• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Laekon

Is anyone else who follows this thread thinking about getting an iMac 5K? I'm going to check our local store on Monday to see if they have a demo unit on display. That store is a freaking zoo on weekends (a million people all talking very loudly like in a crowded restaurant) so I'm not even going to try until Monday. The mall is basically dead but the Apple store is an insane asylum. It's probably the only store making any money.

I'd wait for some reviews. I'd really question if the gfx cards can handle the screen.

adroit

I don't care about gaming (won't be doing any) but I guess if the cards were so overtaxed that they couldn't even do smooth video playback that would be a serious concern. But surely Apple wouldn't be that clueless (would they?).

I'm mostly going to be using it for glorified text editing (software development IDEs). But I'll be watching videos from time to time and if it's a slideshow, well, that would be something I'd want to know before buying, that's for sure.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is anyone else who follows this thread thinking about getting an iMac 5K? I'm going to check our local store on Monday to see if they have a demo unit on display. That store is a freaking zoo on weekends (a million people all talking very loudly like in a crowded restaurant) so I'm not even going to try until Monday. The mall is basically dead but the Apple store is an insane asylum. It's probably the only store making any money.

I haven't followed Apple news outside of Yosemite, so I had to go to the website to make sure you weren't joke.

What the fuck.

edit: The text in Yosemite is just downright gorgeous.

edit2: Curious that they went with the R9 M290X for the card instead of a GTX 980M.

The newest retina MBPs don't have trouble driving their resolutions, do they? I'm thinking of picking one up, and recall something about the past models having some problems because the resolution was too much for the hardware to handle.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The newest retina MBPs don't have trouble driving their resolutions, do they? I'm thinking of picking one up, and recall something about the past models having some problems because the resolution was too much for the hardware to handle.
No. Not that I've noticed. I'm on a 2013 model with dGPU. But even with the iGPU it's still fine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The RAM has a door on the outside of the case. iFixit has a guide for the HDD; get your suction cups ready.
Yeah, I saw that when watching an unboxing. At least the RAM is easy. For the HDD, I'll probably order a kit from OWC and if I'm not feeling confident enough I'll find someone to do it for me. Looks easy enough, but all that adhesive, man. I'd be afraid when I put it back on the screen might just fall out one night. That would suck.

Bleh. My wireless keyboard had the batteries corrode and now it just doesn't work. Fucking hell. None of my other electronics have ever done this... Also didn't use cheap batteries in it either so what the fuck. The magic trackpad is fine.

Edit: Fixed. Cleaned the cap and internal connector with a baking soda/water combination. Gonna go get some rechargeables now...

Fuchsdh

Bleh. My wireless keyboard had the batteries corrode and now it just doesn't work. Fucking hell. None of my other electronics have ever done this... Also didn't use cheap batteries in it either so what the fuck. The magic trackpad is fine.

Edit: Fixed. Cleaned the cap and internal connector with a baking soda/water combination. Gonna go get some rechargeables now...

Dunno if this was the issue, but make sure you don't mix batteries from different manufacturers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. Here's a question about RAM..

My new iMac 27" will apparently have 4 RAM slots. 2 of which should be empty with two of them having 4GB each.

My old Mac mini is a 2010 model. I will be retiring it when the iMac arrives. Is the RAM compatible? Will I be able to bump my iMac to 16GB with the RAM from the Mac mini? From a video I watched it looked like the same RAM but I don't know enough about RAM types to know whether or not it would work together.

According to the specs from EveryMac, the Mac mini uses PC3-8500 DDR3 and the iMac uses PC3-12800 DDR3. Does this mean they'll not work together? I don't know anything about this. Plus the Mac mini is 4 years old.

Talon

My new iMac 27" will apparently have 4 RAM slots. 2 of which should be empty with two of them having 4GB each.

My old Mac mini is a 2010 model. I will be retiring it when the iMac arrives. Is the RAM compatible? Will I be able to bump my iMac to 16GB with the RAM from the Mac mini? From a video I watched it looked like the same RAM but I don't know enough about RAM types to know whether or not it would work together.

According to the specs from EveryMac, the Mac mini uses PC3-8500 DDR3 and the iMac uses PC3-12800 DDR3. Does this mean they'll not work together? I don't know anything about this. Plus the Mac mini is 4 years old.
You're going to want to buy PC3-12800 DDR3 memory.

