• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Had this MacBook for around a month and it's already overheating. Had the fans just turn up really loud and all I was doing was watching a video. What gives

Meh3D

I'm on a MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 (3.1Ghz i7 16GB DDR3 512SSD) and it's been annoying the crap out of me. I've done a clean reinstall of the OS since apps were crashing left and right (Safari, Finder) and the spinning color wheel of death. Genius said it was my Sophos Anti-Virus and told me I don't need it (that is another can of worms.) I've reinstalled everything and started from scratch (without the AV). Annoyingly, safari has been hanging or crashing and from time to time one tab will not close (like the tab with the GAF thread on the Switch.)

Genius recommended I do I clean reinstall from time to time. Since when was MacOS like classic windows requiring a re-install? I'm annoyed as fuck since my Sandy Bridge 2011 non-retina 13" MacBook Pro never had issues. I could leave it on for MONTHS without rebooting and seldom any issue.

So I noticed while working today that my 2016 15" MacBook Pro was not charging, even though it's plugged in. The battery menu says the power source is the adapter, but also says the Battery Is Not Charging, and the battery percentage is going down.

I checked the power adapter connection, verified with my iPhone that it is in fact providing power, rebooted the Mac, and reset the SMC. There's been no change. Is my only option to take it to an Apple Store?

jts

...hate me...
I'm on a MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 (3.1Ghz i7 16GB DDR3 512SSD) and it's been annoying the crap out of me. I've done a clean reinstall of the OS since apps were crashing left and right (Safari, Finder) and the spinning color wheel of death. Genius said it was my Sophos Anti-Virus and told me I don't need it (that is another can of worms.) I've reinstalled everything and started from scratch (without the AV). Annoyingly, safari has been hanging or crashing and from time to time one tab will not close (like the tab with the GAF thread on the Switch.)

Genius recommended I do I clean reinstall from time to time. Since when was MacOS like classic windows requiring a re-install? I'm annoyed as fuck since my Sandy Bridge 2011 non-retina 13" MacBook Pro never had issues. I could leave it on for MONTHS without rebooting and seldom any issue.
I have a lower spec'd MBP from 2014 and definitely don't have those issues, so for me it does seem like an isolated incident with that particular unit. Never had to reinstall OS X either in 7 years. Still I'd say if the problem isn't going away you should give an new OS reinstall a try, without the anti-virus. If nothing else, to rule out hardware problems.

I'd never install an anti-virus either, to be honest. Never had an issue in all these years, so I'm willing to take that chance.

So I noticed while working today that my 2016 15" MacBook Pro was not charging, even though it's plugged in. The battery menu says the power source is the adapter, but also says the Battery Is Not Charging, and the battery percentage is going down.

I checked the power adapter connection, verified with my iPhone that it is in fact providing power, rebooted the Mac, and reset the SMC. There's been no change. Is my only option to take it to an Apple Store?
Tried different ports and such? Although, if SMC reset didn't fix it, I'd be inclined to say there's an hardware issue. You're not using a different USB-C cable that doesn't carry as much power right?

Tried different ports and such? Although, if SMC reset didn't fix it, I'd be inclined to say there's an hardware issue. You're not using a different USB-C cable that doesn't carry as much power right?

Yeah, I tried all the ports. And I'm using the power adapter and cable that came with it. Also ran the Diagnostics test and it found no fault, though obviously there must be one unless this is a software issue.

Couldn't get a Genius appointment until Thursday. Wish there was a business tier for support. I have to say, in my years of Mac use, I've never had a Mac fail like this within a month of purchase. My 2008 Mac Pro is still going strong, and I'll have to revert to using that for now until this is fixed. Pretty disappointed in Apple right now. A $4k "pro" machine should be completely reliable.

Aske

I shouldn't need to ask this in 2017, because this is such a common problem that had an easy solution when I needed it 12 years ago, but I'm going nuts searching tonight: I need to recover some files from my iPhone to my iMac - podcasts stored in the offical app that I can't download again, and which I want to back up. Can anyone recommend some free or cheap software to facilitate this?

I'm at my wits' end trying to find a solution on Google because apparently these days the results are flooded with websites set up as search engine spam for the same three pieces of $40 software. I don't want to pay $40 to recover some free podcasts; I don't want to support software companies that break Google; and the more spammy someone's ads are, the less I trust them to not be vile malware.

