• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Anyone fucksing with the Thunderbolt Display? The docking of the MBP seems boss.

I don't have it but I agree on the docking looking pretty awesome. I heard there were some quirks related to shutting the laptop lid but those may have been resolved by now.

bionic77

Anyone have this issue with a MBP from the last few years.

I have a 2010 15" MBP. I upgraded the ram to 8GB and the HD to a SSD and since then the battery life while on sleep really sucks. It will go through like 15% in a day when left in sleep. The battery life when it is open is amazing, but why does it suck so much when in sleep? I my old MBP (ancient model from 2006), the sleep battery life was much better.

Is there any way to fix this? Keep in mind I have turned off HD sleep and I have disabled the ram copying itself to the HD right before the battery fails. I don't see how they would dramatically impact battery life that much, but I might just start turning the computer off instead of putting it to sleep.

Tron 2.0

Like tipping and circumcision, there is no end to the debate regarding what's best for battery health but I thought I'd give this a shot:

I'm going on vacation for a week and not taking my MacBook (old school with a removable battery) with me.

Do I keep it plugged in while I'm away? Should I keep the battery in or take it out?

I was planning on keeping it plugged in with the battery in, but the battery is rather old and I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

Suggestions?

Chris R

Like tipping and circumcision, there is no end to the debate regarding what's best for battery health but I thought I'd give this a shot:

I'm going on vacation for a week and not taking my MacBook (old school with a removable battery) with me.

Do I keep it plugged in while I'm away? Should I keep the battery in or take it out?

I was planning on keeping it plugged in with the battery in, but the battery is rather old and I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

Suggestions?

I wouldn't leave it plugged in for a week, but I think the "long term" storage solution is to drain the battery to 50% and then remove it. At least that is what Apple recommends.

Tron 2.0

I wouldn't leave it plugged in for a week, but I think the "long term" storage solution is to drain the battery to 50% and then remove it. At least that is what Apple recommends.
They do, but if you're going to be leaving it in storage for six months or more:

If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you store the battery with a 50% charge.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I guess the same would probably apply for a week. What I'm worried about is since my battery is old and not at peak health it will discharge completely and be unusable.

Jasoco

Banned

Suggestions?
Apple says don't do it, but I'm pretty sure it's just lawyer speak to cover their asses. Just remember, it's actually worse to store a charged battery out of the computer. They still lose charge and it hurts their "memory" so you actually wear down the capacity faster the longer it stays out. It's an old computer. How much does it hold now?

Tron 2.0

Apple says don't do it, but I'm pretty sure it's just lawyer speak to cover their asses. Just remember, it's actually worse to store a charged battery out of the computer. They still lose charge and it hurts their "memory" so you actually wear down the capacity faster the longer it stays out. It's an old computer. How much does it hold now?
I can usually get about two hours out of it. iStat says 81% health.

So are you recommending I store it in the MacBook, not plugged in, at 50% life?

Quick question: if I buy Applecare is it tied to my machine or to myself?
I ask as I'm on the verge of buying it now but wondering what would happen if I upgraded when Apple refreshes the MacBooks...?

Kimosabae

Banned
All my Apple stuff is giving me problems at the same time. This is insane.

My 2008 Intel Duo Cor Black MB won't recognize/charge batteries anymore. After doing some research, it seems like a ton of people with this model are currently having the same problem. Anyone got ideas?

Also, what's Apple's trade-in policy like?

mf.luder

The only trade in policy is online. Apple.com/recycling I think. Send your shit in and they give you some dollars for it. I think in gift card form. Better off going Craigslist/kijiji.

picked up an 11" macbook air today as a work computer, and i'm pretty happy with my decision. i felt like most of the new features of lion (gestures, fullscreen, launchpad etc) were a bit of a non-event on my imac, and they make a lot more sense on this machine. i thought it might be too small after playing with it next to the 13" in shops a few times, but after spending an evening with it i don't think i'd want it to be any bigger.

i'm going to try and avoid installing flash on it - tried using youtube in html5 mode (safari), but the videos didn't work. any ideas? i downloaded chrome, which i guess works as a stopgap.

vDaedalus

Hey guys, I'd like to ask for a MacBook Pro for Christmas, but am unsure which one to ask for. Basically, I'd be using it for things like Final Cut and InDesign. I don't need anything that can run the programs insanely fast, but rather decently well. (if that makes sense) What would you guys recommend?

Hey guys, I'd like to ask for a MacBook Pro for Christmas, but am unsure which one to ask for. Basically, I'd be using it for things like Final Cut and InDesign. I don't need anything that can run the programs insanely fast, but rather decently well. (if that makes sense) What would you guys recommend?

