• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Pachimari

I tried turning off the router and starting it again, doesn't work.
There have not been any problems until now, my Macs just worked with my network, not anymore.

Il try take a look at the router.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I tried turning off the router and starting it again, doesn't work.
There have not been any problems until now, my Macs just worked with my network, not anymore.

Il try take a look at the router.

If the router is Belkin, throw it away. I'm not kidding. I've had nothing but problems with Belkin routers. If it's not a Belkin, what kind is it?

Pachimari

It's a D-Link router, only two years old and a top model (DIR-855). There have never been problems with it before, until yesterday.

Besides, how do I enable it's Wireless Radio 5GHz? I only have the 2.4GHz enabled.
And how do I restart a router? Just by unplugging it and plugging it in again?

The same advice applies to D-Link.

Kill it with fire.

And yes, you restart it by unplugging, counting 1-Mississippi until 5 and then you plug it back in.

Pachimari

But I don't have money to buy a new router. :(

I did try restarting it two times yesterday then, as I turned off all electronics and turned it back on, but it didn't help. The Macs can't find the network.

Though, I wonder, why have it worked flawlessly for so many months, and only now they won't find the network?

EDIT:
This worked, thanks guys, you are truly magicians!
Though, how do I enable the 5GHz radio? I'll get faster transfers wirelessly with that one right? And how can I make a guest connection?

Is it here?
D-Link Support

Sye d'Burns

But I don't have money to buy a new router. :(

I did try restarting it two times yesterday then, as I turned off all electronics and turned it back on, but it didn't help. The Macs can't find the network.

Though, I wonder, why have it worked flawlessly for so many months, and only now they won't find the network?

EDIT:
This worked, thanks guys, you are truly magicians!

Why, for example, do you turn on your computer one day to find your GPU has gone out? Parts fail. Not to say your router is on death's door, it may have been a fluke, but I'd start saving for an eventual router replacement.

Though, how do I enable the 5GHz radio? I'll get faster transfers wirelessly with that one right? And how can I make a guest connection?

Is it here?
D-Link Support

It looks like you need to go though SETTINGS->WIRELESS NETWORK SETUP WIZARD. I can't walk you any further through than that on the emulator. You'll need your software.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So, in my side gig. These is what we use for work.

Not pictured are 4 iPads.

workmacs.jpg

Barrett2

Not sure if related, but I just got an error saying an email could not be sent (using Sparrow) because resources were being used elsewhere. When I looked at the activity monitor this was the reading. Is this normal? Would those be related, or might that just be a separate Sparrow issue? I've gotten that message three times the last few days.

Sye d'Burns

Not sure if related, but I just got an error saying an email could not be sent (using Sparrow) because resources were being used elsewhere. When I looked at the activity monitor this was the reading. Is this normal? Would those be related, or might that just be a separate Sparrow issue? I've gotten that message three times the last few days.

It looks normal enough to me. Did you try killing Sparrow and restart the app or did you just send again later?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Is it me? Or is OS X Lion perfect for MBA 11?

I went to best buy and tried both, and while MBA 11 specs are not as good as MBA 13, the portability gives it a HUGE advantage IMO. They feel like 2 completely different machines to me. Getting back to OS X Lion, I think it's perfect for this particular model of the MBA, the screen management capabilities make sense for laptop with a smaller screen like the MBA 11.

I came away REALLY impressed with the 11 inches model, more so than the 13 inches one. Something I thought was a no-brainer before (getting the 13 inches model over the 11 one), I'm not so sure anymore.

Only thing holding it back is the mediocre battery life.

Atenhaus

I went to best buy and tried both, and while MBA 11 specs are not as good as MBA 13, the portability gives it a HUGE advantage IMO. They feel like 2 completely different machines to me. Getting back to OS X Lion, I think it's perfect for this particular model of the MBA, the screen management capabilities make sense for laptop with a smaller screen like the MBA 11.

