• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

MagSafe adaptor discontinued.... New long overdue Apple Display on Monday?

That's a goofy way for a possible refresh to leak, but the monitors certainly need it... they're still great IPS displays, but they're really overpriced with legacy IO at this point.

Maybe a 4K 21 or 24 inch?

Deku Tree

That's a goofy way for a possible refresh to leak, but the monitors certainly need it... they're still great IPS displays, but they're really overpriced with legacy IO at this point.

Maybe a 4K 21 or 24 inch?

What's the largest 4K monitor that could run on say a double TB connection?
I'd really like a new large 27 inches...

Fuchsdh

What's the largest 4K monitor that could run on say a double TB connection?
I'd really like a new large 27 inches...

The panel size doesn't really matter, but Apple is interested in their retina quadrupling of pixels, which is why they hacked together an internal connection that would facilitate a 5K iMac, since there's no cable that can handle that signal on the market without cludgy workarounds like the "fused two smaller panels together" method and SST.

I can't see Apple going with such a wonky setup. So going off their current approach, a retina 1080p would fit a 21.5" iMac just like the 5K was the neat doubling of resolution on the 1440p 27" iMacs of before.

You don't need double Thunderbolt for 4K, you just need Thunderbolt 2/DisplayPort 1.2. You could get 5K using two DisplayPort cables, but that's where the cludginess comes in.

Unless Apple is going to wait for Thunderbolt 3 and the next revision of DisplayPort to give us a direct successor to the non-retina Cinema Display they currently offer, chances are we're not going to get a retina 5K monitor anytime soon. a 4K 21" monitor is possible now, although the smallest I've seen is 24" (which is the size of my Dell P2415Q.)

I've used match since it launched, and as far as I can tell it scans at least a portion of the song to try and identify it. It displays the song with the info you tagged it with though so proper tagging seems to be important if you want song info to display correctly on your devices that use Match.

Music that doesn't exist (or songs that do, but it doesn't match, which does happen sometimes) get uploaded and stored in your Match "locker". I believe the limit is 200 mb per song and 25,000 songs total.

Could you address my question from before at all? If I have a copy of Thriller by Michael Jackson that was downloaded a long time ago and contains no album art or additional data. Does iTunes Match take that file and replace it with an iTunes version? Additionally for a song like Thriller that has appeared on various albums of MJ's over the year (original album, greatest hits, movie soundtrack, etc.) how does iTunes Match tell you which one your song has paired with? Are you able to "replace" your original copy with any of the versions on the iTunes store?

Could you address my question from before at all? If I have a copy of Thriller by Michael Jackson that was downloaded a long time ago and contains no album art or additional data. Does iTunes Match take that file and replace it with an iTunes version? Additionally for a song like Thriller that has appeared on various albums of MJ's over the year (original album, greatest hits, movie soundtrack, etc.) how does iTunes Match tell you which one your song has paired with? Are you able to "replace" your original copy with any of the versions on the iTunes store?

I don't know exactly what happens if you have no tag data at in the files. I know if you don't have album art that it won't add it, but there is an option in iTunes to have it try and find album art for songs that don't have it. I can tell you that I have a few albums that I've uploaded where I've mixed up a few of the songs tags and Match seems to have found the proper song, but didn't fix the tags for me. In your example, I'm not really sure there is a way to know what version of the song it matched it to, and I know there isn't a way to select which version it matches to. Needless to say I'm having a hard time really describing what happens with Match because quite frankly it can be confusing at times.

I don't know exactly what happens if you have no tag data at in the files. I know if you don't have album art that it won't add it, but there is an option in iTunes to have it try and find album art for songs that don't have it. I can tell you that I have a few albums that I've uploaded where I've mixed up a few of the songs tags and Match seems to have found the proper song, but didn't fix the tags for me. In your example, I'm not really sure there is a way to know what version of the song it matched it to, and I know there isn't a way to select which version it matches to. Needless to say I'm having a hard time really describing what happens with Match because quite frankly it can be confusing at times.

Interesting. A lot of my old music from Napster days Ive gone back and manually added album art via just Google Image. I wonder what that would do to it. I kind of want to bite the bullet and try it out but in afraid I'll just waste $25.

Interesting. A lot of my old music from Napster days Ive gone back and manually added album art via just Google Image. I wonder what that would do to it. I kind of want to bite the bullet and try it out but in afraid I'll just waste $25.

