• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I'm opposite. On a laptop, used to merely sleep and never reboot. On my desktop, I fear that power may go down in the middle of the night so I shutdown everyday.

Even if I did sleep I don't think I'd ever let a page stay open for 4 days.

So I'd never see such an issue.

Ok fair enough then on the laptop which you never reboot, you never let tabs sit around for a long time?

So basically, my habits, of leaving tabs sitting around while I decide what to do with them (press Buy Now, close, bookmark or continue), is just unusual, and Safari is not built for that which is why nobody is bitching at apple that most any random web page causes big memory leaks when left up?

Safari does the memory thing on some sites but not others. Leaving foo.wikia pages open after I finish binging the related game is the normal culprit.

How hard is it to make a DualShock 3 or Xbox 360 controller run on a Mac?

Former is just standard HID, isn't it? I haven't tried but I seem to recall that was why the PlayStation had so many more wheels. Could easily be wrong.

For the 360 controller you need either the Tattle Boogie driver or games that support it natively— but sometimes they are mutually exclusive— for fuck's sake.

mrkgoo

Ok fair enough then on the laptop which you never reboot, you never let tabs sit around for a long time?

So basically, my habits, of leaving tabs sitting around while I decide what to do with them (press Buy Now, close, bookmark or continue), is just unusual, and Safari is not built for that which is why nobody is bitching at apple that most any random web page causes big memory leaks when left up?

Possibly.

I don't have my laptop anymore, but no, I wouldn't usually leave any tabs open for days.

EmiPrime

Try using a content blocker like Wipr for a week see if it fixes it.

Also try using Chrome with the uBlock Origin extension.

I keep tabs open for days and don't have any problems.

I was debating on going the iPad / MacBook route to do web design and development. The MacBook to code and the iPad to research and edit photos. Is it a seamless transition, i.e. editing photos on the iPad and merging them to my MacBook. I know they're technically two different OS, but I hear good things about the integration in Apple's Eco.

EmiPrime

I was debating on going the iPad / MacBook route to do web design and development. The MacBook to code and the iPad to research and edit photos. Is it a seamless transition, i.e. editing photos on the iPad and merging them to my MacBook. I know they're technically two different OS, but I hear good things about the integration in Apple's Eco.

You won't entirely be in Apple's ecosystem if you want to make that work, you'll be in Adobe's also.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The power was knocked out a few times last night due to wind and now all the tabs I had opened in Safari are cleared out because the "Reopen tabs from last session" option is disabled since it happened more than once. Fucking hell.

And since it syncs the history of all my devices overall I can't just reopen them manually from the list since they're mixed in with all my other history.

So now I need to try and get a backed up version of the LastSession.plist file from last night and restore the tabs manually.

This is on my iMac. I have them all set up for my daily YouTube consumption as well as some videos I want to watch later. So dumb that it erased the history with a single blank tab because of a power outage. Why would it be blank? Why would it replace all my tabs with a single one in the first place?

It booted up improperly again. Stayed stuck on a gray screen.

Holding the power button, turning it off, waiting a few seconds, then pressing the power button again worked.

How do I get rid of this issue?

What is the Safari Technology Preview even for? Does it bring anything new for end users or is it just for devs?

I'd liken it to the beta channel of Chrome or other browsers. It's where debs can test their apps and tools against new versions of the browser before the features and updates appear in the regular version.

EmiPrime

And for regular users it's a Safari that gets updated every 2 weeks via the MAS without the hassle and absence of iCloud features in the Webkit nightlies. There's no reason not to use it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For some reason today I really feel like hooking up my old 2010 Mac mini which I replaced with my iMac a year and a half ago just for fun, but I took the RAM out of it and put it in the iMac to give it 16GB when I got it. So I'd have to take the RAM back out making both machines 8GB and I'm betting that'll cause some noticeable slowdown on the iMac given that it's a horribly slow HDD and paging would really make things fun.

I really should just buy more RAM and a SSD for the iMac anyway, (I really want to bump it to 32GB coupled with a SSD to make it blazing fast) then I could just keep the RAM in the mini. Even though I don't use it for anything.

I bought the iMac originally to replace the mini because it was really slow. Maybe I could find some use for it though. I still have my 2005 20" ACD that looks really nice when paired with the mini.

I don't even know why I want to do it. Guess I'm just bored. lol

Fuchsdh

For some reason today I really feel like hooking up my old 2010 Mac mini which I replaced with my iMac a year and a half ago just for fun, but I took the RAM out of it and put it in the iMac to give it 16GB when I got it. So I'd have to take the RAM back out making both machines 8GB and I'm betting that'll cause some noticeable slowdown on the iMac given that it's a horribly slow HDD and paging would really make things fun.