I came away REALLY impressed with the 11 inches model, more so than the 13 inches one. Something I thought was a no-brainer before (getting the 13 inches model over the 11 one), I'm not so sure anymore.

The portability of this thing is what pushed me towards it.

Quick

Banned
So, I plugged in my Macbook Pro to charge, and I noticed that instead of the light going orange or green, the light was a dim orange and it was blinking. I disconnected/reconnected and it was green and my Macbook Pro is showing the battery as fully charged.

I did a quick search on Google, but nothing specific was coming up (plenty of blinking lights, but nothing like mine). Has this happened to anyone else?

Looks/sounds more like Sparrow is referring to access to the email server as 'resources'. It might even be passing back the error message from the server.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just bought myself an 11 inch MBA. Really, really loving it so far!

MBA 11" is the best notebook Apple has ever put out. I wish its footprint were smaller, though. Slim the bezel, slim the space around the keyboard. Otherwise, it is fantastic.

I'd argue it's equally perfect for the 13" though. 1400x900 is still not enough res. Switching desktops for apps groups is so bloody natural I just can't imagine going back to a windows laptop. Hell, I even like the touchpad gestures and I never thought I'd use that stuff.

aparisi2274

Does anyone have that site handy that gives the refresh cycles on hardware?

I have a 2009 iMac, and I was thinking of upgrading soon, but wanted to make sure that no new refreshes are in the pipeline....

Pachimari

If I buy an external network-enabled DLNA-compatible WD My Book Live Like hard drive, will I be able to store my documents on my MacBook Air wirelessly on the hard drive?

LCfiner

Does anyone have that site handy that gives the refresh cycles on hardware?

I have a 2009 iMac, and I was thinking of upgrading soon, but wanted to make sure that no new refreshes are in the pipeline....

In addition to Fuu’s link, I wouldn’t be surprised if the iMac gets a refresh only after Ivy Bridge comes out (I think that’s around April?)

So, I'm going tomorrow to buy a new Mac laptop after years of only using PC's (and a CR-48). Assuming money is no object, is there any reason to get a Macbook Air over a Pro? I think I like the Air better, because of the form factor, the battery life, and the SSD drive. I will be using it to take notes in law school. This shitty netbook of mine is driving me nuts, so it's time to upgrade. Any thoughts? Remember, assume that money is not an issue.

LCfiner

So, I'm going tomorrow to buy a new Mac laptop after years of only using PC's (and a CR-48). Assuming money is no object, is there any reason to get a Macbook Air over a Pro? I think I like the Air better, because of the form factor, the battery life, and the SSD drive. I will be using it to take notes in law school. This shitty netbook of mine is driving me nuts, so it's time to upgrade. Any thoughts? Remember, assume that money is not an issue.

get the maxed out 13” air and don’t look back.

maybe an external superdrive if you ever think you’ll need to use a disc

I'm really ancient so I still use discs once in a while (CDs I purchase to rip/burn), so I went with a 13" MBP.

But if you don't plan on using discs go with above posters recommendation of maxed out 13" MBA

bananas

Banned
I pretty much going to get a 27 inch iMac when I get my tax return.

Should I go with the lower end 2.7GHz i5 and AMD Radeon HD 6770M, or spring for the 3.1GHz i5 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M?

Is the GPU that drastic of a difference? Right now I'm using a late 2008 aluminum unibody MacBook, with a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo and Nvidia 9400m, so pretty much either one of these are going to be a substantial step up, but was just wondering what MacGaf's opinions on the matter are.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I'd grab the 11" Air because you're taking notes in law school. I took notes in law school with my Vaio TZ back in the day. I wish I had my 11" MBA. It boots up much faster and feels a lot nicer. I abhorred my TZ eventually because it took forever to start up and I had to deal with a sheet of fabric in between the keyboard and screen.

Max the 11" MBA out.

I always felt 11" was too small and 13" was the perfect size for laptop screen, especially if you take with you everywhere like I tend to do

LCfiner

I pretty much going to get a 27 inch iMac when I get my tax return.

