• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

TheRealGrampa

Neo Member
Hoping someone can help, I'm normally good with things like this, but this one has me stumped!
I've just done a fresh instal of El Capitan on my MacBook Pro. I am using VPN software, but when ever it goes to connect I'm just stuck in a constant loop of "networksetup is trying to modify the system network configuration. Type your password to allow this"
Everytime I type my password it pops straight back up again, any idea how to get around this?

I am using VPN software, but when ever it goes to connect I'm just stuck in a constant loop of "networksetup is trying to modify the system network configuration. Type your password to allow this"
Everytime I type my password it pops straight back up again, any idea how to get around this?

Is your VPN type not supported by the built-in clients?

Anyway, fire up Console, quit everything else, and try your VPN software. See what messages come up.

Maybe your VPN software needs a .kext installed that's now verboten because it's unsigned? Is there a newer version to try?

TheRealGrampa

Neo Member
Is your VPN type not supported by the built-in clients?

Anyway, fire up Console, quit everything else, and try your VPN software. See what messages come up.

Maybe your VPN software needs a .kext installed that's now verboten because it's unsigned? Is there a newer version to try?

Thanks for the response, I've set up a new admin account on my MacBook and the program works fine. I've been told it could be an issue with my keychain. I've reset my keychain and still have the same issue.
When I load console the message is "CFURLCopyResourcePropertyForKey failed because it was passed an URL which has no scheme"

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
When I load console the message is "CFURLCopyResourcePropertyForKey failed because it was passed an URL which has no scheme"

That's a very low-level error that could mean anything. Actually, it is likely that it points to a bug in the software that emitted that error. It is basically complaining that the software who used that API didn't feed it a correct URL, but instead one where the scheme ("http", "ftp", "file", etc.) was missing.

ncslamm

So I posted earlier in the thread that I bought the 5k iMac from BestBuy to give to myself for Christmas. Now I've got this sexy box just staring me in the face. I could open it now but I want to feel like a kid again so I'm holding out until at least Christmas Eve to open it. Damn I'm so tempted..

KljtIN7.jpg

Anybody have any software suggestions for me to download when I do open it? All I've got on my MBA is Office 2011, Spotify, and some Web Browsers. I want to maybe do some photo editing with the iMac since its a lot more powerful than my MBA. Only really interested in free software at the moment.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
.zip files are throwaway once they've been extracted, right?
If you want.

So I posted earlier in the thread that I bought the 5k iMac from BestBuy to give to myself for Christmas. Now I've got this sexy box just staring me in the face. I could open it now but I want to feel like a kid again so I'm holding out until at least Christmas Eve to open it. Damn I'm so tempted..
Just open it. Why wait? It's from you to you. Christmas is just a formality at this point. Put on your Santa hat and open it.

Fuchsdh

Anybody have any software suggestions for me to download when I do open it? All I've got on my MBA is Office 2011, Spotify, and some Web Browsers. I want to maybe do some photo editing with the iMac since its a lot more powerful than my MBA. Only really interested in free software at the moment.

Photos can do a fair amount in terms of photo editing if you mostly just want control over the basics (brightness, contrast, vibrance/clarity, basic levels, redeye.)

Free software I always download and add: Transmission for any torrenting needs: The Unarchiver for opening stuff that the built-in Expander can't deal with, Dropbox, GrandPerspective for when my drive gets full and I need to figure out what to delete, and VLC.

Deku Tree

I got my 5K iMac all set up in the last week.

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
512GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
Magic Trackpad 2
Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide

It is too good to wait. Just open it. You'll love it.

What's a good way of seeing what devices are on my network at a given time? Anything other than router settings?

nmap.

Install it from any of the open-source package managers.

If your home network is 192.168.1.x, then run it like so to ping each of the possible addresses:
Code:
nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

ncslamm

I got my 5K iMac all set up in the last week.

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
512GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
Magic Trackpad 2
Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide

It is too good to wait. Just open it. You'll love it.

Nice. The specs on yours are much better than mine. I'm staying patient and waiting for Christmas to open it. It will be worth it. I really don't have any family to exchange gifts with so I want to do something for myself and waiting till Christmas day is what I'm going to do. Seriously considering buying the Trackpad as well. I love the trackpad on my MBA and I'm assuming it does all of that for your iMac?

Deku Tree

Nice. The specs on yours are much better than mine. I'm staying patient and waiting for Christmas to open it. It will be worth it. I really don't have any family to exchange gifts with so I want to do something for myself and waiting till Christmas day is what I'm going to do. Seriously considering buying the Trackpad as well. I love the trackpad on my MBA and I'm assuming it does all of that for your iMac?

The trackpad has force touch if that's what you mean. It's kinda cool. Not a game changer though.

ncslamm

The trackpad has force touch if that's what you mean. It's kinda cool. Not a game changer though.

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I'll probably hold off on getting one for a while. Dropping over $2k plus the other money spent on xmas is hurting right now.

Just got my 13in Macbook pro, liking it so far, I'm wondering if there is a way that I can set up a single tap to act as a right mouse click? The option isn't there in BetterTouchTool...

