• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Is there any way for me to wake my Mac remotely (on the same wifi network) if it's running Plex server? My problem is that I can't connect to the Mac Plex server from my iPhone at all once the computer goes to sleep unless I physically hit a button on the Mac's keyboard to wake it.

Deku Tree

Well, they're the BBC. They probably want a system that's going to be solid and they can sit on for years after the next best web video standard is out.

Considering all you need to do is enable the Develop menu and switch your UID, it's not a terribly big issue for end users either.

I have the develop menu enabled, didn't realize until now that I could just switch to iPad or iPhone and force HTML5... good stuff!

I still haven't tried either. I'm afraid to. Maybe next time I am near an Apple Store or other retailer that sells Macs. But I have plenty of time. I plan to get as much life out of this 2013 model as possible.

I was on the 2013 rMBP until my work got me a new one. I'm still not a fan of the keyboard or trackpad. Its not satisfying to use at all.

I can live with the keyboard but I want my clicks back on the trackpad, damnit! Thankfully I didnt buy the new Magic Trackpad or Keyboard. I'm gonna hang on to my current ones for as long as possible.

Force Touch is cool on the iPhone but I cant find a good use case for it on a laptop / desktop. I thought about adding a force gesture to open links in new tabs via BTT. Any other suggestions?

Is there any free software that will let you clone your HDD on OS X?

Haven't tried Disk Utility for it in 10.11, but in 10.10 and earlier it is very opaque: when things work it is fine, but if they don't it isn't helpful.

SuperDuper! And Carbon Copy Cloner do (or did) work as simple disk cloners in free mode. If you are regularly cloning the same disks to the same targets they are absolutely worth buying.

If you are comfortable with the command line and only need a file-based clone, then look up rsync or ditto howtos. dd is a block level clone but is as opaque as Disk Utility (which I am sure used it). All three are built-in.

Deku Tree

Haven't tried Disk Utility for it in 10.11, but in 10.10 and earlier it is very opaque: when things work it is fine, but if they don't it isn't helpful.

SuperDuper! And Carbon Copy Cloner do (or did) work as simple disk cloners in free mode. If you are regularly cloning the same disks to the same targets they are absolutely worth buying.

If you are comfortable with the command line and only need a file-based clone, then look up rsync or ditto howtos. dd is a block level clone but is as opaque as Disk Utility (which I am sure used it). All three are built-in.

I just need to do it once, never done it before... I want to put a 2TB drive into my PS4 and try to clone the existing 500mb onto the 2TB rather than reinstall everything...

I just need to do it once, never done it before... I want to put a 2TB drive into my PS4 and try to clone the existing 500mb onto the 2TB rather than reinstall everything...

You can try Disk Utility, but you may end up with a 500GB partition on your 2TB drive which would then need to be enlarged.

No harm in trying it (so long as you don't get source and destination backwards!).

Deku Tree

I once rescued a co-workers dying hard drive over another co-worker's system disk instead of the also-connected blank drive.

Oops.

Maybe I'll just disconnect all my other external drives before doing the clone.

EDIT: and I don't think even Disk Utility would let me clone a 2TB onto a 500GB.

Just got a Refurb 2015 Macbook Air (8GB Ram/256GB SSD), replacing my water damaged Early 2011 MacBook Pro...

...OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS COMPUTER. It's so light and snappy and awesome. Only wish it had a retina screen, but this is A-OK by me!

Deku Tree

Wait.... In El Capitan disk utility will not clone a HDD unless you boot into safe mode.... Or something like that... Forget it I just redownloaded everything.

Fuchsdh

Aww sorry man. That's butts.

Does anyone actually use Continuity?

My hardware might actually meet the specs in four or five years, maybe. As is only my MBP supports it and I'm usually not using it that often.

The lack of Airdrop between my iOS devices and my desktop is the pain I more acutely feel.

Deku Tree

My hardware might actually meet the specs in four or five years, maybe. As is only my MBP supports it and I'm usually not using it that often.

The lack of Airdrop between my iOS devices and my desktop is the pain I more acutely feel.
I have that but I never use it because you need to be sure both devices are powered on and seeing each other. If your not worried about data caps and you don't care about speed of transfer, like me, then just uploading to cloud storage and downloading to other computer, or device later is much easier.

Fuchsdh

I have that but I never use it because you need to be sure both devices are powered on and seeing each other. If your not worried about data caps and you don't care about speed of transfer, like me, then just uploading to cloud storage and downloading to other computer, or device later is much easier.

Mostly the use case I'd want it is things like when I have to take shots of my phone (doing a promo for an app, etc.) and then quickly dump it on my desktop. Dropbox is slower, Gmail compresses the image to hell and back.

Deku Tree

Mostly the use case I'd want it is things like when I have to take shots of my phone (doing a promo for an app, etc.) and then quickly dump it on my desktop. Dropbox is slower, Gmail compresses the image to hell and back.