Should I go with the lower end 2.7GHz i5 and AMD Radeon HD 6770M, or spring for the 3.1GHz i5 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M?

Is the GPU that drastic of a difference? Right now I'm using a late 2008 aluminum unibody MacBook, with a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo and Nvidia 9400m, so pretty much either one of these are going to be a substantial step up, but was just wondering what MacGaf's opinions on the matter are.

First, if the tax return is coming this spring, you may want to wait for the iMac refresh that is likely going to happen around that time. but if you need something asap, then my advice is to get the 6970M iMac.

The 6970M GPU is a big upgrade for any gaming you may want to do. the 6970M is, IIRC, close to a 6850 desktop card, so you’d have a relatively capable gaming machine (in OS X or bootcamp) as long as you don’t try to play at native resolution.

check out some benchmarks of the two chips for comparison.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6970M.43077.0.html

And you can buy apple refurbished to save a few hundred. I’ve gotten a few apple computers including a 27” iMac from the refurb store over the past several years and they’ve all been top notch.

Jasoco

Banned
I always felt 11" was too small and 13" was the perfect size for laptop screen, especially if you take with you everywhere like I tend to do
I wouldn't mind the 11" size, but I would mind the low resolution. Now, a 11" with a screen resolution near the 13" resolution and a higher res on the 13" would be great, but then I'd still go to the 13" because of the higher resolution. So I guess with me it's all about resolution.

I just wish they'd reduce the bezel size either by A) making the screen 14" but keeping the computer the same size or B) keeping it 13", but shrinking the computer down by about 1/2" on each side. I'm sure Apple could do it if they wanted to.

I'd grab the 11" Air because you're taking notes in law school. I took notes in law school with my Vaio TZ back in the day. I wish I had my 11" MBA. It boots up much faster and feels a lot nicer. I abhorred my TZ eventually because it took forever to start up and I had to deal with a sheet of fabric in between the keyboard and screen.

Max the 11" MBA out.

Why 11" over 13", though? I dug the size of my Chromebook screen, which was 12.1". I will go to the store tomorrow and check them out.

Thanks for the advice!

dc89

If I was to buy a MacBook Air I'd go for the 11" model. I had a 13" Aluminium MacBook (Purchased in 2008, right before they rebranded them as Pro) and I loved it buy I sold it when I got my iPad.

My iPad and iMac compliment each other wonderfully.

Quick

Banned
So, I plugged in my Macbook Pro to charge, and I noticed that instead of the light going orange or green, the light was a dim orange and it was blinking. I disconnected/reconnected and it was green and my Macbook Pro is showing the battery as fully charged.

I did a quick search on Google, but nothing specific was coming up (plenty of blinking lights, but nothing like mine). Has this happened to anyone else?

So this hasn't happened since I posted that, but I've encountered another issue: the battery status icon remained at "charged" for a few minutes even though it wasn't plugged in, then when I plugged it in, it briefly said "not charging" then it gave me the amount of time left until it was finished charging. Unplugged/re-plugged it to see if it was a one-time thing, but it kept happening.

I booked an appointment at the Eaton Centre location later. Hope it isn't anything serious.

Bboy AJ

Why 11" over 13", though? I dug the size of my Chromebook screen, which was 12.1". I will go to the store tomorrow and check them out.

Thanks for the advice!

Size, footprint. It's much nicer to carry around.

I wish the resolution was higher for sure, but it's not awful. Maybe the new one will improve it.

Max out a 13" Air and call it a day.

kaskade

Has anyone done the optical drive swap out for a SSD? I was thinking about doing it with my mid 2009 MBP. I thought about just buying a new air or something but it's not really in my budget and I don't exactly need a new computer right now.

I was just wondering if it's possible to boot from the secondary drive. Basically what I would do is install Lion on that drive and use it for OS and apps and use my current 500gb drive for movies, photos and all the media stuff. I just don't know what the easiest way to go about moving everything around would be.

