• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

kaioshade

Thanks a lot its a pretty important question for me. Its crazy how fast integrated graphics have evolved recently.

Ran some quick opengl tests.

The 8600M GT is right on par with the HD3000 for Opengl performance. Quartz performance is Better on the HD3000. That said, the HD4000 is approximately 50% faster than the HD3000. So the HD4000 will exceed the 8600M GT

TUSR

Banned
Ran some quick opengl tests.

The 8600M GT is right on par with the HD3000 for Opengl performance. Quartz performance is Better on the HD3000. That said, the HD4000 is approximately 50% faster than the HD3000. So the HD4000 will exceed the 8600M GT

Thank you kind sir.

So the Macbook Air's integrated i7 Ivy Bridge graphics > My 2008 MBPs now.

holy hell.

Thank you kind sir.

So the Macbook Air's integrated i7 Ivy Bridge graphics > My 2008 MBPs now.

holy hell.

yeah IGPUs have made strides.

2006-2008 was different times for notebooks and gaming. Anyone remember the Asus N10? A NETBOOK that could game? whattt??

8400m GS and 8600m GT will go down in history as the worst graphic card failures ever produced. everyone was played. I had a 2000 dollar pc with 8600m in it. it sucked due to the problems with the die. horrible overheating.

TUSR

Banned

2006-2008 was different times for notebooks and gaming. Anyone remember the Asus N10? A NETBOOK that could game? whattt??

8400m GS and 8600m GT will go down in history as the worst graphic card failures ever produced. everyone was played. I had a 2000 dollar pc with 8600m in it. it sucked due to the problems with the die. horrible overheating.

nothing wrong with it hitting 90°C right...

haha...

Alchemy

The 8600M GT had issues overheating? Well that explains why my Inspiron melted after a few years of using it as my main gaming and work PC...

kaioshade

The 8600M GT had issues overheating? Well that explains why my Inspiron melted after a few years of using it as my main gaming and work PC...

The 8600M GT was also responsible for the Nvidia recall on the 2.2/2.4 GHz Macbook Pro recall program. Basically the chips got hot enough to desolder themselves from the logic board, giving the user a blank screen.

Dennis

Banned
GAF, do you know that feeling of wanting something but knowing deep down that you are being ripped off?

I really want to buy the Retina Display Macbook Pro with 2.7 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM and 768GB flash storage but it is the most ridiculously expensive laptop ever conceived by man.

I'm interested in upgrading to the rMBP, but I would need to sell my 2010 MBP first.
It has a 2.6 i7, 8GB Ram, and the high-res matte display.

I'm not sure how much it would go for though.

MrMephistoX

GAF, do you know that feeling of wanting something but knowing deep down that you are being ripped off?

I really want to buy the Retina Display Macbook Pro with 2.7 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM and 768GB flash storage but it is the most ridiculously expensive laptop ever conceived by man.

I know the feeling but knowing that I can just make due with my 2011 iMac and get similar performance makes me feel better. I've decided to get an air for school and leave the gaming to iMac and PS3.

Jobiensis

If it makes you feel better my XPS17 retailed for about 4.4k
5 years ago

I think I'll have to get one, hopefully the Win8 issues are addressed soon.

Alchemy

How do the specs compare to the Razor Blade?

Arcteryx

The 8600M GT was also responsible for the Nvidia recall on the 2.2/2.4 GHz Macbook Pro recall program. Basically the chips got hot enough to desolder themselves from the logic board, giving the user a blank screen.

Yea while under Applecare I went through 3 laptops due to the overheating. I think my current one is getting close to biting the dust, so the need for an upgrade is at hand.

Futureman

we have a Mac Mini at work that seems to have just crashed.

When you boot up, there's a gray screen with a flashing folder that has a question mark on it.

I see online to hold "Option" during start up to select my start up disk.

When I do this, it just brings up a WIFI select menu. I select our WIFI (though this machine is connected to ethernet), and then nothing happens.

I also see online to hold "C" during start up to bring up Utilities, but this does nothing.

