• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Hey anyone know what MB pros I should avoid if all of them have had their internal SSDs removed? What about airs?

There is an airport lost property auction with a ton of mac laptops from current to older and the problem is the auction place in their infinitely stupid wisdom has removed and presumably deatroyed their "hdds" in order to protect personal data.

(Yet they are selling all the tablets just reset or wiped).

I believe the latest model MacBooks with SSDs with pcie interface are not available 3rd party.. What does that make them worth? I am sure a lot of people are going to be in for an unpleasant surprise..
Safe to bid on anything prior to the current version?

Deku Tree

That should be fine, but I'm not sure why you needed to shuffle things around. Did you need more Ethernet ports or something? You can get a Gigabit switch from Monoprice for like $25. It's just like a USB hub, except for Ethernet. Good stuff.

Also, are your two Base Stations wired together? They really should be. If not, then when your laptop talks to your 6th gen, it needs to use its radio to listen to your laptop, then it needs to use it again to relay that message to the 5th gen. Then it uses the radio again to receive the reply from the 5th gen, and then a fourth time to finally get the reply back to your laptop. Meanwhile, this also ties up the radio on the 5th gen, making it less available for the wife's iPhone in the other room.

So, not having your access points wired together creates a ton of extra traffic on your wireless network.

I shuffled things around because I want my PS4 to get full speed. PS4 was previously connected over WiFi and if I'm playing an online game then having speed or connection drops over WiFi can be really frustrating. So now my PS4 is hard wired into the FIOS router. Other activities that I do on the internet are not nearly as sensitive to short connection drops.

I have checked and I normally get full speed in all of the parts of my house where I normally use the internet so I'm not worried about my setup. I have 50/50 internet.

I imagine there is a lot of other communication redundancy in many other parts of internet traffic too. I can't connect my routers via ethernet without either running ugly wires through my house or reconnecting the wires in the Cat 5e wires in my phone lines and buying new phone wall plates... and I'm not doing either of those things at the present time. My current set up gets full speed as I said so I'm not worried about it.

Just trying to figure out if there are possibly any other things to worry about, but I guess not.

Fuchsdh

Hey anyone know what MB pros I should avoid if all of them have had their internal SSDs removed? What about airs?

There is an airport lost property auction with a ton of mac laptops from current to older and the problem is the auction place in their infinitely stupid wisdom has removed and presumably deatroyed their "hdds" in order to protect personal data.

(Yet they are selling all the tablets just reset or wiped).

I believe the latest model MacBooks with SSDs with pcie interface are not available 3rd party.. What does that make them worth? I am sure a lot of people are going to be in for an unpleasant surprise..
Safe to bid on anything prior to the current version?
I believe 2013 or earlier you should be able to get a compatible SSD from OWC.

kennah

After much humming and hawing, finally said Fuck it.

2015 MacBook pro retina 13" to arrive on Thursday. My last Mac was a 2010 15", so expecting this to be quite an improvement.

Deku Tree

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory
Magic Trackpad 2
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User’s Guide

How would that run Fallout 4? Would I have to buy Windows to play Fallout 4?

Fuchsdh

3TB Fusion Drive
Magic Trackpad 2
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User’s Guide

How would that run Fallout 4? Would I have to buy Windows to play Fallout 4?

It's not coming out for Mac, is it?

(And assuming you're running games at 1440p or lower, the GPU should do medium settings decently. It's gonna' go hot and loud though.)

Deku Tree

It's not coming out for Mac, is it?

(And assuming you're running games at 1440p or lower, the GPU should do medium settings decently. It's gonna' go hot and loud though.)

Not that I've heard.

My 2009 iMac's replacement HDD just died. Trying to figure out what to do next. The 5K iMac looks like a sweet machine. It's sad that such a beautiful screen comes sandwiched into such a not high quality rig for gaming.

AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory

Is there a big difference between these two cards for the $250 difference that you pay?

Fuchsdh

Not that I've heard.

