• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't understand why, when you have "install OS updates automatically" turned on, it closes all your programs BEFORE asking if you want to install. How did they screw that up? It's been like this for a while. Plus if you have Do Not Disturb turned on, it doesn't even ask. So all your stuff suddenly closes and it sits there not doing anything.

Worst part is I turned automatic OS updates off with the last update which promptly turned it back on. Why do these updates keep reenabling pretty significant options like this?

kennah

So somehow from one day to the next internet sharing on my mac has stopped working.

It says it is, but nothing can connect to it. Too bad, I was using it as a wireless bridge to get internet on my pc in a different room.

Any tips for why it would stop working?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How much will I hate myself in the future if I get a 455 Radeon instead of a 460 in the late 2016 MacBook pro?

I've seen a few sales (Adorama, etc) on the 455 models, and a few people selling second hand already. Easy way to save some money.

But like you, I know I'll hate myself if I don't get the 460.

Bumhead

Banned
Having a weird time with photos on iOS.

I've enabled iCloud for photos and it says it's updated and uploaded them all. This should mean they're all in the cloud and "backed up", right? Is it possible to delete the photos from my local phone storage but keep the photos in iCloud? Attempts to delete photos says about deleting from the iCloud library on all devices, and they disappear from my albums.

What I want is for my photos to be backed up and in the cloud as soon as I take them, and to maintain no photos stored locally on my own phone.

Are you oing something wrong?

Having a weird time with photos on iOS.

I've enabled iCloud for photos and it says it's updated and uploaded them all. This should mean they're all in the cloud and "backed up", right? Is it possible to delete the photos from my local phone storage but keep the photos in iCloud? Attempts to delete photos says about deleting from the iCloud library on all devices, and they disappear from my albums.

What I want is for my photos to be backed up and in the cloud as soon as I take them, and to maintain no photos stored locally on my own phone.

Are you oing something wrong?

The only option it gives you is to optimize phone storage. Basically the photos app takes up minimal space on your device and will get rid of local caches as needed

There's no way to manually delete them all though and keep them in the cloud

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So, at what point in time did Apple remove the ability to FaceTime (Video) with more than two people?

When it came out in like 2002 it was a HUGE deal being able to video chat with 3 or 4 people at once. A huge bullet point and keynote demo.

Now we can't even do it anymore? When did that disappear? And why?

Fake edit: Okay, I see now that iChat was what let you do multiple people at once. FaceTime is 2010. iChat was 2002. How stupid as hell is that? What could the reason possibly be for not allowing multiple people when iChat, which is pretty much the same thing in this day and age, could do it 14 years ago? You can do it with FaceTime audio, with actual phone calls, with group text messages in every single messaging app, with Skype if you want (But Skype is a piece of shit) but you can't with FaceTime.

So disappointing.

I think there's a copyright reason why they never had more than 2 people on FaceTime video. Can you really do it with FaceTime audio? I didn't think you could for the same reason

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think there's a copyright reason why they never had more than 2 people on FaceTime video. Can you really do it with FaceTime audio? I didn't think you could for the same reason
Supposedly if you put them on hold you can add someone. I haven't tried it myself.

As for copyright I know they used to have to charge $1 for the app back in the day because of legal Mumbo jumbo but I thought that was dropped since I assume the charge was just a formality. Still doesn't explain why iChat video can do it. Apple is rich as shit. If there's legal reasons they could have dropped a fat check by now.

I'm looking to get a new MacBook Pro 13-inch. I'm currently using a MBP 13-inch from mid-2010 and it's definitely slowing down.

Right now, trying to decide between the Touch Bar and non-Touch Bar. Performance wise, I mostly use it for watching movies on the go, web use (10-15+ tabs usually), and some photo editing. I think either option would seem like a leap in quality to me, but is the performance quality between Touch Bar and non-Touch Bar big enough that I should spring for the Touch Bar?

I'm also hesitant to go with that option because of the battery life issues. Right now on my 2010 MBP, I only get around 2 hours non wi-fi watching movies and around 2.5 hours with wi-fi doing web browsing, anything would be a big jump.

I'm planning to pick up the new MBP tomorrow, so any advice would be welcome.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm looking to get a new MacBook Pro 13-inch. I'm currently using a MBP 13-inch from mid-2010 and it's definitely slowing down.

