• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

how do YA'LL clean your MacBook screens?

After reading about the screens peeling on some 15" rMBPs, I'm a little worried. I just use some microfiber clothe I have for my camera lenses.

You'll be fine. The peeling is either a manufacturing defect and/or bad solvents and cleaners. Unless you're putting undue pressure on the screen there's no way you're going to harm your screen cleaning it that way, or with some pure alcohol.

chadskin

how do YA'LL clean your MacBook screens?

After reading about the screens peeling on some 15" rMBPs, I'm a little worried. I just use some microfiber clothe I have for my camera lenses.

I use this EazyCare screen cleaner from AM Denmark:

1eazycare.jpg

• Flatscreen cleaner in cool acrylic appearance
• Microfibre mounted on soft foam
• 35 ml water-based cleaning fluid with spray

Works superbly. I also use the keyboard cleaner from them:

AM_85202_m.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You guys have any idea how long it takes an Apple Store to replace the battery on a mid-2012 Macbook Air?

If you go in the AM, you should be able to return by end of day to pick it up.

Deku Tree

I have a set up where my external 1TB drive is hooked up to my rMBP. But my 1TB drive is getting very full. Also this external drive is linked to several functions of my main drive, like holding iOS backups and it has my Photos and iTunes libraries on it.

If I switch to a 2TB drive, format it in the same way, give it the same name, and copy everything on to the new 2TB drive directly and then swap the two external drives... will everything on my rMBP keep working in the same way?

Or do I need to go in and re-do all the under the hood stuff to re-direct all the links and all that in order to make my rMBP work right with my new drive? Thanks!

EmiPrime

I have a set up where my external 1TB drive is hooked up to my rMBP. But my 1TB drive is getting very full. Also this external drive is linked to several functions of my main drive, like holding iOS backups and it has my Photos and iTunes libraries on it.

If I switch to a 2TB drive, format it in the same way, give it the same name, and copy everything on to the new 2TB drive directly and then swap the two external drives... will everything on my rMBP keep working in the same way?

Or do I need to go in and re-do all the under the hood stuff to re-direct all the links and all that in order to make my rMBP work right with my new drive? Thanks!

If you clone the old drive to the new one you shouldn't need to do anything. Use SuperDuper.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So it turns out that a stock 15" MBP with dGPU completely smokes a maxed out SurfaceBook despite being $200 cheaper and not having Skylake because the SurfaceBook is only dual core. Microsoft were comparing an entry level 13" MBP to their maxed out SurfaceBook (which is a bit more than double the price) when claiming to be twice as fast.

Bullshit merchants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82xP8_xs-Zw&feature=youtu.be
Why would you compare it to a 15" MBP? As far as I am aware they compared top of the line 13" surface book against top of the line 13" MBP. Chances are they chose GPU intensive benchmarks to guarantee victory.

Deku Tree

Why would you compare it to a 15" MBP? As far as I am aware they compared top of the line 13" surface book against top of the line 13" MBP. Chances are they chose GPU intensive benchmarks to guarantee victory.

According to that video that you quoted, he says that his sources at MS told him that they compared a top of the line surface book to a bottom spec MBP.

And the above video also compared them based upon comparable price, most comperable overall size, and comparable i7 processor. Might not be fair to compare i7 to i5. But the surface book doesn't have quad core.

Best buy has the 15" maxed out (minus the 1tb drive) $200 off.

And I am looking to consolidate from my 23" Dell monitor/13" rMBP combo to a 15" rMBP (sell the 13" and the dell monitor to go with a setup of only the 15" rMBP.

I do a good amount of video editing (maybe two hours per week), so the extra power would be beneficial. And I do have access to the whole Adobe suite which I would like to use more.

My only hesitation is that I fly about 1-2x/month and like to frequent coffee shops to work, which is why I went with the 13".

Do you think it would be a good middle ground to swap out the 13"/Dell 23 ultrasharp monitor for a 15" rMBP setup?

Deku Tree

And I am looking to consolidate from my 23" Dell monitor/13" rMBP combo to a 15" rMBP (sell the 13" and the dell monitor to go with a setup of only the 15" rMBP.

I do a good amount of video editing (maybe two hours per week), so the extra power would be beneficial. And I do have access to the whole Adobe suite which I would like to use more.

My only hesitation is that I fly about 1-2x/month and like to frequent coffee shops to work, which is why I went with the 13".

Do you think it would be a good middle ground to swap out the 13"/Dell 23 ultrasharp monitor for a 15" rMBP setup?

15" is noticeably bigger and heavier. But not by a huge amount. Is portability more important to you? Or extra power?

