• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

It remains to be seen if you *can*. If there aren't enough PCIe lanes assigned it may be restricted to 2560x1600 output.

Yeah I'm not expecting notebooks to get non-mirroring 4K output for a while, even with Thunderbolt 3. There's a reason those Xeons are more expensive, and massive amounts of PCI lanes are one of them.

gokieks

It remains to be seen if you *can*. If there aren't enough PCIe lanes assigned it may be restricted to 2560x1600 output.

PCIe lanes bandwidth are for moving data between system RAM and video RAM, and has nearly nothing to do with what resolutions you can drive (unless you are so bandwidth starved that the framebuffer can't be updated, but that would be extremely unlikely to the point of being nearly impossible). That only depends on bandwidth between the output of the display adapter and the input of the monitor, and DP 1.3 does have enough for 5120x2880 at 60Hz.

Trying to see if I should wait for a Broadwell mini or get a Haswell mini and then maybe get a Skylake mini after I sell the Haswell mini for it.

Alchemy

So whats the chance of a USB-C Apple Display coming out this year? My original plan for an office set up was a Thunderbolt display with a new MacBook Pro, was kinda tempted to grab the display now but a USB-C one sounds pretty awesome...

tr4656

I tried that force touch trackpad today at the Apple Store. I really couldn't tell that the trackpad doesn't move and it just feels pretty solid. the pressure sensitive features were also pretty cool.

gimmmick

Why in almost every forum I read, there is someone that says "Wait for skylake RMBP upgrade". Anyone can explain and shred some light on this? (I'm a complete noob when it comes to mac releases).

I'm in the market for a new comp (I own a 15' mid 2010 mbp). I'm going to check out the 13' rmbp at my local apple store this week.

Deku Tree

Why in almost every forum I read, there is someone that says "Wait for skylake RMBP upgrade". Anyone can explain and shred some light on this? (I'm a complete noob when it comes to mac releases).

I'm in the market for a new comp (I own a 15' mid 2010 mbp). I'm going to check out the 13' rmbp at my local apple store this week.

The specs sound legit.
People like to recommend it as if Intel is not going to delay it.
People always say keep waiting for the next thing.

Fuchsdh

The specs sound legit.
People like to recommend it as if Intel is not going to delay it.
People always say keep waiting for the next thing.

Yep. It's fun to do, but when it comes to people prevaricating around buying decisions it always strikes me as stupid. Unless you're reliably a month away from a new model, just buy what you need. If you can spend so much time frittering about when to buy, that just tells me you don't really need it anyhow.

Currently I have a 15" rMBP @ 2.3ghz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 750m

A few days ago I purchased a 2014 13" rMBP w/ 2.6ghz i5 Processor, 8GB RAM, and I am pretty impressed with how well it handles what I need to do, while just at 50-60% the speed when doing any processor intensive tasks.

I did this because I will now be doing a lot more travel, flying almost 2x/month and I want to travel as light as I can.

For work I am editing about 2 hours of video each week, without a lot of effects, just chopping it up and exporting into multiple formats in Premiere (which the 13" handles just fine). Even FCX editing is silky smooth. That is about as intense of work I do. Aside from that I might do 2-3 big video projects a year which are 7-8 hours of video broken up into 90-120 minute projects with light effects work.

I guess my question is, do you think it is worth the lighter weight/smaller size along with the reduced speed of the 13" rMPB vs the 15" which is pretty overkill for me. I love the lighter weight/size of the 13" as well as the better battery life.

At first I was going to keep both, but it seems like the 13" will be fine for what I need it to do and then I can always consider the next revision of the 15"

tr4656

A few days ago I purchased a 2014 13" rMBP w/ 2.6ghz i5 Processor, 8GB RAM, and I am pretty impressed with how well it handles what I need to do, while just at 50-60% the speed when doing any processor intensive tasks.

I did this because I will now be doing a lot more travel, flying almost 2x/month and I want to travel as light as I can.

For work I am editing about 2 hours of video each week, without a lot of effects, just chopping it up and exporting into multiple formats in Premiere (which the 13" handles just fine). Even FCX editing is silky smooth. That is about as intense of work I do. Aside from that I might do 2-3 big video projects a year which are 7-8 hours of video broken up into 90-120 minute projects with light effects work.

I guess my question is, do you think it is worth the lighter weight/smaller size along with the reduced speed of the 13" rMPB vs the 15" which is pretty overkill for me. I love the lighter weight/size of the 13" as well as the better battery life.

At first I was going to keep both, but it seems like the 13" will be fine for what I need it to do and then I can always consider the next revision of the 15"

If the 15" is overkill, then I would rather take the 13" especially considering you plan to travel.

Deku Tree

You own both. Are you planing to sell one ASAP? If not why not just try out the 13" on your next trip and see how it feels?

Anyone ever figure out how to block Twitch ads in Safari using ABP or uBlock?

Thanks to that browser thread in OT I switched back to Safari from Chrome and I'm liking how much smoother it is since the last time I tried it but not getting rid of Twitch ads is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks.

EmiPrime

Anyone ever figure out how to block Twitch ads in Safari using ABP or uBlock?