Right now, trying to decide between the Touch Bar and non-Touch Bar. Performance wise, I mostly use it for watching movies on the go, web use (10-15+ tabs usually), and some photo editing. I think either option would seem like a leap in quality to me, but is the performance quality between Touch Bar and non-Touch Bar big enough that I should spring for the Touch Bar?

I'm also hesitant to go with that option because of the battery life issues. Right now on my 2010 MBP, I only get around 2 hours non wi-fi watching movies and around 2.5 hours with wi-fi doing web browsing, anything would be a big jump.

I'm planning to pick up the new MBP tomorrow, so any advice would be welcome.

For your uses, the performance quality differences would be meaningless.

However for your uses, TouchID (right now) and TouchBar (potentially) are a big enough jump. They'll certainly help with how well the machine ages if you intend to keep it for another 6 years before upgrading.

Frankly if cost is not a concern then just get the highest specs model.

(If cost is a concern then skip both MacBook Escape and MacBook TouchBar and get a 2015 rMBP instead)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn just saw the news about handbrake.
Pretty amazing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Never once did it occur to me Handbrake was in beta. It was always a stable trooper for me. Could convert pretty much anything including the HD protected MPEG stream files of the Back to the Future trilogy I recorded off Universal HD back in 2006 and downloaded to my Mac back in my G4 days.

So, at what point in time did Apple remove the ability to FaceTime (Video) with more than two people?

When it came out in like 2002 it was a HUGE deal being able to video chat with 3 or 4 people at once. A huge bullet point and keynote demo.

Now we can't even do it anymore? When did that disappear? And why?

Fake edit: Okay, I see now that iChat was what let you do multiple people at once. FaceTime is 2010. iChat was 2002. How stupid as hell is that? What could the reason possibly be for not allowing multiple people when iChat, which is pretty much the same thing in this day and age, could do it 14 years ago? You can do it with FaceTime audio, with actual phone calls, with group text messages in every single messaging app, with Skype if you want (But Skype is a piece of shit) but you can't with FaceTime.

So disappointing.

They've been going through a lot of legal trouble with a patent troll over FaceTime. I believe this is the reason it hasn't been improved over the years aside from adding audio only calling.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/10/1/13130722/apple-been-ordered-virnetx-patent-lawsuit-facetime?client=safari

Hmm for some reason when I try to backup my Mac, it now tells me that my backup drive doesn't have enough space. Usually it just deletes old backups and backs up only the new stuff but it seems like I need additional space to do it. Should I just delete everything in my external HDD and start a fresh backup? Not sure why this started to happen. I'm on Sierra.

Also is it possible to save full Time Machine backups to iCloud? Or do I need to do it on an external HDD? I'm thinking about going full iCloud for iPhone backups as well considering they take up a significant chunk of my HD space.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I need like one more USB port on my iMac. I have 4 but I need to hook up like one more drive. But I have two Thunderbolt ports I don't even use. I assume they're just Thunderbolt 1.0, not 2 or 3. I was wondering what my options were for getting a simple adapter that turns the Thunderbolt port (I have two, I'll never use both if even one of them) into a USB 3 port so I can at least utilize it. I don't want to buy a whole new USB 3.0 hub when I only need one port unless it's my best option. I'd rather just have an adapter if they exist. Unless they're outrageously expensive. All I own is a USB 2.0 hub and it requires AC and of course USB 2 is extremely slow in comparison.

Maybe such a thing exists as a 2-port USB 3.0 hub instead? Even if it has 3 ports. But I want it to be powered. I'd rather not have to plug in yet another wall wart.
Reposting my question since no one answered it. I really could go for something like this.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Every so often I feel a mild regret that I didn't nab the 16GB upgrade when purchasing my MacBook Pro...looking back over Black Friday sales says it would have been only $100 more...I figure if I was dropping $1700 I may as well have gone for $1800.

All of the research that I did prior to purchase said that 8GB would be more than enough if I wasn't doing anything substantial on the computer, which is definitely the case, but I guess it would have been nice to future proof myself.

Oh well, what's done is done, just may as well move on at this point.

And thus ends my weird lament/regret of the day.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Last time I checked TB hubs were expensive. Never heard of an adaptor.
I Googled and saw an adapter that was over $100 for just a USB port. I don't get why.

What about a USB3 hub with a small amount of ports that possibly doesn't need to be powered separately that can support hard drives?

Deku Tree

I Googled and saw an adapter that was over $100 for just a USB port. I don't get why.