Does anyone have a 2011 MBA and a 2012 MBA (13")?

How do they compare in terms of heat and fan noise?

I can't help you with the 11, but I have a 10 and now a 12. The fan noise is identical. Nothing's changed in how they're venting air on the Airs. Much like my 10, though, it doesn't come on unless I hit it hard with Diablo 3 or watch full screen flash videos. The fan sound on both is obnoxiously loud.

For me the 13 inch Air doesn't really make sense. I'm getting an Air as an ultraportable laptop and the 13 inch is still a decently large footprint that you might as well get a Mac Book Pro. Thickness and weight aren't as big an issue for me once you get up to that size, and the closer you get to 15 inches you might as well get the Next Gen Pro.

Couldn't disagree more. The difference in weight between the MBP and the 13inch Airs is huge. I barely notice the Air, and in terms of size it basically takes up the space of a magazine and doesnt weight much more. Obviously the 11 is even smaller, but the 13 hardly takes up much space in a bag or on a desk.

A MBP (including the retina) is not a replacement for an Air.

kaioshade

When you boot up, there's a gray screen with a flashing folder that has a question mark on it.

When I do this, it just brings up a WIFI select menu. I select our WIFI (though this machine is connected to ethernet), and then nothing happens.

I also see online to hold "C" during start up to bring up Utilities, but this does nothing.

More than likely your Hard Drive has bit the dust. Or otherwise the mac cannot load the OS, that could be due to a corruption.

Depending on the Mac Mini you have, you might have the AHT (apple Hardware test) built in. Hold down the D key until you get to the Screen, the run the test. It should report back with any problems. Otherwise you might have to boot from a known good installation and check stuff form there.

Zutroy

It's really not a rip off at all. Expensive certainly, but not a rip off.

Alchemy

I
A MBP (including the retina) is not a replacement for an Air.

Isn't the retina MBP only about a 1lb more, and then the only difference is that it doesn't taper? Weight for me isn't really that big a concern, I'm more worried about foot print when it comes to portability. But maybe my mind will change once I get extensive use out of my Air.

giga

One often unmentioned advantage of buyings macs are their amazing resell value. Since I pretty much baby my Mbp and didn't let it get one scratch, it only lost 10% of its value over a year later. Just sold a baseline 2011 13" Mbp for 950.

RBH

I'll be getting a 13" MBA with 8GB RAM, but I can't decide between 128GB SSD or 256.

I use about 150GB on my current laptop right now, but there's so much of it (videos, photos) that I could probably keep on an external hard drive since I won't need most of it on a given whim. $300 to upgrade from 128 to 256 is a bit tough to swallow as well.

On the other hand, I'm planning to use this as my primary computer for the next 4+ years, and having the 256 would be nice just for the piece of mind of not having to worry about storage issues.

Decisions, decisions........

kaioshade

I'll be getting a 13" MBA with 8GB RAM, but I can't decide between 128GB SSD or 256.

I use about 150GB on my current laptop right now, but there's so much of it (videos, photos) that I could probably keep on an external hard drive since I won't need most of it on a given whim. $300 to upgrade from 128 to 256 is a bit tough to swallow as well.

On the other hand, I'm planning to use this as my primary computer for the next 4+ years, and having the 256 would be nice just for the piece of mind of not having to worry about storage issues.

Decisions, decisions........

You can always drop a larger sad in there later.

Futureman

One often unmentioned advantage of buyings macs are their amazing resell value. Since I pretty much baby my Mbp and didn't let it get one scratch, it only lost 10% of its value over a year later. Just sold a baseline 2011 13" Mbp for 950.

I got fucked when they moved to Sandy Bridge. My ~$2,200 MBP from June 2010 sold for around ~$1,100 in August 2011.

TUSR

Banned

edit: beat like a dead horse

Isn't this a sign of a hard drive failure?

Futureman

Isn't this a sign of a hard drive failure?

probably. I'm taking it into the Apple Store tomorrow.

I wonder if it'll be a problem being 2 Macs in for my Genius Bar appointment?