I shouldn't need to ask this in 2017, because this is such a common problem that had an easy solution when I needed it 12 years ago, but I'm going nuts searching tonight: I need to recover some files from my iPhone to my iMac - podcasts stored in the offical app that I can't download again, and which I want to back up. Can anyone recommend some free or cheap software to facilitate this?

I still use iExplorer, which does a decent enough job.

Meh3D

There is a misunderstanding here. I already reinstalled everything. I'm talking about doing all over again.

I have a lower spec'd MBP from 2014 and definitely don't have those issues, so for me it does seem like an isolated incident with that particular unit. Never had to reinstall OS X either in 7 years. Still I'd say if the problem isn't going away you should give an new OS reinstall a try, without the anti-virus. If nothing else, to rule out hardware problems.

I'd never install an anti-virus either, to be honest. Never had an issue in all these years, so I'm willing to take that chance.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Any 13" 2016 Macbook Pro owners out there? What case do you use? I know a few recommendations have been made in this thread already but I'm trying to see what's my best bang for the buck.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Had to leave my Touch Bar MBP at the Apple Store. They don't know why the battery isn't charging and are going to talk with the engineering team. I really hope they can fix it locally because it's a BTO and my particular build is a 3-4 week wait. In addition to the time it will take having to set up a new machine again.

I got my new MacBook Pro here and I am trying to set up my old video game capture that uses USB

I don't understand which dongles adapters I can buy to get things up and running

About this Mac says I have 2 thunderbolt 3s I am kinda confused is that a renamed USB-C

I found this
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?fnode=8b

USB c to USB I can use this for what I want to do?

if not renamed thunderbolt 3 to USB would be what I should look for?

jts

...hate me...
I got my new MacBook Pro here and I am trying to set up my old video game capture that uses USB

I don't understand which dongles adapters I can buy to get things up and running

About this Mac says I have 2 thunderbolt 3s I am kinda confused is that a renamed USB-C

I found this
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?fnode=8b

USB c to USB I can use this for what I want to do?

if not renamed thunderbolt 3 to USB would be what I should look for?
Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB-C form factor.

Apple calls them Thunderbolt 3 ports because that's the highest standard they support in the MacBook Pro, but they are also USB-C ports.

While the port on the MacBook is just USB-C, no Thunderbolt 3.

That adapter does what you need.

Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB-C form factor.

Apple calls them Thunderbolt 3 ports because that’s the highest standard they support in the MacBook Pro, but they are also USB-C ports.

While the port on the MacBook is just USB-C, no Thunderbolt 3.

That adapter does what you need.

thanks

Xeno_V

I have a 2011 Macbook air running El Capitan.

When I am resuming my laptop from sleep there's a very high chance that my built-in camera won't be working. This was happening very rarely with previous versions of OSX and lately it has been happening a lot for some reason.

Is there some permanent way to fix this? I am sick of using Terminal to reset the camera every time this happens.

what is the best spyware or virus detector I need to scan my MacBook

I clicked on something I thought was my flash update it was some advance Mac cleaner and beeline something so it installed 2 things I could see but it might have installed things I cannot see

corn_fest

what is the best spyware or virus detector I need to scan my MacBook

I clicked on something I thought was my flash update it was some advance Mac cleaner and beeline something so it installed 2 things I could see but it might have installed things I cannot see

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/
Only decent one in my experience, used to use it all the time at work to remove malware people had installed in similar circumstances.

Anyone have a LG Ultrafine 5K display?

Mine has some pretty bad light bleeding issues, only visible on very dark screens of course.. but the viewing angle and light bleeding are really bad. It is especially noticeable because the Macbook Pro's screen doesn't have these issues at all.

I can't find any discussion regarding this, so would love to know if it's just me..

Edit: Haha, it is impossible to run Diablo 3 well on this MBP/display. (The Mac version at least)

So I I'm new to Macs (besides iPhone). I'm setting up a new Macbook Pro. I have a well-worn Apple ID, that part is fine.

I'm at the "set up Computer Account" part (the part that asks for full name, account name, and create passwords). Is this anything permanently set in stone or otherwise attached to my Apple ID or can I change it later? Is this the same as the meaningless names you give the computer/drive when you format windows that you can always change later?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I I'm new to Macs (besides iPhone). I'm setting up a new Macbook Pro. I have a well-worn Apple ID, that part is fine.