What about a USB3 hub with a small amount of ports that possibly doesn't need to be powered separately that can support hard drives?

I don't think that exists. Physics and stuff dictates that you'd need power

http://www.kanex.com/thunderbolt-esata

USB 3 and eSata to TB1.

Suspect the adaptor is going to be bulky for all the components to support the power transformer needed for the USB3 (higher current, lower voltage). There is probably not enough juice to support two USB3 ports. (Assuming 100% efficiency it could only just be done; these things are not 100% efficient).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't think that exists. Physics and stuff dictates that you'd need power
Well then I'd have to suck it up and add yet another plug to my already way full clump of AC adapters.

Alternatively, if only I could just get a bigger HDD for a cheap price. But I'd need like 12TB to justify it. Have we stopped making advancements in HDD capacity? And why is Thunderbolt still so expensive? Have they given up making it cheaper because the older versions are dead and we're finally replacing it all with one port?

Ahhh what the heck

Bought this for Black Friday but my New MacBook Pro is sometimes stalling with the spinning wheel when using safari (opening new tabs or pages or whatever)

Fuchsdh

Well then I'd have to suck it up and add yet another plug to my already way full clump of AC adapters.

Alternatively, if only I could just get a bigger HDD for a cheap price. But I'd need like 12TB to justify it. Have we stopped making advancements in HDD capacity? And why is Thunderbolt still so expensive? Have they given up making it cheaper because the older versions are dead and we're finally replacing it all with one port?

They came out with 8TB HDDs recently, so not really. Potential hard drive capacity has doubled since I bought my 4-bay RAID in 2013 @ 16TB.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They came out with 8TB HDDs recently, so not really. Potential hard drive capacity has doubled since I bought my 4-bay RAID in 2013 @ 16TB.
I've had an 8TB drive for 2 years now and they're still the same price I bought it at then. (~$200) They're not that recent. I can't believe we don't even have a 10TB dingle drive option.

Fuchsdh

I've had an 8TB drive for 2 years now and they're still the same price I bought it at then. (~$200) They're not that recent. I can't believe we don't even have a 10TB single drive option.

They exist. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=10tb hard drive&Submit=ENE

One problem I know was a factor when they were first produced is they were only really good for enterprise/cold storage uses, as they achieved the disk density in a 3.5" form factor by basically stacking data on top of each other, making reads slower. Dunno if that's still an issue.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They exist. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=10tb hard drive&Submit=ENE

One problem I know was a factor when they were first produced is they were only really good for enterprise/cold storage uses, as they achieved the disk density in a 3.5" form factor by basically stacking data on top of each other, making reads slower. Dunno if that's still an issue.
Those prices though. The drive alone is almost $500. For 2TB more it's more than twice the price. That's ridiculous. Call me when I can get 10TB for $200.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Looking for a decent sleeve recommendation as well. I don't plan on taking my Macbook Pro out of my home but I'd to be able to cover it so I can put it in a drawer or on a shelf without worrying about something banging it up.

I like Waterfield Design's Maxwell sleeve but $100 is a bit more than I was looking to spend.

Ended up picking up the 2016 MBP 15" w/ touch bar this week. I'm transitionining from a MacBook Air which is going to be my wife's computer when I fix the battery.

So far so good. I don't care about or care for the touch bar, I really just wanted to make sure it wouldn't interfere as a developer. It's basically fine. It's a lateral move, IMO, not an improvement over the old buttons but as long as I can still get to escape at all times, I don't care. It's not something I would willingly spend more money to have, I don't think it's an improvement but it works fine.

I don't really use the USB ports that often and I have a Pixel XL for my phone so ironically my phone is MacBook Pro 2016 compatible, where as I understand someone with an iphone would not be able to interact with the MBP without a dongle.

My other concern was the low profile, low travel keyboard. I used the MBP at the Apple store before buying it, and I was pleasantly surprised by the keyboard. Even though the travel is really low and I didn't think that I'd like it (I hated it on the previous MacBook), it seemed pretty good at tthe store. I can only say that I've liked it even more since getting it. I got used to it immediately and haven't made any typing errors at all. The travel is low but the keys have a really solid feel to them that I like a lot... They feel ultra responsive. I'm surprised that I'd actually like this more than my previous MacBook Air keyboard.