If money is not a factor you could keep both the 13 and the 15.

EmiPrime

It's not a good middle ground, it sounds like an awkward compromise. Lugging around a 15" laptop is not fun and will be less comfortable at home than working on a large monitor that is positioned at eye level.

I use an iMac and an 11" MBA and store all my files on Google Drive so swapping between the two is seamless. I really can't think of a better setup, I love it.

IMO a laptop can't replace a desktop and laptops that try to are often bad at being laptops.

I think you're better off sticking with your current setup than buying the 15" MBP.

Deku Tree

It's not a good middle ground, it sounds like an awkward compromise. Lugging around a 15" laptop is not fun and will be less comfortable at home than working on a large monitor that is positioned at eye level.

I use an iMac and an 11" MBA and store all my files on Google Drive so swapping between the two is seamless. I really can't think of a better setup, I love it.

IMO a laptop can't replace a desktop and laptops that try to are often bad at being laptops.

I think you're better off sticking with your current setup than buying the 15" MBP.

I have a max spec launch 15 rMBP hooked up to a 27" Dell a keyboard, Magic Trackpad, external speakers, usb 3.0 hub, and external usb 3.0 hdds and to me it works just as good as a desktop.

I just wish I had gone with the 13" MBP because yeah I don't find the 15" to be so portable. I was originally planning to use the 15" for trips. Now I use my 11" MBA that I bought later for portability because I hated lugging around the 15".

EmiPrime

I have a max spec launch 15 rMBP hooked up to a 27" Dell a keyboard, Magic Trackpad, external speakers, usb 3.0 hub, and external usb 3.0 hdds and to me it works just as good as a desktop.

I just wish I had gone with the 13" MBP because yeah I don't find the 15" to be so portable. I was originally planning to use the 15" for trips. Now I use my 11" MBA that I bought later for portability because I hated lugging around the 15".

Oh you can definitely make it work, quad core and dGPU 15" MBP is no slouch, but if someone is spending 15" MBP + monitor sort of money just to leave it on a desk because it's too much of a nuisance to carry around they may as well buy a 5K 27" iMac.

11" MBA <3

Deku Tree

Oh you can definitely make it work, quad core and dGPU 15" MBP is no slouch, but if someone is spending 15" MBP + monitor sort of money just to leave it on a desk because it's too much of a nuisance to carry around they may as well buy a 5K 27" iMac.

11" MBA <3

Yeah true when I got my OG rMBP the iMac was not like it is today... Would love to have a 4ghz 5K iMac.

Fuchsdh

I had no problem carrying around my 2008 Macbook Pro all around my classes for five years, and the modern notebooks are 20% lighter and 25% less volume.

If you need the power it's well worth the buy. No duh there are a lot more portable Macs, but that doesn't make the 15" a sea anchor.

Deku Tree

I had no problem carrying around my 2008 Macbook Pro all around my classes for five years, and the modern notebooks are 20% lighter and 25% less volume.

If you need the power it's well worth the buy. No duh there are a lot more portable Macs, but that doesn't make the 15" a sea anchor.

I used to carry around one of those... Still have it in a stored in a drawer somewhere.

It was good for its time, and sufficiently light compared to other options in 2008. But in 2015 it's a heavy brick in your backpack.

EmiPrime

By today's standards it definitely is though and a MBA has enough power on the go for almost anyone. I have to walk at least an hour most days with my laptop and a 15" laptop would kill me and I'd need a bigger bag just to accommodate it.

Weight and size aside, I am also a lot more comfortable carrying around my £650 MBA around central London than I would be a £1600+ 15" MBP.

Compared to the alternatives, a 15" laptop is not a good choice as a desktop replacement and it's not a good choice as a laptop. It's a bad compromise in both cases and most would be happier with a smaller laptop and an iMac.

Blackhead

Redarse
The main reason I want a 15" MBP is for the display. If Apple offered a 15" Macbook (or even 15" MBA) I think it would be the new topseller

Sister is insistent on a hardshell for her 13" rMBP that has a stand built in. Didn't know this was even a thing, but sure enough saw some of the non retina pros. In my admittedly quick searching, I couldn't find anything for rMBPs. Anyone got any suggestions/links?

Basically looking for something like this.

empyrean

Anybody installed Windows 10 on a new late 2015 iMac? On apples own site the late 2015 iMac models aren't listed as supporting bootcamp :/

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So I just got my battery replaced in my mid-2012 Air, and just fully charged it for the first time and it is saying I will only get a 7 hour charge. Now does Chrome really drain the battery that much or do I need to do a power cycle to get it up to snuff that is the claimed 12 hour battery life?

