• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Question... I finally got to experience the new MacBook and its damn sexy/impressive. I'm looking to replace my mid-2010 MacBook Pro as I'm going back to school this fall. Some reviews however have told me its performance is on par with Airs from 2011? Is this true? I'm not a power user really at all but my 2010 is chugging at this point. Is the performance of the new MacBook pretty bad? Am I better off with a Retina Pro for a similar price?

Fuchsdh

Mac laptop prices are pretty great if you're a seller (not so much a buyer). I wonder if the retina models with soldered memory and less-common PCIe blades will hurt that picture down the line—easy to grab an old one and pop in an SSD and more RAM these days, but you'll be taking a lot more merch as-in in the future.

So I'm sure this has already been asked, but does Photos remember the name of your events? It's just showing my crap as dates, which is kind of annoying.

npa189

Would it be pretty easy to use the new Photos app with a Library stored on a NAS? I'm thinking about moving my lightroom based PC library to my retina macbook, but I don't want it on the local SSD.

Fuchsdh

Would it be pretty easy to use the new Photos app with a Library stored on a NAS? I'm thinking about moving my lightroom based PC library to my retina macbook, but I don't want it on the local SSD.

Just start up and use the option key and you can choose which library you want to load, just like iPhoto. I keep all my photos on a second internal drive in my Mac Pro along with my music.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sometimes I hate iMessage. I got a message from my boss today but it didn't go to my phone. It went to my MacBook as an iMessage. Which was asleep at the time. I recall hearing a muffled sound I didn't recognize and thought nothing of it. Then when I wake the machine up now I find the message. But it's not on my phone, where it should go first. And it's not on my iPad or iMac. And now I can't figure out why messages aren't going to those two devices.

I'm losing faith in iMessage. And I want to love it so much. I even tested it the other day when I got it turned back on properly. There needs to be an assurance algorithm that makes sure everything received the message before it forgets about it. I can't rely on it if it's going to be this flakey.

I'm also trying to turn on forwarding for my other devices. The MacBook showed the code right away in Messages. But it will not show up on my iMac or iPad no matter how hard I try. I want to sign out of iCloud on those devices and try signing in again but they make it such a chore since it has to delete everything, especially all my photos, just so it can download them again when I turn it back on.

npa189

Just start up and use the option key and you can choose which library you want to load, just like iPhoto. I keep all my photos on a second internal drive in my Mac Pro along with my music.

Thanks, moving stuff over now. I've never liked Lightroom and I never feel the need to edit photos that much I feel like cameras these days take awesome photos in the first place.

Sidenote: 802.11ac kicks ass.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Sometimes I hate iMessage. I got a message from my boss today but it didn't go to my phone. It went to my MacBook as an iMessage. Which was asleep at the time. I recall hearing a muffled sound I didn't recognize and thought nothing of it. Then when I wake the machine up now I find the message. But it's not on my phone, where it should go first. And it's not on my iPad or iMac. And now I can't figure out why messages aren't going to those two devices.

I'm losing faith in iMessage. And I want to love it so much. I even tested it the other day when I got it turned back on properly. There needs to be an assurance algorithm that makes sure everything received the message before it forgets about it. I can't rely on it if it's going to be this flakey.

I'm also trying to turn on forwarding for my other devices. The MacBook showed the code right away in Messages. But it will not show up on my iMac or iPad no matter how hard I try. I want to sign out of iCloud on those devices and try signing in again but they make it such a chore since it has to delete everything, especially all my photos, just so it can download them again when I turn it back on.

Is it bad that I read this in Abed's voice?

Same thing has happened to me before. The message goes to my sleeping computer, but not my phone. Makes no sense.

Fuchsdh

iMessage will always try your computer first, but if you don't respond within a few seconds it should then push it to your devices. Unfortunately I'm not sure how you troubleshoot the issue other than trying to sign out and sign back in on your devices.

