• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

The real question will be how much of a bump will it be. Will it remain the "new kid on the block" and still be underpowered, or will it be a worthy replacement for the Air? (In power only of course. People will still complain about the single USB-C port until they add more.)

Yeah I'd be surprised if it replaced the Air this year, if only for the entry level price rather than its performance.

My 2010 MacBook Pro charger broke. Fuck me. I'm ready for a new one and we finally have a Mac event date by I swear if they don't announce laptops on his event I'm gonna ... ;(

Any idea were to potentially get a cheap charger for mine? Amazon has lots of awful third party knock offs. Now it seems. Strange cause a little while back I don't recall Amazon having. THAT many bag knock offs

It broke or it won't charge?
If it won't charge heat it up like in your pocket for an hour then try.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I'd be surprised if it replaced the Air this year, if only for the entry level price rather than its performance.
It will eventually. But it all depends on how fast they can get it to the same level. It took the original Air 3 years to become worthy. But this was before Apple convinced Intel to focus on making their processors better for laptops. So who knows.

The real question will be how much of a bump will it be. Will it remain the "new kid on the block" and still be underpowered, or will it be a worthy replacement for the Air? (In power only of course. People will still complain about the single USB-C port until they add more.)

It gets a buy from me based on skylake alone (gonna spring for the m7) and hopefully that USBC turns into a Thunderbolt 3. No way it won't... Right?

Fuchsdh

It will eventually. But it all depends on how fast they can get it to the same level. It took the original Air 3 years to become worthy. But this was before Apple convinced Intel to focus on making their processors better for laptops. So who knows.

The first-gen rMB is certainly a better computer for its time than the first-gen Macbook Air was (a dual-core system where the system would throttle so bad with heat the second core was almost always never active.)

Fuchsdh

They will. I haven't even tried out the new keyboard yet. Or the new trackpads.

Got a few at work. You feel the lesser key travel, but the keys are much less mushy than the old models too. If you're used to the old models I imagine you'd spend some time applying way more force than is necessary and tiring yourself out before you adapt.

Haven't really played around with the rMB keyboards much at all aside from running a typing test when they came out and found I could still get to 80wpm standing up in the Apple Store, so that I wasn't all too concerned about it. Still got my Das at home when I want to keep everyone awake with my clacking.

Deku Tree

I love the new Apple keyboard. When I go to work and use the old Apple keyboard I feel like I have to smash each button really hard and I don't like it. Spoiled by the new keyboard. Makes me feel like I need to buy a second new keyboard for work because the one I have in my home office is too good.

So may not be the best place to ask this, but I'll try

Selling my rMBP13 mid-2014. It's the baseline proc but the 256gb drive. Used to retail for $1500, got it as a gift new in Dec 2014, dad paid $1250 for it. Bought the extended warranty before it expired so now it's covered until Dec 2017

I'm currently pricing it at $1100 since its last years model and I'm afraid if I go any higher people will just be like "Well why wouldn't I just buy a new one?" It's my first time selling a Mac so I don't know how depreciation affects this kind of stuff

Any advice? Is $1100 a good price for it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love the new Apple keyboard. When I go to work and use the old Apple keyboard I feel like I have to smash each button really hard and I don't like it. Spoiled by the new keyboard. Makes me feel like I need to buy a second new keyboard for work because the one I have in my home office is too good.
I still have the old keyboard. But I'm spoiled by it. I have it on my MacBook and two separate external keyboards. They've spoiled me for other keyboards.

Vashetti

Banned
So may not be the best place to ask this, but I'll try

Selling my rMBP13 mid-2014. It's the baseline proc but the 256gb drive. Used to retail for $1500, got it as a gift new in Dec 2014, dad paid $1250 for it. Bought the extended warranty before it expired so now it's covered until Dec 2017

I'm currently pricing it at $1100 since its last years model and I'm afraid if I go any higher people will just be like "Well why wouldn't I just buy a new one?" It's my first time selling a Mac so I don't know how depreciation affects this kind of stuff

Any advice? Is $1100 a good price for it?

Sounds good to me. As long as it's in good to great condition, Macs keep their value.

I dunno about that price. How does it compare to eBay prices?

Its two years old and macs don't hold their value nearly as well as they once did.

edit: yeh eBay sold listings for ones with higher specs than that are mostly at $900 or less.

