• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Quick

Banned
^Exactly my situation, rarely ever use it. The trackpad is just so good, especially with BTT. I've thought of getting the external trackpad though, but I didn't think it was worth it for a MBP person.

Unless you plan on having the MBP hooked up to a monitor, and making a dedicated desktop space for it, then I don't think so.

If you do, MagicWand seems like a cool little thing to get to connect both the trackpad and keyboard together.

Help. I don't know what's going on. I delete podcasts I don't want from iTunes, but every time I sync my iPhone it copies them back onto the computer. How do I stop it from doing this?

I've been holding out on a MBP refresh to see if they'd include Ivy bridge and make it more portable but I think I might just go with the next MBA refresh. I could use it to compliment my Windows laptop and bring it to class with me.

Since I'm going to install an SSD in to my Macbook Pro later today I was wondering if there are any good programs to benchmark my current performance

noah111

Still Alive
Unless you plan on having the MBP hooked up to a monitor, and making a dedicated desktop space for it, then I don't think so.

If you do, MagicWand seems like a cool little thing to get to connect both the trackpad and keyboard together.
I'd feel like a schmuck spending 30 bucks on that, but I definitely would.

When the refreshes hit, I'm almost certain i'm going to make the jump from my 15" MBP to whatever is new.

UNLESS, there really is now way for me to get at least 500GB in the thing due to SDD or whatever, if that's the case i'll have to pass.

Also plan on getting a thunderbolt display, but i'm afraid they're going to update them or lower the prices. Is that to be expected anytime within the next year?

Help. I don't know what's going on. I delete podcasts I don't want from iTunes, but every time I sync my iPhone it copies them back onto the computer. How do I stop it from doing this?
I've deleted the tracks on iTunes, and yet they're still always there on the iPhone and they always copy over. I've even tried to do 'manually manage music' and it's still happening. ARGHHHHH

It would make sense for them to add USB 3.0 ports to the thunderbolt display this year, assuming macs receive the USB 3.0 treatment. That's probably worth waiting for.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Donkey boner, I kinda need an iMac by the end of the month. There's an Apple event at the end of the month but it's very unlikely they'll update iMacs at this event, right? I've never had to buy a Apple computer so close to an expected update :\

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hope they refresh the MBA SSDs some time this year, I'll be transitioning from a work-owned device to a personally-owned device and I'd like to benefit from it, hahaha.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Donkey boner, I kinda need an iMac by the end of the month. There's an Apple event at the end of the month but it's very unlikely they'll update iMacs at this event, right? I've never had to buy a Apple computer so close to an expected update :\

I would hold off buying an iMac. Macrumours doesn't recommend it, and I agree it's due for an update.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't know about significantly better battery life between both models. AnandTech ran test and for light usage (ie. light web browsing, no flash+itunes or reading or editing documents) the difference was 30 minutes between both. That's not significantly better to me.

when you're mobile then thirty minutes is significant (well to me anyway) The light usuage test is the best case, "glorified typewriter" scenario. Most people would fall under the other scenarios which provide a greater gap in battery life.

y2ZrE.png

I'd feel like a schmuck spending 30 bucks on that, but I definitely would.

When the refreshes hit, I'm almost certain i'm going to make the jump from my 15" MBP to whatever is new.

UNLESS, there really is now way for me to get at least 500GB in the thing due to SDD or whatever, if that's the case i'll have to pass.

Also plan on getting a thunderbolt display, but i'm afraid they're going to update them or lower the prices. Is that to be expected anytime within the next year?

I bought that and couldn't bear it for a day. l got a bullet train instead and that wasn't much better. I blame the trackpad, it's just not very good. I suggest elevating your 'monitor and using the trackpad and keyboard on the MBP. It's the perfect combo.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
but most people that would buy a MBA 11'' would use it a glorified typewriter (reading/writing documents+light web browsing with no flash+taking notes).

380 minutes is still quite a lot, all things considered. I doubt you would find yourself using all 6 hours of charge in a single day at college or work.

they didn't specify the brightness settings and stuff, but I'm guessing 40% of brightness would be more than adequate.

