• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

praise to Mac Jesus! i fixed my 2011 MBP!

a few weeks back i became quite frisky at work and spilled a sizable amount of Green Machine all over the trackpad of my freshly out-of-warranty MBP. i cleaned it up as much as i could, but it was obvious that some of the juice managed to get through the cracks and probably onto the internals of the device. the mouse jumped and clicked at random. using the Live View in BetterTouchTools confirmed that some of the traces in the trackpad were shorted by the juice, causing the phantom movements and clicks. i was quoted $200 at the Genius bar to get it fixed, which i declined considering a replacement trackpad is roughly half that cost.

after waiting a week for a new trackpad to come in, it turns out i didn't even need it. first, a big Fuck You to Apple for the tri-wing screws for the battery. i could've had this cleaned a week ago if Apple just bothered to use a more traditional screw to secure the battery.

first observation: after a year of use, there is a disgusting amount of dead skin/white powder on the top side of the battery. actually, depending on whether you've ever opened the underside of your MBP before, you're likely to find a lot of dead skin and dust on the underside aluminum shell as well. i cleaned that up with rubbing alcohol and compressed air.

the Green Machine leaked pretty far inside - there was sticky residue along the sides of the trackpad cutout, on the topside of the battery and even to the middle of the trackpad where the connector lays. if Apple didn't design the trackpad into a separate 'chamber' of the chasis, i would've shorted my motherboard easily. thank you, engineers.

the trackpad itself appears to be sealed and impervious to this type of liquid damage, though. the circuitry that measures the touch input is glued to the glass on the top and a metal plate on the bottom. its rigid and has zero flex. while there are cutouts on the metal plate that exposes some of the circuitry, it's all coated in a brown plastic and seems like it'd be somewhat resistant to the type of spill i made.

i took 90% alcohol wipes and cleaned the areas the juice reached. when i reconnected it, there was zero improvement. i disassembled everything again, except this time i primarily used q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol to attack every potential area where juice could've seeped in - i soaked each edge of the trackpad, the metal cutouts and the connector and cable in rubbing alcohol multiple times. THAT seemed to do the trick, and the laptop's been running for nearly a full day without any phantom movements or clicks. success! bonus - the clicking action on the trackpad now feels as smooth and even as it did when i first bought the laptop.

now i have to decide whether to keep the extra trackpad as an insurance or to return it...

I have a 2010 top case coming in... (Used a Magic Eraser to clean up my keyboard, I guess it wasn't dry enough)

Where did you get a tri wing screw driver?

Azzurri

Gold Member
Has anyone bought the Non Retina MBP? I'm thinking of picking one up, with the upgraded resolution, and was wondering how games run like Skyrim, BF3, and SWTOR and mostly other MMO's?

ShadiWulf

don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but anyone with the new 13in Macbook air who has Windows installed on it, could you try running the PSO2 benchmark and post how it performs?

http://cc.pso2.jp/PSO2_CC.zip

I read that PSO2 runs just fine on the 2011 Macbook air, but I'm curious to see how performance is increased with the HD4000 chipset. I'll probably go post this in the PSO2 thread too

if you need to change the settings, they are translated here http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-the-character-creator-demo-is-up-plus-mini-guide/

njean777

Has anyone bought the Non Retina MBP? I'm thinking of picking one up, with the upgraded resolution, and was wondering how games run like Skyrim, BF3, and SWTOR and mostly other MMO's?

I purchased a refurbished 15in Wednesday since last gens went all the way down to 1359 from 1699. But the regular 15in will run games better then the Retina due to not having such a high resolution, at least the 2199 version will be better for games then both the retina macbooks.

Circle T

I purchased a refurbished 15in Wednesday since last gens went all the way down to 1359 from 1699. But the regular 15in will run games better then the Retina due to not having such a high resolution, at least the 2199 version will be better for games then both the retina macbooks.

You don't have to run game at full resolution, though. The MBP-Rs will be the same as the regular MBPs when run at the same resolution. You can just run games at 1440x900 on the MBP-R, and get a perfectly pixel-doubled image, so it should look fine.

njean777

You don't have to run game at full resolution, though. The MBP-Rs will be the same as the regular MBPs when run at the same resolution. You can just run games at 1440x900 on the MBP-R, and get a perfectly pixel-doubled image, so it should look fine.