Fuchsdh

Is that a new 15" MacBook?

To me it does look bigger than the current new 12-inch MacBook, and thicker than the current 15" rMBP. But the shot is from a distance and out of focus, and it's doubtful that Apple would let a new product leak into yesterday's 60 minutes episode.

Yeah it does look bigger, but without knowing the lensing of the shot I can't get a good idea of what distance they're looking at. Could just be an optical illusion.

Either way I would normally agree with the dismissal that Apple isn't stupid enough to leave that lying around, but truth is stranger than fiction. God knows what I've accidentally left in frame of shoots that were obvious in hindsight.

Seems a little early for another form factor change on the MBP to me though, notwithstanding my own thought that for now they're perfectly light and should be focused on other things. The MacBooks are already their bleeding edge of thin design, and it took a while before those traits migrated to their other lines. It's also worth looking at past redesigns—not counting the PowerBook to Macbook switch, which wasn't a big change cosmetically, they've refreshed the design in 2012, 2008, and 2003-ish (depending on how much you want to get into the details and differences of the TiBooks versus the AiBooks.)

If they shift heavily into using Thunderbolt 3 as the single port to rule them all via the USB Type-C form factor, then maybe that'd prompt them to redesign it, but just in terms of aesthetics they've long ago reached diminishing returns on that front. There's only so many ways to make unibody aluminum enclosures.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't have to be a form factor redesign. To me that just looks like a normal 15" with a darker color. They could just be adding color choices.

As long as they aren't removing all the ports from a Pro machine.

Fuchsdh

Doesn't have to be a form factor redesign. To me that just looks like a normal 15" with a darker color. They could just be adding color choices.

As long as they aren't removing all the ports from a Pro machine.

You'd think Tim Cook would be against the crazy proliferation of SKUs they've got going on now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And my fear is when that keynote happens, they'll put in the Core M processors in there which would be awful.
I lost hope in the Mac mini when they made the low end model a piece of crap just to get the price back to $500. It's even on the list of Macs AFTER the Mac Pro. (Which they also seem to neglect these days) They don't care about it anymore. It will rarely get updates now. Forget it. I've switched to the iMac line. (Just don't get the $1100 model. It's barely better than the $500 mini) Sure you spend more because of the display, but you can just sell the old one and make some of that up anyway. And it'll last longer anyway. Much more powerful. Eh. No more mini for me sadly. I went all out and got the 27" iMac with dGPU.

I guess if you get the $700 model at least you can still upgrade it somewhat. Then again, you have to go higher on the iMac to be able to replace the RAM there too.

So I guess the bottom line is, whether you go iMac or Mac mini, do not get the cheap model. Not even once. ~1.5GHz i5 on the low end vs. ~3GHz on the next model up for a couple hundred more.

Who knows what the next update will have, when it actually comes.

Deku Tree

I lost hope in the Mac mini when they made the low end model a piece of crap just to get the price back to $500. It's even on the list of Macs AFTER the Mac Pro. (Which they also seem to neglect these days) They don't care about it anymore. It will rarely get updates now. Forget it. I've switched to the iMac line. (Just don't get the $1100 model. It's barely better than the $500 mini) Sure you spend more because of the display, but you can just sell the old one and make some of that up anyway. And it'll last longer anyway. Much more powerful. Eh. No more mini for me sadly. I went all out and got the 27" iMac with dGPU.

I guess if you get the $700 model at least you can still upgrade it somewhat. Then again, you have to go higher on the iMac to be able to replace the RAM there too.

So I guess the bottom line is, whether you go iMac or Mac mini, do not get the cheap model. Not even once. ~1.5GHz i5 on the low end vs. ~3GHz on the next model up for a couple hundred more.

If you buy any Mac, never get the cheap model. It's always a much worse value than the pricier models.

EmiPrime

My iMac and MBA have an i5 and I haven't regretted it for one second. Hyper-threading is almost useless for my use.

Storage and RAM are far more important BTO upgrades. GPU upgrades on the 27" iMac are way more useful than an i7 too unless you're buying it for 4K video editing.

Most normal users probably won't need the increased power of an i7. For them it's effectively paying more money for a computer which runs hotter and whose battery drains faster.

A friend of mine told me if I were going to get the 5K iMac that I should only get it with the M395X or forget it. I don't have almost $3,000 however I can afford about 1/3 of that with the Mac mini to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM and an SSD.

EmiPrime

A friend of mine told me if I were going to get the 5K iMac that I should only get it with the M395X or forget it. I don't have almost $3,000 however I can afford about 1/3 of that with the Mac mini to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM and an SSD.

If you don't want to spend too much, late 2013 iMacs on ebay are pretty affordable and have a dGPU. They probably show up on the refurb store occasionally too.

I think it would be a better purchase than a Mini.

I wonder if they've updated the SSDs with the new ones they've put in all Macs or does the 2014 Mac mini and new 2015 iMacs have different SSDs.

Deku Tree

I really like the edge on the new iMac. I was an edge hater for a long time, and I was thinking it was silly and not-needed too big of a sacrifice etc and silly. But having one on my desk it looks really nice and I like it.

Top Bottom