I'm bringing my 27" iMac that has weird discoloration on the screen, and this Mac Mini which is from my work.

TUSR

Banned
probably. I'm taking it into the Apple Store tomorrow.

I wonder if it'll be a problem being 2 Macs in for my Genius Bar appointment?

I'm bringing my 27" iMac that has weird discoloration on the screen, and this Mac Mini which is from my work.

Customer service has always been top notch at apple stores. At least in Canada land.

I know recently my friends hard drive in his MBP made a clunk noise and the question mark came up.

Futureman

Fuck, how come? I looked on Ebay and my 2600 MBP is going for around 1200 :/

Sandy Bridge had just come out and dropped the value of the previous gen by a good bit.

I also think I just got unlucky on my auction which happens from time to time with eBay I guess. Just looked it up... my MBP before tax and after university discount was $2,179 and sold in August '11 (14 months after purchase) for $1,175.

I have around 100 all positive feedback so it wasn't that.

I was able to find a buyer for my 2010 Air so decided to upgrade. Got the 11" 128gb, should be a nice performance boost over my old 64gb SSD with 2gb RAM.

Also had a chance to check out the Pro Retina while I was in-store. Man that thing really is sexy. The display is indeed God-like and I was impressed by the size and weight, it's actually thinner and lighter than I expected. If I had to describe it I'd say it feels almost exactly half-way between the Air and the "old" MBP. And the design is sexy as hell. I really don't need that much computer but could feel myself weakening - good thing they were out of stock! :)

Ambitious

I never cared much about PC gaming and therefore have quite a lack of knowledge concerning hardware. Which quality and performance can I expect of the Witcher series on the Retina MBP?

edit: and Skyrim.

Does anyone in here have (or had) a MacBook early 2008 model? Got a friend that wants to sell me his for $150. Does it run Lion? Are there any known issues with that particular model? I've never owned a Mac before (only iPad, iPod, etc.).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was able to find a buyer for my 2010 Air so decided to upgrade. Got the 11" 128gb, should be a nice performance boost over my old 64gb SSD with 2gb RAM.

Also had a chance to check out the Pro Retina while I was in-store. Man that thing really is sexy. The display is indeed God-like and I was impressed by the size and weight, it's actually thinner and lighter than I expected. If I had to describe it I'd say it feels almost exactly half-way between the Air and the "old" MBP. And the design is sexy as hell. I really don't need that much computer but could feel myself weakening - good thing they were out of stock! :)

How do you find the 11" for comfort? Does it have a full sized keyboard and trackpad? I had a 13" MBA and I shied away from the 11 thinking it'd be too small, but it has basically the same res as the 13" mbp, and maybe with full screen mode and hiding the dock it'd be enough for general use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never cared much about PC gaming and therefore have quite a lack of knowledge concerning hardware. Which quality and performance can I expect of the Witcher series on the Retina MBP?

edit: and Skyrim.

Has it been benchmarked in bootcamp yet? I'd hold off until you know you can choose lower screen resolutions in windows and they don't look like shit. I don't think you'd be getting decent framerates from the witcher at 2880x1800

Ambitious

Has it been benchmarked in bootcamp yet? I'd hold off until you know you can choose lower screen resolutions in windows and they don't look like shit. I don't think you'd be getting decent framerates from the witcher at 2880x1800

Damn, sorry, forgot to mention that I was talking about 1440x900, not the full resolution.

RBH

Apple will bring a high-resolution Retina display to its 13-inch MacBook Pro with a product update set to launch this October, according to one insider.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI shared in a note with AppleInsider on Thursday that he expects Apple to ramp up production of a 13-inch next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display in September. That would allow the product to hit stores in early October, in time for the holiday shopping season.

Kuo was the first to indicate that Apple would retire its 17-inch MacBook Pro, and that the 15-inch next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display would be sold alongside the previous-generation MacBook Pro with lower-resolution display and thicker design. Both of those details proved true this week at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Apple has the "highest hopes" for the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, according to Kuo. But Apple was likely unable to unveil the new product at WWDC this week because of a low yield rate and greater assembly difficulty, he said.