I really should just buy more RAM and a SSD for the iMac anyway, (I really want to bump it to 32GB coupled with a SSD to make it blazing fast) then I could just keep the RAM in the mini. Even though I don't use it for anything.

I bought the iMac originally to replace the mini because it was really slow. Maybe I could find some use for it though. I still have my 2005 20" ACD that looks really nice when paired with the mini.

I don't even know why I want to do it. Guess I'm just bored. lol

Once I'm done with my current job where my 2011 mini is my work machine, I'm probably going to look into turning it into a dedicated Minecraft server.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Once I'm done with my current job where my 2011 mini is my work machine, I'm probably going to look into turning it into a dedicated Minecraft server.
I was thinking that myself. Take the Minecraft load off the iMac and use the mini for some other stuff. I went ahead and hooked it up again. It's still on 10.10 Yosemite and is slowly downloading El Capitan right now. But for some reason it's taking forever. Started at 43 minutes, now is 1 hour. Once it's all up to date I'll have it all synced. I'm thinking of buying a DropBox plan and keeping all my files completely synced. But I only need 500GB. I know I've ranted about this before but DropBox's limited plans are stupid. All they have is 1TB for $10. Give me a 500GB option for $5 and I'll be happy. Hell, just set up a 100GB = $1 service and let people buy it ala carte. Maybe offer discounts for amounts over a certain amount. Anything but a lame single $10 plan. Come on, DropBox. You're the leader in cloud syncing and you're being beaten by Apple in the storage plan choices department. They have a damn $1 option. Not everyone needs 1000GB! My laptop is only 500GB. That's all the space I need.

jts

...hate me...
I was thinking that myself. Take the Minecraft load off the iMac and use the mini for some other stuff. I went ahead and hooked it up again. It's still on 10.10 Yosemite and is slowly downloading El Capitan right now. But for some reason it's taking forever. Started at 43 minutes, now is 1 hour. Once it's all up to date I'll have it all synced. I'm thinking of buying a DropBox plan and keeping all my files completely synced. But I only need 500GB. I know I've ranted about this before but DropBox's limited plans are stupid. All they have is 1TB for $10. Give me a 500GB option for $5 and I'll be happy. Hell, just set up a 100GB = $1 service and let people buy it ala carte. Maybe offer discounts for amounts over a certain amount. Anything but a lame single $10 plan. Come on, DropBox. You're the leader in cloud syncing and you're being beaten by Apple in the storage plan choices department. They have a damn $1 option. Not everyone needs 1000GB! My laptop is only 500GB. That's all the space I need.
Yep. It's especially absurd that base storage is 2GB. In 2016.

Even with all the referral crap I'm only at 26GB. Which is to say, good for nothing.

This refusal to adapt is why I dropped Dropbox altogether. Served me great 5 years ago.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yep. It's especially absurd that base storage is 2GB. In 2016.

Even with all the referral crap I'm only at 26GB. Which is to say, good for nothing.

This refusal to adapt is why I dropped Dropbox altogether. Served me great 5 years ago.
I'm up to about 5.5GB through various hoop jumping. By which I mean I used to use it for photo syncing before iCloud Photo Library. I would drop DropBox but it still works the best out of all the competitors for me. The most important features I need are 1) selective sync for having some folders not sync to certain machines, 2) being able to put Symlinks in DropBox to sync files you can't move out of their location and 3) reliable syncing that always syncs.

I'd switch to iCloud but it doesn't do any of this, and its syncing sometimes takes forever to kick in. I can't do symlinks at all. And damn you if you don't want all the files on all the machines. I used to use Google Drive but its lack of support also turned me away. DropBox is just too ubiquitous to not use. iCloud would be second most for me but as I said, it's just not there. So I stick with DropBox until the day I can switch. I even use iCloud for 1Password now that you can do it from the non-MAS version.

Fuchsdh

DropBox works for what I need—people sending me audio files, me uploading a finished render for someone to grab, stashing a file to grab and archive on my home computer. I've got 5.5GB via referrals and whatnot and it's large enough for my needs.

I'm pretty reticent about any sort of media storage in the cloud, as least in terms of trying to keep things synced across computers. I keep everything on my home computer, backed up on my RAID, and via Backblaze.

This wait for updated Macbooks is agonizing...My 2010 MBP is limping.

The wife is waiting to replace a 2008 MacBook, she's got you beat :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My 2007 MacBook was on life support for a year while I waited for the 2010 MacBook Pro update. My money was burning a hole in my bank account in anticipation. And I mean life support. Every component was falling apart piece by piece I was eventually using it with the top case removed (To allow air to flow) and an external Pro keyboard and mouse.

