• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

So I got that Corsair Voyager GTX drive in.

Holy shit is this thing worthless. Claimed 450MB/s reads with 360MB/s writes and I'm only getting 30MB/s reads and writes. Disk speed tests give the claimed speeds but real world transfers sure don't.

Ive used drives a third the price that are faster.

Sending this back.

Edit:

Was gonna erase the pre edit but i'll leave it.

So not sure what it was, possibly the computer not doing a full wake from sleep, but after trying some more actual transfers, I am getting close to advertised speeds now.
Will continue to evaluate.

Deku Tree

Lots of people hate on where apple is going with their computer design. But it is amazing to see them growing their PC business in such a declining market.

gartner_4Q15_global.jpg

caramac

I'm in the market for a new router and would really like to go for the airport extreme. We have an iMac and MBP in the household plus several iPhones coming and going.
The only thing that concerns me slightly is l'm reading of NAT/ connection issues for xbox live.
I run two XB1 both on wired connections.
Anyone have any first hand experience or advice?

Deku Tree

I'm in the market for a new router and would really like to go for the airport extreme. We have an iMac and MBP in the household plus several iPhones coming and going.
The only thing that concerns me slightly is l'm reading of NAT/ connection issues for xbox live.
I run two XB1 both on wired connections.
Anyone have any first hand experience or advice?

I have my PS4 hard wired into my AirPort Extreme and it works perfectly and I play online a lot. Dunno about XBL though.

In fact I have a FIOS quantum router wired into my AirPort Extreme and originally I had the PS4 wired into the FIOS and that was giving me disconnection problems.

Then I wired the PS4 instead into the AirPort Extreme and I haven't had one problem since then for months now.

Fuchsdh

And less modifiable, I guess, with not being able to easily open up their products and in some cases (e.g., MacBook Air) not being able to replace or upgrade RAM.

You can't upgrade the RAM yourself on the majority of Apple's products at this point—the Mac mini, Macbook, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro, as well as the Macbook Air-in-a-iMac-case entry level iMac all have soldered memory. The 21.5" iMac has serviceable memory that's not easily accessible. That leaves just the 27" iMac and the Mac Pro.

Deku Tree

Well Apple sells high quality ram for a small premium over what you would pay someplace else like say at Crucial. Apples new policy motivates me to just always go with Max ram on a non-upgradable machine. It's a tiny percentage of the cost of the machine.

So it's not going to be for a while, but I've pretty much decided that when the skylake MacBook Retina gets released I'm going to sell my late 2014 13" MacBook Pro Retina 256GB for it. I don't do anything Pro on my machine in the slightest and I'm down with a fanless design

That said, I'm pretty terrible at pricing these things out for the secondhand market. It's the base specs save for the 256GB flash storage, plus comes with 2 more years of AppleCare. Runs flawlessly and no physical damage whatsoever

Fuchsdh

So it's not going to be for a while, but I've pretty much decided that when the skylake MacBook Retina gets released I'm going to sell my late 2014 13" MacBook Pro Retina 256GB for it. I don't do anything Pro on my machine in the slightest and I'm down with a fanless design

That said, I'm pretty terrible at pricing these things out for the secondhand market. It's the base specs save for the 256GB flash storage, plus comes with 2 more years of AppleCare. Runs flawlessly and no physical damage whatsoever

Where are you trying to sell it? Looks like eBay has similar models in the $850–$1100 range.

Where are you trying to sell it? Looks like eBay has similar models in the $850–$1100 range.

I'd do eBay if I have to, but would prefer craigslist or something local

Edit: Would it be recommended to sell this thing before the announcement of the new one? I don't REALLY use my MacBook for anything at all and don't want it to drop in value too much

Fuchsdh

Edit: Would it be recommended to sell this thing before the announcement of the new one? I don't REALLY use my MacBook for anything at all and don't want it to drop in value too much

You'll definitely get more for your machine selling it off sooner rather than later.