Does anyone have opinions on buying 'straight from apple' refurbs?

I'm normally pretty against the refurb thing, but my old home macbook just kicked the bucket (right after i dropped my 'new comp' savings on a visit to the Philippines) so saving $250 CAD is making me think otherwise.

Sanjuro

Has anyone done the optical drive swap out for a SSD? I was thinking about doing it with my mid 2009 MBP. I thought about just buying a new air or something but it's not really in my budget and I don't exactly need a new computer right now.

I was just wondering if it's possible to boot from the secondary drive. Basically what I would do is install Lion on that drive and use it for OS and apps and use my current 500gb drive for movies, photos and all the media stuff. I just don't know what the easiest way to go about moving everything around would be.

I did that for a customer not too long ago. You can choose what drive to boot from, no problem.

BUT, you are losing the optical drive. If you want to watch your copy of Transformers 2 that you got at Wal-Mart for $2.99, YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK!

I'm about to do this tomorrow actually, boot from a 256 SSD and replace my optical drive with my current hard drive. I've even seen kits that allow you to turn your old optical drive into a usb external drive.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Does anyone have opinions on buying 'straight from apple' refurbs?

I'm normally pretty against the refurb thing, but my old home macbook just kicked the bucket (right after i dropped my 'new comp' savings on a visit to the Philippines) so saving $250 CAD is making me think otherwise.

Apple refurbs are basically exactly what you buy brand new. It's just something that was returned and they can't sell it as new. They replace the casing, replace anything that's broken with brand new components, and have a strict testing procedure on the life of every other component inside the machine.

Yeah, as long as you're getting the specs you want in the refurb, it's crazy not to go that route. Aside from the different cardboard box, it is impossible to tell it's not brand new. I'm STILL running an ORIGINAL MacBook from 2006 daily. This thing will be 6 years old in May and it's still flawless. It was a refurb. My last iPod was also a refurb.

Jasoco

Banned
Now that it's CSS, I can't wait for all the Thunderbolt external portable SSD's to start coming out.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/09/elgato-lacie-and-ocz-announce-thunderbolt-storage-options-at-c/

I hope they have a 128GB model for a reasonable price. ($200 to $300 at most) If I can't get Apple to replace my internal SSD in my Air with a 256, this would be a perfect alternative for speed. USB2 is so slow and much slower than the maximum transfer rate of even a HDD let alone a SSD. So having an external SSD that transfers near the speed of the drive itself will be nice. It'll be very useful for storing the big bulky stuff I have that I still need to have fast access to like my Virtual Machines and my Steam game library. (Which is 35GB with Portal 2)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Thr 13" has significantly better batteru life, a much better screen and the weight isnt going to break your back. The weight and size really isnt an issue. Id suggest reading this before deciding:
http://www.marco.org/2011/05/08/laptop-size

I don't know about significantly better battery life between both models. AnandTech ran test and for light usage (ie. light web browsing, no flash+itunes or reading or editing documents) the difference was 30 minutes between both. That's not significantly better to me.

Barrett2

Just picked up a Magic Mouse. This thing is.... weird. While I love using the gesture stuff by swiping on top of the mouse, the ergonomics of just holding the damn thing and moving it around are baffling.

Quick

Banned
Just picked up a Magic Mouse. This thing is.... weird. While I love using the gesture stuff by swiping on top of the mouse, the ergonomics of just holding the damn thing and moving it around are baffling.

magic-mouse-ergo-sz-031110.jpg

It's the space between the mouse and your fingers/part of your palm that makes it awkward. I've seen pictures online of people putting a small item on top of the mouse to fill the space. There's something you can buy specifically for it, but it seems like a waste.

noah111

Still Alive
^Exactly my situation, rarely ever use it. The trackpad is just so good, especially with BTT. I've thought of getting the external trackpad though, but I didn't think it was worth it for a MBP person.

Top Bottom