Blackhead

Redarse
but most people that would buy a MBA 11'' would use it a glorified typewriter (reading/writing documents+light web browsing with no flash+taking notes).

380 minutes is still quite a lot, all things considered. I doubt you would find yourself using all 6 hours of charge in a single day at college or work.

they didn't specify the brightness settings and stuff, but I'm guessing 40% of brightness would be more than adequate.

Say what now? Most people have flash installed and they use it regularly when watching web videos (which is a huge battery killer). They are also decent multitaskers (Facebook and Skype in addition to Word and iTunes are always open). A Gaffer is likely savvy enough to avoid all that Flash but then we are heavy multitaskers. I have more stuff running in menubar than most people have as open apps.

I've deleted the tracks on iTunes, and yet they're still always there on the iPhone and they always copy over. I've even tried to do 'manually manage music' and it's still happening. ARGHHHHH

music != podcasts - there's a seperate tab for those when your phone is plugged in, as I recall?

kaskade

I did that for a customer not too long ago. You can choose what drive to boot from, no problem.

BUT, you are losing the optical drive. If you want to watch your copy of Transformers 2 that you got at Wal-Mart for $2.99, YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK!

Ok that should make the transfer process a bit easier then. I was thinking of going for the 128 for the OS and apps like I said. Then maybe I'll transfer some essentials over the pics, music and docs. wipe the HDD, then transfer the bigger stuff back over.

Tobor

I was able to find a buyer for my 2007 MacBook, so I purchased a Mini last night. All I need is a media server, the odd task or two, and Minecraft every now and then, so this thing is great.

I'm now officially in the iPad/desktop club.

EDIT: I had an interesting time buying this at Best Buy, as well. They made sure to let me know I received 12 months of Mac antivirus for free, then handed me a disc. Lol. I didn't bother saying anything.

music != podcasts - there's a seperate tab for those when your phone is plugged in, as I recall?

Yeah and I only have the ones checked that I want.

I've had this iPhone for 2+ years and have always had and listened to podcasts, and I've never had this problem before. I don't understand what the issue is.

John_B

I'm jumping on a 27" iMac when they refresh with Ivy Bridge. SSD for awesome and big GPU for Diablo III.

I hope by then they revise the SSD (faste, less expensive) and offer up some nice 7970m/7990m GPU's.

caramac

I would hold off buying an iMac. Macrumours doesn't recommend it, and I agree it's due for an update.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

There's a pretty good video at that link you posted if you click on "more imac rumours ...
YouTube link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xS2ZipMM2Oo

The video above was sent in by a reader. He filmed it on his 27" 3.4GHz Core i7, 16GB of RAM and the 256GB SSD option. He opens all the standard applications that come with the iMac simultaneously (though with Front Row and Dashboard deselected, because they're both full-screen apps) as a quick demo of the speed of his new SSD iMac.

Wow, impressive.

Midas

I'm jumping on a 27" iMac when they refresh with Ivy Bridge. SSD for awesome and big GPU for Diablo III.

I hope by then they revise the SSD (faste, less expensive) and offer up some nice 7970m/7990m GPU's.

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for as well. April perhaps?

Over the past couple of weeks the led on the power cord for my macbook pro has been going dim... It will usually be the bright green/orange but every once in a while I'll notice it's dim like it's not even on but it still shows as plunged in on the battery icon. Is this normal? Right now it's doing it while the battery is at 100% but I haven't paid enough attention other times to check when it goes dim.

LeleSocho

Banned
4 days ago i bought the lower end MBP15, the 1799$ one... coming from a early 2009 white plastic Macbook (not even the unibody one) the jump was incredible, I can finally see a youtube video without the fans destroying my ears...
but...
i can't really find any benchmark for the gpu... i can only find the ones for the 1GB version of the 6750m but the mine is a 512MB (which is a little pathetic for a 2011/12 15' 1800$ laptop even more if it has a "Pro" in the name but whatever...) i can only find bench for old games or not very high demanding and always at not native resolution ... for example i'd like to know how will perform... dunno... Skyrim or the first Crysis or Deus Ex:HR...
thanks to anyone can help me.

