• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

bionic77

Thanks. I've been offered a late 2013 iMac with 32 gig ram, 3.5ghz i7 for about $2500 Australian. To spec up the retina iMac will be about $3500 to $4000. thinking the 2013 could be a good move for now.
If you are looking at them new it is hard not to get the 27" Retina. With the added specs and included fusion drive (which I consider a must anyways) it is barely more expensive than the non-retina.

Different if you can get a good deal on a slightly used one and I don't know how prices are outside of the US.

adroit

I have a late 2012 iMac, built in the same way. It's always on, used daily. Does not and never had a problem with dust or overheating. I didn't even know this was or could be an issue, you are probably letting edge cases scare you.
Thanks. Yeah, happy people don't generally post nearly as often as unhappy people. That's the problem with researching stuff on the Internet.

And I'm also an outlier myself since I want a computer to last me at least 5 years (since I don't use it for games or intensive stuff like ultra-HD video editing or format conversion).

Again, sorry for ranting. Shopping for expensive stuff is stressful for me. 8D

kennah

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyway, sorry to doublepost, but is it normal for UPS to still be reporting my order as "Label created/Order processed" but not shipped at all yet? It's due to arrive tomorrow and it hasn't even shipped yet. What's going on?

adroit

Anyway, sorry to doublepost, but is it normal for UPS to still be reporting my order as "Label created/Order processed" but not shipped at all yet? It's due to arrive tomorrow and it hasn't even shipped yet. What's going on?
I'd say it hasn't shipped yet. If you want to know what's going on, you'll probably have to call or e-mail Apple to get the status of your order.

Aurongel

I found a mint condition 2011 13 inch Macbook Air (core i7, 4gb, 256gb SSD) on eBay for a friend. I've heard horror stories about this very type of situation on eBay and I'm very skiddish about pulling the trigger.

Even if the machine is in pristine condition, what would the battery life be like at this point? My Sandy Bridge Thinkpad from 2011 still gets spectacular battery life but will the Air battery be in a similarly healthy condition?

Decisions, decisions ;_;

Fuchsdh

I found a mint condition 2011 13 inch Macbook Air (core i7, 4gb, 256gb SSD) on eBay for a friend. I've heard horror stories about this very type of situation on eBay and I'm very skiddish about pulling the trigger.

Even if the machine is in pristine condition, what would the battery life be like at this point? My Sandy Bridge Thinkpad from 2011 still gets spectacular battery life but will the Air battery be in a similarly healthy condition?

Decisions, decisions ;_;

I've had plenty of good experiences with eBay; got both my current Macs off there with no problems. The question of battery is a good one, though; assuming it's sealed, I have no idea how much the battery might have degraded. I assume that since they aren't shipped fully charged, it should be fine...

After 2 years of use my Air has roughly 80% of capacity in the battery, I think. It's at 5194 mAh out of 6700 mAh.

It's only at 400 cycles so. Debating on getting it replaced at this point. I still get like 5 hours still though so it's not a pressing matter.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. So my iMac did not show up today. As of last night it had still not been shipped nor had it been sent to UPS. I was getting worried, and thought I was going to have to call Apple tomorrow.

But fortunately I got an email from UPS today telling me I have a package coming tomorrow. Now I'm excited. A little late, but I can't wait. Shame I am working so much this weekend. And tomorrow is going to be a long day of excitement. I really hope someone is home to sign for it.

Fuchsdh

Okay. So my iMac did not show up today. As of last night it had still not been shipped nor had it been sent to UPS. I was getting worried, and thought I was going to have to call Apple tomorrow.

But fortunately I got an email from UPS today telling me I have a package coming tomorrow. Now I'm excited. A little late, but I can't wait. Shame I am working so much this weekend. And tomorrow is going to be a long day of excitement. I really hope someone is home to sign for it.

I'm expecting gratuitous full-res screenshots.

Speaking of which

imac-vs-mac.jpg

That's just crazy how far we've come in 30 years.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm expecting gratuitous full-res screenshots.