Rule of thumb: you want the same type and speed of RAM in all your slots, so they can run in parallel.

RAM's cheap.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You're going to want to buy PC3-12800 DDR3 memory.

Rule of thumb: you want the same type and speed of RAM in all your slots, so they can run in parallel.

RAM's cheap.
I figured as much. 4 years is a lot of time for RAM to change. Does the RAM have to be all the same size? Or can I get two 8s later and have 12GB or do I need to get all the same size, two more 4s or 4 8s?

Talon

I figured as much. 4 years is a lot of time for RAM to change. Does the RAM have to be all the same size? Or can I get two 8s later and have 12GB or do I need to get all the same size, two more 4s or 4 8s?
Oh, by size you're meaning GBs. If you have 4 slots, you want 4 4GBs. 16 GBs will be MORE than plenty enough for at least the next five years unless we have some sort of crazy ass graphene-fueled revolution.

kennah

Your RAM would be fine, you're not using an iGPU and the difference in speed is minimal.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh, by size you're meaning GBs. If you have 4 slots, you want 4 4GBs. 16 GBs will be MORE than plenty enough for at least the next five years unless we have some sort of crazy ass graphene-fueled revolution.
Your RAM would be fine, you're not using an iGPU and the difference in speed is minimal.
Well I just mean will the RAM I put in my 2010 Mac mini work in my 2013 iMac? Because if it does, if it's designed to deal with different kinds so it doesn't break anything, then it would be a cheap way to double my RAM right out of the box. I just don't want to pop the mini RAM into the iMac because it happened to fit in the slot only to find out it overloaded my brand new iMac or will cause problems later.

What do the numbers mean? PC3-8500 DDR3 vs. PC3-12800 DDR3. Both are PC3. Both are DDR3. But would the 8500 vs. 12800 be a problem? Will using the lower number in the better machine cause unnecessary slowdown as it throttles to match? Or will it be negligible? Edit: Okay. I see what you said above.

The better question is, do the two RAM types even fit in the same slot at all in the first place?

kennah

Well I just mean will the RAM I put in my 2010 Mac mini work in my 2013 iMac? Because if it does, if it's designed to deal with different kinds so it doesn't break anything, then it would be a cheap way to double my RAM right out of the box. I just don't want to pop the mini RAM into the iMac because it happened to fit in the slot only to find out it overloaded my brand new iMac or will cause problems later.

What do the numbers mean? PC3-8500 DDR3 vs. PC3-12800 DDR3. Both are PC3. Both are DDR3. But would the 8500 vs. 12800 be a problem? Will using the lower number in the better machine cause unnecessary slowdown as it throttles to match? Or will it be negligible? Edit: Okay. I see what you said above.

The better question is, do the two RAM types even fit in the same slot at all in the first place?

DDR3 is DDR3 is DDR3. The RAM will fit. It just means that the other stuff is slower. 1066MHz vs 1600MHz. For most purposes, the extra RAM space will differ the reduced speed. So yeah, you could use it for a while, and later on if you want to, swap it out for 32gig of 1600 for REAL ULTIMATE POWER. If you do a lot of video rendering, like as your job, you might notice the difference. But for most uses, it really doesn't matter. Try a bench mark before and after. It's not like it's hard to take in and out. Bottom line - you won't start a fire or hurt anything.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
DDR3 is DDR3 is DDR3. The RAM will fit. It just means that the other stuff is slower. 1066MHz vs 1600MHz. For most purposes, the extra RAM space will differ the reduced speed. So yeah, you could use it for a while, and later on if you want to, swap it out for 32gig of 1600 for REAL ULTIMATE POWER. If you do a lot of video rendering, like as your job, you might notice the difference. But for most uses, it really doesn't matter. Try a bench mark before and after. It's not like it's hard to take in and out. Bottom line - you won't start a fire or hurt anything.
Okay. Then it's settled. The RAM will be transferred. I will be using it as a server mainly with some video watching duties but the extra RAM could really be useful for all the server apps I use. (Video streaming servers, photo streaming servers, Minecraft servers, AirPlay receiver, Transmission, so many things.