I dunno about that price. How does it compare to eBay prices?

Its two years old and macs don't hold their value nearly as well as they once did.

edit: yeh eBay sold listings for ones with higher specs than that are mostly at $900 or less.

Well I think I got someone who's going to buy it for $1100 so fingers crossed

The iMac I sometimes use wouldn't boot today. It was cleaned (dusted/wiped), but was turned off before that. Then, when I went to turn it back on, it hung on a grey screen after the boot load bar finished.

I waited, then gave up and held the power button.

It turned on OK afterwards, but I'm worried.

The problem with the mouse and keyboard not syncing (Bluetooth sensor issue, never got it replaced because I was able to get it to go away for months at a time) is also back.

LeleSocho

Banned
Last week i had a kind of bad adventure with my MBP, while i was browsing it suddenly froze, it was a really bad freeze because even the seconds on the clock stopped going while usually they continue to go even if multiple apps and finder crash at the same time, it tried to reboot itself but never managed to do it as it didn't even managed to get to the white screen... only the stanby light on the front of the laptop was up.

In my heart i already knew that it was the faulty GPU of the 2011-2012 models but nonetheless i tried to change HDD, Ram and removed the battery to see if it changed something but no dice.

In the end it was the GPU and Apple repaired it for free even if it was out of warranty but i got scared a little because on the site it said the repair was canceled and i feared that i had to pay the 650€ for the mobo replacement(ΟΔΟ;;)

The iMac I sometimes use wouldn't boot today. It was cleaned (dusted/wiped), but was turned off before that. Then, when I went to turn it back on, it hung on a grey screen after the boot load bar finished.

Maybe running fsck? If it persists in hanging on boot, hold cmd-v on boot to use verbose mode, then you can research whatever UNIX barf is last on the screen when it hangs.

Regarding Bluetooth-- are other devices able to use BT in that location? I.e rule out external RF noise.

Thinking of buying a 2013 MacBook Pro off Amazon soon. Looking at the basic specs it seems like a rather decent computer with modern specs and the reviews from way back when say it's great. Does that still hold up? The Pros these days are wayyyy more expensive

Thinking of buying a 2013 MacBook Pro off Amazon soon.

The non-retina one? It's a fine computer if you put an SSD in it. I would seriously assess how far your money is going vs a 13" Air which is smaller and lighter and has faster storage (even with the SSD swap). CPU performance isn't as good, but that's not an issue for most.

Fuchsdh

The non-retina one? It's a fine computer if you put an SSD in it. I would seriously assess how far your money is going vs a 13" Air which is smaller and lighter and has faster storage (even with the SSD swap). CPU performance isn't as good, but that's not an issue for most.

Yeah I couldn't recommend it as a computer for most people because even though you can mod it far more, you're starting with a weaker computer. It has USB3 and TB1, so it's not totally left out in the cold in terms of modern I/O, but since Apple still sells the legacy model the prices have not really come down to something I'd consider acceptable for them. You can get something faster, thinner and lighter for the same money, and that's before you factor in upgrade costs.

ethomaz

Banned
It is a bit weird.

I'm looking for prices to see what will be the best option for (13 or 15).

When I look for 13" models with 512SSD+16RAM it gets close or the same price than a 15" with 512SSD+16RAM+RadeonGPU.

Makes no sense to buy a 13" here in Brasil right now because 15" come with quad-core and others stuffs not found in 13".

ethomaz

Banned
Right, it's a legitimate question since Apple has never stopped selling the non retina one. So it is very possible to buy 2013 non retina MBP.
You can buy a non retina middle of 2012 model in 2013, 2014 or today but it continues to be a middle of 2012 model.

The last non retina model was middle of 2012 (MD101 and MD102).

If the guy is buying a 2013 model it is for sure retina.

You can buy a non retina middle of 2012 model in 2013, 2014 or today but it continues to be a middle of 2012 model.

The last non retina model was middle of 2012 (MD101 and MD102).

If the guy is buying a 2013 model it is for sure retina.

Apple sells the 2012 model as a current year model (About This Mac) unfortunately. But yea I see what he's talking about.

kaskade

I really wonder what's going to happen to their laptop lineup because it seems kind of weird now. The Macbook and the Macbook Pro are the same price. So I guess you are sacrificing the power for portability. If the Macbook started at 999 it'd be more enticing. I wonder if they are just going to get rid of the Air?

