• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I have the chance to get a Thunderbolt Display very cheap, but I talked myself out of it. I would only be able to use it with my mini.

I'm curious if there would be a performance hit for running that machine at such a high resolution?

Doubt it. That's all handled by the GPU.

It's going to really come down to what else you're doing with the machine. If you're doing any type of digital media work, you're going to see some sluggishness because the GPU's VRAM is filled with all that beautiful screen. If you're just using it as a casual kind of system, you'll be good.

It's going to really come down to what else you're doing with the machine. If you're doing any type of digital media work, you're going to see some sluggishness because the GPU's VRAM is filled with all that beautiful screen.

(2560 * 1440)px * 4B/px = 14MB

I know that's naïve, but it really doesn't take a lot of VRAM to drive a display.

ruxtpin

Banned
The frugal me says go with what's good enough... the future looking me says get the best you can get. Depending on how long you have the machine, you could en up taking major advantage of the 1GB VRAM, though you probably won't see a lot of usage during regular use. If you were more heavily into digital media creation, it would be a no brainer, but it seems like you won't be putting it through its paces too much in the near future. Still, if you can float it and you don't mind, I say go for the 1GB VRAM machine.

After reading a few pages prior and visiting MacRumors buying guide I think I'm going to wait a bit. I ordered a couple extra gigs of RAM for my MacBook and upgraded to Lion. That'll suffice for another 3-4 months I think. By then I'll have nothing on my credit card and hopefully a new MBP will be out, and I can order whichever one I like.

Finally finished installing my SSD and replacing my disc drive with my old HD. Man is this thing fast, write speeds are about 3 times as fast and read speeds are almost 6 times as fast. This is probably the single most useful upgrade I've ever done to a computer.

RBH

printer-thing.png

Apple, effective today, ended its buy a Mac, get a $100 off of a printer promotion. The promotion typically runs yearly, so we are not sure why Apple stopped it. Apple sells a few $100 printers, so they typically advertise the promotion as “Buy a Mac, get a free printer.”

Although Apple is putting a stop to the program, they will continue to sell printers in their physical retail stores and online stores, according to the internal memo posted above. Customers who bought a printer within 90 days of Jan. 16 can still claim their $100 rebate from Apple.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/17/apple-ends-its-buy-a-mac-get-100-off-a-printer-promotion/

JackEtc

I'll be looking forward to get my first Mac before next school year begins. My last birthday/Christmas 2011/graduation/next birthday present is going to be a maxed out 15" MBP for school (I head off to college this fall).

I'm looking at the MacRumors guide though, and it's kinda got me worried. I don't need the laptop any time soon, the very latest I can probably wait to buy it is late July. I really wanna wait for the next MBP iteration, especially with that retina screen rumor, but I'm just scared that they'll reveal it in like August, where it'll be too late and I'll have major buyer's remorse having just bought the last model weeks before the new one would be put out.

When do you guys think Apple will whip out the new MBP, am I worrying about a situation that is really unlikely to occur?

picked up a 13 inch MacBook Air over the weekend. Was planning on an iPad, but i figured I might get more use out of this as an eventual replacement for my 07 iMac desktop. First experience with Lion and i'm liking it, plus the trackpad is boss as fuck. Anyone know what the best cases/sleeves are?

Alfarif

picked up a 13 inch MacBook Air over the weekend. Was planning on an iPad, but i figured I might get more use out of this as an eventual replacement for my 07 iMac desktop. First experience with Lion and i'm liking it, plus the trackpad is boss as fuck. Anyone know what the best cases/sleeves are?

Wait, wait... you went in for an iPad and walked out with an Air? God DAMN! Now that's what I call some spur of the moment window shopping.

I bought my first Mac back in October, which was a base model Mac mini hooked up to my HDTV. I soon upgraded it to 8 GB of RAM and then upgraded again to a Samsung 470 128 GB SSD after that. I might even consider going to 16 GB of RAM when prices decrease (although I am kind of particular and only wish to use Samsung brand).

I am looking forward to what Ivy Bridge and Haswell have in store for this computer.

Pulled the trigger on a 2.5GHz i5 Mini over the weekend. Installed 8GB RAM and an SSD in it and it absolutely flies. After squeezing five years out of my old Macbook Pro, I'm so happy to be using something that doesn't make me wait at all when I'm editing photos.

mj1108

Congrats on the Air! I LOVE mine!