If you are going for video and graphics programs, go for the 15" or higher. The two extra cores will help out a lot.

Jasoco

Banned
So the local Apple Authorized Retailer is out of 13" Air's completely. Only 11" in stock. And the closest Apple Stores are a ways away and I just don't have time to go this week. Guess I won't be getting one until next at the earliest. Or possibly Friday if I can get myself up to the Lehigh Valley Mall since they'll be open until 11, but I don't realllllly want to go to a mall on Black Friday. So I'll wait. lol

mf.luder

Just want to say that my G4 iMac arrived and I'm loving every minute of it. There is a hair line crack on the left side of the screen but the positives well out way that by any means. I'll take a snap in a bit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
picked up an 11" macbook air today as a work computer, and i'm pretty happy with my decision. i felt like most of the new features of lion (gestures, fullscreen, launchpad etc) were a bit of a non-event on my imac, and they make a lot more sense on this machine. i thought it might be too small after playing with it next to the 13" in shops a few times, but after spending an evening with it i don't think i'd want it to be any bigger.

i'm going to try and avoid installing flash on it - tried using youtube in html5 mode (safari), but the videos didn't work. any ideas? i downloaded chrome, which i guess works as a stopgap.

Good man. 11" is the superior machine.

Regarding flash, you may need to enable this on youtube first: www.youtube.com/html5

I haven't installed flash on my MBA.

Debating about getting my wife a shell for her new MacBook Pro. The aluminum is super sexy, but she does not baby her stuff like I do, and I know she will be very protective of it and perhaps treat it better than her last few computers.

Does anyone here use the shells on their MacBook's or no? I am on the fence. She is the type to get cases for all her phones and iPods, and this will be the first laptop she is getting that she will probably want one.

Of course, I could just get it and keep the receipt in case she wants to take it back.

Viewt

Debating about getting my wife a shell for her new MacBook Pro. The aluminum is super sexy, but she does not baby her stuff like I do, and I know she will be very protective of it and perhaps treat it better than her last few computers.

Does anyone here use the shells on their MacBook's or no? I am on the fence. She is the type to get cases for all her phones and iPods, and this will be the first laptop she is getting that she will probably want one.

Of course, I could just get it and keep the receipt in case she wants to take it back.

I have a microfiber sleeve that I use for my MBP for when I'm transporting it. Otherwise, I leave it bare. I think that's a good method - most, if any issues with damage come when I'm on the go and I accidentally hit something with my bag.

I have a microfiber sleeve that I use for my MBP for when I'm transporting it. Otherwise, I leave it bare. I think that's a good method - most, if any issues with damage come when I'm on the go and I accidentally hit something with my bag.

Might go that route then. She throws her current PC laptop in her bookbag, so a neoprene sleeve might help. She has talked about whenever she buys a Macbook next year she will baby it more than her last few laptops. Little does she know that I already got her one.

mj1108

I've joined the masses.... Got my 13" Macbook Air today (1.7ghz i5/128 gigs) from Best Buy for $1,099 (Wednesday is the last day of the sale...that's $200 off). Every other store was out in the area so I ended up having to drive 70 miles to pick it up.

So far, VERY impressed. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!! I think I'm going to turn my current desktop into a media server and just use the MBA exclusively as a replacement since I do so much work in the cloud. I wish I would have bought this earlier, but thankful I was able to wait until a hell of a deal showed up.

The big question is: sleeves/cases. What is everyone using that they recommend?

edit: Just checked and I have the Samsung SSD! Woohoo!

markatisu

Finally replaced my workhorse G4 from about 10 years ago and my Macbook from 2008 with a brand spanking new Mac Mini

Could not be happier, the lack of superdrive irritated me at first but the dedicated video card and overall speed of the machine compensate.

Good man. 11" is the superior machine.

Regarding flash, you may need to enable this on youtube first: www.youtube.com/html5

I haven't installed flash on my MBA.

yeah, i tried that first of all and it says i'm in the beta, but 90% of videos tell me to upgrade my flash player. oh well! i can always use just chrome.

i also like how running chrome in fullscreen mode literally turns the MBA into a chromebook.

http://www.tested.com/news/is-it-practical-to-disable-flash-to-improve-laptop-battery-life/1280/

after using it all day, i can say that i definitely made the right choice with the 11". maybe i wouldn't want it as my only computer, but it's the perfect portable writing machine, which is what i bought it for. just a beautiful device, with no space wasted and almost no room to grow into (could use an SD card slot, but i bought a little white USB adapter with a :3 face on it today so it's all good).