Fuchsdh

I really wonder what's going to happen to their laptop lineup because it seems kind of weird now. The Macbook and the Macbook Pro are the same price. So I guess you are sacrificing the power for portability. If the Macbook started at 999 it'd be more enticing. I wonder if they are just going to get rid of the Air?

At this point, I really don't know. It' possible they leave a base-model Air as a budget option while the Macbook occupies most of its niche, with the rMBP staying where they are. It's possible they cut the Air entirely, or even that they give it another update—as long as you're fine with its mediocre screen, it's an incredibly capable machine.

I mainly don't see the Macbook replacing the Air at this point entirely. It took almost three years to drop the Macbook from a $1799 novelty to the entry-level 11 inch model at $999. But the Macbook will certainly become capable of replacing the Air much quicker, and it's certainly a lower starting price.

Is anyone still on Mavericks (or earlier?)

Would it be possible to upload a screenshot of an EMPTY DOCK, preferably against a highly contrasting desktop background (such as black)? This would require a bit of messing around with files, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't have any computers that are capable of running Mavericks at this point, and I want a background for cDock. The one they have isn't very accurate, and (surprisingly) I can't find anything on Google images.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Air will be going away when the MacBook is old enough to take care of itself. It's happened before.

2007 the MacBook Air is first introduced, it's underpowered and slow and HDD based and has a really terrible non-optimized processor, basically a mobile laptop processor of the times. At this time the MacBook still exists, it's white colored, and plastic and it's there. The Air is just a new middle-road machine to test the waters.

2010 the Air is redesigned. It's faster. Uses Intel's new mobile processors inspired by Apple. Is all Flash now. Lighter. Better. Shortly after the MacBook is discontinued completely. After a final "MacBook Pro-style redesign" it is put to bed. The Air takes its place.

It's happening again. The Retina MacBook will eventually be powerful enough that it can honestly be put next to an Air and compete. When that time comes, the Air's reign will end and the MacBook will have a new chance in the sun. But that time is not now. Possibly not this year either. Depends on both Apple and Intel's willingness to make it happen.

Problem is the current limitations of the Retina MacBook are that in an effort to give it as much battery life as possible, it has a teeny tiny logic board smaller than any Mac logic board ever. 90% of the base is battery. So the MacBook is stuck with a low-power 1.1GHz Core M processor. The Air's logic board is much bigger. And thusly, more powerful. Bigger processor. An actual dual-core i5. If it weren't for all the battery taking up space, it'd be there now. But Apple really wants to keep it super light and super high battery life. These are the limitations Apple's going to stick to.

Whereas the original Air's problems were fixed simply by Flash storage prices dropping and Intel optimizing their processors specifically for the mobile market.

Basically the Air will probably stick around for a little while longer (If this years MacBook update hasn't made a huge leap forward) but will most likely remain largely unchanged except for possibly a few unannounced processor changes to keep it "fresh".

Thing is, the Retina MacBook isn't really better at anything except being lighter. The battery life is still the same as the 11" Air (The 13" has more still, probably due to its non-Retina display), the RAM may be more out of the box while you need to specify it for the Air, but the Flash storage is basically the same. The camera is worse. Less ports. Worse processor by far. Worse GPU. It's only benefit is the Retina display and its up to 1 pound less weight. (which is pretty trivial really) Oh, and it has a Force Touch trackpad and new keyboard I guess. It's obvious it's basically being "trained" to take over the position of consumer laptop once its strong enough. The Air's days are numbered. But that number is probably still pretty high relatively.

I mainly don't see the Macbook replacing the Air at this point entirely. It took almost three years to drop the Macbook from a $1799 novelty to the entry-level 11 inch model at $999. But the Macbook will certainly become capable of replacing the Air much quicker, and it's certainly a lower starting price.

the problem is, even if the Macbook had the exact same internal specs as the Air, it would STILL be a lot slower because of that stupid Retina screen. All of those pixels require a heck of a lot more processing power.

I don't think >1080p screens make any sense in the Macbook's form factor. I agree that the Macbook Air's screen leaves a lot to be desired, but better color accuracy and viewing angles would go a long way toward fixing that WITHOUT taxing the CPU any more than necessary.