I have the latest MBA and decided that I would use it with an external monitor. Have a few issues that are driving me bonkers.

1. I bought a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter from Amazon, and it seems the MBA has trouble detecting it. I need to reboot the computer in order to recognize it, and even then sometime it fails.
2. The MBA has the screen shut and I have an Apple wired keyboard, and a Dell mouse. Everything seems to work fine, but sometimes the mouse pointer gets kind of "jumpy" for a lack of a better word. It's extremely irritating.

Anyone have advice in how to resolve these?

Dang, some of you guys are getting some good mileage out of your computers.

My 2013 MacBook Air tries to whisper to me every so often to take it behind the shed at put it out of its misery.

EmiPrime

Most Macs will go 5-10 years (or more) easily.

Unless you got a lemon like the iBook G4 or an underpowered early MBA with 2GB RAM and no SSD in which case my condolences.

In case you missed it, TextExpander is switching to a subscription pricing model. It's gonna cost $5 per month.

Subscription apps are the worst.

Fuchsdh

Most Macs will go 5-10 years (or more) easily.

Unless you got a lemon like the iBook G4 or an underpowered early MBA with 2GB RAM and no SSD in which case my condolences.

Subscription apps are the worst.

I don't see how this doesn't kill TextExpander. Aside from compatibility updates, what benefit are you going to see continually for using their utility? At least MS Office is adding more interoperability and cloud syncing, and Adobe is adding new features to its pro applications.

And yeah, most Macs can last a good long time if you treat them right. Coming up on 7 years on my Mac Pro with no issues.

I don't see how this doesn't kill TextExpander. Aside from compatibility updates, what benefit are you going to see continually for using their utility? At least MS Office is adding more interoperability and cloud syncing, and Adobe is adding new features to its pro applications.

And yeah, most Macs can last a good long time if you treat them right. Coming up on 7 years on my Mac Pro with no issues.

Mine has been roughed up. It's dented all over, missing screws from the bottom, the internal mic is broken, had to replace the SATA cable over the summer, there is dust behind the panel, it doesn't close all the way, rubber things on the bottom are gone.

That said, it's been on 8 transatlantic flights and a flight to and from Hawaii. It's a real trooper. I play on keeping it for my travel laptop.

EmiPrime

I hope they fall flat on their face so other developers don't get the same idea. If they want to make the team stuff a subscription thing then fine, that's literally a feature for professionals and they will require the most support resources. I bet most of their users however have less than a dozen basic text macros synced to their personal iCloud or Dropbox and have no interest in collaboration features and bespoke cloud storage.

It's unfortunate that the Mac Power Users hosts are defending this.

jts

...hate me...
I have the same (if 13").

You got an SSD and 8GB of RAM? That breathes life into it.

What I don't like the most about mine right now is actually screen resolution/quality and weight, more than performance. And battery life.

The thing is, I've been using it less and less. I think I'd rather prioritize an iPad Pro than splashing for a MBPr (it's the one I like, even though rationally I probably should be aiming at a MBA).

Bottom line is, I'll maybe replace its battery and be done with it for a good while longer.

edit: funny that you mention you had to replace the SATA cable, mine got broke as well! The thing is, because I had installed an HDD cradle in place of the optical drive, I never needed to replace the SATA cable.

Also have screws, rubber pads missing. But the lid closes fine and the mic is fine as well. And no dust behind the screen ;)

SuperPac

I hope they fall flat on their face so other developers don't get the same idea. If they want to make the team stuff a subscription thing then fine, that's literally a feature for professionals and they will require the most support resources. I bet most of their users however have less than a dozen basic text macros synced to their personal iCloud or Dropbox and have no interest in collaboration features and bespoke cloud storage.

It's unfortunate that the Mac Power Users hosts are defending this.

I feel the same way. Actually I started using TextExpander because of Mac Power Users and their praise of the software. I use it a couple times a week for something, and it's a great tool. But I have no interest in any team or collab stuff at all or using a separate syncing service (I thought when Dropbox and iCloud got good we were done with that kinda thing).

They really shoulda gone the 1Password route and offered extra stuff for business customers and teams while maintaining the status quo for individual users. I'll switch to something else or just drop snippets altogether than pay a subscription for this.

EmiPrime

They really shoulda gone the 1Password route and offered extra stuff for business customers and teams while maintaining the status quo for individual users. I'll switch to something else or just drop snippets altogether than pay a subscription for this.

Yep 1Password is the gold standard for this sort of thing.

TypeIt4Me looks like a good alternative. I can only imagine the excitement and cheers in their office when they found out TextExpander was going the software as a service route.