I've only used eBay and third-party resellers for my Macs, buying and selling. Craigslist you can find things cheaper, but there's no protection if, for example, they're selling older kit with misleading IDs or specs. Also I like my organs inside of my body and not spilled out on a street corner :)

Deku Tree

You'll get less money but you can also do this: http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/

Again the sooner you do it, the more money that you will get. It can net you an Apple gift card. Amazon has something similar, as do a few other places.

Fuchsdh

You'll get less money but you can also do this: http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/

Again the sooner you do it, the more money that you will get. It can net you an Apple gift card. Amazon has something similar, as do a few other places.

You can also sell your Mac to a used reseller like Mac of All Trades. You'll get less money but unlike selling it yourself, you don't have to worry about scammers.

Basically you have to decide on what continuum of less money/less risk —> more money/more risk you want to sit on.

Deku Tree

You can also sell your Mac to a used reseller like Mac of All Trades. You'll get less money but unlike selling it yourself, you don't have to worry about scammers.

Basically you have to decide on what continuum of less money/less risk —> more money/more risk you want to sit on.

Yeah with eBay you are always risking the buyer claiming that your computer is in much worse shape than it really is, or damaging it and sending it back to you, or something like that... from what I hear eBay and paypal pretty much always sides with the buyer in these cases and you get screwed. With Craigslist etc I guess the risk is that a criminal with bad intentions shows up to buy your computer instead of someone who really wants to pay what your asking for it. i've sold a few things on Craigslist and never had an experience like that... but I never sold something as valuable as a 2014 rMBP computer.

Checked out both of those options, and while they would be convenient it looks like I'd be losing around $400-$500 cash value, since they're lower offers anyway but also don't take into account the AppleCare on it

I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay, so I'll just go that route and hope for the best, honestly

Fuchsdh

Yeah with eBay you are always risking the buyer claiming that your computer is in much worse shape than it really is, or damaging it and sending it back to you, or something like that... from what I hear eBay and paypal pretty much always sides with the buyer in these cases and you get screwed. With Craigslist etc I guess the risk is that a criminal with bad intentions shows up to buy your computer instead of someone who really wants to pay what your asking for it. i've sold a few things on Craigslist and never had an experience like that... but I never sold something as valuable as a 2014 rMBP computer.

My issue with when I looked at Craigslist is that misleading (either by ignorance or by design) listings are rampant. People trying to pawn off 1,1 Mac Pros as more recent models, PowerBook G4s as MacBooks, et al. The same thing happens on eBay, but its setup and photo-centric focus makes them much easier to spot (and again, you've got the likelihood that they're going to side with you if the seller tries to screw you.)

I've gotten burned once trying to sell my MBP on eBay—guy "bought" it then immediately deactivated his account, causing me all sorts of grief because I couldn't resell it due to new user restrictions—but I've been protected far more, and that's worth it to me (like when the guy shipped an iMac G4 in just a box—no packing material or padding at all.)

ncslamm

Glad you linked this. Ever since I got my 5k 27" iMac in december I haven't used my early 2014 MBA at all. I wanted to sell it but didn't want to risk the whole ebay/craiglist thing with a computer. Through that link they are offering me $345 which is fair to me considering how safe it is. I paid $800 for it a couple of years ago and it's a really low end model. I think I'll use the gift card to get a magic trackpad.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Is that a new 15" MacBook?

To me it does look bigger than the current new 12-inch MacBook, and thinner than the current 15" rMBP. But the shot is from a distance and out of focus, and it's doubtful that Apple would let a new product leak into yesterday's 60 minutes episode.

Oh man is that the Space Gray MacBook Pro I've been dying for ? It looks cool as hell. I'm probably going to sell my 2015 13" MBP for the 2016 15" MacBook Pro in Space Gray.

Edit-Nevermind just looked this up and it's just the crappy 12 inch MacBook.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Is there a convenient way to reboot from OS X into Windows without having to hold the option key during the restart? Going through the start volume panel in the system preferences is a bit cumbersome. There has been a tool called BootChamp, but that stopped working with El Capitan, and the developer has officially terminated the project.