Makes it a lot more interesting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Makes it a lot more interesting.
Troy-Abed-moments-troy-and-abed-29857265-375-360.gif

(If only we could still have animated avatars)

On topic though, I have no idea why it only went to my sleeping computer and decided not to go to the rest. I can't even get forwarding to turn on for the iPad and iMac. (The code never shows up on them)

Next time I have a chance I'll try and flush the system and completely log out of all the trouble devices and log back in. I am afraid to do it though because I don't trust iCloud to sync properly. I'd hate to lose all my notes and other iCloud data because one device accidentally marked itself as "push changes" instead of "receive changes" and ended up erasing everything. I know it's unfounded, but I've had terrible experiences with syncing in the past on other services. (XMarks back when I only had Firefox and Chrome didn't exist. But at least XMarks let you roll back changes when problems arise. If iCloud erases everything, there's no master history switch to roll back to.)

Fuchsdh

For me Dropbox is more transparent with what I need syncing to do, so I've only ever used iCloud for my messages, iProcrastinate and 1Password stuff, iTunes purchase playback, and Back to my Mac. It works well in those cases, and haven't had an issue. The vague potential it might go wrong the more I depend on it means I am reticent about doing so, although I generally am very old-school about adopting new workflows anyhow.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For me Dropbox is more transparent with what I need syncing to do, so I've only ever used iCloud for my messages, iProcrastinate and 1Password stuff, iTunes purchase playback, and Back to my Mac. It works well in those cases, and haven't had an issue. The vague potential it might go wrong the more I depend on it means I am reticent about doing so, although I generally am very old-school about adopting new workflows anyhow.
I wish I could switch to iCloud for my 1Password but you need to have the App Store version. And since I had literally just purchased the non-App Store version (Came as part of a bundle) before they revealed this I'm just waiting for the next major paid update.

I don't really even need to keep many documents in the cloud. I'd keep more text files in DropBox if their app on iOS had a simple edit feature. I mean seriously, how can DropBox not let you at least edit simple plain text files? Other than that I just keep a small set of image files and use it in conjunction with Hazel for painlessly (Though slowly) transferring files from my laptop to my iMac automatically. (I drop a file into a folder in DropBox, Hazel on the other side watches the folder and when it finishes downloading, moves it into place.)

So basically I don't really use iCloud Drive (I've posted about my gripes before) but use iCloud for everything else it offers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So the Best Buy deal on the 13" MBA for $800...Yay/nay? My wife has a 5 year old MBP and it's been giving her issues for the past 6 months or so. We were going to get her a Windows tablet/laptop combo, but I proposed that she get an Air instead since she's already used to Apple stuff.

So should we go buy it or is there an update/refresh coming that is more worth waiting for?

E: Also, does it have USB or is it some weird ass connector only?

giga

So the Best Buy deal on the 13" MBA for $800...Yay/nay? My wife has a 5 year old MBP and it's been giving her issues for the past 6 months or so. We were going to get her a Windows tablet/laptop combo, but I proposed that she get an Air instead since she's already used to Apple stuff.

So should we go buy it or is there an update/refresh coming that is more worth waiting for?

E: Also, does it have USB or is it some weird ass connector only?
Is 800 your max? Because if you can afford to go for the pro id get that for retina.

No weird connector.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There is no weird connector..

Wait what? You said "No weird connector" in your post...Now I'm confused, ha.

Is the benefit to the MBP mostly display? Because I mean, we'll look at both, but the MBP is an additional $400-500 and she likely won't notice or care.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The MBA has USB. You're thinking of the new MacBook, which just has USB-C.

giga

Wait what? You said "No weird connector" in your post...Now I'm confused, ha.

Is the benefit to the MBP mostly display? Because I mean, we'll look at both, but the MBP is an additional $400-500 and she likely won't notice or care.
…

It doesn't have a weird connector.

Liberty4all

Banned
My wife just bought a 13 inch 2015 Retina MacbookPro, 256 SSD ... Over 2k CAD. I can't believe how expensive these things are :O

With that said I played around with it and man does it feel nice to use.

Granadier

People that use a MBP as a workstation with an external display.
What peripheral setup do you use?

I'm going to be purchasing a setup within the month for when I do work from home.
So far I'm leaning towards an mStand off Amazon with the Apple wireless keyboard and an MX Master mouse. But a wired keyboard + magic trackpad is another option I'm debating on.

Any input on the matter?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

I'm going to be purchasing a setup within the month for when I do work from home.
So far I'm leaning towards an mStand off Amazon with the Apple wireless keyboard and an MX Master mouse. But a wired keyboard + magic trackpad is another option I'm debating on.

Any input on the matter?
I have an mStand next to my 24" sell monitor and really like the set up (run both displays in windows and Mac OS).