My 2009 iMac's replacement HDD just died. Trying to figure out what to do next. The 5K iMac looks like a sweet machine. It's sad that such a beautiful screen comes sandwiched into such a not high quality rig for gaming.

Is there a big difference between these two cards for the $250 difference that you pay?

I dunno. Down the road you can always get a PCIe enclosure and a power supply if you want to kludge an eGPU, though.

Hey! I'm looking into selling my iMac. I kind of don't want to deal with craigslist or ebay. I was looking at some sites to just send to and get cash. So far, I've found that Mac Me An Offer will give me $925 and I Got Offer will give me $1,000.

I know I could probably get about $1,200 for it (maybe more?) if I sold it on my own. I've sold iPhones to Gazelle before, but that site won't give me much for the iMac.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone here has any experiences dealing with these sites? Thanks!

robox

2. Is iTunes still the most bloated software and slow interface ever? There's iTunes on Macbook and you have apps, music, videos, podcasts. Then you have App store, Music, Podcasts on the iPhone. Wouldn't it make more sense to actually have an App store app on OSX working in sync with App store app on iPhone, Podcast app on OSX working with the podcast app on iPhone. That makes more sense to me.

3. Then we get to the craziness of photos. To import photos, I use photos on OSX, to transfer photos from OSX i use iTunes and they need to be synced? The easiest way is to just let me transfer files on finder.

4. Syncing is a bit of a problem. I bought my latest mac in 2012, with 256gb SSD. If you buy an iPad and iPhone both with say the middle tier 64gb, its a lot of space you have to give up if you're syncing. Of course Apple will suggest to sync with iCloud storage, but I really don't like giving up a monthly fee when I could manually transfer photos myself.

5. The way OSX loves to hide your files. Its kind of annoying. Like photos, movies and music are always buried three or four directories deep.
i've given up on any hope of control over organization of my photos. besides the hidden files, the switch from iphoto to photos fucked up my system and now i don't even care. i just do a biannual full backup of photos to google drive. not even google photos....

6. Finder is kinda annoying if you don't have a large screen. If you have a lot of directories you have to get into, the preview becomes really small and you have to manually resize everything unless you use cover flow. It would be nice if the preview was a bit larger. As such finder isn't very good at letting the user preview photos and to preview photos in preview, you have to select all the photos in finder and click preview and load them all up. To get them into Photos app on the Mac is an extra step.
i pretty much switch between columns view for navigation and grid/coverflow for picture folders. i tend to keep my finder windows long, but not that tall.

7. Dashboard is significantly under developed/utilised. I wish there were more cool widgets I could put on there.

dashboard is dead for me with the el capitan update.
i used to have world clock and weather there, but now i use notification center for it. but notification center sucks at that job because it's tiny. perhaps, notif center will grow in the future to become dashboard redux.

Can any of you see yourselves completely replacing your laptop
or desktop lol
with an iPad pro in the next few years?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/09/tim-cook-ipad-pro-can-replace-notebooks-desktops/

I'm excited at where it might go, but right now I wouldn't consider replacing my laptop. An iPad Pro can't make podcasts, do (much) development, basically all of the tools I use for uni study aren't going to be on iOS at all generally, and if they are they are generally not as fully featured as I would need them to be.

Deku Tree

I am thinking that for must of us it is lol to replace a desktop or laptop with an iPad Pro... but for people who basically do email, web, pictures, calendar, office, etc, (which is probably the vast majority of Apple's computer users) then I can imagine that an iPad Pro would be a fantastic replacement for a laptop or a desktop.

The better question is what Mac you're going to replace that Mac Pro with :)

Wonder Why Apple doesn't put the new single-socket Xeon CPUs with 14, 16, and 18 cores into the Mac Pro.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/78583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-v3-Family#@All

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am playing the Steam version of The Witcher (1) on Mac. There is a ton of tearing. Does anyone know how I can force the game to use vsync? There is no in-game option. (MacBook Pro 15' with Nvidia GT 750M)

Fuchsdh

I am thinking that for must of us it is lol to replace a desktop or laptop with an iPad Pro... but for people who basically do email, web, pictures, calendar, office, etc, (which is probably the vast majority of Apple's computer users) then I can imagine that an iPad Pro would be a fantastic replacement for a laptop or a desktop.