That is true, but I would rather run games at full native resolution. What is the point of having a retina display and not being able to fully use it on everything? I just don't see the point on wasting the money on that, when you can put two HD's in the regular macbook pro and still have the SSD performance of the Retina without spending that much on a computer that does not have user replaceable parts and that cannot run games at its native res. If you dont want to run games then by all means get the retina, but if you want to run more then just Diablo and older games I do not suggest getting the retina.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My plan as of now is to get a retina mac (for my first ever Mac) at the end of the year. I'm hoping the rumors of a 13" model are true, as that would be my go-to.

I'll need you guys in the thread to help me get re-acquainted. Haven't used a Mac since high school.

One of the things about using an 11" MBA for the past two years is that the 15" Pros now looks MASSIVE to me. The retina model is very sexy thin and light but it still seems like a beast to lug around size-wise. If you're looking for a nice compromise between portability and screen real estate 13" seems like the sweet spot.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
One of the things about using an 11" MBA for the past two years is that the 15" Pros now looks MASSIVE to me. The retina model is very sexy thin and light but it still seems like a beast to lug around size-wise. If you're looking for a nice compromise between portability and screen real estate 13" seems like the sweet spot.

A friend has the 17" pro. I've been using a netbook and iPad for like 2 years now. That 17" is MASSIVE. So heavy too. :p

Zapages

My professor/mentor told me that the new retina Macs could be a good investment for my research. They seem a tad expensive ie. being about 3000+ dollars if I go for the 768 GB hard drive and 16 GB of Ram...

so are there any discounts for Macs in additional to the school discounts.

Also how easy is it to run Windows and OS X something parallel?

Do these come with DVD burner in them or do you need get it separately?

The pro for the mac book is that:
7 hours of battery life.
Does it stay cool not try to burn me?
How is flash memory versus regular memory
Plus I heard that i can install windows on top of it.

My 4 year old asus dies in about 15 minutes - bad battery. :(
I do a lot of 3d Modeling of proteins and such. I need a good laptop. My current laptop is good for now and work fine. Although it gets really hot. :( Then sometimes it shuts down from over heating and takes about a good 10 to 15 minutes to get back up a running. :\ So it might be dieing.

Although its been good so far.

Circle T

That is true, but I would rather run games at full native resolution. What is the point of having a retina display and not being able to fully use it on everything? I just don't see the point on wasting the money on that, when you can put two HD's in the regular macbook pro and still have the SSD performance of the Retina without spending that much on a computer that does not have user replaceable parts and that cannot run games at its native res. If you dont want to run games then by all means get the retina, but if you want to run more then just Diablo and older games I do not suggest getting the retina.

You answered your own question. Not everyone needs, or cares to, run games at full res. Plus, I don't think many people are buying laptops, especially MBPs, with gaming as their primary objective. You have to go into a purchase like that knowing that there are limitations.

JackEtc

God, I check the Apple site/the package tracking app on my phone like everyone 10 minutes, expecting my MBP-R to change to shipped, even though I know it isn't going to. This is going to be such a long two weeks.......

tinov.png

bionic77

My current laptop is the 15" MBP and it IS massive compared to the Airs. Especially the 11" Air which feels almost as portable as an iPad.

Amazing how fast technology evolves. I remember when I bought my first MBP 5 or 6 years ago I splurged and got the 15" Pro and at the time I was thinking how thin and portable it was.

Mairu

13" is the perfect size for a laptop :)

Can't wait for a retina 13" pro...

RBH

I'm interested to see what the potential price and weight of a retina 13" MBP would be in comparison to the current MBA models.

bionic77

13" is the perfect size for a laptop :)

Can't wait for a retina 13" pro...
There is a lot of debate between 11" and 13". I would rather carry the 11" around, but I hate the feel of typing on it. Doesn't help that the edges on the Air feel the edge of a broadsword.

Alchemy

Air was scheduled to be delivered on Monday, got here this morning. Wife signed for it so now I'll anxious all day waiting to get home and play with my new toy. Also got a new 42 inch IPS LED TV yesterday (my poor bank account) so I have plenty of toys now for the weekend.

Enco

There is a lot of debate between 11" and 13". I would rather carry the 11" around, but I hate the feel of typing on it. Doesn't help that the edges on the Air feel the edge of a broadsword.
11" is far too small in my opinion.