I rarely make videos. And when I do, I'm fine with the speed I get from my 15" MBP which is where the video is usually created anyway. Though I might try out Parallels and see if any games run smoother than my rMBP. I don't know how much better the 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 755M in the iMac will be than the 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 750M in my MacBook Pro. Or whether the 3.2GHz i5 in the iMac will be faster or slower than the 2.3 GHz i7 in my MacBook Pro.

Who knows, the iMac might change how my workflow works. I might even go back to the Air next time (2 more years at least) and use the iMac as my powerhouse instead and the Air as my day to day machine. I only slightly regret not spending $1000 more for the Retina iMac. Okay. No I don't. lol

Though I do find it really sad that the Retina iMac costs $100 less than the top of the line Retina MacBook Pro with dGPU. And it even has 12" more display, better graphics, better processor and everything. It must be the Flash storage in the rMBP causing the huge price difference.

Pinewood

Uh huh. Pretty sure the guy at Mac Mini Colo has one based on his tweets.
His previous tweets didn't give any indication wether he's has one or not. I mean, he may have just jumped to conclusions with the RAM based on the info from apple, everyone knows the hard drive is replaceable if it isn't a SSD (and even then you can most likely get a kit from OWC).

The guy should just post pics instead of going "Yeah, believe me, I own a site dedicated to Mac minis" if he has one and can actually rip it open.

Been using Yosemite for a couple of days now, I LOVE the new look. Some sites have asked me for push notifications and I have denied them, is it like a RSS kind of thing that news will start to come to my notification centre?

Also switched to Safari from Chrome, it seems somewhat snappier atm, although I don't have like 6-15 tabs open right now like I did with Chrome.

Any major updates to the Macbook Pro line coming in the near future? I currently have a Early 2009 17-inch unibody Pro that is starting to show some age finally. My Hard drive just failed on it, which is no big deal, but it got me thinking about upgrading.

Any major updates to the Macbook Pro line coming in the near future? I currently have a Early 2009 17-inch unibody Pro that is starting to show some age finally. My Hard drive just failed on it, which is no big deal, but it got me thinking about upgrading.

I would wait for the Broadwell refresh early next year. If nothing else, you're going to get some size and weight shaved off the 15", most likely, and better battery life.

LeleSocho

Banned
Another question regarding ram:
My MBP have ram that runs at 1333Mhz now i know that doesn't support faster type ones but if i put the 1600Mhz ones in it because i already have them they'll automatically downscale to 1333 or they just won't work?

Deku Tree

The last time I bought ram I just filled out th questionairre on crucial.com and then bought what they recommended. It still works fine several years later.

I was ecstatic they updated the Mac mini (so ecstatic I actually did a Flair strut) and couldn't care less about soldered RAM. I was a bit disappointed by the $499 mini only having 4 GB of RAM since 4 GB is not enough for Lion, let alone Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite.

In order for me to get the mini I want, it will cost me $1,199. $699 + $200 for the 16 GB RAM upgrade, $200 for the 256 GB PCIe SSD, and $99 for Applecare which I might as well get ahead of time. I do not need to spend $300 for the processor upgrade since it's still a dual core.

Right now, there are still no 16 GB SODIMMS so I think we have a ways to go before 32 GB of memory is necessary the way 16 GB is today.

If I was getting the retina iMac, I'd absolutely have 32 GB but not get it through Apple obviously.

Another question regarding ram:
My MBP have ram that runs at 1333Mhz now i know that doesn't support faster type ones but if i put the 1600Mhz ones in it because i already have them they'll automatically downscale to 1333 or they just won't work?

They will either down clock or the computer won't boot. Since you have them go ahead and try them.

gAg CruSh3r

I'm new to the Mac computer world. My wife wanting a new computer for Christmas. I want to get her a Mac Pro computer but I don't know what is the best deal I can get for her. I'm a expecting to pay around 1000$ for it but I don't know what am I looking for exactly. Can you guys help me out? Also should I wait until Blackfriday sales?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was ecstatic they updated the Mac mini (so ecstatic I actually did a Flair strut) and couldn't care less about soldered RAM. I was a bit disappointed by the $499 mini only having 4 GB of RAM since 4 GB is not enough for Lion, let alone Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite.

In order for me to get the mini I want, it will cost me $1,199. $699 + $200 for the 16 GB RAM upgrade, $200 for the 256 GB PCIe SSD, and $99 for Applecare which I might as well get ahead of time. I do not need to spend $300 for the processor upgrade since it's still a dual core.