Like the next-generation Retina display MacBook Pro, the 13-inch variety is expected to lack an optical disc drive and rely solely on solid-state flash memory storage. Kuo expects the screen to have a resolution of 2,560 by 1,600 pixels, and he said the 13-inch model will be slightly thinner than the 15-inch model, at 18 millimeters.

The next-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro is not expected to have discrete graphics like its 15-inch counterpart, but will instead rely on Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. Kuo also expects it to have an Intel Ivy Bridge processor with a clock speed greater than 2 gigahertz.

As for the just-released 15-inch Retina display MacBook Pro, Kuo said that Apple should have about 300,000 units of the next-generation notebook available to sell this month, a number that he called a "moderate" amount.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...aunch_13_retina_macbook_pro_by_early_oct.html

How do you find the 11" for comfort? Does it have a full sized keyboard and trackpad? I had a 13" MBA and I shied away from the 11 thinking it'd be too small, but it has basically the same res as the 13" mbp, and maybe with full screen mode and hiding the dock it'd be enough for general use.
I've always been perfectly happy with the Air, the keyboard and trackpad are great. I think the trackpad is maybe a little smaller than the 13"? Sometimes screen real estate is a bit of a squeeze, but I'm happy to trade that off against the portability of the unit, which is fantastic. Also, that's what Spaces are for :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, sorry, forgot to mention that I was talking about 1440x900, not the full resolution.

Which is why I asked about bootcamp. Does it support 1440x900? Othat case you should be ok - the 650m is a decent discrete GPU. It's not top of the line by any stretch though

JackEtc

So I just realized the MBP-R doesn't have the hole for the Kensington lock on it like the other MBPs. Kinda sucks since I'll be in a freshman dorm in college with quite an expensive laptop that's clearly going to be a hot item that not-so-great people might be looking to snatch.

Since the lock is no longer possible, what's the best thing I can do as far as anti-theft goes? Any particularly good hardware alternatives or anti-theft software?

MercuryLS

Banned
I just want to mention again that the 11" Air is the best laptop ever made. I've had mine for a year and I still <3 it so much. It will take a lot to upgrade (Retina MBP 11". Apple pls).

I just want to mention again that the 11" Air is the best laptop ever made. I've had mine for a year and I still <3 it so much. It will take a lot to upgrade (Retina MBP 11". Apple pls).
Agreed. Loved my 2010 model and I'm loving this one even more. For me it is the perfect portable computer. Can't wait for the retina panel to show up in the Air range!

MercuryLS

Banned
Agreed. Loved my 2010 model and I'm loving this one even more. For me it is the perfect portable computer. Can't wait for the retina panel to show up in the Air range!

I held out for the 2nd gen because of the backlit keyboard, it was so damn hard but worth it in the end. It's a feature that you really miss when you don't have it (especially to a hunt and peck typer like me). God, retina in an 11" form factor would be so damn amazing. I don't know if they'd be able to do it in a MBA chassis however, you'd need a much bigger battery to support it. I could see it happen in a next-gen MBP-style body where it's straight on the bottom and not wedge shaped.

I held out for the 2nd gen because of the backlit keyboard, it was so damn hard but worth it in the end. It's a feature that you really miss when you don't have it (especially to a hunt and peck typer like me). God, retina in an 11" form factor would be so damn amazing. I don't know if they'd be able to do it in a MBA chassis however, you'd need a much bigger battery to support it. I could see it happen in a next-gen MBP-style body where it's straight on the bottom and not wedge shaped.
Yeah we talked about this on the Tested podcast today. It doesn't seem like an 11" panel on the Air would be that difficult or costly to do considering it's only slightly larger than the iPad display but the real bottleneck is power consumption. I'm fairly confident they'll have it figured out by next year's refresh especially considering they've already made the leap into retina laptops.

Rengoku

Yeah we talked about this on the Tested podcast today. It doesn't seem like an 11" panel on the Air would be that difficult or costly to do considering it's only slightly larger than the iPad display but the real bottleneck is power consumption. I'm fairly confident they'll have it figured out by next year's refresh especially considering they've already made the leap into retina laptops.