I'm at the "set up Computer Account" part (the part that asks for full name, account name, and create passwords). Is this anything permanently set in stone or otherwise attached to my Apple ID or can I change it later? Is this the same as the meaningless names you give the computer/drive when you format windows that you can always change later?
The only thing that's really locked and requires a lot of fucking around to change is the user account name. Everything else can be changed. So make the user name something obvious, like your name, or the username you like to use the most "MomoPufflet", or the beginning part of your email. By default it just makes it your real name after you enter it. So change it to whatever you want. I mean it isn't even important anyway. That name will only ever be used as the folder location and login name. It's all local to your machine. Make it whatever you would make your username on a Windows machine if you have one. (Makes it easier)

It's all local to your machine. Make it whatever you would make your username on a Windows machine if you have one. (Makes it easier)

Ahh ok, that's mainly what I was getting at (and hoping for). I just didn't want to breeze through it and find out later it was permanently linking the entered username online to my Apple ID or something annoying. Thanks for the explanation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ahh ok, that's mainly what I was getting at (and hoping for). I just didn't want to breeze through it and find out later it was permanently linking the entered username online to my Apple ID or something annoying. Thanks for the explanation.
You can detach (log out) your iCloud/Apple ID at any time or attach a different one if you need. That stuff determines what data to sync to your apps. All that's permanent is your user account name, and even that can be renamed with Terminal magic, though links might break, it's best to just be certain from the start.

No Apple sites will ever care what your user name is. Just your Apple ID. Apple does let you now log in to your computer with your Apple ID if you want. Or use it instead of your user name in confirmation dialogs. So really it just boils down to what the folder where your stuff will be named.

Can someone please tell me why my New MacBook has this issue where if Im watching a vid in fullscreen online, it randomly "flashes" for a quick second? Like it's hard to describe but it looks like some kind of bug. I dont know if it's Safari or just the Mac

And also, when I watch vids fullscreen on VLC or Quicktime, if I change the volume, the screen gets brighter a bit for no reason... I never had these issues with my old Mac

And how concerned should I be that my new Mac has kicked its fans into overdrive at least once when doing something casual like web browsing? Mind you I had it on my bed, but I dont see that Im blocking any vents

Nobody on Gaf has a LG Ultrafine 5K Display? Please respond if you do! I'm on my second one, which also suffers extreme light bleeding issues. Not acceptable.. I would like to speak with another Ultrafine owner since Apple won't provide any support. (Just exchanges)

Nobody on Gaf has a LG Ultrafine 5K Display? Please respond if you do! I'm on my second one, which also suffers extreme light bleeding issues. Not acceptable.. I would like to speak with another Ultrafine owner since Apple won't provide any support. (Just exchanges)

Sorry to hear about that. A friend of mine has the LG 5k Display, but hasn't mentioned anything about light bleed issues. Though he's not the kind of person who would probably notice.

I'm still waiting for my Touch Bar MBP to be replaced by Apple. It's fortunate I hadn't sold my old Mac Pro yet or I wouldn't have a work machine.

Sorry to hear about that. A friend of mine has the LG 5k Display, but hasn't mentioned anything about light bleed issues. Though he's not the kind of person who would probably notice.

I'm still waiting for my Touch Bar MBP to be replaced by Apple. It's fortunate I hadn't sold my old Mac Pro yet or I wouldn't have a work machine.

If you can, you should ask him to look at the default black background screensaver. It is very easy to notice.

Sorry to hear about your Pro... I like the Touch bar Mac, but even with the maxed out configuration I feel so underwhelmed about the performance. I even had the Touch Bar become unresponsive and choppy at some point, feels bad.

Deku Tree

So help me Mac people: Should I get a touch bar MacBookPro or wait for iPad Pro update and go full iPad Pro laptop replacement mode for on the go use?

Deku Tree

What do you do, on the go?

Most of the things I do on the go can be easily done on an iPad. And the iPad is much better for reading 📖.

Some things would be much harder to do on an iPad like editing large documents.

Now the rumor is that the iPad updates might not come until the second half of 2017. Rip.

Should I buy a touch bar MacBookPro or buy an iPad from last year? Can't decide..

jts

...hate me...
Sierra thread doesn’t have much traction so I’ll ask here.