The Macbook Air is still my go-to recommendation whenever someone asks what laptop they should get—and almost my entire family now has Macbook Airs as a result. They're really well-balanced machines in terms of size vs battery vs speed, and will continue to be my go-to model for the forseeable future.

ethomaz

Banned
The MacBook low processor is due the fanless form and not battery.

This new fanless way will be part of MacBook and Intel will help to increase the power over the years.

It is really great to have a machine without fan.

Fuchsdh

the problem is, even if the Macbook had the exact same internal specs as the Air, it would STILL be a lot slower because of that stupid Retina screen. All of those pixels require a heck of a lot more processing power.

I don't think >1080p screens make any sense in the Macbook's form factor. I agree that the Macbook Air's screen leaves a lot to be desired, but better color accuracy and viewing angles would go a long way toward fixing that WITHOUT taxing the CPU any more than necessary.

The Macbook Air is still my go-to recommendation whenever someone asks what laptop they should get—and almost my entire family now has Macbook Airs as a result. They're really well-balanced machines in terms of size vs battery vs speed, and will continue to be my go-to model for the forseeable future.

I'm not really concerned about the pixel-pushing. The rMB is on a gamut, and IMO comes out on the favorable side compared to other first-gen retina products like the iPhone 4, rMBP and 3rd gen iPad. A second-gen model would be running a Core M with Intel Graphics 515, which looking at the benchmarks is a solid improvement over the 5300. This will still not play games well at anything higher than XGA/FWXGA resolutions, but it won't have issues with normal web surfing and basic graphic use.

SteveWD40

The MacBook low processor is due the fanless form and not battery.

This new fanless way will be part of MacBook and Intel will help to increase the power over the years.

It is really great to have a machine without fan.

I agree, my one annoyance with the 11 inch Air is that the fan kicks in for even low end games (Darkest Dungeon for example).

As far as price goes, they will need to have an entry level machine, it used to be just the Macbook, then it became the Air, if the Air goes away the price on the Macbook needs to drop quickly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, a 12" and 14" Retina MacBook would be a perfect compliment to the 13" and 15" Retina Pros once the Air is retired. The 12" rMB is already lighter than the 11" Air. The 14" might even be lighter than the 13" Air.

So nobody else either uses Safari, or has memory leak problems with it ?

it happens here on a new MBP.
And on two iMacs.

Everything starts ok, but inevitably, each Safari process (that handles multiple tabs) grows and grows. Within 12 hours of actual non-sleeping time, they are starting to fight with each other for space:

Owt7PTn.png

* My Safari is updated, as is OSX.

* I don't have any plug-ins, they are all disabled.

* I've run etrecheck and everything is clean.

This problem has been around for a long time now but has got worse I think this year.

Basically if you let Safari sit on a page, it just eats memory. Slowly and surely, until your whole browser is impossible to use without thrashing. On a laptop it is harder to spot because they tend to get rebooted due to battery going flat or shut down often enough. But on a desktop that just sleeps and is never powered down, within 4 days, it is super obvious.

Everyone else doesn't see this? really? you look at a two week old Safari using Activity Monitor and sort by Memory and each process is a few hundred MBs at most ?

mrkgoo

So nobody else either uses Safari, or has memory leak problems with it ?

it happens here on a new MBP.
And on two iMacs.

Everything starts ok, but inevitably, each Safari process (that handles multiple tabs) grows and grows. Within 12 hours of actual non-sleeping time, they are starting to fight with each other for space:

Owt7PTn.png

* My Safari is updated, as is OSX.

* I don't have any plug-ins, they are all disabled.

* I've run etrecheck and everything is clean.

This problem has been around for a long time now but has got worse I think this year.

Basically if you let Safari sit on a page, it just eats memory. Slowly and surely, until your whole browser is impossible to use without thrashing. On a laptop it is harder to spot because they tend to get rebooted due to battery going flat or shut down often enough. But on a desktop that just sleeps and is never powered down, within 4 days, it is super obvious.

Everyone else doesn't see this? really? you look at a two week old Safari using Activity Monitor and sort by Memory and each process is a few hundred MBs at most ?

I'm opposite. On a laptop, used to merely sleep and never reboot. On my desktop, I fear that power may go down in the middle of the night so I shutdown everyday.

Even if I did sleep I don't think I'd ever let a page stay open for 4 days.

So I'd never see such an issue.

Top Bottom