• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

We really should just make this a Mac Hard/Software thread. The OS X threads exist but you probably have a better chance getting some answers via a single place.

I agree. A general all-things-Macintosh thread would make more sense than splitting them since the amount of posters isn't going to be that huge to begin with.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm for that. After all, the whole Macintosh experience is the whole widget. The computer and the software are one. Might as well discuss both here. But should it be third-party software too or just first-party?

GWX

I don't see a problem with discussing third-party apps to be honest. I agree with making this the ultimate Mac thread. I subscribe to this one, Yosemite's OT and OS X Apps, but the last one is pretty much dead and the Yosemite one pretty much only gets any kind of activity when system updates are released. I'd rather subscribe to only one instead of all three!

I don't see a problem with discussing third-party apps to be honest. I agree with making this the ultimate Mac thread. I subscribe to this one, Yosemite's OT and OS X Apps, but the last one is pretty much dead and the Yosemite one pretty much only gets any kind of activity when system updates are released. I'd rather subscribe to only one instead of all three!

agreed

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well we can just let the Yosemite thread ride off into the sunset and update the thread title for this one.

Let's do that then. There have been plenty of times I've wanted to ask a question but bumping the threads for it seemed wrong because no one uses them. Like when the "Addicted to Spelunky" thread was created and it slowly took over the role of Spelunky OT as the actual OT became stagnant. Even though I bumped it for a while before switching over completely.

So......

I've just started working for a software company and they are an Apple shop. Which is weird because they hired me for my extensive Windows/Unix/Linux skills.

I now have this 15 inch Macbook Pro and a Magic mouse and 2 Monitors and a keyboard and i literally have not touched a Mac since I was in the 7th grade and that was an Apple ][e. i have no bias against Apple or anything like that but it is a different environment for me.

If I ask too many dumbass questions please go easy on me.

Fuchsdh

So......

I've just started working for a software company and they are an Apple shop. Which is weird because they hired me for my extensive Windows/Unix/Linux skills.

I now have this 15 inch Macbook Pro and a Magic mouse and 2 Monitors and a keyboard and i literally have not touched a Mac since I was in the 7th grade and that was an Apple ][e. i have no bias against Apple or anything like that but it is a different environment for me.

If I ask too many dumbass questions please go easy on me.

Enjoy the new Mac, and pepper us away!

I'm kind of in the opposite corner, myself—my new graphics rig is going to be a HP Z840, so I'll be saying goodbye to my Mac Pro, and we're transitioning most of our towers to PC.

Luckily I'll still have a Mac mini I can use for email, Pages, and surfing. As long as I'm only in Windows for Adobe I can't be lost. I guess I'm going to be brushing up on my Windows troubleshooting abilities soon...

2. I've noticed that, unlike in Windows, the music Amazon is importing into iTunes is appearing also in the iTunes folder. Is it duplicating those files? Or are those folders just working as some sort of shortcut?

There's actually a setting in Preferences that determines what happens here.

0S8O3q2.png

I prefer to keep it this way, so that iTunes organises music for me and it's one less thing to worry about, but you can choose to disable it, where iTunes I believe will just link to the original file, rather than making a copy of it.

GWX

There's actually a setting in Preferences that determines what happens here.

0S8O3q2.png

I prefer to keep it this way, so that iTunes organises music for me and it's one less thing to worry about, but you can choose to disable it, where iTunes I believe will just link to the original file, rather than making a copy of it.

The best way to add music to iTunes is drag the music files into the "Add Automatically to iTunes", which is located inside iTunes Media. That way you get organized folders and no duplicated files in your disk.

Caronte

Yes, I'll keep it that way and delete the originals. I prefer to have everything in the same folder anyway.