Right now, there are still no 16 GB SODIMMS so I think we have a ways to go before 32 GB of memory is necessary the way 16 GB is today.

If I was getting the retina iMac, I'd absolutely have 32 GB but not get it through Apple obviously.
And this the reason I have a refurbished iMac on its way to me right now.

adroit

I'm new to the Mac computer world. My wife wanting a new computer for Christmas. I want to get her a Mac Pro computer but I don't know what is the best deal I can get for her. I'm a expecting to pay around 1000$ for it but I don't know what am I looking for exactly. Can you guys help me out? Also should I wait until Blackfriday sales?
I don't think you mean the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is a desktop computer in a black cylindrical case. The starting price is $3000 (with no display):

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro

I think you mean a MacBook Pro notebook:

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Before you go for the least expensive model, be aware that it doesn't have a "retina" display. So stuff like text (fonts) won't be as sharp as on a retina display. Still very usable but not as sharp. Just be aware of the tradeoff before you buy.

gAg CruSh3r

I don't think you mean the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is a desktop computer in a black cylindrical case. The starting price is $3000 (with no display):

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro

I think you mean a MacBook Pro notebook:

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Before you go for the least expensive model, be aware that it doesn't have a "retina" display. So stuff like text (fonts) won't be as sharp as on a retina display. Still very usable but not as sharp. Just be aware of the tradeoff before you buy.

Oh yes sorry I mean MacBook pro. Also is it worth it for the retina display? Also is it worth the price to go big for the better model or should I get the more basic one?

My wife does a lot of different school work and she likes to play with photos too. Will it play games too (The Sims)?

adroit

Also is it worth it for the retina display? Also is it worth the price to go big for the better model or should I get the more basic one?

My wife does a lot of different school work and she likes to play with photos too. Will it play games too (The Sims)?
Do you happen to live near an Apple store? That's probably the best way to decide, assuming they still have a non-retina MacBook Pro on display. If the nearest store is not very close, be sure to call them in advance to ask about what they have on display so you don't waste a trip.

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

I can't help you with gaming on a Mac. I don't even own a Mac yet. I'm shopping for one just like you are.

I'm new to the Mac computer world. My wife wanting a new computer for Christmas. I want to get her a Mac[Book] Pro computer but I don't know what is the best deal I can get for her. I'm a expecting to pay around 1000$ for it but I don't know what am I looking for exactly. Can you guys help me out? Also should I wait until Blackfriday sales?

Blackfriday is at best $100 off a few models directly from Apple; you may get better deals from other vendors, especially on older models. You mentioned your wife doing school work; if she is a student or teacher then you're eligible for education pricing, which is only ~$100 on the low end models, but is available all the time. There are also good deals on refurb models (which have full warranties). None of these discounts stack, of course.

I would use Google to assess a given game's performance on a given model.

Fuchsdh

Oh yes sorry I mean MacBook pro. Also is it worth it for the retina display? Also is it worth the price to go big for the better model or should I get the more basic one?

Non-retina Macbook Pros are years old at this point. Paying a bit more up front gets you much better graphics, better CPUs, and longer battery life.

So I've got the 13 inch Mac Pro with 2.8ghz and about 380gb of free hard drive space. It's only a few months old. Everytime I run Insurgency, the game crashes about two times an hour. And that's with no other programs running except steam. Safari also makes my computer freeze up from time to time, but I have tons of windows and tabs open.

Do I need to take my computer to the Apple Store? I feel like a game like Insurgency shouldn't be that hard to run.

Any benchmarks on the new iMac? From reading up it seems like it's not much better than the current iMacs, but with a new display. Also worried that display will take its toll on the performance. I'm not overly interested in 5k, but definitely need power dr video editing / after effects

I would wait for the Broadwell refresh early next year. If nothing else, you're going to get some size and weight shaved off the 15", most likely, and better battery life.

I'm planning on ordering a refurb mid-spec (8GB/256GB) Oct 2013 13'' rMBP sometime next week. Would Broadwell be a significant improvement? I'm just really eager to replace my current Windows laptop (heavy to carry/slow HDD). If it's merely an extra hour or two of battery life for the 13'' refresh, I'll just go ahead and order the refurb in a few days.

