• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

ncslamm

Well I finally opened my iMac and I'm just trying to set everything up right now. All i can say is wow! The keyboard is taking some getting used to but overall I love it! Don't regret spending all of that money now.

ncslamm

Honda, Apple, Sony… Always worth the premium. :)

Haha very true. iMac 5k, Macbook Air, iPhone 6+, 60" Bravia, PS4. Don't have a Honda, though. I'm a Subaru guy.

Also, I've got to say that migrating my files from the MBA to the Mac was so easy. I'm really impressed. I had all my documents, powerpoint, photos, printer, email accounts, and iMessage synced up within 10 minutes.

does anyone know if this is possible, or is this just a crazy idea? i was wondering if it was possible to purchase a gaming GPU, put it in an external closure and use it on my late-2013 27-inch iMac? the deal breaker here is that I want to use it on my iMac's built-in display, but only when I'm gaming while using Windows 10 in bootcamp. is this possible? if I would have to use a second monitor, then I'm just gonna skip the crazy idea haha. I want to spend the least money possible right now (so no building a new gaming pc, buying monitors, etc...) to make my iMac just a little better at gaming at higher resolutions. I don't really care about using the external GPU while using El Capitan, because I don't game on my Mac partition at all.

my iMac has a Geforce GT 755M, so you can see how I struggle when I try to play newer games, haha.

giga

Honda...premium?

Anyway I'm thinking of getting a used Mac Pro for a workstation/nas. The old cheese graters. Anyone go that route to save some money?

kennah

I should have prefaced that it would be used a lot for Lightroom work, which is heavily multi threaded. That's my current issue with my 13" rMBP -- it really chugs when editing large raws.

From Geekbench, it seems the old Mac Pros are still king for multi core work. https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Even then. Still very limited by the Core 2 architecture and DDR2 RAM. With the Mac Pro at work it was faster for me to copy my files to a stick, go home, render them on my i7, and then go back to work.

does anyone know if this is possible, or is this just a crazy idea? i was wondering if it was possible to purchase a gaming GPU, put it in an external closure and use it on my late-2013 27-inch iMac? the deal breaker here is that I want to use it on my iMac's built-in display, but only when I'm gaming while using Windows 10 in bootcamp. is this possible? if I would have to use a second monitor, then I'm just gonna skip the crazy idea haha. I want to spend the least money possible right now (so no building a new gaming pc, buying monitors, etc...) to make my iMac just a little better at gaming at higher resolutions. I don't really care about using the external GPU while using El Capitan, because I don't game on my Mac partition at all.

my iMac has a Geforce GT 755M, so you can see how I struggle when I try to play newer games, haha.

While I've never actually used an external GPU, it's something I looked into extensively in the past. nVidia has some special drivers for a few of their cards that allow them to drive internal displays from external enclosures—but you lose about 30% of the card's power in the process.

The thing is, thunderbolt enclosures cost so much that you'd actually be better off just building a separate computer. I'm not sure why, and it's pretty ridiculous. A shame, too—I would have loved to get an external GPU for my little Macbook Air, but I ultimately decided that it would be better to just build a separate Hackintosh desktop.

nampad

I am looking for an alternative to the VLC player. It just needs to play every file I throw at it. I googled and the Mplayer X caught my interest. Remembered using it some years ago.

Unfortunately, the installer was ridden with adware. After seeing it try to install the 3rd one I just said no and deleted the installer. I just can't trust this shit.

Any suggestions?

I am looking for an alternative to the VLC player. It just needs to play every file I throw at it. I googled and the Mplayer X caught my interest. Remembered using it some years ago.

Unfortunately, the installer was ridden with adware. After seeing it try to install the 3rd one I just said no and deleted the installer. I just can't trust this shit.

Any suggestions?

mpv is my player of choice. You can get the latest build here. It plays everything and is very lightweight. Only downsides are that it doesn't have a real GUI and it does not update automatically (just periodically get the newest build from the site above).

Anyway I'm thinking of getting a used Mac Pro for a workstation/nas. The old cheese graters. Anyone go that route to save some money?

