• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
WAIT

FOR

SKYLAKE

_889ea9669b.gif

I can do this.

Two Words

Whenever I get tempted to not wait for Skylake, I just remind myself my Windows laptop is a Haswell i7 and just upgrading to another Haswell laptop that is a Mac is just silly. Only going with 15".

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The review for the new Macbook by The Verge is one of the worst reviews I've read in some time.

Granadier

Learn me. (and discussion starter)

What are the advantages of Skylake over Broadwell outside of the DDR4 support?

giga

Learn me. (and discussion starter)

What are the advantages of Skylake over Broadwell outside of the DDR4 support?
It's a new architecture, instead of just a process shrink. So people are expecting significant performance increases--especially for the GPU. Thunderbolt 3 should also be able to drive 5k displays. They might also include Rezence wireless charging.

EmiPrime

I am getting pretty sick of my iMac. 2009, i5 2.66Ghz, 12GB RAM, updated with SSD. Freezes several times per week, and is generally very sluggish. I don't have a ton of programs open at once but I do usually have several large psds open (4GB total sometimes). And honestly this is a much lighter workload than I would like to have open at once, since i also make use of ZBrush and Maya.

My plan was to wait until Fall for a new iMac iteration but I'm having trouble waiting that long. I'm tempted to get a refurbished model for now and then sell it in the Fall. Not sure if that would be financially viable though. I'm willing to take a hit of $200 or so.

Have you tried running Onyx?

GWX

I don't experience any lag on my '14, and I put it at at least 1440x900 scaled.

My 2013 doesn't lag either

Great to hear. Although I still wonder if the 2015 13" lags, because I read about specific impressions of that one. Probably driver related, but I wonder if 10.10.3 fixed the issues. My late 2012 Mini lags a bit with Yosemite at 1080p (the volume pop-up sure loves to take a full second to appear sometimes, and the notification center lags like a motherfucker if it's on Today view). Mission Control and Launchpad are butter smooth, however.

Vashetti

Banned
Great to hear. Although I still wonder if the 2015 13" lags, because I read about specific impressions of that one. Probably driver related, but I wonder if 10.10.3 fixed the issues. My late 2012 Mini lags a bit with Yosemite at 1080p (the volume pop-up sure loves to take a full second to appear sometimes, and the notification center lags like a motherfucker if it's on Today view). Mission Control and Launchpad are butter smooth, however.

Disabling transparency helps.

Granadier

It's a new architecture, instead of just a process shrink. So people are expecting significant performance increases--especially for the GPU. Thunderbolt 3 should also be able to drive 5k displays. They might also include Rezence wireless charging.

woot

Intel has confirmed Skylake will launch in August at IDF15.

Even if we start with the bottom up, we could see new MacBooks, Airs, and 13" Pro models this holiday. I just really hope the Quad Core mobile variants make it to the Pros this fall.

Fuchsdh

Intel has confirmed Skylake will launch in August at IDF15.

Even if we start with the bottom up, we could see new MacBooks, Airs, and 13" Pro models this holiday. I just really hope the Quad Core mobile variants make it to the Pros this fall.

Hmm. I wonder if we'll just skip Broadwell 15" Pros then.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What specifically about it?

Look at this quote

After using this tiny little wonder of a computer for a little over a week, I have a pretty strong guess about what the name means. It’s called the MacBook because Apple sees it as the Platonic ideal of what a laptop should be. It’s what Apple believes all laptops should eventually become.

npa189

Gonna try and track down a 1.2ghz grey macbook tomorrow. I don't need a pro, and I've been waiting so long for a retina air I refuse to get anything less at this point. Its perfect for my laptop workflow as I hardly use anything but a mouse and headphones in that scenario, my tower handles everything else, but I might try to find a HDMI adapter. Seems like it get a little hot, but its worth it to finally have a fanless machine.

Fuchsdh

I am pretty certain we got the very last Air release we will see. The new Macbook is going to take over that just like Air took over the traditional old plastic Macbook

I dunno. My guess before the announcement would have been the Macbook Air with Retina display and a final refresh—since they didn't do that, I'm starting to think the Air will stick around for a bit longer rather than just slowly becoming a cheaper obsolete piece like the MBP. It took the Air three revs to get good and as many years to replace the original Macbook.

I dunno. My guess before the announcement would have been the Macbook Air with Retina display and a final refresh—since they didn't do that, I'm starting to think the Air will stick around for a bit longer rather than just slowly becoming a cheaper obsolete piece like the MBP. It took the Air three revs to get good and as many years to replace the original Macbook.