13" is great. Being used to a 24" desktop kinda makes it impossible for me to use a tiny 11". I want to be able to see without straining.

My plan as of now is to get a retina mac (for my first ever Mac) at the end of the year. I'm hoping the rumors of a 13" model are true, as that would be my go-to.

I'll need you guys in the thread to help me get re-acquainted. Haven't used a Mac since high school.

I hadn't used a Mac since an iMac with Mac OS 9 in school. I bought a Mac Mini last October and took to Lion like a duck to water after using nothing but Windows for the past 13 years. It's not as difficult as one would expect.

Ragus

Banned
Hello fellow Mac users. I have a question.

I'm using bootcamp and I have a big file on my OSX partition. Is there a way to see this file on my Windows 7 partition?

Ephemeris

I'm on the fence and I need someone to push me over.

Upgraded Air + iPad 3 (64)
or
Retina 15inch.

Pretty much come out to the same pricing. I have a 1st Gen iPad, so no iOS6 for me when it drops.

Don't want to wait for the Retina 13 :(

lupin23rd

Just came back from Future Shop with a base retina Pro!

Saw they had them online at the local store, so went to get one... it was reserved, and after waiting 40 minutes for the guy to show up (so I could see them unbox it, as the store had no displays), gave them my # and left.

Five minutes later, dude calls me while I'm about to pull out - other guy can't come today, so we can give this one to you. GET!

No impressions yet, but fuck it's really thin. I didn't like the idea of a 15" laptop, but I think I can warm up to this one.

For Canadian GAFers, check the store availability online or in the app - you might get lucky. Note though, that it appears they got ONE of each model (the $2200 one, and the $2800 one).

I'm interested to see what the potential price and weight of a retina 13" MBP would be in comparison to the current MBA models.
I'd look at whatever the difference is between the current 15" MBP and the MBP-R. The regular Pro is about 20-25% heavier so I imagine you could extrapolate from that how much lighter the retina version of the current 13" Pro would be.

11" is far too small in my opinion.

13" is great. Being used to a 24" desktop kinda makes it impossible for me to use a tiny 11". I want to be able to see without straining.
Everyone's different I guess. I bounce back and forth between my 27" iMac and 11" MBA without missing a beat.

Cheebo

Banned

or
Retina 15inch.

Pretty much come out to the same pricing. I have a 1st Gen iPad, so no iOS6 for me when it drops.

Any combo that involves iPad is a winning combo. I love the MacBook lie and OSX. But the iPad is by far the greatest device Apple makes IMO, go with the latest and greatest there if you can.

lupin23rd

Everyone's different I guess. I bounce back and forth between my 27" iMac and 11" MBA without missing a beat.

Gary, you have an iPad as well right? Assuming so, how do you divide up your time between the 11" and the iPad? Obviously the Air is better for your writing thing, but for everything else it feels like they'd be really similar devices in terms of chilling out on the couch. Just curious. The 11" is pretty slick IMO though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there still nothing out there that breaks down the performance of the new MacBook Air models (specifically the 13" model) with gaming? I'm not expecting any amazing results, but it would be nice to have some information. My searches haven't turned much up.

ruxtpin

Banned
You answered your own question. Not everyone needs, or cares to, run games at full res. Plus, I don't think many people are buying laptops, especially MBPs, with gaming as their primary objective. You have to go into a purchase like that knowing that there are limitations.

What if I'm getting a MBP-R and want to run a game like Skyrim and/or BF3. I'm not getting the system for gaming, but if I have the chance to run BF3 at a decent res - I'd rather play on the computer than on my 360. And I think it'd be cool to get into mods on Skyrim. I'm not expecting every bell and whistle checked when running the games, but would I get better image quality than the 360?

Alchemy

or
Retina 15inch.

What do you plan on using an iPad for?
What do you plan on using your computer for?

Answering those questions should be enough to figure it out.