I hear you. Match has enough quirks that I really feel like they should offer a 7 day trial just so people can trying it out. I've used it for a few years and it works for my needs, and it's like I know how to use it but it's hard to explain things without actually being able to sit at a computer and so someone. Maybe try checking out YouTube to see if they have any how to videos about it.

Shun

I'm thinking of creating a Windows partition through Bootcamp but I don't want to partition my drive.

Is it possible to install and boot it over a USB hard drive? Anytime I need it I just boot into the USB instead?

tr4656

I'm thinking of creating a Windows partition through Bootcamp but I don't want to partition my drive.

Is it possible to install and boot it over a USB hard drive? Anytime I need it I just boot into the USB instead?

I'm doing that for my Macbook.

tr4656

Is it just as easy as having OS X installed on a drive and partitioning that into Bootcamp? I already have OS X installed on an external.

Or is it more complicated than that?

Its actually more complicated because Bootcamp doesn't even support doing it via external. I personally used WinToUSB on a Windows computer but it is also possible to install directly to the external drive using the Windows installer. You just have to install the bootcamp drivers afterwards.

Shun

Its actually more complicated because Bootcamp doesn't even support doing it via external. I personally used WinToUSB on a Windows computer but it is also possible to install directly to the external drive using the Windows installer. You just have to install the bootcamp drivers afterwards.

So install the OS on a Windows computer as NTFS and get the Mac drivers through bootcamp and install?

Then I should be able to plug in and boot?

Lexxism

I'm currently thinking about getting Macbook Air (i5, 256 SSD, 8GB RAM) to replace my old Lenovo Y450. This is my first time having a Mac and have zero knowledge about it. Do you think it is worth for me to get one or should I just get a Windows instead?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm currently thinking about getting Macbook Air (i5, 256 SSD, 8GB RAM) to replace my old Lenovo Y450. This is my first time having a Mac and have zero knowledge about it. Do you think it is worth for me to get one or should I just get a Windows instead?
Are you familiar with OS X at all? Would you be annoyed if you got another Windows machine or are you actively looking to leave Windows behind? I'd spend some time with a Mac at an Apple Store if you can and see what it's like. Airs are great machines. I'd say jump in, but if you have any doubts you should try OS X out for a while. I know people who switched without even playing around first. Myself included. And that was back when OS 9 was the Mac OS and no one had used OS X yet. (Aside from the Public Beta which ended up being nothing like the final version)

Fuchsdh

I think it probably signals the death of the 13" non-Retina MBP with the optical drive and MagSafe v1, also. Took them long enough.

Yeah I'm surprised they kept it around in 2014 instead of discontinuing it with the second Haswell refresh. But people will buy cheap Macs no matter if they're a poor deal... it also meant that trying to find a cheap used non-retina 2012 model was difficult, so I ended up going with a refurb 2014 since a $300 price difference to get more RAM, faster graphics, hard drive and a better screen was too much to overlook.

It's amazing, people who bought a non retina macbook pro will still be able to sell them for a nice price despite the fact the hardware hasn't been updated since 2012.

On the flipside, I imagine once Apple does discontinue the non-retina, their used prices will take a hit.

Fuchsdh

It's amazing, people who bought a non retina macbook pro will still be able to sell them for a nice price despite the fact the hardware hasn't been updated since 2012.

On the flipside, I imagine once Apple does discontinue the non-retina, their used prices will take a hit.

Mac laptop depreciation is great for sellers, not so for buyers, but I can't understand how they still command high prices. I sold my pre-unibody Early 2008 MacBook Pro last year for $500 despite the thing being beaten up to hell and having a nonfunctioning optical drive.

Mac desktops are generally much better priced, and the old Mac Pro towers are incredibly cheap considering how many upgrades you can still do to them; they'll remain very useful machines for a few more years yet.

tr4656

Mac laptop depreciation is great for sellers, not so for buyers, but I can't understand how they still command high prices. I sold my pre-unibody Early 2008 MacBook Pro last year for $500 despite the thing being beaten up to hell and having a nonfunctioning optical drive.

Mac desktops are generally much better priced, and the old Mac Pro towers are incredibly cheap considering how many upgrades you can still do to them; they'll remain very useful machines for a few more years yet.

Yeah, especially if you just flash a video card.

tr4656

Not exactly sure about this new Macbook just yet. Price, new keyboard, and design looks good but that 1 port gets me every time.

Chris R

I'm going to guess they won't talk about it but will update it once more as a legacy machine.