Thanks to that browser thread in OT I switched back to Safari from Chrome and I'm liking how much smoother it is since the last time I tried it but not getting rid of Twitch ads is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks.

You can't. It's a Safari limitation.

Unfortunately Safari's extension API doesn't let us block requests initiated by Flash and other third-party plugins. And since Safari's extension API hasn't improved since Safari 5.1, chances that this will change anytime soon are very small. But we were at least able to make Adblock Plus for Safari block video ads on YouTube, by rewriting the HTML that initializes the player. However that approach won't work for Twitch and most other video streaming websites. But you can use Firefox, Chrome or Opera with Adblock Plus in order to block those ads.

If the 15" is overkill, then I would rather take the 13" especially considering you plan to travel.

You own both. Are you planing to sell one ASAP? If not why not just try out the 13" on your next trip and see how it feels?

Just looking to downsize with all the travel. The more I have compared them the last few days the 15" isn't that much heavier or that much wider. Might be stupid to go to the 13".

Fuchsdh

An extra pound is a lot considering the weight of the machine.

Or it isn't. That's what I think is so interesting about the Macbook/Macbook Air/Macbook Pro divide.

For some people having the lightest damn thing possible really does trump everything else, just like some people walk around with those brick HP mobile workstations that are larger than anything Apple was putting out circa Titanium PowerBooks.

mrkgoo

Had a chance to play with the new force click trackpad.

It's incredible. The feedback feels absolutely like a click on the old trackpads. It even has a second click to register for the deep click - like you can click then press harder for a second click.

It actually blows my mind.

GWX

It's incredible. The feedback feels absolutely like a click on the old trackpads. It even has a second click to register for the deep click - like you can click then press harder for a second click.

I really want a Force Touch Magic Trackpad for my mini. C'mon Apple, deliver!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I thought it sounded like a gimmick at first, but it really is awesome. The average person is not even going to realize that there are no moving parts involved at all.

What consistently breaks my brain is the fact that you can force click with one finger, or three, but not two. With how real the effect feels, it just, like, doesn't make sense.

Two Words

Iris Pro 7200 with 128MB of L4 Cache and DDR4 RAM.

We're at a point where Apple could be crazy if they wanted to and no longer include dedicated GPUs, or it could be another couple of generations.

That wouldn't be a very Pro move if they ended up putting in a weaker GPU than their older model.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

We're at a point where Apple could be crazy if they wanted to and no longer include dedicated GPUs, or it could be another couple of generations.
I won't even mind if my next MBP doesn't have a dGPU as long as I have a dedicated gaming PC by that point. (Which I most likely will) It's really the only reason I bought the highest end rMBP. Next time I might go a little lower end and save money. But I still wanted the quad-core so going one step higher just to get the dGPU was a no-brainer.

I won't even mind if my next MBP doesn't have a dGPU as long as I have a dedicated gaming PC by that point. (Which I most likely will) It's really the only reason I bought the highest end rMBP. Next time I might go a little lower end and save money. But I still wanted the quad-core so going one step higher just to get the dGPU was a no-brainer.

The thing is, I don't know if Maxwell can do enough to impress me from a performance per watt standpoint, unless it goes 16nm FinFet by this fall. Meanwhile, Intel's GPU performance is going to be like, what, 60-80% better than Haswell's, which was already pretty good?

The real winners with Skylake, however, are going to be the 13" MBPs with the 64MB L4 cache. I would imagine with Skylake, we're finally going to see 13" GUI GPU performance catch up with the screen.

Fuchsdh

...and Abed is the reason I say they keep a dGPU option for at least a few more generations (as long as they have the current form factor.) A discrete GPU is a good option for pushing people to a higher model if they need it, raising that average selling price.

Caronte

Hi guys. I've bought a new iMac (I've never had a Mac before). It doesn't make any sound except a low "rrrrr" which I assume could be the hard drive (I picked Fusion Drive). I'm guessing this is normal? I ask because I don't know if it should make some fan noise too or something.

On a side note (sorry that this isn't about hardware). Is it ok to use Skype on a Mac? I've read some mixed things.

Hi guys. I've bought a new iMac (I've never had a Mac before). It doesn't make any sound except a low "rrrrr" which I assume could be the hard drive (I picked Fusion Drive). I'm guessing this is normal? I ask because I don't know if it should make some fan noise too or something.

On a side note (sorry that this isn't about hardware). Is it ok to use Skype on a Mac? I've read some mixed things.

Should be quiet for most usage. My work 2013 iMac at work never really makes much noise unless I'm pushing it pretty hard.

As for Skype, not sure why it wouldn't be okay to use.

bionic77

Skype seems to work decently on my mac or iPhone. What did you hear about it?

And your mac should not make a peep. I have a iMac with the fusion drive and it doesn't make any noise. I would take it in to get it looked at (which already sounds like a huge pain in the ass).

I read some guy saying it made too many connections or something weird like that. But I guess that would only matter if it was a laptop because of battery issues.

Thanks for the answer, by the way.