I picked up this case at the Apple Store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5012ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng

Fits the 13" Air like a glove. Yeah it was $60 but it's well worth it.

bionic77

Not sure of the brand, but my cousin had a sleeve for his 11" Air and it looked really slick when he took it out of it and it was really portable in case he wanted to throw it into a larger bag. The one he had didn't have a zipper, you just slid it in there and it was snug enough to hold it safely.

How do you like the 13"? I have pretty much decided on getting the same laptop, I am just waiting for the check on a case to clear and then to decide on whether on not to get it right now or wait and see if there are refreshments in the spring.

Pulled the trigger on a 2.5GHz i5 Mini over the weekend. Installed 8GB RAM and an SSD in it and it absolutely flies. After squeezing five years out of my old Macbook Pro, I'm so happy to be using something that doesn't make me wait at all when I'm editing photos.

Just did the same thing. Awesome little computer. It replaces my Q6600 Hackintosh (badass and still a good comp, just big and loud).

Had a funky issue with mine already, though--it would stutter/freeze on basic 720p YouTube videos. Reset the SMC and that seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently, a bunch of other people have had similar issues with the 2011 mini.

Not sure of the brand, but my cousin had a sleeve for his 11" Air and it looked really slick when he took it out of it and it was really portable in case he wanted to throw it into a larger bag. The one he had didn't have a zipper, you just slid it in there and it was snug enough to hold it safely.

How do you like the 13"? I have pretty much decided on getting the same laptop, I am just waiting for the check on a case to clear and then to decide on whether on not to get it right now or wait and see if there are refreshments in the spring.

Really loving it. I contemplated going 11", but 13 seemed like the perfect size, and was only $100 more to the compatible 11" version. Highly recommended.

bionic77

Really loving it. I contemplated going 11", but 13 seemed like the perfect size, and was only $100 more to the compatible 11" version. Highly recommended.
The 11" size seems perfect but the dealbreaker for me was the keyboard, felt a bit too cramped and I type a fuckload.

Now the decision as to whether to get it now or wait like a chump...

Jasoco

Banned
The 11" size seems perfect but the dealbreaker for me was the keyboard, felt a bit too cramped and I type a fuckload.

Now the decision as to whether to get it now or wait like a chump...
The keyboard is fullsize. It's the same exact size as all of Apple's keyboards.

bionic77

The keyboard is fullsize. It's the same exact size as all of Apple's keyboards.
For me at least for me it felt cramped when I was playing around with it at the Apple store. The 13" keyboard felt much better and the keys felt like they were spaced a little further apart.

Not sure if I am crazy or if there really is a difference, but it was noticeable to me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For me at least for me it felt cramped when I was playing around with it at the Apple store. The 13" keyboard felt much better and the keys felt like they were spaced a little further apart.

Not sure if I am crazy or if there really is a difference, but it was noticeable to me.

You're crazy. Literally no difference.

Jasoco

Banned
Weird because according to Apple, "It's a full sized keyboard. Not a smaller netbook style keyboard." in that the keys should be exactly the same size.

It's probably an optical illusion making your brain think it's cramped because of how small the machine is.

But hey, the 13" is still awesome and well worth it for the only .5lb extra weight, the SD card slot and the extra resolution.

Tobor

It's the same size. That's why it's the only Apple computer with a 16:9 screen instead of 16:10. That allows it to be wide enough to fit the whole keyboard.

bionic77

Weird because according to Apple, "It's a full sized keyboard. Not a smaller netbook style keyboard." in that the keys should be exactly the same size.

It's probably an optical illusion making your brain think it's cramped because of how small the machine is.

But hey, the 13" is still awesome and well worth it for the only .5lb extra weight, the SD card slot and the extra resolution.
I wasn't going by how it looked. In fact I LOVED how the 11" looked, but it felt a little shitty for me to type on compared to the 13". I actually really wanted to get the 11" instead because it was cheaper and the portability was amazing. But they felt different to me.

Whether that is because I am crazy, whether that is because there is additional space to rest your palms due to the larger form factor or whether that is because "full sized keyboard" is some bullshit marketing by Apple and the keyboards are slightly different in size I really don't know.

Jasoco

Banned
It's the same size. That's why it's the only Apple computer with a 16:9 screen instead of 16:10. That allows it to be wide enough to fit the whole keyboard.
iMac's have 16:9 screens too actually. As do the Thunderbolt displays.

In fact, the MacBook Air 13" and all the Pro's are the only Macs without 16:9.