Speaking of which

That's just crazy how far we've come in 30 years.
It's not a 5K though. So it won't be impressive. It'll just be 2560x1440. (I wish it was a 5K. Retina would look so amazing on a screen that big.)

Sorry.

Can't wait for my new toy. I'll definitely post pictures when I get it set up. But it's just a silly stock 27" that's been out for a year. lol It's probably going to be huge on my desk.

I am interested to see how the M295X performs with the retina 5K iMac. I think it is essential (in addition to flash storage) to have if you are dropping $2,500 for a computer.

outsidah

I am interested to see how the M295X performs with the retina 5K iMac. I think it is essential (in addition to flash storage) to have if you are dropping $2,500 for a computer.

Yeah I'd like the 295x, SSD and the 16gb. Adds up might quick though.

I really, really hate the fact it has no video input of any kind though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It has two Thunderbolt ports, which will each drive a dual link display, no?
Video input. Not output.

iMacs a long time ago had HDMI in. You could plug say a HDMI console into your iMac and use it as a display. When they switched to Thunderbolt they changed to only allowing video from Thunderbolt devices like other Macs.

But now the 5K iMac doesn't allow for video in at all. Not even scaled down video. It just doesn't allow anything to input. Possibly because no Mac currently has 5K output due to there not actually being any 5K displays available from Apple aside from the iMac 5K, which is already a computer.

The other non-5K iMacs can do video input though. I watched an unboxing where the guy plugged his 5K iMac into his non-5K iMac and had two 1440p displays, one with HighDPI (The 5K) and the other just normal 1440p. (The older one) You just can't go the other direction anymore. Maybe the next 5K iMac will include it when Macs start coming out with 5K support, but current models will not do input.

That's a lot of words for such a simple answer. lol

jts

...hate me...
Video input. Not output.

iMacs a long time ago had HDMI in. You could plug say a HDMI console into your iMac and use it as a display. When they switched to Thunderbolt they changed to only allowing video from Thunderbolt devices like other Macs.

But now the 5K iMac doesn't allow for video in at all. Not even scaled down video. It just doesn't allow anything to input. Possibly because no Mac currently has 5K output due to there not actually being any 5K displays available from Apple aside from the iMac 5K, which is already a computer.

The other non-5K iMacs can do video input though. I watched an unboxing where the guy plugged his 5K iMac into his non-5K iMac and had two 1440p displays, one with HighDPI (The 5K) and the other just normal 1440p. (The older one) You just can't go the other direction anymore. Maybe the next 5K iMac will include it when Macs start coming out with 5K support, but current models will not do input.

That's a lot of words for such a simple answer. lol

iMacs never had HDMI in. It was always displayport/thunderbolt in, since the inception of the 27" iMac.

The price drop/spec bump on the 5K iMac next year is going to be crucial. It'll just make everything about the 5K iMac more palatable.

Fuchsdh

The price drop/spec bump on the 5K iMac next year is going to be crucial. It'll just make everything about the 5K iMac more palatable.

I'm wondering how much it'll actually be. More interesting to me is the cost of a 4K 21", which I assume will be coming in a year or so.

The other tricky thing is I dunno if they'll update the non-retina iMacs any more. Last time they just let the normal MBP's whither as a low-cost option. But I'm not sure if the price drops will be as drastic with a 5K display, and I'm not sure whether leaving the regular iMacs un-updated was due to the Broadwell delay this time around.

(Although now that I think about it, they might try and do a 4K 21" on iGPU if it's Broadwell, at least on the low end.)

I have downgraded from Yosemite to Mavericks using the OSX Internet Recovery.
It went fine, but now the "last modified" dates on my applications in finder are all wrong, some even show 2013 and i bought this macbook pro last summer, so it's impossible.
I have checked the date and the time zone and even done another clean install: nothing changed.
Any way to fix?

mrkgoo

I have downgraded fron Yosemite to Mavericks using the OSX Internet Recovery.
It went fine, but now the "last modified" dates on my applications in finder are all wrong, some even show 2013 and i bought this macbook pro last summer, so it's impossible.
I have checked the date and the time zone and even done another clean install: nothing changed.
Any way to fix?