EDIT: Yeah, they just announced it.

First time ever, you can select the RAM and CPU upgrades on the entry model 13" MBA. I don't need the extra storage so this is a nice option.

But then again, the 13" MBP is basically the same price with the beefier CPU and 8GB of RAM :(

Fuchsdh

First time ever, you can select the RAM and CPU upgrades on the entry model 13" MBA. I don't need the extra storage so this is a nice option.

But then again, the 13" MBP is basically the same price with the beefier CPU and 8GB of RAM :(

Well, that's always been the tradeoff with the Macbook Airs since they became the budget laptop. You trade power for cost and weight. For me, at least, it's never seemed worth it, even though in my current usage scenario I probably don't need more power than the Macbook Air offers. The retina screen was what pushed me to just get a refurb, and I don't regret it—being able to size a 13" screen to the size of my old 20" ACD is pretty amazing, and since I'm mostly doing typing the crisp text is great.

That said—the "default" HiDPI resolution on the 12" Macbook is tiny. 1152x720. You can at least bump it up to 1440x900 though.

It's amazing how people are complaining about this in the other threads—it's like they forgot how expensive and limited the original Macbook Air was (which also only came with a single USB, although it also had a micro-DVI port, was immensely underpowered compared to similar computers at the same price, also came with a single RAM config that was not upgradeable). By the time it replaces the old Macbook Airs, the Macbook will be a pretty capable machine in its own right—it's already a far better entry machine than the 1,1 Macbook Air was, with its incredibly slow spinning hard drive (and incredibly expensive SSD upgrade—64GB for $999.)

Another EDIT: They've still got the classic MBP in the store. And the fact that they didn't try and condense the Macbook Air SKUs I guess suggests it won't be as fast a transition to the retina models as the Pros went. So… I'm guessing two years before the Macbook Air is EOL'd?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
MacBook Pro
Originally released July 2014
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics

$979 refurbished seems like a pretty solid deal — down from $1099 yesterday. I don't think the extra $300+ is worth it for today's minor upgrades given that I'm coming from an 8-year-old MacBook.

I guess I just want one "Go for it!" since this is a decision I've been sitting on for years. Thoughts, anyone?

EDIT: Fuck it, I did it. $979 for a refurbished July '14 13" rMBP.

Can't believe my 2007 MacBook will finally be put out to pasture. Hopefully it lives forever as a back-up.

Fuchsdh

MacBook Pro
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
128GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics

$979 refurbished seems like a pretty solid deal — down from $1099 yesterday. I don't think the extra $300+ is worth it for today's minor upgrades given that I'm coming from an 8-year-old MacBook.

I guess I just want one "Go for it!" since this is a decision I've been sitting on for years. Thoughts, anyone?

That's basically the model I just got a month or two ago. Love it, no regrets. With my last laptop being a 2008 pre-unibody Pro I'm still amazed at the battery life.

TheRealGrampa

Neo Member
Just setting up my new macbook, does anyone have a list of programs i should install first to help secure it? adblockers, scanners that kind of thing? Thanks.

Just setting up my new macbook, does anyone have a list of programs i should install first to help secure it? adblockers, scanners that kind of thing? Thanks.

ClickToFlash or just don't install Flash.

Turn off Safari's idiotic 'open safe files automatically' setting, even if you don't plan on using Safari.

That's it. Can turn on the firewall and stealth mode and whole disk encryption as your level of paranoia demands (use all of them on my MBA).

Rudimentary (but sufficient) malware scanning is built in and hidden.

Helpful stuff: Caffeine.app to keep your Mac awake on demand.

Transmission is the best BitTorrent client. Don't pirate software-- the only reliable way to give your Mac the clap (there are other reasons not to, but this is the immediate practical one).

#waitforskylake

Quad-core 15" MBP with Iris Pro 7200 graphics and DDR4 RAM. <3 <3 <3

Hopefully .75 lbs lighter, with 2 hours more battery life over Haswell.

Really interested to see benchmarks and hear how the Iris 6100 performs on the new 13" MBP. You guys see the RAM got bumped to 1866MHz, for what that's (not) worth?

Fuchsdh

Quad-core 15" MBP with Iris Pro 7200 graphics and DDR4 RAM. <3 <3 <3

Hopefully .75 lbs lighter, with 2 hours more battery life over Haswell.

Really interested to see benchmarks and hear how the Iris 6100 performs on the new 13" MBP. You guys see the RAM got bumped to 1866MHz, for what that's (not) worth?

