• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Das Keyboard. Damn thing is beautifully clacky. Only real complaint I have with it is no backlight for the keys.

Envious. I've been eyeing Das Keyboard for a long time. Once I start making money from my programs I'll invest.

Husker86

What keyboards do you all use?

Logitech G710+ mechanical. It's my first mechanical keyboard and I really like it.

Mainly, though, I love the programmable "G" keys. Having one-button, easy to reach shortcuts for things like copy/cut/paste (and more, but those are my main ones) is nice. Volume roller is also very convenient.

I use an Apple keyboard/magic mouse at work and am fine with it, though.

Another reason I like my G710+ at home is because I have all my peripherals (keyboard, mouse, external drive, external sound card, random USB cables) plugged into a USB hub that I can just switch between my Mac and PC and have my entire setup transfer between computers. Not sure I'd like an Apple keyboard on PC.

Even though I like (I'd almost say need) my Logitech mouse with extra buttons, I'm considering getting a magic trackpad.

Thanks, can you use your license on more than one device or do you have to buy multiple licenses?

Just had a look, seems like it's licensed on a per-machine basis, but there are discounts if you buy multiple licenses.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/eshop.html?affChecked=1

What keyboards do you all use?

Razor BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 that I've kept from my previous PC setup. Everything works fine in OS X including the media keys, haven't bothered installing Synapse.

Thinking of switching over to the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard I have lying round though, just to save space on my desk and give me a slightly more comfortable mousing position.

Gandalf

Recently got my first Mac ever, and it was a Macbook Pro. I love it! Very easy to use. Stupidly quick. Installed El Capitan too.

Any essentials for a first time user? I know I'm probably missing out on some software.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Take Chrome off that list and you got yourself a deal. But at least it's not Firefox. Firefox on OS X is the worst thing in the world. Safari is great on OS X now even with all its pitfalls. Maybe Chrome is better now but I wouldn't even consider switching back to it in a million years. They lost me as a user. Rant over.

Chrome™ "At Least it's Not Firefox"

EmiPrime

Recently got my first Mac ever, and it was a Macbook Pro. I love it! Very easy to use. Stupidly quick. Installed El Capitan too.

Any essentials for a first time user? I know I'm probably missing out on some software.

1Password
Chrome
Google Drive
Flux
Wunderlist
SuperDuper
VLC
The Unarchiver
Pixelmator
Fantastical 2
Airmail 2

giga

New magic keyboard revealed with lightning port for charging. But apparently they reduced the key travel? The fuck? I hope that's not true/worsen the typing experience.

chadskin

apple-imac-0042.0.jpg
apple-imac-0101.0.jpg
apple-imac-0180.0.jpg

Verge has more information and impressions: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9512501/apple-imac-magic-keyboard-announced-mouse-2-trackpad-2

giga

New trackpad looks great. Wonder if it's good enough to convert mice users like me. I couldn't get into the original Magic Mouse and trackpad at all.

Also lol at broadwell in the 4K. Intel smh.

chadskin

New accessories are up on the Apple Store.

€89 - Magic Mouse 2
€119 - Magic Keyboard
€149 - Magic Trackpad 2 (lol)

Bit of an awkward spot for the Lightning port. o_O
Basically forces you to buy a charging station to put the mouse on I guess.

Servbot24

Banned
YESSSSSSS

ordering now B-)

Should RAM compatible with 2014 Retina iMac be compatible. I want to order it from crucial at the same time as ordering the iMac.

Fuchsdh

New magic keyboard revealed with lightning port for charging. But apparently they reduced the key travel? The fuck? I hope that's not true/worsen the typing experience.

It's the same scissor mechanism on the new MacBooks, but I doubt it's the same level of travel (although the low profile mention makes me think they've still reduced it somewhat.)

Nice to see they refreshed the non-retina iMac too, although the 5400RPM scourge still continues unabated. Just have pity on the poor schmucks and make them a 7200RPM drive, Apple. No reason to stick people with 2006 iMac speeds.

giga

It's the same scissor mechanism on the new MacBooks, but I doubt it's the same level of travel (although the low profile mention makes me think they've still reduced it somewhat.)