I do stuff like that with photo stream, but I usually don't need it like five seconds later.

Deku Tree

I'm staying far away from iCloud photo and music libraries. I still sync my media with a cable like a dinosaur.

I don't use any of apples cloud for pay services either, or anyone else's. But I do use free cloud stuff like mainly Google drive, and I do use photo stream too. It's great. Still have to sync videos from my iPhone with a cable though.

kennah

I tried it for a few minutes. Was kinda neat but I don't think I'm going to give up office just yet.

I was wondering if there is anything that I'm missing about it. It's really nice to send texts from my computer , haven't taken a call yet haha

Deku Tree

So... I'm trying to back up (it is a first backup of) an 1.8 GHz i7 2011 MBA 13" running latest El Capitan... every single time about half way through the backup Time Machine slows to a crawl and it seems like it would take years to finish the backup... did everything I could think of and did everything I could read about on the internet to fix it. Tried a few different drives and the same thing keeps happening. Tested all drives with disk utility and they all seem to be in good shape.

Is this a known bug?

So... I'm trying to back up (it is a first backup of) an 1.8 GHz i7 2011 MBA 13" running latest El Capitan... every single time about half way through the backup Time Machine slows to a crawl and it seems like it would take years to finish the backup... did everything I could think of and did everything I could read about on the internet to fix it. Tried a few different drives and the same thing keeps happening. Tested all drives with disk utility and they all seem to be in good shape.

Is this a known bug?
How long did you let it run? Some parts of the drive seem to take longer to copy; I think if it has lots of tiny files.

Anyway, I usually just let the initial backup run overnight. Are you canceling the backup? Have you tried letting it run?

Deku Tree

How long did you let it run? Some parts of the drive seem to take longer to copy; I think if it has lots of tiny files.

Anyway, I usually just let the initial backup run overnight. Are you canceling the backup? Have you tried letting it run?

Yeah I let it run for over nine hours last night... should have been fine. Not that many tiny files.

What do people recommend for iPad now? I normally refresh my iPad every two years but got thrown off because they didn't upgrade the normal line this year. I have an original iPad Air... Do I wait another year for the Air 3 or are the Air 2 or the Mini the best to go for now?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have a small TV hooked up via HDMI to my iMac and it looks like hot garbage--text is blurry, color is way off... Anyone know why?
Make sure it's outputting at the native resolution and play around with the color calibration for it. When you open Preferences to the Displays part, does it recognize the TV as a specific brand or just some generic display?

Make sure it's outputting at the native resolution and play around with the color calibration for it. When you open Preferences to the Displays part, does it recognize the TV as a specific brand or just some generic display?

Says "SAMSUNG".

I read that it might be a different color output but I'm trying to figure out how to force it to RGB and I'm getting confused.

This happened to another monitor at work but when we plugged in through DVI it was perfect. Unfornately this monitor only has HDMI outputs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What do people recommend for iPad now? I normally refresh my iPad every two years but got thrown off because they didn't upgrade the normal line this year. I have an original iPad Air... Do I wait another year for the Air 3 or are the Air 2 or the Mini the best to go for now?

My air 2 still feels lovely and fast,and he 2GB ram makes a big difference. Almost makes up for the time I bought an iPad 3 at launch, only for it to be replaced 6 months later..

If you don't have any particular problems with the air, try and hang on. maybe the air 3 will get pencil support? But if you have the itch, the air 2 or mini 4 will be good to you.

EmiPrime

IMO the Mini 4 is the best iPad.

The speaker vibrations on the Air 2 are really unpleasant.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Says "SAMSUNG".

I read that it might be a different color output but I'm trying to figure out how to force it to RGB and I'm getting confused.

This happened to another monitor at work but when we plugged in through DVI it was perfect. Unfornately this monitor only has HDMI outputs.
First are you sure it's outputting at the native resolution?

Next I'd just play around with calibration until you find something that looks normal enough.

japtor

Says "SAMSUNG".

Two things, first is to just mess with calibration/settings on both the TV and iMac.

Otherwise yeah it might be outputting a different color space, iirc it automatically does when connected through HDMI. I forget if you can change it in the screen settings (look for a "television" checkbox or something, although that might only adjust for overscan) or if there's any other way in the default software stuff, vs some other apps that can tweak monitor settings further. What might work, but I'm not really sure, is using a MDP to DVI adapter, then DVI to HDMI. The hope is that it'd trick it into using the usual DVI (computer) color space/display settings...but the display's info might pass through anyway.

Edit- searched around a bit and found this:
http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

japtor

I'm kind of leaning towards that as I would share it with my girlfriend. Is there really much difference between the Mini 4 and the Air 2 besides screen size?
Air 2 has one more CPU core and more GPU grunt, but otherwise yeah they're pretty much identical. Well along with the smaller screen/body comes the lighter weight too.