Whether that is because I am crazy, whether that is because there is additional space to rest your palms due to the larger form factor or whether that is because "full sized keyboard" is some bullshit marketing by Apple and the keyboards are slightly different in size I really don't know.
It's probably the palm-rest size. It's much smaller depth-wise. Makes it feel more cramped.

Tobor

iMac's have 16:9 screens too actually. As do the Thunderbolt displays.

In fact, the MacBook Air 13" and all the Pro's are the only Macs without 16:9.

It's probably the palm-rest size. It's much smaller depth-wise. Makes it feel more cramped.

You're right, I meant to say only MacBook with 16:9.

sk3

Banned
The keyboard was the dealbreaker? Not the resolution? I don't know how any could live with 1366x768 (or whatever), it's abhorrent. It's the only reason I'm going to get the 13" instead of the 11.

bionic77

The keyboard was the dealbreaker? Not the resolution? I don't know how any could live with 1366x768 (or whatever), it's abhorrent. It's the only reason I'm going to get the 13" instead of the 11.

I could live with the smaller screen. Portability makes up for that. Lion is pretty much designed to take advantage of that shortcoming anyways.

But I type a shitload and have to love the keyboard.

RBH

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Incase+...8185&skuId=8740142&st=incase sleeve&cp=2&lp=1

I've used this sleeve for my 13" laptop since last May, and it's been great.

Alfarif

Maybe someone can answer this:

20120121-112g2fcey38i57y17cnfhytsj5.jpg

Whenever I have this gesture activated in BTT, instead of actually issuing a middle click, it brings the Dashboard forward. When I deactivate the gesture, the dashboard does not activate at all.

This is my computer:

20120121-xrfcu7h31arhcu7q4dibt43nam.jpg

DemonNite

When is it normally that Apple do MBP announcements in the year? I've been on the look out for one recently to get some app development going but willing to wait just a bit to see what they do next with the model.

any suggestions on what I could do while I wait? I've tried vmware but my PC is too old to even get Snow Leopard up and running! and I also don't have a laptop good enough to hackintosh.

There's rumors that Apple is gonna announce a super high-res (2880x1880) "retina" MBP so you might be in for a nice treat with this model, I guess the announcement would be tagged along with the iPad 3...so sometime in late Feb/early March is my guess.

DemonNite

that sounds good and even if I don't get the latest revision, the current gen will drop down in price to save me a bit of cash (or put it towards upgraded parts).

Can't wait to see what they update

Blackhead

Redarse
? Apple doesn't make announcements for Mac updates anymore :/. I think Apple is also waiting for new processors from Intel so April for Ivy bridge at the earliest. I expect an update around WWDC with an 'announcement' on the website.

^

Hmm, yeah that's probably right. I guess I thought that bringing retina to Mac would be worthy of at least a tag along announcement with the retina iPad.

mf.luder

Any non-apple displays that can out put the same resolution and look as clean? I'm been trying to find some but the few I looked at we're higher. I've decided to build a nice hackintosh rather than purchase the display.

Ryn

Ah okay, thanks. Yeah I don't have a thunderbolt apple display. Was just planning on using my monitor that I already had for my PC.

Willectro

Banned
So I just got back from the Apple Store. I have a early 2011 13" i5 MBP. It is still under the 1 year of Applecare. The issue I'm having with it is heat. When I have more than 2 or 3 applications running (or even just a browser with flash), the MBP gets quite warm (95 celcius / 203 Fahrenheit) and the fan ramps up and becomes quite loud. This is a massive annoyance and for the price I paid, this should not be the case in my opinion. I called Apple and set up an appointment with a "Genius".

I get there today and within 30 seconds of speaking to the genius, he tells me in a very condescending manner that my MBP is not a laptop but a portable computer and therefore cannot be used on a lap. And it continued from there, I said it gets hot when using flash, he said that's Adobes problem. I said it gets hot using 2 or more applications at once, he says to one use one at a time then. One at a time?!?! Are you kidding me, I spend $1300 on this craptop to only be able to run 1 application at a time or else have the computer get warm enough to fry an egg? I don't think so. So the genius runs a few tests and claims everything is fine and these "portable computers" have physical limitations that I need to be aware of. And of course the manager/supervisor are on "lunch".