Replacing Mag Safe with USB C doesn't bother me and I never really liked Magsafe that much anyway. I think this is more of a PR problem for Apple than a real problem for users. Apple ran such a strong PR campaign around MagSafe that people actually thought it was better than other plugs... The whole "my dog could have broken my computer!" is such a remote possibility, it always felt like a step back from every other computer I used... Particularly when on a bed or on the couch where it was much more likely that MAgSafe would pop off and I wouldn't be charging. Still, there's some aspects of MagSafe that I'll miss, particularly the little indicator which tells you if it's charging and if the battery is full. Those are those small little things that you kinda wonder why Apple designed out... THey were the things that it seemed like Apple always thought of. As far as I can tell there's no indication of charging status without opening up the computer.

I like the big trackpad. It's overkill but I like it.

I Got the space grey model and it's a nice looking machine.

Performance has been good, I didn't buy the super high end one, just the 256GB version (2.6 i7, Radeo 455, etc). So far, the performance has been good. I haven't had enough time to tell how the battery is. It sounds as though the battery inconsistencies with this may be a software issue as well so hopefully Apple will investigate. Sadly they're playing coy with reporters who are asking about it and suggesting that the battery performance is as intended, sort of like the new version of "You're holding your phone wrong..."

The finger print sensor is good but every time I've used it I've also accidentally hit siri and I have to turn that off. Oddly, there's a lot of things you can't use it for which is weird... Like Apple ID. AppleID is one of the few things I'd like to finger print into. I wonder if you can use it for sudo commands in terminal...? I doubt it but that would be awesome.

I bought this one rather than the 2015 model because I had about $1300 off with credit card points and Amazon gift cards.

Still using it, I'll have more feedback on it soon.

--

Sleeves. I bought this sleeve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJBDC70/?tag=neogaf0e-20 . Will let you know how it is when it comes in on Monday this week.

Sleeves. I bought this sleeve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJBDC70/?tag=neogaf0e-20 . Will let you know how it is when it comes in on Monday this week.
I got an Inateck sleeve too, but a different version to that one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X97M6IU/) and overall it's quite nice.

I wouldn't trust it to survive any real damage, but it's primarily used just to hold the laptop in my bag. The pocket is small, but holds the two dongles (a USB-C to USB-A adapter, and a USB-C to HDMI adapter) and external hard drive (a Seagate external HDD) I have quite snugly. I wouldn't say it offers substantial protection by any means, but it feels quite nice. It hasn't sustained any real damage since I received it, but for the price I wouldn't be surprised if the zips don't hold up. I'd comfortably buy it again, and I've no complaints yet, but it hasn't had any major impacts thus far so it really is tough to say.

Deku Tree

My iMac keeps losing the ability to open my bookmarks from my iOS devices etc. I reset safari bookmark syncing by turning it off and then turning it back on... then I start to see my bookmarks briefly but then a few days later they disappear again. I am running the latest version of all OS's. Any suggestions?

JDeluis

Looking for a decent sleeve recommendation as well. I don't plan on taking my Macbook Pro out of my home but I'd to be able to cover it so I can put it in a drawer or on a shelf without worrying about something banging it up.

I like Waterfield Design's Maxwell sleeve but $100 is a bit more than I was looking to spend.

Try the Amazon Basic sleeve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TGFWMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought the 13-inch sleeve for my 13" MacBook Pro. It fits a little loose. But I mostly use it to store when I'm at home. Quality is very nice. Love the color as well.

I've seen more people here with sleeves on their MacBooks than I've ever seen in real life. I had no idea this was such a thing. What are y'all doing with them that you're that afraid of scratches? Granted, I'm babying my 2016 MBP, but have no desire to put a sleeve on it, even though I always case my iPhones.

giga

I've seen more people here with sleeves on their MacBooks than I've ever seen in real life. I had no idea this was such a thing. What are y'all doing with them that you're that afraid of scratches? Granted, I'm babying my 2016 MBP, but have no desire to put a sleeve on it, even though I always case my iPhones.

I throw it on the back of my truck bed for commutes. I've done it before without a sleeve but I feel like it would be more prone to scratches and dents.

jts

...hate me...
Funny story, when I bought my first Mac just 7 years ago, a MBP 2010, I bought it straight from Apple Store Online but over the phone.

After going over the MBP details, guy asked me if I wanted to also get a sleeve and I said that I can’t really, so he just told me “hold on let me see what I can do for you... alright there you go”, and threw in the order an Incase sleeve for free. Which I still have and use.

Maybe it’s not much, but man that was dope.

Top Bottom