My MacBook Pro (retina 2014) with the latest update, has been having an odd behaviour.

Basically even if I’m just light browsing (couple of tabs) it warms up and spins the fans, and eats up the battery like there’s no tomorrow.

Then when it reaches critical battery it chills down at every level. Cools down, fans stop, battery stops dropping and holds for quite a while. Takes longer to go from 5 to 3% than from 20 to 5.

Happened twice in a row, with a restart in-between.

There’s this “recentsd” process I see in activity monitor using a whooping 50+GB of memory (compressed). Possible culprit?
Seriously, what the hell is this:

6J6bgaC.png

3kWt0g4.png

I’ve killed that process but it comes back with a vengeance.

Starting to get pretty annoyed at Sierra.

Deku Tree

When is Apple gonna dump the USB 2-3 end cable in their iOS devices? The way it is right now if you buy the latest iOS device and the latest Mac laptop then you can't plug them into each other without buying an adaptor cable. I can't remember another time when that was the situation.

Why not just change the lightening cables in iOS deivces to have USB C ends on them and sell a whole new line of power plugs for them?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When is Apple gonna dump the USB 2-3 end cable in their iOS devices? The way it is right now if you buy the latest iOS device and the latest Mac laptop then you can't plug them into each other without buying an adaptor cable. I can't remember another time when that was the situation.

Why not just change the lightening cables in iOS deivces to have USB C ends on them and sell a whole new line of power plugs for them?
Their official answer is "audio out is best over Lightning". Whether that's bullshit or not I dunno. I do know that when my brother plugged his iPhone into my car via Sync he said the audio was terrible compared to what he usually hears, but I never hear problems when I do BlueTooth. So I don't know. Maybe there's truth? Maybe it's a manufactured problem. But I agree. I'd rather they fix wireless syncing to be all cloud based and in real-time as I go throughout the day and just get rid of the port all together and switch to a magnetic or induction based charging only solution. Might as well at this point.

jts

...hate me...

Apple already sells USB-C to Lightning cables.

Including them now in the box with every iPhone would cater to a tiny, tiny percentage of their iPhone users.

Their official answer is "audio out is best over Lightning". Whether that's bullshit or not I dunno. I do know that when my brother plugged his iPhone into my car via Sync he said the audio was terrible compared to what he usually hears, but I never hear problems when I do BlueTooth. So I don't know. Maybe there's truth? Maybe it's a manufactured problem. But I agree. I'd rather they fix wireless syncing to be all cloud based and in real-time as I go throughout the day and just get rid of the port all together and switch to a magnetic or induction based charging only solution. Might as well at this point.

He’s just asking about the USB end. I don’t even think USB-C would fit the current iPhones. USB-C male is basically as large as a Lightning female mount. Lightning still wins in compactness.

Deku Tree

Can you stick something non-confidential on the internet and fuck around with it on an iPad in an Apple store to see how good/bad/awful you find it?

I have done that with my co-workers iPad Pro. It is not as good as having a laptop but it's usable.

Everything I tested out was do-able. Ok, not bad or awful.

Not sure if I can do things like Transfer a PDF or MS Office file to a USB thumb drive with an iPad Pro.

Not sure if I would end up also carrying a laptop with me "just in case" which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm just not 100% sure that I wouldn't end up giving up on making the extra effort to only use an iPad.

Also with the new Mac Laptops only have thunderbolt 3/usbC ports but everyone still uses the USB 2-3 port. So you still need a USB dongle just incase you need to transfer a file.

Not sure if I can do things like Transfer a PDF or MS Office file to a USB thumb drive with an iPad Pro.

Pretty sure you can't. The USB3 Camera Kit dongle lets you do a bunch of neat stuff (USB audio devices, ethernet), but I don't think you can write to anything with it— someone else may know. I can try it out the next time I have one at work (we use them to give iPods ethernet), but that might not be for a few weeks.

Between e-mail, iMessage, Air Drop, SFTP/SCP, various cloud file services, I don't have too much trouble getting files off my iPhone (my only iOS device), but I basically always have access to Mac and Linux computers/servers. I almost never use thumb drives except to install operating systems.

Water

Most of the things I do on the go can be easily done on an iPad. And the iPad is much better for reading 📖.

Some things would be much harder to do on an iPad like editing large documents.