System Info:
SuiAV47.png

I guess try using Safari for a day, and find out whether it makes an appreciable difference to your battery life. I wouldn't have thought Chrome would be that power-hungry, but it's worth testing.

Quick update from my post before.

First, thanks for the opinions and discussion.

I ended up going into Best Buy and grabbing the high end 15" rMBP while it was still $2299 ($200 off).

Incredibly happy with it. First off it seems to run WAY cooler than my 2013 15" rMPB with the 750m did under heavy load (Video encoding/Adobe Premiere). And this is compared to a 2013 rMBP that even had the cooling fans cleaned regularly. The battery life is obvious better.

I was worried about the AMD dedicated graphics, but it is making things in FCX and the Adobe suite super snappy. Adding multiple effects to videos on the fly during playback is crazy, frames don't drop.

As for the size, maybe it is just since I am a strength coach and pretty strong, but the 4.5 lbs still seems light. Really it is 1 pound more than my 13" and gets a ton of extra power. And even for the footprint, it is almost better as on flights I rest my laptop on my lap because the tray tables+a reclined seat in front of you doesn't work for a 13" laptop. And the 15" is more comfortable than the 13" in my lap anyways with the wider footprint.

Not sure if I will sell the maxed out 13". I might sell it off now and get the next revision of the MacBook to have a super portable machine when I don't need the power of the rMBP on the road.

TLDR: The 2015 15" rMBP with dGPU is a super powerful machine with better battery life and a perfect reason why I love apple products. Very satisfied with the purchase.

Vashetti

Banned
So I just got my battery replaced in my mid-2012 Air, and just fully charged it for the first time and it is saying I will only get a 7 hour charge. Now does Chrome really drain the battery that much or do I need to do a power cycle to get it up to snuff that is the claimed 12 hour battery life?

Why aren't you using Safari?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I guess try using Safari for a day, and find out whether it makes an appreciable difference to your battery life. I wouldn't have thought Chrome would be that power-hungry, but it's worth testing.

Chrome is terrible with battery management.

Why aren't you using Safari?

Ok, so I am now using Safari, let the battery run completely out, then fully charged it. Now it is saying I have 4:21 hours of life at 100% and this is my new sys info:

Dammit Apple.

edit: also, my charging cable is frayed at the magsafe part and taped using electrical tape. This shouldn't be a problem but I just wanted to let you guys know.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apples cables suck. A lot of people end up with broken rubber at the ends and electrical tape to keep it going. I've been contrmplating buying a new one and preemptively cutting off 3" of rubber from the center of the cable and rewrapping it to alleviate the pressure. Because that's literally how much rubber I have trimmed off of my cable since I got it 2 years ago. This shit must expand like a mofo.

giga

I've never had a MagSafe fail on me but I also baby my cables. I welcome the move to usb type c so I can use anker for everything. Would be cheaper too.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Can anyone recommend me a way to process the audio of my microphone before feeding it to Skype? Specifically, I want to apply a noise gate, de-essing, EQ, and compression.

One solution would be to use Soundflower and something like Logic Pro X. The signal chain would be: microphone -> Logic Pro X -> Soundflower -> Skype.

My only issue with that is that Soundflower seems to be maintained badly and breaks with every new version of Mac OS X. Currently, there is only a hot-fixed beta version working with El Capitan that some guy forked from the main branch. Anyone know an alternative?

I also don't own Logic Pro X and want to look for a cheaper solution first. I could use GarageBand, but its plugins (noise gate, compressor) are limited. Final Cut Pro X has the Logic Plugins I want, but it does not allow me to monitor the processed audio, which is necessary to route it to Soundflower.

Deku Tree

I got FIOS 50/50 internet set up yesterday (I switched from comcast xfinity)... and then I was playing a Destiny Raid last night with five other players.... and I got disconnected three times... my entire internet including loading web pages on my iPad would stop working for 1-2 minutes then it would come back...

... I have my FIOS quantum gateway router with WIFI turned off plugged into my Airport Extreme (which provides the WIFI)...

... does anyone else have these disconnection problems with FIOS?

... is there a good way to configure my FIOS router and my Airport Extreme to minnimize lag and disconnects?

Fuchsdh

I got FIOS 50/50 internet set up yesterday (I switched from comcast xfinity)... and then I was playing a Destiny Raid last night with five other players.... and I got disconnected three times... my entire internet including loading web pages on my iPad would stop working for 1-2 minutes then it would come back...

... I have my FIOS quantum gateway router with WIFI turned off plugged into my Airport Extreme (which provides the WIFI)...

... does anyone else have these disconnection problems with FIOS?

... is there a good way to configure my FIOS router and my Airport Extreme to minnimize lag and disconnects?