Wonder Why Apple doesn't put the new single-socket Xeon CPUs with 14, 16, and 18 cores into the Mac Pro.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/78583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-v3-Family#@All

Presumably, they're waiting on v4 at this point, and Thunderbolt 3. But yeah, they really should have upgraded to the last chipset months ago, because at the least the GPUs could use some TLC.

There's an argument to be made for not worrying about hitting every generation, making substantial changes every few years, but with Apple's track record it probably hurts more than helps ("when's the next update coming? Who knows?")

Deku Tree

So if I buy a new iMac 5K then is it better to buy a 3TB Fusion drive or instead to buy a 512GB flash drive and use an additional external USB3.0 HDD?

Which drive should last longer without breaking: the 512GB flash drive? Or the 3TB Fusion drive?

EmiPrime

These people already do that with the iPad Air 2. I don't think the iPad Pro is creating a new market so I would contest the bolded. I can't imagine students and writers trading MacBooks for iPads; ideally you want both and I find Cook's words as a longtime Mac user rather disheartening.

Servbot24

Banned
So if I buy a new iMac 5K then is it better to buy a 3TB Fusion drive or instead to buy a 512GB flash drive and use an additional external USB3.0 HDD?

Which drive should last longer without breaking: the 512GB flash drive? Or the 3TB Fusion drive?

Get the 512GB SSD. The SSD portion of the Fusion is only 128GB. External storage is super cheap, so you can easily expand to 3TB and beyond.

I would expect regular SSD to last longer. Fusion includes flash storage and HHD - I'm not saying this based on evidence, but generally more simple parts will have less go wrong.

EmiPrime

My iMac has 256GB SSD and an external 4TB HDD.

My only regret is that I couldn't afford the 512GB SSD. The only HDDs I want to use are those that can be easily replaced if a fault develops and that aren't constantly spinning.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Get the SSD. Easily the most noticeable single upgrade I had in a long time; maybe since I bought computers. It also gets rid of all vibration noises. When I still used a 27' iMac, its HDD was transmitting very audible vibrations into the desk.

Fuchsdh

Theoretically, the SSD will last longer with less of a chance of mechanical failure than the fusion. The larger flash capacity of the pure SSD will also last longer than the flash on the fusion without slowdown given the larger capacities.

Deku Tree

Get the 512GB SSD. The SSD portion of the Fusion is only 128GB. External storage is super cheap, so you can easily expand to 3TB and beyond.

I would expect regular SSD to last longer. Fusion includes flash storage and HHD - I'm not saying this based on evidence, but generally more simple parts will have less go wrong.

Get the SSD. Easily the most noticeable single upgrade I had in a long time; maybe since I bought computers. It also gets rid of all vibration noises. When I still used a 27' iMac, its HDD was transmitting very audible vibrations into the desk.

Theoretically, the SSD will last longer with less of a chance of mechanical failure than the fusion. The larger flash capacity of the pure SSD will also last longer than the flash on the fusion without slowdown given the larger capacities.

Alright I'll go with the SSD. Thx.

chadskin

PDF Expert for Mac is now available (free 7-day trial, $19.99) on the the official site https://pdfexpert.com
It's also available for purchase on the Apple App Store.