Now the rumor is that the iPad updates might not come until the second half of 2017. Rip.

Should I buy a touch bar MacBookPro or buy an iPad from last year? Can't decide..
I used to be all about trying to optimize and make my hardware + software solutions as elegant as possible, no matter how much I needed to work to make it happen. For instance, if I knew tablet hardware technically should be enough for what I plan to do, I would seriously consider it no matter how much hacking and configuring it meant, as long as it would give me a more compact device to carry. I would take the risk of incompatibility and reliability issues. But no more.

If you need to do serious work on the device even 10% of the time, and you can't have two devices, just get the laptop. It's not hard to carry, and you'll never need to worry if the tablet and whatever software you have rigged on it will be sufficient.

Deku Tree

^ thanks! Yeah the laptop would be the simplest option that will always just work no question.

Pretty sure you can't. The USB3 Camera Kit dongle lets you do a bunch of neat stuff (USB audio devices, ethernet), but I don't think you can write to anything with it— someone else may know. I can try it out the next time I have one at work (we use them to give iPods ethernet), but that might not be for a few weeks.

Between e-mail, iMessage, Air Drop, SFTP/SCP, various cloud file services, I don't have too much trouble getting files off my iPhone (my only iOS device), but I basically always have access to Mac and Linux computers/servers. I almost never use thumb drives except to install operating systems.

Oh I just realized yes you can't transfer to a USB drive from and iOS device. Apple must have it disabled somehow.

But you can buy a wifi USB thumb drive and that will transfer to and from an iOS device wirelessly. You may need to be in a wifi network though.

This is getting complicated.

FWIW, I bought an 11" MacBook Air at the end of 2011 because, while an iPad greatly appealed to me, I wouldn't be able to get any work done on it because I need VIM and Photoshop. A great SSH client (like Prompt) ubiquitous networking and a full BT keyboard would have provided the former, but at that point...

Fuchsdh

Honestly they just need to add a USB-C port to the iPads if they're serious about making them machines to kill laptops for most people. I don't the lack of a traditional file system is a major hindrance, iOS organizes things differently and stuff like Dropbox and iCloud Drive expose as much as needed. Better app extension frameworks are probably the other crucial feature.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He’s just asking about the USB end. I don’t even think USB-C would fit the current iPhones. USB-C male is basically as large as a Lightning female mount. Lightning still wins in compactness.
I'm sure they make double-ended connectors. One end would fit into the phone and the other the computer. The smaller end is the same size as the Lightning end. The cable would just be two of those.

Problem is if they keep Lightning and start giving out the USB-C cables with them, people will get confused and occasionally try to plug the wrong end into the wrong device because of how similar they are.

They really should have stuck with 30-pin until USB-C was in development then worked with Intel to make it directly into the phone and skip over Lightning all together.

But really, let's just drop cables all together (Is it altogether? I never know!) and jump to wireless charging with optional mag-safe style connectors for direct connections. If they got off their asses and made iTunes syncing work right and had everything in the cloud it'd be great. I dream of being able to play my music on my day at work and having the play counts and last play time synced right up to iCloud and pulled down to my MacBook at home even if iTunes isn't running so when I load it up, my playlists (Which are ALL pretty much Smart Playlists based on all that metadata like play counts, ratings and last played stuff.) are already up to date. It's not that hard to sync that metadata over iCloud and create a daemon on the Mac end for updating the library database without having to open iTunes. The American dream is to never have to open iTunes again.

So I am planning to soon buy a non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro to replace a 6+ year old machine, and while more RAM and a bigger SSD are no brainers, choosing a processor has proved to be a more difficult decision. I even went to Intel's site to compare the two models available in the MacBook Escape, found very few actual differences, and left even more confused. The differences are (i5 vs. i7):
  • Processor Base Frequency: 2.0 vs. 2.4 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency: 3.1 vs. 3.4 GHz
  • Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency: 1.0 vs. 1.05 GHz
My question is, what is the practical benefit, if any, of upgrading to the i7 in this model? What activities would a faster CPU noticeably benefit, and what is the speed difference in layman's terms of the two processors? Would the i7 noticeably handle day-to-day activities and maybe some occasional gaming significantly better than another? Is 2.0 GHz as pathetically slow as it sounds?

Thank you to anyone who has thoughts on this.

Top Bottom