Yes, I'm on my second used Mac Pro, a 2008. Works fine. Have SSDs mounted on PCI-E cards and an unflashed PC Nvidia GPU.

Even then. Still very limited by the Core 2 architecture and DDR2 RAM. With the Mac Pro at work it was faster for me to copy my files to a stick, go home, render them on my i7, and then go back to work.

2009 and onwards are not Core 2-based Xeons and are DDR3.

Sourcerer

Anyone got any advice on where to sell a 27" iMac in the UK? I'm worried about selling to random eBay buyers and like incase they claim I sent them an empty box or something.

If a Mac mini were to be released in 2016 (probably in the later part of the year), what would be the most likely graphics chip to be used in it?

I honestly don't think it would be the Iris Pro 580 as that would be reserved for the retina 4K iMac given that it's already using the Iris Pro 6200. It's also likely the 580 will be used in the 15" MacBook Pro but hopefully there will be two models utilizing both the 580 and a dedicated chip.

This leaves two choices the Iris 540 or Iris 550. The Iris 540 is attached to two i5 U chips and two i7 U chips that operate at 15 watts. The 550 is attached to one i3, two i5, and one i7 U chips at 28 watts and those would probably go in the 13" MacBook Pro.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/02/intel-skylake-notebooks-desktops/

Red

I received a Magic Trackpad as a Christmas gift. Also a $50 Amazon card. Would it be worth selling the trackpad and getting a Magic Trackpad 2? Anyone find the new one more useful?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I received a Magic Trackpad as a Christmas gift. Also a $50 Amazon card. Would it be worth selling the trackpad and getting a Magic Trackpad 2? Anyone find the new one more useful?
The new one has Force Click which allows for even more gestures if you're into that sort of thing. I'd say it's worth it. I still have an old MT. I actually haven't even played with Force Click yet. I guess another thing to realize is because of this, there is no actual click. I assume the MT2 has the same force feedback motor in it to make it vibrate on click.

The new one has Force Click which allows for even more gestures if you're into that sort of thing. I'd say it's worth it. I still have an old MT. I actually haven't even played with Force Click yet. I guess another thing to realize is because of this, there is no actual click. I assume the MT2 has the same force feedback motor in it to make it vibrate on click.

Also should be clickable or more variable surfaces. (Original trackpad clicked via the feet pressing inward, hence you couldn't just have it in your lap or something, needed a flat surface)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also should be clickable or more variable surfaces. (Original trackpad clicked via the feet pressing inward, hence you couldn't just have it in your lap or something, needed a flat surface)
Yeah, that too. The buttons were in the front feet. If you had it over the edge of the desk and didn't notice or had it on a soft surface like a bed or something, it wouldn't click if you didn't have tap-to-click turned on. And I hate tap-to-click.

Wonder if any of you folks would know what my issue is aside from my iMac being too old. Pretty sure I bought it in 2007 or 2008. My son received an iPad 2 for Christmas from a relative and I was planning to put some games and movies on it for him for car rides. When I connected it I got a message that I couldn't use the iPad because I needed to update iTunes to a newer version. I have the latest version for the iMac I have. I can't upgrade to El Capitan because my iMac can't run it. My iPhone 6 on iOS 9.2 works fine on it and the iPad is on the same firmware. Any idea what why I'm having this problem? I know the iMac is old but but it works fine for what I need until now.

Deku Tree

Wonder if any of you folks would know what my issue is aside from my iMac being too old. Pretty sure I bought it in 2007 or 2008. My son received an iPad 2 for Christmas from a relative and I was planning to put some games and movies on it for him for car rides. When I connected it I got a message that I couldn't use the iPad because I needed to update iTunes to a newer version. I have the latest version for the iMac I have. I can't upgrade to El Capitan because my iMac can't run it. My iPhone 6 on iOS 9.2 works fine on it and the iPad is on the same firmware. Any idea what why I'm having this problem? I know the iMac is old but but it works fine for what I need until now.

Are you on Mavericks?