No problem with my FIOS, but I'm also using it via a hardline plugged into a network switch for my Mac and Xboxes.

Deku Tree

No problem with my FIOS, but I'm also using it via a hardline plugged into a network switch for my Mac and Xboxes.

The WIFI isn't my problem. It has never gone out before.

I have read on the Internet of people having problems with FIOS connected thru coax cable vs. thru Ethernet cable. Not sure if this is a thing or just someone complaining on the Internet.

My only viable option is coax because my house is already wired up in the walls. Also Comcast Internet connected via coax never had these frequent short disconnects.

I really hope the next MacBook Pros receive the 10-bit, DCI P3 color space screens like the new iMacs.

My wishlist for the new MBPs is as simple as:
  • DCI P3 color space/10-bit screens
  • .5lb lighter for both the 13" and 15" (they could easily do this at this point)
  • 1440x900 (x2) resolution on the 13", 1680x1050 (x2) resolution on the 15"
  • Iris Pro graphics across the board (64MB on the 13", 128MB on the 15")

I really hope the next MacBook Pros receive the 10-bit, DCI P3 color space screens like the new iMacs.

My wishlist for the new MBPs is as simple as:
  • DCI P3 color space/10-bit screens
  • .5lb lighter for both the 13" and 15" (they could easily do this at this point)
  • 1440x900 (x2) resolution on the 13", 1680x1050 (x2) resolution on the 15"
  • Iris Pro graphics across the board (64MB on the 13", 128MB on the 15")

It would most likely be the Iris 540 or 550 and not Iris Pro 580 sadly. However I did read this rumor from Venture Capital Post about the possibility of using the GTX 950M maybe in the 15".

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/1012...intel-skylake-technology-2015-macbook-pro.htm

ShadiWulf

I ordered a 15in rMBP 2015 base model off Apple's refurbished store lastnight. Really excited, but at the same time I can't help but feel I might prefer the 13" model. I ended up going with the 15" model because I felt it was a better value price wise. When your upgrading the RAM and SSD in the base level Macbook Pro 13 Retina you are so close to the price of the 15 in model, and just a few hundred more you get so much more power.

So, if anyone knows from personal experience. is 8GB of RAM in the rMBP13 enough for the forseeable future with how fast Virtual Ram is on the macbook pro 2015 SSD's? I know 8GB is cutting it really close which would make me worried.

A friend of mine who does web development on 8GB macbook pro 13 retina says hes never ran into issues with the computer going slow, and he is quite a power user. He says the virtual ram works great at providing an extra boost.

Mainly web development related tasks for me. Maybe a Windows VM once in a while to test in IE, but that would be the only reason I'd see myself running a VM for the foreseeable future. No video editing or super large PSD files.

Wanted a future proofed computer, but If I feel its too big for my needs, just trying to decide if downgrading to 8GB is going to be a dealbreaker for me or not. Really curious to see how other peoples experiences developing on 8GB of RAM has been with an SSD on the Retina models.

Just such a conflicting decision.

EmiPrime

Wanted a future proofed computer, but If I feel its too big for my needs, just trying to decide if downgrading to 8GB is going to be a dealbreaker for me or not. Really curious to see how other peoples experiences developing on 8GB of RAM has been with an SSD on the Retina models.

My guess is that 8GB will be fine for the next 4-5 years for your needs, probably longer. My MBA has 8GB with Chrome and Evernote as my most used apps, I hope to get another 6 years out of it (with a battery replacement at some point in that time frame).

13" vs 15" is a discussion we've had a few times including recently.

giga

I ordered a 15in rMBP 2015 base model off Apple's refurbished store lastnight. Really excited, but at the same time I can't help but feel I might prefer the 13" model. I ended up going with the 15" model because I felt it was a better value price wise. When your upgrading the RAM and SSD in the base level Macbook Pro 13 Retina you are so close to the price of the 15 in model, and just a few hundred more you get so much more power.

So, if anyone knows from personal experience. is 8GB of RAM in the rMBP13 enough for the forseeable future with how fast Virtual Ram is on the macbook pro 2015 SSD's? I know 8GB is cutting it really close which would make me worried.

A friend of mine who does web development on 8GB macbook pro 13 retina says hes never ran into issues with the computer going slow, and he is quite a power user. He says the virtual ram works great at providing an extra boost.

Mainly web development related tasks for me. Maybe a Windows VM once in a while to test in IE, but that would be the only reason I'd see myself running a VM for the foreseeable future. No video editing or super large PSD files.

8GB will be fine, and you'll appreciate the extra power from the quad core 15" too.

Top Bottom