Ryn

Would the base model of the 2011 11" Macbook Air 64gb ssd/2gb ram be enough for running xcode 4? Or would the jump to 4gigs ram be pretty much necessary?

Note: This is all I want a mba for. Code development and very very casual/mobile usage.

Jasoco

Banned
Don't get that 64GB model. Just spend the extra couple hundred. A 64GB drive is not good for anything. You'll run out of space so fast it's not even funny. Even if it's just for Xcode.

I use my MBA13 for coding and casual usage. I can see Xcode working with 2GB but depending on the size of project and other things I really think you want the 128GB/4GB model no matter what.

Tobor

How does that work though? If you're changing the HD, how is all the data transferred?

1. Make sure you have a recent TM backup on your external drive.
2. Take out the old drive.
3. Install new drive.
4. Install Lion.(cmd+R at boot, choose to install)
5. It will ask if you want to use your TM backup, say yes. Choose the external drive.
6. That's it. Works the same way when you upgrade to a new Mac. I just did it last night.

1. Make sure you have a recent TM backup on your external drive.
2. Take out the old drive.
3. Install new drive.
4. Install Lion.(cmd+R at boot, choose to install)
5. It will ask if you want to use your TM backup, say yes. Choose the external drive.
6. That's it. Works the same way when you upgrade to a new Mac. I just did it last night.

Thanks, what type of hard drive works best with a 2010 MBP 13"?

dc89

bionic77

Thanks, what type of hard drive works best with a 2010 MBP 13"?
They are a couple bucks more expensive but some people say OCZ. That is what I put in my '10 15" MBP.

I have decided on the 13" Air (like the bigger keyboard), but I am looking at prices on Amazon and it seems markedly cheaper there and I won't have to pay taxes on it either. Is there any reason I would not get it from Amazon (I will wait until March to see if they update). I mean the warranty is the same no matter where you get it from.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm in the process of trying to sell my 2010 MacBook (last of the white model), for a new laptop. I'm considering a 15" MBP... Is it worth the extra money to go for the MBP with the 1gig Radeon or should I go with 512gig version? I really don't know how much gaming I'm going to do.

(In addition, the extra 300 dollars seems to get you a slightly faster processor and a bigger HD)

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I'm in the process of trying to sell my 2010 MacBook (last of the white model), for a new laptop. I'm considering a 15" MBP... Is it worth the extra money to go for the MBP with the 1gig Radeon or should I go with 512gig version? I really don't know how much gaming I'm going to do.

(In addition, the extra 300 dollars seems to get you a slightly faster processor and a bigger HD)

Aside from gaming, how much video editing (particularly After Effects and Motion) and/or 3D modeling do you do? VRAM helps immensely in those situations, as well.

ruxtpin

Banned
Actually, I doubt I'd be do any of that. It'd be used for designing the GUI for an iPhone/Android app and perhaps some 2D games, but nothing intensive. Though, if I could eventually play StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3, that'd be might fine.

Sanjuro

I have the chance to get a Thunderbolt Display very cheap, but I talked myself out of it. I would only be able to use it with my mini.

I'm curious if there would be a performance hit for running that machine at such a high resolution?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Actually, I doubt I'd be do any of that. It'd be used for designing the GUI for an iPhone/Android app and perhaps some 2D games, but nothing intensive. Though, if I could eventually play StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3, that'd be might fine.

The frugal me says go with what's good enough... the future looking me says get the best you can get. Depending on how long you have the machine, you could en up taking major advantage of the 1GB VRAM, though you probably won't see a lot of usage during regular use. If you were more heavily into digital media creation, it would be a no brainer, but it seems like you won't be putting it through its paces too much in the near future. Still, if you can float it and you don't mind, I say go for the 1GB VRAM machine.

Top Bottom