Are sure this is wrong? Because they may just be time stamps for when that app was created.

give an example and someone else running Mavericks can confirm for you.

Generally speaking I wouldn't suggest users keep flipping back and forth between OS installs.

If you're unsure about an upgrade, wait until adoption has stabilised and they iron out the big bugs, in the mean time do a bit of research into whether the features and design are to your liking and needs.

Any changes after upgrading, unless super critical, may just take some getting used to.

But maybe that's just me. I tend to be faulty adaptable and can stomach minor changes.

Of course if something turns out to be critically broken such as a very important feature for your workflow or an incompatibility with another piece of software or hardware, by all means roll back.

Always make backups before major updates.

Are sure this is wrong? Because they may just be time stamps for when that app was created.

give an example and someone else running Mavericks can confirm for you.

Generally speaking I wouldn't suggest users keep flipping back and forth between OS installs.

If you're unsure about an upgrade, wait until adoption has stabilised and they iron out the big bugs, in the mean time do a bit of research into whether the features and design are to your liking and needs.

Any changes after upgrading, unless super critical, may just take some getting used to.

But maybe that's just me. I tend to be faulty adaptable and can stomach minor changes.

Of course if something turns out to be critically broken such as a very important feature for your workflow or an incompatibility with another piece of software or hardware, by all means roll back.

Always make backups before major updates.

They are all incorrect, even the dates of the last use of the application (for those which i have not started after the clean install).

schermata2014-10-24algsqxj.png

mrkgoo

The apps and the os work without any issues, i was just curious about what caused this bug, if it's a bug at all.

Thanks for answering.
Just for the record, I'm on Yosemite, and I just checked my apps.

Most say last modified of September 10, 2014, but a few earlier. Such as the AppStore which is July, and my Messages which is last modified May 2012.

Edit: it may be the same as yours given time zone differences. I would say it's normal.

Probably a time stamp when those apps wee actually updated.

Y ah I know messages it self has some changes, but maybe they are in share sheets and not the actual app itself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My iMac arrived! But I'm stuck at work for 5 more hours! Boo!

I got the notice from Apple at 7AM this morning. It first showed up on my phone. Then it showed up on my MBP. Then it showed up on my iPad. And I assume it also showed up on my Mac mini. I love that feature.

Then I got a text from my mom at 3:30 saying it had arrived.

Then an email from UPS saying it had been delivered.

Then a text message from Apple saying it was delivered.

So I am about 85% sure my iMac is waiting for me at home.

mrkgoo

My iMac arrived! But I'm stuck at work for 5 more hours! Boo!

I got the notice from Apple at 7AM this morning. It first showed up on my phone. Then it showed up on my MBP. Then it showed up on my iPad. And I assume it also showed up on my Mac mini. I love that feature.

Then I got a text from my mom at 3:30 saying it had arrived.

Then an email from UPS saying it had been delivered.

Then a text message from Apple saying it was delivered.

So I am about 85% sure my iMac is waiting for me at home.

I wouldn't get your hopes up :p

Are you getting a 5K?

mrkgoo

He got a refurbished 27

Nice!

Just for the record, when the 5K was released here, the entire price range for the iMacs changed to reflect current exchange rate. It means all the other iMacs went up in price here. Kind of sucks for those waiting for a refresh to see what happens only to find the existing macs are now more expensive.

Yeah I'd like the 295x, SSD, and the 16gb. Adds up might quick though.

I really, really hate the fact it has no video input of any kind though.

Upgrade yourself from Crucial to 32 GB. How big of an SSD are you getting? If you go with 256 GB, it adds no cost and if you go to 512 GB it adds $300. I wouldn't go with 1 TB since $800 is a bit high.

mrkgoo

Not right now. Probably in a few years if I decide to stick to having an iMac as my server machine. Just a boring old low DPI iMac for me right now.
I have a late 2012 iMac 21.5" with fusion drive. I love it. Wasn't workingg at the time so couldnt afford a 27", but I would've love that. Upgradable ram and so forth.