Nah don't worry about it. I've been using it for years on Linux, Mac, and Windows, and I've never really had any problems with it in terms of heavy battery usage. Enjoy your Mac :)

Caronte

And your mac should not make a peep. I have a iMac with the fusion drive and it doesn't make any noise. I would take it in to get it looked at (which already sounds like a huge pain in the ass).

Nah, it doesn't bother me or anything and I don't have an Apple Store nearby. I bought it online. I have AppleCare anyway so if it breaks or whatever I'm covered.

Thanks.

bionic77

Nah, it doesn't bother me or anything and I don't have an Apple Store nearby. I bought it online. I have AppleCare anyway so if it breaks or whatever I'm covered.

Thanks.
If you are not going to take it in i would suggest upgrading your applecare for another year or two beyond the year they give you just in case.

Caronte

If you are not going to take it in i would suggest upgrading your applecare for another year or two beyond the year they give you just in case.

I picked the 3 year option. I think it's the only one available in Europe since we have 2 years of warranty by law.

Edit: Yep, I just looked at the letter they sent to me. I'm covered until March 8 2018.

bionic77

I picked the 3 year option. I think it's the only one available in Europe since we have 2 years of warranty by law.

Edit: Yep, I just looked at the letter they sent to me. I'm covered until March 8 2018.
In the US you get one year for free.

If you purchase Applecare it gives you 2 additional years (which ends up being 3 years).

Your making too many assumptions about how many "mini" refreshes apple is going to be coming out with IMO.

You're probably right. Don't get me wrong... 16 GB of RAM and a 256 GB PCIe SSD available as options on the late 2014 Haswell mini would be a welcome improvement over my current 128 GB Samsung 470 and 8 GB memory. I could upgrade to 16 GB on my current mini if I wanted to.

...and Abed is the reason I say they keep a dGPU option for at least a few more generations (as long as they have the current form factor.) A discrete GPU is a good option for pushing people to a higher model if they need it, raising that average selling price.

Ha, great point. Though by this fall/next Spring, we're really going to be due for the prices of the Retina MBPs to fall back to normal Pro values. We'll see if that happens this time around.

An extra pound is a lot considering the weight of the machine.

Or it isn't. That's what I think is so interesting about the Macbook/Macbook Air/Macbook Pro divide.

For some people having the lightest damn thing possible really does trump everything else, just like some people walk around with those brick HP mobile workstations that are larger than anything Apple was putting out circa Titanium PowerBooks.

It isn't just the extra lb, but the space it takes up in my carry on/backpack. Also it is weird but I feel like I just has a lot less privacy when using the 15" in an airport.

Now I am considering just keeping both and using the 13" while I am traveling/out of the house and making the 15" more of a desktop/mobile workstation when needed. $1200 is a lot for convince though...

Can someone help

I have a busted iPhone screen that still connects to the computer.

I need a program that will mirror the screen onto my Mac. I don't have Yosemite so I can't do the Quicktime mirroring.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well seeing as by then I'll probably have a gaming PC and still have a powerful iMac, I'll probably switch back to a lower end again. Either a 13" Retina or whatever MacBook or Air is good at the time.

kennah

Can someone help

I have a busted iPhone screen that still connects to the computer.

I need a program that will mirror the screen onto my Mac. I don't have Yosemite so I can't do the Quicktime mirroring.
You'd still need to be able to get at the screen in the first place to set up the mirror.

Bought a mac mini with 16GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. First time switcher from PC/Windows.

Questions:

1. What external drive should I get? 2TB should be plenty.

2. Magic Mouse or Trackpad? Is the trackpad all that?

3. Is there any essential software I need to get?

tr4656

Bought a mac mini with 16GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. First time switcher from PC/Windows.

Questions:

1. What external drive should I get? 2TB should be plenty.

2. Magic Mouse or Trackpad? Is the trackpad all that?

3. Is there any essential software I need to get?

2. Yes, Magic Trackpad is awesome with gestures.
3. Launchbar or Alfred and mpv.

Caronte

Is there a Mac Software thread? I ask so I don't annoy you with my noobie questions.

I have a couple:

1. I'm downloading my digital music from iTunes Store and Amazon. What I don't really get is why only the Amazon music is showing in the "All my files" tab in the Finder, but the iTunes music is not. Is it disabled by default or something?

2. I've noticed that, unlike in Windows, the music Amazon is importing into iTunes is appearing also in the iTunes folder. Is it duplicating those files? Or are those folders just working as some sort of shortcut?

Mindwipe

Is there a Mac Software thread? I ask so I don't annoy you with my noobie questions.

I have a couple:

1. I'm downloading my digital music from iTunes Store and Amazon. What I don't really get is why only the Amazon music is showing in the "All my files" tab in the Finder, but the iTunes music is not. Is it disabled by default or something?

2. I've noticed that, unlike in Windows, the music Amazon is importing into iTunes is appearing also in the iTunes folder. Is it duplicating those files? Or are those folders just working as some sort of shortcut?

1. Yeah, I think the iTunes library folder isn't indexed by default.

2. They're duplicates. I delete the originals after that.

Fuchsdh

I have a couple:

We really should just make this a Mac Hard/Software thread. The OS X threads exist but you probably have a better chance getting some answers via a single place.

Top Bottom