Compatible macs with El Cap: http://www.imore.com/which-macs-will-support-os-x-el-capitan

You can install your apps using the App Store directly in the iPad.

Red

Yeah, that too. The buttons were in the front feet. If you had it over the edge of the desk and didn't notice or had it on a soft surface like a bed or something, it wouldn't click if you didn't have tap-to-click turned on. And I hate tap-to-click.
Thanks guys. Specifically I want to know if the force touch features impove workflow for anyone who edits photo or video. I already have an Intuous Pro. I am not really on my Mac all that often except for editing, so little bonuses like clicking dates to make appointments don't do much for me.

I use Adobe software... Photoshop, Lightroom, Premier.

Thanks again!

Deku Tree

I can't install El Cap because the iMac has 1gb of memory lol. Didn't think that would come back to bite me 8 years later. Regardless my iTunes version is compatible with the iPad 2 per the support site on Apple.com.

What iMac is it?

If you want to keep it for a while longer then you can and maybe should install some more ram yourself. It's fairly inexpensive too.

Check crucial.com.

Not sure why your having issues connecting the Air2 though.

What iMac is it?

If you want to keep it for a while longer then you can and maybe should install some more ram yourself. It's fairly inexpensive too.

Check crucial.com.

Not sure why your having issues connecting the Air2 though.

Thanks. I will check that out. For the life of me I have no clue.

BaldEmperor - I could only answer your iMac question so I cut out the iPad stuff and answered it as best I could. Also wow... 1 GB of RAM. My Mac mini came with 2 GB (albeit it was with Lion) and I immediately upgraded to 8 GB. My next mini will have 16 GB or possibly 32 if there's a Skylake version released.

Unsure of what to do here. My benefits covers up to the cost of the top stock model iMac 27" (i5, 2tb fusion, m395), but if I wanted any upgrades I would have to put my own money to cover the difference. Ideally I'd like m395x and 512gb ssd. However I can always sell and upgrade again in a couple years using benefits. Just take what I can get or splash out a bit? #firstworldproblems

Unsure of what to do here. My benefits covers up to the cost of the top stock model iMac 27" (i5, 2tb fusion, m395), but if I wanted any upgrades I would have to put my own money to cover the difference. Ideally I'd like m395x and 512gb ssd. However I can always sell and upgrade again in a couple years using benefits. Just take what I can get or splash out a bit? #firstworldproblems

Definitely get the M395X and I would just settle for the 256 GB PCIe SSD and put the rest on an external HDD. I am not a believer in the Fusion and never have. If you can afford the extra $200 for the 512 GB PCIe SSD than do so.

Deku Tree

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Other

1569 days and counting waiting for that Apple TB display update. Still using a USB2.0 Hub in 2016 Lolz.

IDK really depends on your financial situation and what you'll be doing with it in a few years and also your needs.

Is it your machine or will your employer claim to own it in the long run? If you try to get a new machine with benefits in a few years do you have to "give back" the old one?

I bought the m395x and then 512gb SSD. And I am planning to keep it hopefully for a long time. Seems very future proof to me as long as the hardware holds up.

But if I could get a top stock with benefits and upgrade it to a new machine in a few years with benefits (i.e. Free) then I might have done that. For most uses the top stock is going to be virtually identical to the higher end custom configurations IMO in the short term.

IDK really depends on your financial situation and what you'll be doing with it in a few years and also your needs.

Is it your machine or will your employer claim to own it in the long run? If you try to get a new machine with benefits in a few years do you have to "give back" the old one?

I bought the m395x and then 512gb SSD. And I am planning to keep it hopefully for a long time. Seems very future proof to me as long as the hardware holds up.

But if I could get a top stock with benefits and upgrade it to a new machine in a few years with benefits (i.e. Free) then I might have done that. For most uses the top stock is going to be virtually identical to the higher end custom configurations IMO in the short term.