Eh, at least for my use cases the RAM speed doesn't make much of a difference compared to just having a lot of it.

TheRealGrampa

Neo Member
ClickToFlash or just don't install Flash.

Turn off Safari's idiotic 'open safe files automatically' setting, even if you don't plan on using Safari.

That's it. Can turn on the firewall and stealth mode and whole disk encryption as your level of paranoia demands (use all of them on my MBA).

Rudimentary (but sufficient) malware scanning is built in and hidden.

Helpful stuff: Caffeine.app to keep your Mac awake on demand.

Transmission is the best BitTorrent client. Don't pirate software-- the only reliable way to give your Mac the clap (there are other reasons not to, but this is the immediate practical one).

Excellent, thanks for that.

keezy

MacBook Pro
128GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics

EDIT: Fuck it, I did it. $979 for a refurbished July '14 13" rMBP.

Can't believe my 2007 MacBook will finally be put out to pasture. Hopefully it lives forever as a back-up.

Where did you find this at? I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on the 256GB model if the price is right.

Chris R

#waitforskylake

I'm going to test the 13" MBP touchpad tomorrow. If it isn't terrible I think I'll bite. My current MBA is a unusable piece of shit due to the terrible battery, but I can get a decent chunk of change for it from the Apple store making the upgrade a good deal.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Any news on new imacs? Beside the 5k the lineup is pretty old right?

My imac 2007 fanially gave up. Now I need a new one
I bet they were waiting for the new processors so only put that high-end Retina iMac out just to get it on the market while they waited. I don't even remember what their schedule was before the Intel delay. According to MRBG they didn't really have a schedule, but the last three updates (2012 update, the current models in 2013 and the Retina in 2014) were in the fall. So maybe the fall? But since there hasn't been an update in a while, they could easily update the whole line at any time. Maybe they want to wait and make the whole line Retina now? Or add a Retina to the 21" side?

I bet they were waiting for the new processors so only put that high-end Retina iMac out just to get it on the market while they waited. I don't even remember what their schedule was before the Intel delay. According to MRBG they didn't really have a schedule, but the last three updates (2012 update, the current models in 2013 and the Retina in 2014) were in the fall. So maybe the fall? But since there hasn't been an update in a while, they could easily update the whole line at any time. Maybe they want to wait and make the whole line Retina now? Or add a Retina to the 21" side?

I just don't wana buy one now just for a new lineup to come out a month or two down the line. I'm not leaning towards the 5k I think it's an overkill for my needs

Deku Tree

Thunderbolted: USB-C is our new connection overlord. Get used to it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/289...r-new-connection-overlord-get-used-to-it.html

Thunderbolt isn&#8217;t dead and USB-C doesn&#8217;t look like it&#8217;s going to kill it off soon. Indeed, it seems likely that USB-C will wind up replacing ports on consumer-leaning Macs, like future MacBooks (if 12-inch isn&#8217;t the only model), Mac minis, and iMacs, while the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro will probably retain Thunderbolt for the highest performance with external drives and other peripherals.

Ok so if I don't want to use crappy HDMI to plug my Mac Laptop into my external high resolution monitor then I need to buy a MacPro or a MacBook Pro or a MacMini.

I guess I'm staying away from this new MacBook for now. At least my 11" MBA still has TB...

Deku Tree

If Type C supports DP, then I'm sure a third party like monoprice or amazon will make a USB to DP adapter.

My question is then more if Type C supports a power + HDMI + USB adaptor and a power + VGA + USB adaptor...

...and Apple isn't making a power + DP + USB adaptor.... is it because USB-C doesn't support it? Or do they just not care about supporting DP without also being able to support TB? And/Or is it because they want to differentiate their future product lines between ones that support TB and ones that don't support TB?

Fuchsdh

My question is then more if Type C supports a power + HDMI + USB adaptor and a power + VGA + USB adaptor...

...and Apple isn't making a power + DP + USB adaptor.... is it because USB-C doesn't support it? Or do they just not care about supporting DP without also being able to support TB? And/Or is it because they want to differentiate their future product lines between ones that support TB and ones that don't support TB?

Any of those reasons? Type-C supports up to DP 1.2, with the spec used in the Macbook.

Deku Tree

Oh good I would probably only need DP 1.2 for a while anyway...

and not sure I would want to be running a 5K monitor with DP 1.3 off of a new MacBook anyway...

Top Bottom