Nice to see they refreshed the non-retina iMac too, although the 5400RPM scourge still continues unabated. Just have pity on the poor schmucks and make them a 7200RPM drive, Apple. No reason to stick people with 2006 iMac speeds.
The new MacBook uses butterfly, not scissor. So they still haven't gone that far yet.

Fuchsdh

The new MacBook uses butterfly, not scissor. So they still haven't gone that far yet.

Huh, then 9to5's report is wrong comparing it to the portable (I thought they just mixed up the terms, but Apple's site definitely says scissor, so no clear relation between them.)

Mindwipe

A keyboard with less travel and still no number pad, a mouse with the world's worst designed charging port and a trackpad that's had a huge price increase for no meaningful benefit.

Not Apple's finest moment these. Why the hell do they use Lightning cables?

Servbot24

Banned
Just purchased:
27" iMac 4.0 GHz i7, 8GB RAM (will upgrade myself to 32GB), M395X, 512 SSD, Magic Trackpad 2
2x 2TB 2015 WD Passports (my old externals were still USB 2, so needed to upgrade those)
Will purchase the RAM once it's clear if existing RAM is compatible.

that is some money ;_; Should be a great upgrade from my low end 2009 iMac though

Fuchsdh

Just purchased:
27" iMac 4.0 GHz i7, 8GB RAM (will upgrade myself to 32GB), M395X, 512 SSD, Magic Trackpad 2
2x 2TB 2015 WD Passports (my old externals were still USB 2, so needed to upgrade those)

that is some money ;_; Should be a great upgrade from my low end 2009 iMac though

Looks like the 2014 and 2015 models use 1600MHz DDR3, so you should be fine. To be absolutely safe I guess you just wait the month for Macsales/Crucial/whoever to update their listings.

EmiPrime

A keyboard with less travel and still no number pad, a mouse with the world's worst designed charging port and a trackpad that's had a huge price increase for no meaningful benefit.

Not Apple's finest moment these. Why the hell do they use Lightning cables?

m8, Jonny Ive would have a fit if there was a visible port on the mouse. He's been more interested in form over function for a while now.

Gotta sell them poorly made proprietary cables too.

Fuchsdh

m8, Jonny Ive would have a fit if there was a visible port on the mouse. He's been more interested in form over function for a while now.

Gotta sell them poorly made proprietary cables too.

I think it might have just been the least amount of engineering possible, really. They didn't update the mouse with Force Touch, so they might not be interested in it. Just swap out the part with the battery and stick the connection there so you don't have to change any of the rest of the mouse.

The new accessories work as wired devices when connected via Lightning, which is nice, but obviously you can't do that with the mouse given the cable config.

As for Lightning cables being poorly made... I still come down on the "you're using the damn things wrong" side. Most people treat their cables like crap.

EmiPrime

I think it might have just been the least amount of engineering possible, really. They didn't update the mouse with Force Touch, so they might not be interested in it. Just swap out the part with the battery and stick the connection there so you don't have to change any of the rest of the mouse.

The new accessories work as wired devices when connected via Lightning, which is nice, but obviously you can't do that with the mouse given the cable config.

As for Lightning cables being poorly made... I still come down on the "you're using the damn things wrong" side. Most people treat their cables like crap.

I just don't see why they didn't at least go with USB-C. It's clearly the default connector for the next 10+ years.

IME Apple cable construction in general has gone massively downhill. I baby my stuff yet somehow my MBA charger has a nick in the cable which I am worried will get worse. My 10 year old PB G4 charger meanwhile looks pristine.

Mobius 1

This is the one that Jeff Atwood helped with right?

Yes. I had the 101 key with green switches but didn't enjoy it as much, it felt too stiff for my preferences. Went with the smaller ten keyless clear switch one, love it. The only flaw is that it's not wireless.

Actually, what's with the lack of good wireless mechanical keyboards?

Fuchsdh

I just don't see why they didn't at least go with USB-C. It's clearly the default connector for the next 10+ years.