I'm planning on ordering a refurb mid-spec (8GB/256GB) Oct 2013 13'' rMBP sometime next week. Would Broadwell be a significant improvement? I'm just really eager to replace my current Windows laptop (heavy to carry/slow HDD). If it's merely an extra hour or two of battery life for the 13'' refresh, I'll just go ahead and order the refurb in a few days.

You will get a faster cpu, improved graphics, plus other potential rumerd stuff: a clickless trackpad, a slimmer body, replace Magsafe with a new way of charging, and perhaps reversible USB 3.1 Type C.

Fuchsdh

Any benchmarks on the new iMac? From reading up it seems like it's not much better than the current iMacs, but with a new display. Also worried that display will take its toll on the performance. I'm not overly interested in 5k, but definitely need power dr video editing / after effects

It's got a more powerful processor and fairly substantial boost to graphics, so at worst I'd expect it to merely be *as good* as its predecessor, plus outputting 5K. I don't expect it will be any worse; they aren't trying to drive it using an integrated GPU, and the R9 cards are a pretty nice upgrade over the 700-series Kepler GPUs they were/are using for the non-retina Macs.

It's got a more powerful processor and fairly substantial boost to graphics, so at worst I'd expect it to merely be *as good* as its predecessor, plus outputting 5K. I don't expect it will be any worse; they aren't trying to drive it using an integrated GPU, and the R9 cards are a pretty nice upgrade over the 700-series Kepler GPUs they were/are using for the non-retina Macs.
Thanks. I've been offered a late 2013 iMac with 32 gig ram, 3.5ghz i7 for about $2500 Australian. To spec up the retina iMac will be about $3500 to $4000. thinking the 2013 could be a good move for now.

If you were planning on doing any light gaming on the MBP, Broadwell's graphics will bring a pretty significant boost to performance.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
According to UPS my (non-Retina 27" refurbished) iMac still hasn't actually shipped. So much for possibly arriving early. Should have paid the $30 extra. I'm so anxious.

adroit

Last week I was pretty psyched about the 5K iMac. But then I watched the tear-down video on iFixIt and realized that there is no way to easily blow out the dust which inevitably clogs the cooling airflow path in any computer and drastically reduces cooling efficiency, which will eventually lead to thermal throttling, shutdown, or component failure. To confirm my suspicions, I did some more Googling and found YouTube videos made by people with iMacs who not only had the cooling airflow problem I described above but also dust getting into the light path of the display, causing banding.

I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt and assume (hope) they've corrected the dust-in-the-display problem. But what about cleaning out the cooling airflow paths? Does Apple just expect people with iMacs to use them until they clog up with dust and overheat and then just buy a new iMac?

There is no way I'm cutting the adhesive (!?!?!?) which attaches the 5K display to the computer and pulling it off with a suction cup to clean out the dust so the components on the motherboard don't overheat. Such engineering. Where do you go to school to learn how to design stuff like this?

I'm sorry for ranting. I'm kinda frustrated, shocked, disappointed, and disillusioned.

Mobius 1

Last week I was pretty psyched about the 5K iMac. But then I watched the tear-down video on iFixIt and realized that there is no way to easily blow out the dust which inevitably clogs the cooling airflow path in any computer and drastically reduces cooling efficiency, which will eventually lead to thermal throttling, shutdown, or component failure. To confirm my suspicions, I did some more Googling and found YouTube videos made by people with iMacs who not only had the cooling airflow problem I described above but also dust getting into the light path of the display, causing banding.

I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt and assume (hope) they've corrected the dust-in-the-display problem. But what about cleaning out the cooling airflow paths? Does Apple just expect people with iMacs to use them until they clog up with dust and overheat and then just buy a new iMac?

There is no way I'm cutting the adhesive (!?!?!?) which attaches the 5K display to the computer and pulling it off with a suction cup to clean out the dust so the components on the motherboard don't overheat. Such engineering. Where do you go to school to learn how to design stuff like this?

I'm sorry for ranting. I'm kinda frustrated, shocked, disappointed, and disillusioned.

I have a late 2012 iMac, built in the same way. It's always on, used daily. Does not and never had a problem with dust or overheating. I didn't even know this was or could be an issue, you are probably letting edge cases scare you.

Top Bottom