Shai-Tan

Banned
So my brother gave me an external hard drive to back up his old drive (which is failing) and he has a mac. What file system should I use so that the external drive can be read on both mac and windows without issues? Is exFAT correct? I understand newer mac can read and write NTFS (?) but some of his friends he would plug the drive into are still running older versions of OS X. I just want to make it maximally compatible while still supporting large file sizes, windows, etc. He has it formatted FAT32 at the moment but his old drive has a bunch of huge studio recordings on it (>4gb)

Fuchsdh

So my brother gave me an external hard drive to back up his old drive (which is failing) and he has a mac. What file system should I use so that the external drive can be read on both mac and windows without issues? Is exFAT correct? I understand newer mac can read and write NTFS (?) but some of his friends he would plug the drive into are still running older versions of OS X. I just want to make it maximally compatible while still supporting large file sizes, windows, etc. He has it formatted FAT32 at the moment but his old drive has a bunch of huge studio recordings on it (>4gb)

ExFAT is compatible with later Windows XP versions and later Snow Leopard versions, so it's the best option for large hard drives.''

Not sure why this is happening, but on startup the disc tray on my Mac Pro now automatically opens.

Any ideas?

Disconnect any mice or keyboards and plug them back in, and double-check your startup disc settings in System Prefs—it might not be set to your boot drive for whatever reason. I've heard people who had Wacom tablets that essentially acted as the hold-mouse-button action on startup, so the computer was trying to boot to the disc drive.

Pretty locked in on keeping my 15" Late 2013 rMBP as a desktop and keep the Late 2014 13" rMPB for when I am out of the house.

Does anyone else on here own two macbook pros because of this?

Pretty locked in on keeping my 15" Late 2013 rMBP as a desktop and keep the Late 2014 13" rMPB for when I am out of the house.

Does anyone else on here own two macbook pros because of this?

I look forward to the day when I can work full time again (studying full time, currently) where having two Macs is an option, heh.

I would find it hard to justify two laptops. I guess if you already had the 15, then got the 13 for portability that makes sense, but if I was planning to have one machine stationary I think I'd go for am iMac or other desktop machine just because I'd get more for the money when sacrificing portability.

Xun

ExFAT is compatible with later Windows XP versions and later Snow Leopard versions, so it's the best option for large hard drives.''

Disconnect any mice or keyboards and plug them back in, and double-check your startup disc settings in System Prefs—it might not be set to your boot drive for whatever reason. I've heard people who had Wacom tablets that essentially acted as the hold-mouse-button action on startup, so the computer was trying to boot to the disc drive.
Ah! This would be it.

I've had my tablet plugged in the past couple of days, but weirdly I didn't think it could be that causing it.

Thanks very much.

Caronte

I was wondering why Safari on my Mac was opening some websites (like Wikipedia) in mobile view, then I realized: it's because of the links in my favorites from the iPad. I'm guessing I'll have to turn off iCloud syncronization for Safari, because I don't want to have the same website two times in my favorites so I can choose the right one depending on the device. Unless I'm missing some obvious solution?

Edit: I'm silly, I'll answer myself. You can choose a different folder for Favorites as default, so all I need to do is have one for mobile and one for my Mac.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was wondering why Safari on my Mac was opening some websites (like Wikipedia) in mobile view, then I realized: it's because of the links in my favorites from the iPad. I'm guessing I'll have to turn off iCloud syncronization for Safari, because I don't want to have the same website two times in my favorites so I can choose the right one depending on the device. Unless I'm missing some obvious solution?

Edit: I'm silly, I'll answer myself. You can choose a different folder for Favorites as default, so all I need to do is have one for mobile and one for my Mac.
Seems like this should be a problem solved by websites properly switching back and forth depending on the device.

cjp

R.E: combined Mac hardware and software, we could go one better and just have a catch all Apple thread?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
R.E: combined Mac hardware and software, we could go one better and just have a catch all Apple thread?
I don't like this idea, personally; including iOS and other devices would make the scope too broad, I think.

Heysoos

Ok so on my gaming desktop whenever I open a picture off of my external hard drive, I can click next on Windows Photo Viewer and automatically move on to the next one without having to go back to the hard drive. How do I do that on my mac?

3N16MA

Banned
I agree. A general all-things-Macintosh thread would make more sense than splitting them since the amount of posters isn't going to be that huge to begin with.