Any way to get data from a broken iPhone? Mine broke. Screen wont turn on and when I connect it to iTunes, it says its in recovery mode and it needs to be restored first.

Hell, can this even be repaired?

Any way to get data from a broken iPhone? Mine broke. Screen wont turn on and when I connect it to iTunes, it says its in recovery mode and it needs to be restored first.

Hell, can this even be repaired?

If it's in recovery mode you can try booting it normally by holding down the power and home for about 5 seconds. It's going to be hard to tell though because the screen is broken

HOWEVER, even if it turns on normally there's a chance iTunes will need permission from the phone to access the data and if the screen doesn't work at all then there's no way to grant permission. In that case, no, you can't get the data off

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is there a convenient way to reboot from OS X into Windows without having to hold the option key during the restart? Going through the start volume panel in the system preferences is a bit cumbersome. There has been a tool called BootChamp, but that stopped working with El Capitan, and the developer has officially terminated the project.
You could try rEFInd:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind

Basically allows you to select volume before the apple logo appears on boot up. You can even customise it with you own graphics.

If it's in recovery mode you can try booting it normally by holding down the power and home for about 5 seconds. It's going to be hard to tell though because the screen is broken

HOWEVER, even if it turns on normally there's a chance iTunes will need permission from the phone to access the data and if the screen doesn't work at all then there's no way to grant permission. In that case, no, you can't get the data off

Ah I see. Yeah I cant tell if the phone is on or off. I plan on taking it to a repair store tomorrow and see what I can do.

I tried some recovery software and one of them asked me to remove the passcode to continue. I tried using touch ID but I think the home button is messed up too.

I really hope I can at least salvage the photos from this :(

Ah I see. Yeah I cant tell if the phone is on or off. I plan on taking it to a repair store tomorrow and see what I can do.

I tried some recovery software and one of them asked me to remove the passcode to continue. I tried using touch ID but I think the home button is messed up too.

I really hope I can at least salvage the photos from this :(

If the phone was recently restarted TouchID won't work, it makes you enter the passcode the first time after a reboot

Deku Tree

How much would it cost to buy a thunderbolt enclosure and hook my 5K iMac up to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics card via thunderbolt2? Would it run well using W10 and bootcamp? I'm really only exploring what might be possible... not sure if I would pull the trigger.

Fuchsdh

How much would it cost to buy a thunderbolt enclosure and hook my 5K iMac up to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics card via thunderbolt2? Would it run well using W10 and bootcamp? I'm really only exploring what might be possible... not sure if I would pull the trigger.

PCIe chasses run around $250–300 for half-width ones that you can adjust to fit a full-size card, although you'll end up with some wonky aesthetics. Or you can get a half-length card to fit inside the case with less modification. Then you need external power to go to the GPU.

As far as what you have to do beyond that I have no idea. There was some ktext modifications and such you used to have to do but with 10.10 and later versions I'm not sure that's still necessary.

japtor

Wait till TB3 enclosures actually meant for GPUs come out and hope the TB1/2-3 dongles work. I think one issue with your particular setup might be (assuming you mean to use the iMac screen) feeding the image back over the connection just cause you're already dealing with reduced bandwidth to begin with. Sending 5K60 back over the same connection won't help.

Fuchsdh

Wait till TB3 enclosures actually meant for GPUs come out and hope the TB1/2-3 dongles work. I think one issue with your particular setup might be (assuming you mean to use the iMac screen) feeding the image back over the connection just cause you're already dealing with reduced bandwidth to begin with. Sending 5K60 back over the same connection won't help.

Ooh, actually that's a point I hadn't considered. There's currently no single cable able to drive a single 5K display aside from TB3.

japtor

Ooh, actually that's a point I hadn't considered. There's currently no single cable able to drive a single 5K display aside from TB3.
Hell I didn't even think of it that way. I figured there'd be some compression being done or something to save on bandwidth, and some searching around led to this post which says it (reverse bandwidth usage) shouldn't really matter at least. Even if 5K is out, maybe it'll work at 4K?