Anandtech's review has a bunch of benchmark comparisons if you're curious:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9724/the-apple-ipad-mini-4-review

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Finally had a chance to use the iPad Pro in a quiet room... holy shit, it really does sound great. Sounds better than just about any laptop I've ever used.

Honestly, that's like... the very last thing that would convince me to buy it. But with that said, it's a damn nice perk for those getting one anyway.

Deku Tree

So if I have a Photos library on a case-sensitive drive, and I try to transfer it to a case-insensitive drive... it freaks out... copies for a long time and then says "sorry can't copy because there are two files with the same name in a case-insensitive sense"... and then it stops copying and deletes the whole operation...

... obviously my Photos library is huge and it is not reasonable to hunt and look for the offending files...

... is there any reasonable solution to transferring a photo's library from a case sensitive to a case insensitive drive and not losing any data?

Thanks!

MrDenny

B&H Photo has the new 4k imac for $1299, the 5k imac is $1599. (No tax in most states).
Was hoping for the 4k imac with a fusion drive, but that model isn't on sale.

Deku Tree

Ok I recently used "PowerPhotos" (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/) "duplicate" function to transfer my Photos library so that I could move it from a case sensitive drive to a case insensitive drive.

It looks like the "Masters" folder inside the package content of my Photos library has the same number of items and is the same size... does that tell me that everything transferred correctly?

(I have a 100gb Photos library.)

Any way to be really sure that I transferred all my photos over correctly? Thanks!

So I'm eyeing the iPad Mini 2 from Walmart for $199. Is it still a capable device with iOS 9 or should I shoot for something newer going the refurbished route?

japtor

So I'm eyeing the iPad Mini 2 from Walmart for $199. Is it still a capable device with iOS 9 or should I shoot for something newer going the refurbished route?
Decent enough, I'm using one right now, although if that's the 16GB one you might have to think about storage usage (fine for streaming, could get tight with big apps/games). Biggest thing for getting the mini 4 is 2GB RAM cause that allows side by side apps (vs just slide over and picture in picture), and should help with browsing and general multitasking. It's also thinner and (presumably) lighter, and has a better screen, and TouchID is nice.

Decent enough, I'm using one right now, although if that's the 16GB one you might have to think about storage usage (fine for streaming, could get tight with big apps/games). Biggest thing for getting the mini 4 is 2GB RAM cause that allows side by side apps (vs just slide over and picture in picture), and should help with browsing and general multitasking. It's also thinner and (presumably) lighter, and has a better screen, and TouchID is nice.
Yeah the 16 GB of storage is really the thing holding me back from buying it. 32 or 64 GB should be the standard by now.

Not sure if anyone can help me out but I'm trying to grab some online lectures off of Chrome so I can watch them on a plane.

I usually use Wondershare Convert but it hasn't worked so I tried using a plug in from Firefox. It was able to download the video but not at HD/1080p.

The player uses JW Player... but I really have no idea how it works.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dunno. I only keep Firefox around for video downloading and use DownloadHelper but it rarely ever lets me download 1080p by normal means and only supposedly works to get 1080p videos if you convert them but since I'm on OS X and it requires an install and configure of some command line app that may or may not even work at all I just say fuck it. But it might only have trouble with YouTube. Have you tried DownloadHelper?

lupin23rd

Have a few older Macs, and earlier this year was trying to get the data off the hard drive so I could wipe them clean and clear out some space in my apartment.

Turns out the disc drive on the one MacBook that is barely old enough to install Snow Leopard is broken, the power cable on the iMac is unstable such that it randomly turns off and so I haven't been able to back it up, and the iBook G4 doesn't want anything to do with Snow Leopard.

If I just rip out the hard drives and try to sell as-is, would I lose much value on the resale market? Not sure how much I'd be looking at getting either way, but assume that most people are picking these up for parts so I'm thinking I might still get some interest.

Assume the genius bar wouldn't be able to help with machines this old?

Deku Tree

Have a few older Macs, and earlier this year was trying to get the data off the hard drive so I could wipe them clean and clear out some space in my apartment.

Turns out the disc drive on the one MacBook that is barely old enough to install Snow Leopard is broken, the power cable on the iMac is unstable such that it randomly turns off and so I haven't been able to back it up, and the iBook G4 doesn't want anything to do with Snow Leopard.

If I just rip out the hard drives and try to sell as-is, would I lose much value on the resale market? Not sure how much I'd be looking at getting either way, but assume that most people are picking these up for parts so I'm thinking I might still get some interest.

Assume the genius bar wouldn't be able to help with machines this old?

Might want to call first if you live far away, but I have had the Genius Bar help me with older machines.

Top Bottom