondary consideration for Apple. The power benefits to ARM are such that even if a task takes you 2 or 3X longer using ARM versus Intel, you're probably going to get more than that back in battery life. It's just a case of what do you prefer or prioritize.

Deku Tree

I am guessing that an ARM processor switch would, like the rumors suggest, start at the low end. I.e. in the MacBook Air's for which the processor speed considerations being discussed are less important.

Maybe Apple will even have a solution to allow Mac's to run OS X on both Intel and ARM simultaneously for a while. Maybe the MacPro (Trash Can Computer) will not get an ARM chip anytime soon after the transition. Maybe Apple would sell Intel Machines side by side with ARM laptops for a while and let the user choose which one they want similar to the rMBP and old MBP setup they currently have... Or maybe Apple has an ARM design in their back pocket that is less optimized for power consumption (but still power optimized) and can compete with Intel in terms of processor speed.

The bottom line is it's hard for me to imagine Apple choosing to compete with Intel head on unless they strongly believe that they can win big over the long term.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I know this isn't a Mac question but I'll ask anyway.

My "Ear Pods" that came with my iPhone 5C which I only got in April or May or so are broken. The right speaker does not work anymore and I don't know why. I took perfect care of them. I always put them right back in their case every day. Never dropped them or anything. The older buds I got with my 4S over 2 years ago still work fine and those have been dropped and tangled and stuffed in pockets and haven't had any problems.

How long is my warranty and would they be covered? I don't have an Apple Store I can just walk to just for headphones.

Deku Tree

I know this isn't a Mac question but I'll ask anyway.

My "Ear Pods" that came with my iPhone 5C which I only got in April or May or so are broken. The right speaker does not work anymore and I don't know why. I took perfect care of them. I always put them right back in their case every day. Never dropped them or anything. The older buds I got with my 4S over 2 years ago still work fine and those have been dropped and tangled and stuffed in pockets and haven't had any problems.

How long is my warranty and would they be covered? I don't have an Apple Store I can just walk to just for headphones.

Should be a 1year warranty. Call and ask for new ones.

gokieks

I sure hope he's learned more about how parallel processing works since then, because the "here, take this Geekbench score and multiply it by X" is a hilariously incorrect way to measure performance difference between a single large fast processor and a large number of small slower ones.

And asking developers to switch from both x86 and good single-threaded performance to ARM and relying on massive multi-threaded parallelism for good performance is something that even Apple would have a hard time pulling off.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
So I recently replaced the PSU in my late-2006 C2D iMac and while I had it cracked open, I replaced the HDD with a SSD. Only problem is that the SSD doesn't have a place to put the hard drive sensor back in and now I think OS X is forcing my HDD fan to spin at 5600 RPMs even though iStat says my SSD is the coolest thing in my iMac at 109-110 °F. Anyone have any potential solutions?

Granadier

How do you guys handle your drive formats and your backups?

ie; Time-machine, ExFAT, journaled, non-journaled etc.

Granadier

Don't think time machine works with exfat.

Right, it uses case-sensitive as far as I know.

What I meant was, do you guys use Time Machine, or do you run an ExFAT drive that you manually store files to?

fireside

So I recently replaced the PSU in my late-2006 C2D iMac and while I had it cracked open, I replaced the HDD with a SSD. Only problem is that the SSD doesn't have a place to put the hard drive sensor back in and now I think OS X is forcing my HDD fan to spin at 5600 RPMs even though iStat says my SSD is the coolest thing in my iMac at 109-110 °F. Anyone have any potential solutions?

smcFanControl?

How do you guys handle your drive formats and your backups?

ie; Time-machine, ExFAT, journaled, non-journaled etc.

Mac Pro @ home
Clones of important volumes to internal volumes on different disks
Clone to home-made Backblaze equivalent
TimeMachine to internal volume

MacBook Air @ home
TimeMachine to Mac Pro

Mini @ work:
TimeMachine to USB drive; hopefully to Linux box soon.

PS: Default Mac filesystem is case-insensitive, and lots of third party software loses its shit if you try to use it on a case-sensitive filesystem.

Anyone have any potential solutions?

Take it apart again and stick the thermal sensor to the SSD.

EDIT: this purports to do what you want: HDD Fan Control EDIT2: as does, this for free: Macs Fan Control. Have no experience with either.

That only sets the minimum speed, it won't slow a fan down.

kennah

Right, it uses case-sensitive as far as I know.

What I meant was, do you guys use Time Machine, or do you run an ExFAT drive that you manually store files to?
Time machine to both a secondary hard drive and a NAS. Manual backup every few months of important docs to the NAS and separate hard drive. Third time machine usb hard drive that I keep at work.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would love for more USB ports... If only
On what?

I do sometimes wish I had one more port on my rMBP, but I'd rather more they moved both ports to one side and the HDMI to the other side. But it's not a big enough deal to bug me.

On the Mac mini, I could do with 6-8 USB3 ports. All my drives are USB and it'd mean I wouldn't need a hub. I have 7 drives. But my 2010 mini has 4 ports. So 3 get put on the machine itself and the other 4 have to be on a USB hub. I'd much rather have 8 ports. Though that probably won't happen either. Though I would bet they'd drop the FireWire 800 port from the next update so maybe they could put 1 or 2 more in there. I don't have any Thunderbolt devices so more of those ports is useless. At one point the Mac mini had 5 USB ports.

This wait for an updated mini is so hard. My 2010 model is soo slow. Just give me anything! At this point I'd buy a 2012 model at a discounted price. (And then the update would come out next week or something)

Top Bottom