TUSR

Banned
It runs fine on my 2011 11" Air, so if it's a question about speed I think you're fine.

Raises hand. My 16gb ram 2.6GHz quad-core i7 is fast as it ever was.
Thanks for the quick replies. That's exactly what I was after.

Haven't been around the thread in a while, I'm going to do a fresh install of whatever the latest OSX is and boot camp W10.

(I'm still on 10.8.5)

Edit: Damn, El Capitan is 10.11.X

Deku Tree

Got everything up and running.

What a colossal improvement over 10.8, everything is faster and snappier.

Yeah IIRC most of those speed improvements came with 10.9 Mavericks actually lol... they started saving your background programs using memory compression that both made it much quicker to reload those programs but also frees up memory to use in your active programs. Then all the bugs in 10.9 were sorted out by the time 10.10 Yosemite beta was announced at the next WWDC. You see the biggest speed improvements when you have 8gb or 16gb ram.

I've got a 2015 rMPB and have a niggling issue with the screen that's been present since I got it new.

Shadows or blacks seem to come up all grainy or have a lot of noise. I've tried using the built in calibration tool and although it varies the severity, it never goes away. At the moment I'm on 2.6 gamma to minimise the issue.

Any ideas? Should I be worried? Thanks

I've got a 2015 rMPB and have a niggling issue with the screen that's been present since I got it new.

Shadows or blacks seem to come up all grainy or have a lot of noise. I've tried using the built in calibration tool and although it varies the severity, it never goes away. At the moment I'm on 2.6 gamma to minimise the issue.

Any ideas? Should I be worried? Thanks

That doesn't sound normal at all. I've been a Mac user for years, my current is an early '14 rMBP 13".

I'd get it to the Apple Store, it should have a year's warranty if you purchased new last year so worth a check over.

That doesn't sound normal at all. I've been a Mac user for years, my current is an early '14 rMBP 13".

I'd get it to the Apple Store, it should have a year's warranty if you purchased new last year so worth a check over.

Thanks I'll have a go. It's not 'really' bad but it bothers me. It's kind of like when you overprocess a photo and you get this weird texture.

Hey guys,

Why does Macintosh HD say its taking up more space than it really is?

Macintosh HD says its taking up 730GB but when I go to Macintosh HD > Users > Me, it says I have 609 GB available, with 319GB on disk.

Whats going on? I have one other user but theres no more than like 100mb of stuff on that other account. Why the difference in space?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey guys,

Macintosh HD says its taking up 730GB but when I go to Macintosh HD > Users > Me, it says I have 609 GB available, with 319GB on disk.

Whats going on? I have one other user but theres no more than like 100mb of stuff on that other account. Why the difference in space?
Download a disk visualizer and see for yourself.

Something like GrandPerspective, which is free, or one of the many tools available. Set it to scan from the top level of the disk.

Also check in your Cache folders under /Library/Cache, ~/Library/Cache and /System/Cache. All this stuff is safe to delete providing you reboot the computer first before emptying the trash. Just in case there's something gobbling up space like a browser. Also some other private folders (Namely /private/var/folders/) are caches but unless it's out of hand, you might as well leave those alone.

Deku Tree

Hey guys,

For one thing that folder doesn't include your applications.

mrkgoo

Hey guys,

Do you have both an iPhoto library and a migrated photos library? these will show upas individual libraries if viewed in get info on your user folder, but potentially only as one set when viewed with storage diagnostic tools.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I just bought a 2015 13 MacBook Pro with Retina last week. It's my first Mac ever and I was wondering if it's normal to hear some noise while it's in use? It's on the right hand side. If you place your ear near the keyboard. It's not the fan, but maybe a tiny audible electrical noise? I thought it could be the cpu.

Pinewood

Anyone know a good program/method to evaluate iPad storage use? The built in usage analyzer doesnt seem to show all the memory in use, I seem to be missing like 20GB of free space which is really annoying.

Top Bottom