IME Apple cable construction in general has gone massively downhill. I baby my stuff yet somehow my MBA charger has a nick in the cable which I am worried will get worse. My 10 year old PB G4 charger meanwhile looks pristine.

Seems like part of the reason for going with Lightning is the interoperability with iOS devices (you can pair them via BT as well.) The other end of the connector can be whatever—I'm sure once Macs go Type-C connectors we'll see a similar switch for the cables shipping with the keyboards.

All I know is from my experience I've still got my original cables for every Apple product I've ever owned, and they're all fine. I give my 30pin dock connectors to my SO because she's still got an iPhone 4S and they're completely shredded in months, most likely because she's grabbing the cable every single time rather than the hard plastic. The small size of the terminator on the Lightning cables vs. 30pin probably makes some people just grab it from the weaker wire parts.

I still prefer Lightning cables in part because the connector itself is more resilient, and I'm more concerned about damage to my devices versus the cable. I've never shredded any USB cable either, but I've had a few devices of the mini and micro-USB flavors where pins have gotten damaged and the port was rendered inoperable. I'm concerned USB Type-C will have similar problems.

Servbot24

Banned
Really thinking about buying a Magic Trackpad 2, even though I don't "need it".

How good is Force Touch on a Mac?

I got the trackpad since I already have a Mouse and the new one doesn't look much different. That said I can't picture myself using force touch very much. I always forget about it on my 6s.

EmiPrime

Seems like part of the reason for going with Lightning is the interoperability with iOS devices (you can pair them via BT as well.) The other end of the connector can be whatever—I'm sure once Macs go Type-C connectors we'll see a similar switch for the cables shipping with the keyboards.

All I know is from my experience I've still got my original cables for every Apple product I've ever owned, and they're all fine. I give my 30pin dock connectors to my SO because she's still got an iPhone 4S and they're completely shredded in months, most likely because she's grabbing the cable every single time rather than the hard plastic. The small size of the terminator on the Lightning cables vs. 30pin probably makes some people just grab it from the weaker wire parts.

I still prefer Lightning cables in part because the connector itself is more resilient, and I'm more concerned about damage to my devices versus the cable. I've never shredded any USB cable either, but I've had a few devices of the mini and micro-USB flavors where pins have gotten damaged and the port was rendered inoperable. I'm concerned USB Type-C will have similar problems.

I think that with something you need to charge regularly wireless charging is the way to go because of wear and tear. I have the official Nexus charging plate next to my iMac that I use to charge my Nexus 5 and 7 and I really like it. Possibly next year Macs and iOS devices will go USB-C with the latter getting wireless charging also now that it works through metal and wireless quick charging is possible. I think that an iMac (flatter) form factor redesign is inevitable with SSD as standard too.

Then again maybe they will skip over USB-C and stick with lightning until they can put out a port-less iPhone. I'm sure Ive already has a prototype of one made, just a question of when in the next 1-3 years Apple thinks the market is ready for it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Missed opportunity for an official way to attach the touchpad to the keyboard.

Fuchsdh

I think that with something you need to charge regularly wireless charging is the way to go because of wear and tear. I have the official Nexus charging plate next to my iMac that I use to charge my Nexus 5 and 7 and I really like it. Possibly next year Macs and iOS devices will go USB-C with the latter getting wireless charging also now that it works through metal and wireless quick charging is possible. I think that an iMac (flatter) form factor redesign is inevitable with SSD as standard too.

Then again maybe they will skip over USB-C and stick with lightning until they can put out a port-less iPhone. I'm sure Ive already has a prototype of one made, just a question of when in the next 1-3 years Apple thinks the market is ready for it.

Maybe. I've never really felt like wireless charging was that great just because you still have to have *something* wired to put it on, but it's possible I'll be swayed by a good implementation (the only systems I've used that do that are the little pads for the Magic Mice at work, and my main experience with them is frustration.)