PDF_Expert_for_Mac_1.jpg

Aside from the many expected features, it also supports Continuity and Handoff. And on that note, the iOS app for iPhone and iPad is also free for a limited time it seems, so give them a try.

kek_lel

People from the mac universe

I need some help and directions as Im kind of new to apple hardware
I tried some hackintoshing before but that didnt work well enough for daily use, yet had me like apple software. I still own a logic pro x license from that time but dont have a device to use it :(
Now Im looking for a nice new device to use for university stuff (writing papers, doing presentations) as well as music recording and mixing (logic) + some usual personal computing
Im looking at the 13" pro retina 2015 as I need a portable decive with good connectivity (standard hdmi, multiple standard usb ports)

Does logic pro x benefit from a retina display ? As in does it display more but everything is smaller or does it simply show everything exactly like a lower dpi screen but sharper?

Also I heard about that staingate thing.. If I now buy a new macbook pro with retina, how likely is it to be still flawed? I dont want to buy expensove stuff that is pretty flawed from a long term perspective

Being a student, its a rather expensive thing to buy so Im quite undecided

Id be happy to hear some opinions and suggestions :)

Does logic pro x benefit from a retina display ? As in does it display more but everything is smaller or does it simply show everything exactly like a lower dpi screen but sharper?

You can scale the retina Macs' screens up and down to show more or less information, so at minimum it will work with that.

Ive had the latest rMBP for a while now with Force Touch and man I cant get used to the new kb or trackpad. I miss the travel on the older keyboards and the satisfying clicks from the trackpad.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ive had the latest rMBP for a while now with Force Touch and man I cant get used to the new kb or trackpad. I miss the travel on the older keyboards and the satisfying clicks from the trackpad.
I still haven't tried either. I'm afraid to. Maybe next time I am near an Apple Store or other retailer that sells Macs. But I have plenty of time. I plan to get as much life out of this 2013 model as possible.

Deku Tree

512GB Flash Storage
Magic Trackpad 2
Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide

Alright I'm gonna buy one of these...

Seems like a beast... And Seems pretty future proof. Hopefully it lasts for a crazy long time and stays fast too... Hopefully getting an SSD means I don't have to worry as much about HDD failure behind a glued on screen... Only things non-future proof about it that I see are no USB-C and no TB 3.0. (apples probably waiting for TB3.0 and will leave USBC on laptops?) My new computer does have Skylake.

And I'll try out the new force touch track pad and magic keyboard, even though I don't need either.

ShadiWulf

Nearing about two weeks now with my Apple Refurbished rMBP 2015 15in. This computer is a beast. It's definitely on the hefty side, but I've adjusted to carrying it. It's only .5lb heavier then my older laptop, which was a 14" ASUS "Ultrabook". A lot more powerful too.

Anyways, as I was saying, this laptop is a beast. Really glad I went with the 15in model. With 16GB of RAM I should be able to keep this laptop for a long time and not have to worry about getting a new laptop anytime soon. The 15in retina screen is beautiful and just big enough to not need an external monitor all the time. Code looks really beautiful on this screen and the keyboard is great to type on. It's my new best friend.

But yeah, overall I feel it's a wonderful web development machine and I couldn't be happier. Great to finally have an Unix/Linux based OS where everything just works. Definitely worth the investment.

I want to get Applecare too, just didn't want to buy it upfront, it was hard enough seeing $1900 getting taken out of my bank account, going past that $2000 barrier would of been really hard. I think I have up to a year to buy Applecare for my device, right? Definitely want to get it with how long i plan on keeping this laptop.

Deku Tree

Nearing about two weeks now with my Apple Refurbished rMBP 2015 15in. This computer is a beast. It's definitely on the hefty side, but I've adjusted to carrying it. It's only .5lb heavier then my older laptop, which was a 14" ASUS "Ultrabook". A lot more powerful too.

Anyways, as I was saying, this laptop is a beast. Really glad I went with the 15in model. With 16GB of RAM I should be able to keep this laptop for a long time and not have to worry about getting a new laptop anytime soon. The 15in retina screen is beautiful and just big enough to not need an external monitor all the time. Code looks really beautiful on this screen and the keyboard is great to type on. It's my new best friend.

But yeah, overall I feel it's a wonderful web development machine and I couldn't be happier. Great to finally have an Unix/Linux based OS where everything just works. Definitely worth the investment.