Gary, you have an iPad as well right? Assuming so, how do you divide up your time between the 11" and the iPad? Obviously the Air is better for your writing thing, but for everything else it feels like they'd be really similar devices in terms of chilling out on the couch. Just curious. The 11" is pretty slick IMO though.
It's been a bit of a tug-of-war. I love my iPad for casual reading and just dicking around but there are often times I feel constrained by the OS if I want to do anything beyond that. So when the Air came out my iPad started gathering dust as the MBA offers almost exactly the same degree of portability with NO compromise on functionality. When the 3rd-gen iPad came out I kinda swung back to that, hypnotized by the display and elegance of the thing, but now I'm swinging back to the Air again as my main couch device.

The way it works now, the MBA is my go-to machine for couch surfing and teh socialize and is also what I take with me for work and travel, while the iPad mostly lives on my nightstand for reading and tooling around in bed at night and when I wake up. There's often a bit of overlap depending on my mood. They compliment each other well but if I had to pick just one it would be no contest, I'd take the MBA over the iPad in a heartbeat.

lupin23rd

Is there still nothing out there that breaks down the performance of the new MacBook Air models (specifically the 13" model) with gaming? I'm not expecting any amazing results, but it would be nice to have some information. My searches haven't turned much up.

When I was looking up this as well, most people seemed to say that they got "decent" or "acceptable" performance (and most people were talking about Diablo 3), although on lower settings. I don't play a lot of games, so I didn't really look too much deeper into it, and regardless, ended up getting the Retina 15" for other reasons.

Here's a link to how well the HD4000 card performs vs. some other cards on select PC titles, although NO references to an Air here and so YMMV dramatically.

There was a similar link I saw yesterday looking at Diablo 3 and Left For Dead 2.

PandaJones

Unconfirmed Member
UK Gaffers, how much do you think I can ask for my iMac?

24"
3.06GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
4GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GS W/512MB
1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE

I'm hoping I might be able to get £600 ... What do you think?

Alchemy

It's been a bit of a tug-of-war. I love my iPad for casual reading and just dicking around but there are often times I feel constrained by the OS if I want to do anything beyond that. So when the Air came out my iPad started gathering dust as the MBA offers almost exactly the same degree of portability with NO compromise on functionality. When the 3rd-gen iPad came out I kinda swung back to that, hypnotized by the display and elegance of the thing, but now I'm swinging back to the Air again as my main couch device.

The way it works now, the MBA is my go-to machine for couch surfing and teh socialize and is also what I take with me for work and travel, while the iPad mostly lives on my nightstand for reading and tooling around in bed at night and when I wake up. There's often a bit of overlap depending on my mood. They compliment each other well but if I had to pick just one it would be no contest, I'd take the MBA over the iPad in a heartbeat.

This is good to hear, I picked up an Air to be my mobile computer. I already have an iPad and love it for reading comics but generally am not a fan of the form factor or limitations with the OS. It needs to have a stand, but as a result the case I have for my iPad feels more important then the iPad itself. And the lack of flash is a bit killer because I find myself enjoying web browsing on my Bionic more then the iPad because it offers a web experience closer to a PC.

MrMephistoX

UK Gaffers, how much do you think I can ask for my iMac?

24"
3.06GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
4GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GS W/512MB
1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE

I'm hoping I might be able to get £600 ... What do you think?

I have that exact same model posted to craigslist for roughly the same amount.

armv

The 11" Air would be a winner for me if they managed to reduce some of that bezel and put a 16:10 display in there.

Circle T

What if I'm getting a MBP-R and want to run a game like Skyrim and/or BF3. I'm not getting the system for gaming, but if I have the chance to run BF3 at a decent res - I'd rather play on the computer than on my 360. And I think it'd be cool to get into mods on Skyrim. I'm not expecting every bell and whistle checked when running the games, but would I get better image quality than the 360?
I'm no seasoned pc gamer, but given the hardware, I would think that most games would run pretty well at 1440x900. This isn't a super high resolution, so it shouldn't be too taxing, and with it being exactly 1/4 the resolution, it would look pretty sharp with no need for weird interpolation. I've heard that BF3 is quite the powerhouse with its demands, but like you said, if you turn some effects down, at 1440x900 it should be playable. Skyrim should be about the same, if not slightly easier. All in all, the machine should be fine for games, as long as you don't expect miracles at 2880x1800.

-----

On a different note, Trent released a bunch of Nine Inch Nails wallpapers in MBP-R resolution. Should look quite nice....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nineinchnails/sets/72157630137235910/with/7376291364/

Top Bottom