I almost expect their ultra-portables to go wireless charging first. Apple wants to get rid of ports entirely on their Macbook line, after all :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Firefox is fine, I don't know what you're talking about.
It's terrible. It's clunky. It's outdated. It needs a major rewrite. Which is coming. But people are complaining because it's going to break a lot of deeply integrated extensions. It handles things poorly. It has really shitty Fullscreen support. So shitty it's shitty as shit. It stutters when too many tabs are open because everything is a single thread. I have it literally freeze my computer for seconds at a time because it can't handle a huge workload. It's so outdated. Firefox has fallen so far behind and hasn't been leader of the pack in years now. I'd rather use Internet Explorer... I mean Spartan... I mean Edge.

But at least it currently has DownloadHelper which is the only reason I keep it around.

It's terrible. It's clunky. It's outdated. It needs a major rewrite. Which is coming. But people are complaining because it's going to break a lot of deeply integrated extensions. It handles things poorly. It has really shitty Fullscreen support. So shitty it's shitty as shit. It stutters when too many tabs are open because everything is a single thread. I have it literally freeze my computer for seconds at a time because it can't handle a huge workload. It's so outdated. Firefox has fallen so far behind and hasn't been leader of the pack in years now. I'd rather use Internet Explorer... I mean Spartan... I mean Edge.

But at least it currently has DownloadHelper which is the only reason I keep it around.

Pretty much.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That trackpad price increase...come on!
Well it does have a lot more to it than the old one. Force touch alone is probably a big factor. Plus the charging.

I'd love to have a new keyboard and trackpad but my current ones are fine and dandy as they are. So I'll stick with them and their AA batteries. (Thank goodness for my Eneloops)

Mindwipe

Are there any pictures of the new trackpad and keyboard next to each other? Because it doesn't seem like they're the same size, which is a pretty big step back from the old one.

Talon

Are there any pictures of the new trackpad and keyboard next to each other? Because it doesn't seem like they're the same size, which is a pretty big step back from the old one.
According to Ars, they fit next to each other the same way.
Because Apple has been able to ditch the AA battery tube, the tracking surface (now white instead of silver, though the frame is still aluminum) extends from edge to edge and the trackpad is thinner and flatter. The top of the trackpad is roughly flush with the keycaps of the Magic Keyboard, and both accessories are the same height and thickness, so like the Apple Wireless Keyboard and original Magic Trackpad you can sit them next to each other and see that they were clearly designed together.

Ninja Dom

Just purchased:

I'm feeling left behind. I'm still on a 27" 2009 iMac. Still it isn't too bad, I got 12GB in there and it runs a 2.8GHz i7.

But I am missing out on features...no AirDrop to iOS devices, no Handoff, no Continuity, no AirPlay, no Metal, no Power Nap and no Instant Hotspot.

Never mind, it's still a very fast Mac and I don't suffer any slowdowns on anything I do on it.

Putzweg

Am i the only one loving the Magic Mouse? I use it everyday. I have no idea why it feels awesome because it checks all the boxes for worst mouse ergonomics ever.

Am i the only one loving the Magic Mouse? I use it everyday. I have no idea why it feels awesome because it checks all the boxes for worst mouse ergonomics ever.

I like mine, but had enough problems with it in general use that I replaced it with something else.

A middle click is much nicer than a Cmd-click for opening links in a new tab, back/forward buttons were much more reliable for use in browsers compared to the swipe at least in my case. Oh, and I've had frequent enough disconnection issues that it started to bother me.

Not to say that the Magic Mouse is bad, I still use it as my mouse for when I'm away from home, but I've found the MX Master more reliable and useful overall for what I do.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yes, you are the only one. In the entire world.

I personally dislike the mouse too. The ergonomics just don't make sense. The mouse made me switch to a Magic Trackpad for desktop Macs, and I haven't looked back since.

Fuchsdh

Mine at work are great because it works perfectly in the desk surfaces there. At home, though, it tracked poorly on my cherry wood with the grain, and the Magic Mouse has never really felt right for me on a mousepad.

I ended up getting a Razr because I wanted something that worked better in my environment and with extra programmable buttons, but I still think the Magic Mouse is great.

I've tried using a magic trackpad, but it's a bit of a nonstarter for editing or AE work.

Top Bottom