I want to get Applecare too, just didn't want to buy it upfront, it was hard enough seeing $1900 getting taken out of my bank account, going past that $2000 barrier would of been really hard. I think I have up to a year to buy Applecare for my device, right? Definitely want to get it with how long i plan on keeping this laptop.

Definately buy AppleCare. 3 years of gold plated protection for your computer. Buy it ASAP. Not sure if you have 90 days or a whole year or what.

The iPad Pro release has made me want to sell my iPad Air 2 to buy an old 15 Macbook Pro from 2010. Matte display. 2.4gHz. Dumb idea?

Part of it is nostalgia for having to sell my Macbook a few years ago to pay credit cards :(

kennah

The iPad Pro release has made me want to sell my iPad Air 2 to buy an old 15 Macbook Pro from 2010. Matte display. 2.4gHz. Dumb idea?

Part of it is nostalgia for having to sell my Macbook a few years ago to pay credit cards :(
Try for a 2011. There was a substantial upgrade between the years. A 2010 is still kinda ok, especially with 8 gigs of ram and an SSD, but I think it'd be worth it for you to find a 2011.

What kind of price are you looking St for the 2010?

Try for a 2011. There was a substantial upgrade between the years. A 2010 is still kinda ok, especially with 8 gigs of ram and an SSD, but I think it'd be worth it for you to find a 2011.

What kind of price are you looking St for the 2010?

I saw one on Craigslist for 450. Matte screen, 15 inch, 4gb ram, i5

It's part nostalgia because I sold my 2010 15in MPB a couple years ago cause I was really broke and had to pay my bills.

Partly because I know I want to get an iPad Pro sometime in the future.

Partly because I want a Mac at home to play with but can't justify buying a new Macbook Pro because I have a decent gaming PC and I have a 5k iMac at work...

kennah

Core 2s have not aged well under OS X. Huge performance gain with the i5/i7s.
2010 15" MacBook Pro is an i5. First generation. with an nvidia 320M
I saw one on Craigslist for 450. Matte screen, 15 inch, 4gb ram, i5

It's part nostalgia because I sold my 2010 15in MPB a couple years ago cause I was really broke and had to pay my bills.

Partly because I know I want to get an iPad Pro sometime in the future.

Partly because I want a Mac at home to play with but can't justify buying a new Macbook Pro because I have a decent gaming PC and I have a 5k iMac at work...
That's a bit high for a mac of that vintage. You should be able to find a 2011 for 500-600, and those have an i7 and significantly better video.

cjp

No HTML5 for the BBC website on Safari :(

Are you planning to add support for Safari on Mac OS X?

Safari on Mac OS X doesn’t support AVC3 via its Media Source Extensions implementation. It does, however, support HLS, and whilst we could offer HLS streams to Mac OS X Safari users (some of you have noticed that you can pretend to be an iPad and you get a working player) we’ve deliberately not enabled it during the trial. Why?

Well, we already know how to distribute and play HLS, as we do it today for iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and some TVs. However we can’t support options such as “Watch in HD”, “Lower Bandwidth” or other bandwidth saving features via HLS without a big investment - if at all - and ongoing increased costs just for one OS/browser combination is not something we want to do. When we make live streams available for testing, Safari’s HLS is further limited as it doesn’t currently support Live Rewind, a killer feature for many of our users.

To remove those options from Safari for the trial would have required the iPlayer team to disable some functionality on their website that is available with our existing streams or DASH. Our other alternative would have been having to delay the trial even longer, meaning it would take longer before we could get your feedback, and longer before we can move to HTML5 by default.

Fuchsdh

^ omg is the investment really that big? They make it sound like it would cost an addition million pounds.

Well, they're the BBC. They probably want a system that's going to be solid and they can sit on for years after the next best web video standard is out.

Considering all you need to do is enable the Develop menu and switch your UID, it's not a terribly big issue for end users either.

Top Bottom