I'm for that. After all, the whole Macintosh experience is the whole widget. The computer and the software are one. Might as well discuss both here. But should it be third-party software too or just first-party?

Well we can just let the Yosemite thread ride off into the sunset and update the thread title for this one.

Let's do that then. There have been plenty of times I've wanted to ask a question but bumping the threads for it seemed wrong because no one uses them. Like when the "Addicted to Spelunky" thread was created and it slowly took over the role of Spelunky OT as the actual OT became stagnant. Even though I bumped it for a while before switching over completely.

Yes it's better to just have one thread for Mac stuff. Sometimes people like to make OTs just to do it.

I can ask a mod to have the title changed.

gokieks

Ok so on my gaming desktop whenever I open a picture off of my external hard drive, I can click next on Windows Photo Viewer and automatically move on to the next one without having to go back to the hard drive. How do I do that on my mac?

Use an image viewer that will let you traverse a directory, which should be most of them. I'm partial to Xee3, though it isn't free. Alternatively, if you like Preview, you can select all the files at once and open in Preview, and that will let you move between them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can select the ones you want and then either:
A) like mentioned above, hit space to QuickLook them and press the arrows to switch between them (And go in fullscreen QL and use the Play button to do a slideshow) or
B) double-click them to open Preview and do the same thing. (It also has a slideshow.)

In both cases, you can pause the slideshow and just switch manually.

giga

The OS (iOS 8) or hardware specific (iPhone 6) threads never seem to do well, so I'm in favor of broader platform ones, like Mac OT and iPhone OT.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Shouldn't we still keep official threads for OS releases separate anyway since they're catch-alls for the issues they have. Leave this thread for general stuff having to do with the system overall.

giga

Shouldn't we still keep official threads for OS releases separate anyway since they're catch-alls for the issues they have. Leave this thread for general stuff having to do with the system overall.
That's just confusing. I can guarantee people will post things about OS X Death Valley in this thread too.

Two Words

Is there any way to move the window buttons from the left to right? I plan to get a Mac and run Parallels. I don't want to have to switch my interface mode eveytime I flip over.

mrkgoo

This won't really change anything, people will use this thread and also make new threads. But at least there's a new thread title.

It's all good.

Psykotik

am i going to run into problems with this setup?

i have an old mid 2009 13 inch macbookpro running the latest version of yosemite.

yesterday, i bought a 256gb transcend ssd and two 4gb ram sticks (8gb in total).

i used disk utility to clone the existing hdd to the new ssd.

i swapped out the existing ram with the two 4gb sticks and swapped out the old hdd with the new ssd.

everything seems to work fine and it boots up like normal. however i've been experiencing crashes every now and then usually while playing the sims 4. the screen starts flickering and it boots me back to the mac user login screen.

this has happened a few times now. never happened before until after i upgraded.

tldr; i upgraded my ram and switched to a ssd. now experience random crashes to the mac login screen. is this because of the upgrades somehow? anything i can do to prevent the crashes?

Deku Tree

am i going to run into problems with this setup?

i have an old mid 2009 13 inch macbookpro running the latest version of yosemite.

yesterday, i bought a 256gb transcend ssd and two 4gb ram sticks (8gb in total).

i used disk utility to clone the existing hdd to the new ssd.

i swapped out the existing ram with the two 4gb sticks and swapped out the old hdd with the new ssd.

everything seems to work fine and it boots up like normal. however i've been experiencing crashes every now and then usually while playing the sims 4. the screen starts flickering and it boots me back to the mac user login screen.

this has happened a few times now. never happened before until after i upgraded.

tldr; i upgraded my ram and switched to a ssd. now experience random crashes to the mac login screen. is this because of the upgrades somehow? anything i can do to prevent the crashes?

Could be any of that... could be bad ram. you could swap back in the old ram and see if it stops. in any case it sounds like yes it has to do with the upgrades somehow if it wasn't happening before and it is happening now. it could be corrupted files during the hdd to sad clone too i guess.

Top Bottom