Fuchsdh

Thus far, I've only seen subscription pricing work when it's micro-transaction level cheap (Marco Arment's Overcast) or where there's really no other option (depending on your needs, you can swap out Creative Cloud with Pixelmator or some smaller apps, but for a full production company like my own for the moment there's no replacement for the suite in total.)

I guess this is where we find out how many die-hard TextExpander guys are out there.

It's definitely true that even if Apple did get off its ass and offer upgrade pricing and bundles, I don't see the iOS ecosystem ever really changing from what it currently is.

EmiPrime

Thus far, I've only seen subscription pricing work when it's micro-transaction level cheap (Marco Arment's Overcast) or where there's really no other option (depending on your needs, you can swap out Creative Cloud with Pixelmator or some smaller apps, but for a full production company like my own for the moment there's no replacement for the suite in total.)

I guess this is where we find out how many die-hard TextExpander guys are out there.

It's definitely true that even if Apple did get off its ass and offer upgrade pricing and bundles, I don't see the iOS ecosystem ever really changing from what it currently is.

Bundles are a thing (Readdle have a bunch). Upgrades feel like a lost cause sadly.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
does anyone know of any free data recovery software that can recover files from an accidentally reformatted hard drive?

davepoobond

How does one accidentally reformat a hard drive?

wasn't me, but someone double clicked their important external hard drive instead of a mac-formatted flash drive that was useless on a Windows PC.

Have used photorec/testdisk with good success.

thanks, i actually used this on my pc for random SD cards and stuff with issues, didn't realize that they made a Mac version too. Already started using it and it is restoring a lot of stuff -- unfortunately its all generic "file00000" etc names like that. but beggars cant be choosers.

Testdisk may be able to restore the previous partition map; I don't know how HFS+ works but that might have been enough if everything else was still intact. Have rescued Windows NTFS disks from Linux this way before. You should clone (dd) the disk to a Guinea pig disk before trying to restore the partition map.

I have never actually tried rescuing a Mac disk from your problem before- so good luck!

davepoobond

Testdisk may be able to restore the previous partition map; I don't know how HFS+ works but that might have been enough if everything else was still intact. Have rescued Windows NTFS disks from Linux this way before. You should clone (dd) the disk to a Guinea pig disk before trying to restore the partition map.

I have never actually tried rescuing a Mac disk from your problem before- so good luck!

once i finish using Photorec, i'll try testdisk and see what happens. i dont know how to use testdisk so i didnt want to just jump into that without at least getting what i could off it. thanks!

Ambitious

Alfred 3 Sneak Peek: Snippets Expansion

snippets-flip.gif

snippets-prefs.png

Nice.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
QuickTime has been stagnant forever. Even when they released X on OS X it was still pretty dead. Everyone uses VLC or something else since those play everything. No one wants a stand-alone media player that only plays specific media. That's why no one in their right mind has RealPlayer anymore. Well that and no one uses Real anymore anyway.

Fuchsdh

I still regularly use QT7 Pro on Mac, because it opens a lot of legacy stuff X doesn't support (CinePak, QVR, etc.) and because it's still the fastest option I have for a lot of tasks (like stripping out an audio track from a video.)

Not having a 64-bit ProRes on Windows hurts Final Cut a lot.

I use QTX far more than VLC. VLC not syncing with airplay audio is the biggest reason to not use it except as a multitool for stupid shit like .asx streams at work.

EmiPrime

QuickTime has been stagnant forever. Even when they released X on OS X it was still pretty dead. Everyone uses VLC or something else since those play everything. No one wants a stand-alone media player that only plays specific media. That's why no one in their right mind has RealPlayer anymore. Well that and no one uses Real anymore anyway.

It had a brief renaissance when Perian was in development, if only QuickTime's idiosyncrasies hadn't prevented MKV support (I think QT7 had to be used and even then it wasn't great) and I remember issues with subtitles too.

It's a real shame. I think there is (was?) a place for QuickTime, a competent video player on the OS level can't be a bad thing, but Apple neglected it.

Fuchsdh

Really esoteric container formats and such are a thing of the past. Aside from royalties, why wouldn't you have you media encoded as MPEG-4 at this point, which basically any player can read?

I've never seen MKVs and the like in anything besides torrents.

Fuchsdh

Lol. Pretty much. All the "legit" non-MPEG stuff I see is Ogg/VP8 :)

Even as a media-focused guy I probably open VLC maybe three or four times a year. I can't imagine most normal people really have any need for stuff beyond Quicktime/ Windows Media Player, partially because of the homogenization of codecs and partially because most stuff is streamed and handled by the browser anyhow.

Top Bottom