The 11" is madness...feels too much like the Vaio P super-ultra-micro...but yeah, if you need a writing machine, it's hard to beat. (I do wish they could license Thinkpad keyboards, but...)

Jasoco

Banned
I just keep mine on a shelf for display. There's not much you can do with them anymore. Maybe a simple personal web server. Look on eBay and sell it for a hundred or so if you want.

My uncle gave me his old iMac G3 last night, but I don't really know what to do with it.

The big problem is that there isn't a modern web browser that runs on them; if it was a latter one, you can install 10.4 on it and get some use of it.

I was prepping my old G3 to give it away and Google crashes Safari. :(

I installed Camino, but even that doesn't work well.

cory.

Banned
The big problem is that there isn't a modern web browser that runs on them; if it was a latter one, you can install 10.4 on it and get some use of it.

I was prepping my old G3 to give it away and Google crashes Safari. :(

I installed Camino, but even that doesn't work well.
I got Firefox 2 running, a little limited but it's not crashing or anything.
I tried installing 10.4 but it needs a firmware update, which requires something with OS 9.
(It's a Summer 2000 Special Edition to be specific)

Jasoco

Banned
Juuust about to pull the trigger on a base model 13" Air. If I had only a few hundred more I'd go for the maxed out 13" with the i7, but this would do... Just need to decide to commit.

I mean, it's $101 off! That basically covers both tax and shipping if I do one of the non-free options. (I mean I'd love to have it by the beginning of next week, presumably Monday, if I do 1-day shipping for $22.)

Oh boy... oh boy...

Just sad that it doesn't have in-store pick-up right now. Would love to just go to the Apple Store and get it myself. Oh well, I guess I could wait the weekend.

Edit: And I have now pulled the trigger. I wish Saturday counted as a Business Day, or that Black Friday was a Thursday. Question. With 1-day shipping placed on Friday night at 10PM Eastern, will the order be at least processed on Saturday even if it doesn't fly out until Monday? Or will the order sit until Monday and arrive Tuesday?

Pulled the trigger and bought a 13" base Air from the Apple Store today. Currently puzzling my way through OSX. Useful to do the setup in-store since that makes sure you don't get any trouble units and, quite frankly, it's helpful to know some of the basic touchpad gestures the staff showed.

For the "Black Friday" sales (can't treat it as seriously in Canada) the store was definitely prepared for war. They had a ground-floor special lineup for anybody wanting to buy any of the sale hardware - literally just stacks of iPhones and laptops. Their receipt printer was continuously busted.

(They offered me the maxed out system while in line, but $400 for i7+ a bigger SSD just wasn't enough for the money.)

Jasoco, sadly I'm guessing Tuesday. I could be wrong but it just seems really unlikely they'll ship Saturday...

Jasoco

Banned
I figured it would be Tuesday. At least it'll arrive next week! I can't wait! Really wish they allowed the base 13" to customize the processor to an i7. I mean, you can only get the i7 if you pay $450 extra to get a 256GB SSD. Would rather just get the extra processing and forget the space.

Oh well. I can't wait!

njean777

Juuust about to pull the trigger on a base model 13" Air. If I had only a few hundred more I'd go for the maxed out 13" with the i7, but this would do... Just need to decide to commit.

I mean, it's $101 off! That basically covers both tax and shipping if I do one of the non-free options. (I mean I'd love to have it by the beginning of next week, presumably Monday, if I do 1-day shipping for $22.)

Oh boy... oh boy...

Just sad that it doesn't have in-store pick-up right now. Would love to just go to the Apple Store and get it myself. Oh well, I guess I could wait the weekend.

Edit: And I have now pulled the trigger. I wish Saturday counted as a Business Day, or that Black Friday was a Thursday. Question. With 1-day shipping placed on Friday night at 10PM Eastern, will the order be at least processed on Saturday even if it doesn't fly out until Monday? Or will the order sit until Monday and arrive Tuesday?

Nice I had one for about a week and had to return it for the pro, I need the disk drive sadly :/ I know old school...

Jasoco

Banned
Do you really use the optical drive all the time? Because I would have, and probably will, gotten an external drive. I rarely use mine ever. So I won't miss it at all.

Now if only they could put the full Pro processors in them. Hopefully the next Intel class will be a lot cooler so they can.

Yeah, I don't use an optical drive at all; and if I really did need it I'd use the network drive sharing or see if there was a mac driver for the cheap spare external DVD drive I already have.

I really wish Apple would let me merge Apple IDs though...

Top Bottom