Thanks for the reply. The bolded is more along the lines of my reasoning. No, I would not have to give the computer back. I could technically upgrade every year as long as I put aside the required allotment of credits, so to speak. However, I figure the initial outlay of $3000CAD + about $500-1000 every year plus what I get from the initial machine sales on the market every year or two will ensure I can essentially keep a top stock model for essentially "free" from now until I retire. It seemed to me to almost make no sense to put my own money into upgrades when this will do in the short terms and will for all intents in purposes, be an extremely fast machine in the short term.

mackaveli

What is Tech Tool Pro? Is it a legit program? My brother computer has this program installed. And it takes up 5 gb in application support? He has no idea what this program is and if he can delete it?

He does use time machine for backups. removing tech tool shouldn't interfere?

I believe the IT guy at his faculty for school installed the program. He installed a bunch of programs for all faculty member computers. But what is the purpose?

Also anyway to free up space in El Captain? I know in prior Mac OS X you could remove the languages and printer software you don't need. Is this still available to remove in El Captain? or no?

Thanks.

Deku Tree

What is Tech Tool Pro? Is it a legit program? My brother computer has this program installed. And it takes up 5 gb in application support? He has no idea what this program is and if he can delete it?

He does use time machine for backups. removing tech tool shouldn't interfere?

I believe the IT guy at his faculty for school installed the program. He installed a bunch of programs for all faculty member computers. But what is the purpose?

Also anyway to free up space in El Captain? I know in prior Mac OS X you could remove the languages and printer software you don't need. Is this still available to remove in El Captain? or no?

Thanks.

https://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro

Might want to keep it if you have a license and the space. I don't think it's free.

mackaveli

https://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro

Might want to keep it if you have a license and the space. I don't think it's free.

Yeah I was trying to read it. But I don't know is it a good program? Like it's not something my brother should worry about it if is preinstalled? He thinks it was the IT guy but he's not positive.

I can't tell if it's a hindrance or actually a positive to have? Your thoughts?

Like it's not one of those anti virus softwares that say they protect your mac when they don't really do anyhing?

Deku Tree

Yeah I was trying to read it. But I don't know is it a good program? Like it's not something my brother should worry about it if is preinstalled? He thinks it was the IT guy but he's not positive.

Like it's not one of those anti virus softwares that say they protect your mac when they don't really do anyhing?

I think it's a good program. Does a lot of complex tests that you can't do with OS X. Might not need them most of the time. It's really software for an IT employee.

Red

I decided to keep the Apple Trackpad. Maybe I'll upgrade once more force touch support is built into apps. Weird thing: my bluetooth icon is now completely missing from system preferences. I deleted my plist file and will reboot once the video I'm working on finishes converting. Will see then if I can connect the trackpad.

Not sure what's going on exactly, as I am using a bluetooth keyboard which is working properly even as Lightblue tells me bluetooth is not enabled. Weird.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thats strange. It's working though? When you search for bluetooth in the find box in System Preferences, does it appear in the list?

Rebooted?

Red

Thats strange. It's working though? When you search for bluetooth in the find box in System Preferences, does it appear in the list?

Rebooted?

I have a few hours left on this video before I can reboot. Bluetooth is working but doing a search does not reveal it in system preferences. There are no bluetooth sharing or networking options available. Searching bluetooth in spotlight gives me a "no bluetooth module available" error. But I am using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard that are both working correctly. No idea.

Like Deku said, TTP is legit, and on the off chance that you need it in the future, you'll be pretty glad you have it. Actually, it used to have a lot of options for tweaking Sekrit Apple Settings, so it's worth poking around with to see what all you can customize on your box. Just be careful about playing with anything that sounds like it might be destructive. :p

My keyboard and mouse all of a sudden locked up and I'm not sure whats going on.

5k iMac...

First the Finder stopped working, then I couldn't type or click on anything. I could still move the cursor around.

So my favorite computer of all time is dying

i really want one of those new macbooks but the benchmarks its not doing too good

Surely they will update it in march or something

but i kind of need a new computer now

that asus ux305 looks pretty snazzy and its about half the price

i didnt think id ever go back to pc but maybe i should just wait until the skylake update on macbook

sometimes i wish i lived in a country where there werent so many choices

Top Bottom