Need help MacGAF

My hard drive recently crapped out on my MBP Early 2009 unibody and I just got a new one to replace it. Bad thing is I didn't have any backups so I am installing from scratch. I have the original install discs but my optical drive is broken; so looks like I will have to make a bootable USB. What is the easiest way to get back up and running? Original OS was 10.5.6 and the last OS I had on it was Yosemite.

edit*** My wife also has a Mac if that will make things any easier.

Fuchsdh

Need help MacGAF

My hard drive recently crapped out on my MBP Early 2009 unibody and I just got a new one to replace it. Bad thing is I didn't have any backups so I am installing from scratch. I have the original install discs but my optical drive is broken; so looks like I will have to make a bootable USB. What is the easiest way to get back up and running? Original OS was 10.5.6 and the last OS I had on it was Yosemite.

Find another computer you can run Diskmaker X or a Terminal command on and create a bootable USB installer from that?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have a late 2012 iMac 21.5" with fusion drive. I love it. Wasn't workingg at the time so couldnt afford a 27", but I would've love that. Upgradable ram and so forth.
I might have gotten a Fusion drive if it weren't Refurb. But I takes what I gets. I might upgrade to an SSD at some point in the future. For now it's much better than my Mac mini from 2010.

I don't know what kind of HDD the 2010 Mac mini has in it, but it only has 65MB/s read and write. I had been with SSD in my laptops for so long I thought this was normal for a desktop HDD. But I just tested the speed on my new iMac and I get 200MB/s both ways. Applications launch so much faster on this new machine. I don't know if something was wrong with the HDD I have in the mini, but it never exhibited any signs of failing. It's just sloooooooow. I'll be glad to reformat it and see if I can give it to a family member. Well, if I can find the 4GB RAM it came with since I might take the RAM out of it for my new iMac. I haven't decided yet.

Haven't set it up completely yet. Will be doing that shortly when my dad is finished watching an episode of The Simpsons from the server. (When is that Simpsons World app coming?) Also I have to update to Yosemite first. It's currently downloading.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Have any of you experienced lockups in Yosemite during graphics switching?

Every once in a while when my discrete switches on the whole system will lockup minus the mouse. A classmate of mine with a 2012 Retina mentioned that he's had similar lockups since upgrading to Yosemite as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Have any of you experienced lockups in Yosemite during graphics switching?

Every once in a while when my discrete switches on the whole system will lockup minus the mouse. A classmate of mine with a 2012 Retina mentioned that he's had similar lockups since upgrading to Yosemite as well.
I did occasionally during the Beta. Haven't since. And I'm actually still on the final PB. (Lazy)

GAF, I just updated to OSX 10.9 and for some reason when I try to update the pages app through the App Store, it won't update... No matter how many times I click the button--Nothing happens. Help?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Upgrade to 10.10. Pages was updated past 10.9 support and won't work on it anymore. 10.10 works on anything 10.9 works on. There's literally no reason to not upgrade to 10.10.

mrkgoo

GAF, I just updated to OSX 10.9 and for some reason when I try to update the pages app through the App Store, it won't update... No matter how many times I click the button--Nothing happens. Help?

Upgrade to 10.10. Pages was updated past 10.9 support and won't work on it anymore. 10.10 works on anything 10.9 works on. There's literally no reason to not upgrade to 10.10.

If there's an update to an app that requires 10.10, it falls under an "incompatible update" section in the App Store. I noticed apps appearing in this section on Yosemite release date, but before I updated to Yosemite.

I do recall some instances during MAvericks where apps wouldn't update. I'd click, it'd download but then leave it on the "update" button. or something. can't recall exactly. I managed to jigger it into effect by closing App Store and reopening.

Try restarting.

Pinewood

I have this weird issue wiht my mac (yosemite?) that when I open the lid and it goes to the enter password screen, the upper part of the screen flickers slightly. This goes away when it goes to the desktop though. I just recently started using a password, so I don't know if it was an issue before.

Top Bottom