I still think the MBPs are going to be trimmed down this fall/next year to the point where they will make the MBAs obsolete.

Fuchsdh

I still think the MBPs are going to be trimmed down this fall/next year to the point where they will make the MBAs obsolete.

It's possible. At some point they've got to get rid of the non-retina MBP, it's kind of ridiculous it's survived all the way to Broadwell already.

But Apple has always liked having a strict line between pro and consumer lines—the only time the Macbook got pro features was when it essentially turned into the 13" MBP a revision before they changed the name as well (the single unibody version of the product.)

The problem with that theory is that the kind of processors needed for the MBP line need a thermal profile that the Air chassis cannot deliver yet. Unlike the Macbook, Apple can't just pick a CPU with lower TDP because the Pro expects a certain performance profile.

I think your theory is still possible, but I imagine it will involve them finding a way to completely reinvent the chassis airflow.

giga

I definitely wouldn't want them to drop from 28w to 15w. I use my 13" pro for on the go raw photo editing and it already maxes out the CPU.

Hey MacGAF, WindowsGAF over here looking for some advice.

My brother-in-law is bringing me his macbook later today because he believe it has a virus. I highly doubt it does and probably just needs some maintenance and file clean up. In any case though, what are some good malware clean up apps? PC tool apps (is there a OSX equivalent to CCleaner?) ?

I already have Sophos in mind. I tried to do some googling before asking here but got nothing but shady sites.

I definitely wouldn't want them to drop from 28w to 15w. I use my 13" pro for on the go raw photo editing and it already maxes out the CPU.

I don't think they're going to put the 15W processors in the 13" rMBP. Intel is just trying to put the best possible onboard graphics they can and Apple (several years ago when Jobs was alive) pushed them to do do. Intel's graphics were a joke before but now they're actually halfway decent. They are still nothing compared to nVidia and AMD mid to high level discrete mobile chips but they are still in the running.

Edit: Look at this, this is great news. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/co...skylake-chips-with-iris-6100-graphics-1290680

So basically the current Broadwell chips with Iris 6100 graphics at 28 watts are now packed into a Skylake chip at 15 watts.

tr4656

My brother-in-law is bringing me his macbook later today because he believe it has a virus. I highly doubt it does and probably just needs some maintenance and file clean up. In any case though, what are some good malware clean up apps? PC tool apps (is there a OSX equivalent to CCleaner?) ?

I already have Sophos in mind. I tried to do some googling before asking here but got nothing but shady sites.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php for adware. There is a CCleaner on OS X.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Yeah, I doubt it has a virus. A trojan possibly but what exactly makes him think this? You can really only get a trojan on OS X if you're really really careless and not only browse shady websites but also purposefully install anything they give you. (Don't fall for MacKeeper.) Are there any signs of any problem? Suspicious processes running in the background?

Blackhead

Redarse
The safari web page preview (via Force Touch) is amazing. I have a jerry rigged system for something similar in Firefox but Apple is the first to make it native. I'm going to make Safari my main browser just for this feature. Do I have to get the new Macbook/13" MBP or has anyone unlocked it for the other devices?

Meh3D

The safari web page preview (via Force Touch) is amazing. I have a jerry rigged system for something similar in Firefox but Apple is the first to make it native. I'm going to make Safari my main browser just for this feature. Do I have to get the new Macbook/13" MBP or has anyone unlocked it for the other devices?

Nice! Learned something useful when browsing GAF.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've been using the force click a lot for dictionary/wikipedia lookups on my new rMBP, but I keep forgetting about the link preview feature. It is pretty awesome, though.

mrkgoo

Yeah, I doubt it has a virus. A trojan possibly but what exactly makes him think this? You can really only get a trojan on OS X if you're really really careless and not only browse shady websites but also purposefully install anything they give you. (Don't fall for MacKeeper.) Are there any signs of any problem? Suspicious processes running in the background?

So many people I have encountered have Mackeeper, it makes me sad.

I know a few who actually pay them as well.

Granadier

This works with the three-finger tap on non-Force Touch devices.

Fuchsdh

I tell them it's unnecessary and not recommended.

To be honest I don't know too much but it's pretty intrusive.

I haven't seen any evidence it'll actually download malware or actually gum up your system, but as you say, it's akin to paying for anti-virus on an iOS device. Best case scenario is you're probably getting something that tells you your trash is getting full (which, hey, it's a utility.)

On the rung of software I put it above crap-you-downloaded-to-watch-random-movie, below CleanMyMac, and then above that is widely useful software that *doesn't* have people arguing about whether it's a scam.

Top Bottom