I have a USB hub hidden behind the desk with all my peripherals and connect just 1 USB for my external drive, wired keyboard and mouse etc.

I would like to get a second charger to make going mobile easier but it's not a huge deal.

Considered a Berlin fire wire Thunderbolt dock but always seemed costly. It looks a mess when I have USB, power, LAN, usb stick and headphones all hanging off the side though :/

Granadier

I have an mStand next to my 24" sell monitor and really like the set up (run both displays in windows and Mac OS).

I have a USB hub hidden behind the desk with all my peripherals and connect just 1 USB for my external drive, wired keyboard and mouse etc.

I would like to get a second charger to make going mobile easier but it's not a huge deal.

Considered a Berlin fire wire dock but always seemed costly. It looks a mess when I have USB, power, LAN, usb stick and headphones all hanging off the side though :/

This is a good idea. I may go with the wired keyboard and pick up a hub as well since I have other USB to connect.

Do you have any issues going from the MBP sized keyboard to the full wired one? As far as key spacing and such for muscle memory.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good idea. I may go with the wired keyboard and pick up a hub as well since I have other USB to connect.

Do you have any issues going from the MBP sized keyboard to the full wired one? As far as key spacing and such for muscle memory.
No. I am using a full sized wired Apple keyboard. Key size and spacing isn't significantly different and has a similar travel like the MBP. I like having the auxiliary keys + 10 key which is why I did t go wireless. though I am sure Logitech or someone has a full size wireless that has those.

Looking forward to seeing if USB C monitor that can act as a hub and charger becomes prevelant.

I'm using a Magic Trackpad with a Mini and it's pretty fuckin' slick. It's huge too.

Of course, my Mini never goes anywhere, so I dunno if pairing would be an issue for you.

Any input on the matter?

My setup is somewhat similar to sc0la.
MBP on a Belkin Zero Stand
Connected to an external monitor (27-inch)
USB hub behind the monitor which connects to a wired keyboard, external hard drive, USB DAC, and a bunch of other specific stuff.

I personally have no issue changing from my wired keyboard (which is a Razer BlackWidow I have form an old PC build) to the MacBook's keyboard. I'm not a touch typist though.

I enjoy this setup. It means I have a portable computer, but when I want to be at home at my desk it's a matter of plugging in power, DisplayPort and 1 USB.

ccbfan

We recently got some Macbooks for work and trying to set them up in our windows network.

We're encountering 2 major issues.

1. Can you create a network user that you can also log in locally. So for instance we create domain\user1 we can log in fine when we're on our work office internet/network but they second we go home/on road and try to log into the machine none of our network accounts work.

2. How do you change who you log on as on your Mac login. When we bought our macbooks home, some of use was able to switch our usernames to a local account and log in but others could change it from their network user (which you can't log in as if you're not on the network).

Just in case there's a difference but these are late 2014 macbook pro 15s

Ambitious

I just noticed an issue with my rMBP's trackpad:

When I click using the left half of the trackpad, there's a clear, loud clicking noise. But when I click using the right half, the noise is really faint. There's much less resistance on the right half. On the left side, I have to actually press the trackpad to click, but on the right side, simply tapping it makes it click.
Could there maybe be something stuck inside, like small pieces of dust?

Here's a video. Note that I am using the same amount of pressure for each click.

I don't know since when the trackpad has this issue, as I always click in the middle or left. Today I accidentally pressed it on the right, so that's why I noticed.

Granadier

My setup is somewhat similar to sc0la.
MBP on a Belkin Zero Stand
Connected to an external monitor (27-inch)
USB hub behind the monitor which connects to a wired keyboard, external hard drive, USB DAC, and a bunch of other specific stuff.

I personally have no issue changing from my wired keyboard (which is a Razer BlackWidow I have form an old PC build) to the MacBook's keyboard. I'm not a touch typist though.

I enjoy this setup. It means I have a portable computer, but when I want to be at home at my desk it's a matter of plugging in power, DisplayPort and 1 USB.

Sweet!

I think with sc0la's and your input I'm going to go with the stand plus USB hub for whatever peripherals I choose.

Thanks!

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, so the newest OS update is cratering my 2011 Macbook Pro. It took me like 5 minutes to make this post. How can I revert it without using Time Machine?

Top Bottom