I have a 5 year old Lenovo that runs much cooler and faster than this laptop. I wish I had of realized this while I could still return this POS. When something costs this much, I expect much better customer service as well. Even if there is no solution, you don't speak to customers like they are stupid.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to call Apple tonight and try to get this sorted out. </rant>

Blackhead

Redarse
So I just got back from the Apple Store. I have a early 2011 13" i5 MBP. It is still under the 1 year of Applecare. The issue I'm having with it is heat. When I have more than 2 or 3 applications running (or even just a browser with flash), the MBP gets quite warm (95 celcius / 203 Fahrenheit) and the fan ramps up and becomes quite loud. This is a massive annoyance and for the price I paid, this should not be the case in my opinion. I called Apple and set up an appointment with a "Genius".

I get there today and within 30 seconds of speaking to the genius, he tells me in a very condescending manner that my MBP is not a laptop but a portable computer and therefore cannot be used on a lap. And it continued from there, I said it gets hot when using flash, he said that's Adobes problem. I said it gets hot using 2 or more applications at once, he says to one use one at a time then. One at a time?!?! Are you kidding me, I spend $1300 on this craptop to only be able to run 1 application at a time or else have the computer get warm enough to fry an egg? I don't think so. So the genius runs a few tests and claims everything is fine and these "portable computers" have physical limitations that I need to be aware of. And of course the manager/supervisor are on "lunch".

I have a 5 year old Lenovo that runs much cooler and faster than this laptop. I wish I had of realized this while I could still return this POS. When something costs this much, I expect much better customer service as well. Even if there is no solution, you don't speak to customers like they are stupid.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to call Apple tonight and try to get this sorted out. </rant>
:/ Apple never describes their notebooks as laptops. You really really dont want those machines on your laps. This isn't one of those customer service situations where Apple bends the rules, you should either sell and find a quieter Macbook model or get one of those laptop coolers.

Willectro

Banned

Jasoco

Banned
Laptop is a very dangerous word these days. Which is why they're called Notebooks. Back in the days when processors were slower and computers didn't get as cool, it was fine to put it on your lap. But now you cant avoid the heat. It's not good AT ALL to put the computer directly on your lap. Use a protector, a little lapdesk or something. And it IS Adobe's problem. Not Apple's. It's Intel's problem. NOT APPLE'S. You're trying to blame the computer maker and it's not at all their fault. It's Adobe's shitty Flash software and the fact that the faster a processor goes, the hotter it gets. Flash needs a lot of resources. Playing videos needs a lot of resources. Anything that needs a lot of resources is going to make your fans spin and your processor hot. Live with it. Or stop using computers all together. Because this is the facts of life.

A cooler isn't going to make it stop running hot. It's just going to blow the heat away to keep it from being so hot you can't put it on your lap. It's not like you can shove a water cooling machine inside a notebook.

Sorry, but yeah. Heat is not going away any time soon whether you have a MacBook or a PC laptop.

Blackhead

Redarse
Laptop is a very dangerous word these days. Which is why they're called Notebooks. Back in the days when processors were slower and computers didn't get as cool, it was fine to put it on your lap. But now you cant avoid the heat. It's not good AT ALL to put the computer directly on your lap. Use a protector, a little lapdesk or something. And it IS Adobe's problem. Not Apple's. It's Intel's problem. NOT APPLE'S. You're trying to blame the computer maker and it's not at all their fault. It's Adobe's shitty Flash software and the fact that the faster a processor goes, the hotter it gets. Flash needs a lot of resources. Playing videos needs a lot of resources. Anything that needs a lot of resources is going to make your fans spin and your processor hot. Live with it. Or stop using computers all together. Because this is the facts of life.

You're overstating the case here. It is Apple's problem, they put the parts together. Not every laptop notebook has this problem.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, what? The Macbook line is absolutely notorious for running at absurdly hot temperatures. It's nobody BUT Apple's problem. Lastly, it is NOT inherent to the notebook formfactor in any way.

Willectro

Banned
Yeah, what? The Macbook line is absolutely notorious for running at absurdly hot temperatures. It's nobody BUT Apple's problem. Lastly, it is NOT inherent to the notebook formfactor in any way.

Yet when you talk to a "Genius" they are shocked that it runs hot. Everyone who owns a MB knows this.

I'm not even so mad about the problem anymore, I guess I can live with the heat. Its just how fucking condescending the "genius" was. They know the MBP has the issue. Don't try and put it on the user. If their products were a tenth of the price, I could understand. But at this price point, my patience for this shit is zero.

Top Bottom