Yeah, if Asus can make a 1080p 11" laptop, Apple can make a retina 11" mba for sure.

njean777

So I just realized the MBP-R doesn't have the hole for the Kensington lock on it like the other MBPs. Kinda sucks since I'll be in a freshman dorm in college with quite an expensive laptop that's clearly going to be a hot item that not-so-great people might be looking to snatch.

Since the lock is no longer possible, what's the best thing I can do as far as anti-theft goes? Any particularly good hardware alternatives or anti-theft software?

Prey is pretty decent, and Icloud has Find My Mac I believe also.

Tabris

I went to the Apple store to essentially feel the weight difference between the Air and Pro Retina. The Pro Retina is definitely heavier but it's not heavy enough to be a burden when hauling around everywhere on foot.

So I have decided to get the following (going to wait a couple weeks until it's available):

- MacBook Pro with Retina (base model)
- Cinema Thunderbolt Display
- Wireless Keyboard

Now I am just torn on what to get for a mouse. I played around with both the magic mouse and the wireless trackpad at the Apple store, and this may be due to being used to curved/comfortable mice on PC, but using both felt really uncomfortable.

What do you guys use for your mouse (except for laptop trackpad)?

Blackhead

Redarse
I went to the Apple store to essentially feel the weight difference between the Air and Pro Retina. The Pro Retina is definitely heavier but it's not heavy enough to be a burden when hauling around everywhere on foot.

So I have decided to get the following (going to wait a couple weeks until it's available):

- MacBook Pro with Retina (base model)
- Cinema Thunderbolt Display
- Wireless Keyboard

Now I am just torn on what to get for a mouse. I played around with both the magic mouse and the wireless trackpad at the Apple store, and this may be due to being used to curved/comfortable mice on PC, but using both felt really uncomfortable.

What do you guys use for your mouse (except for laptop trackpad)?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
praise to Mac Jesus! i fixed my 2011 MBP!

a few weeks back i became quite frisky at work and spilled a sizable amount of Green Machine all over the trackpad of my freshly out-of-warranty MBP. i cleaned it up as much as i could, but it was obvious that some of the juice managed to get through the cracks and probably onto the internals of the device. the mouse jumped and clicked at random. using the Live View in BetterTouchTools confirmed that some of the traces in the trackpad were shorted by the juice, causing the phantom movements and clicks. i was quoted $200 at the Genius bar to get it fixed, which i declined considering a replacement trackpad is roughly half that cost.

after waiting a week for a new trackpad to come in, it turns out i didn't even need it. first, a big Fuck You to Apple for the tri-wing screws for the battery. i could've had this cleaned a week ago if Apple just bothered to use a more traditional screw to secure the battery.

first observation: after a year of use, there is a disgusting amount of dead skin/white powder on the top side of the battery. actually, depending on whether you've ever opened the underside of your MBP before, you're likely to find a lot of dead skin and dust on the underside aluminum shell as well. i cleaned that up with rubbing alcohol and compressed air.

the Green Machine leaked pretty far inside - there was sticky residue along the sides of the trackpad cutout, on the topside of the battery and even to the middle of the trackpad where the connector lays. if Apple didn't design the trackpad into a separate 'chamber' of the chasis, i would've shorted my motherboard easily. thank you, engineers.

the trackpad itself appears to be sealed and impervious to this type of liquid damage, though. the circuitry that measures the touch input is glued to the glass on the top and a metal plate on the bottom. its rigid and has zero flex. while there are cutouts on the metal plate that exposes some of the circuitry, it's all coated in a brown plastic and seems like it'd be somewhat resistant to the type of spill i made.

i took 90% alcohol wipes and cleaned the areas the juice reached. when i reconnected it, there was zero improvement. i disassembled everything again, except this time i primarily used q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol to attack every potential area where juice could've seeped in - i soaked each edge of the trackpad, the metal cutouts and the connector and cable in rubbing alcohol multiple times. THAT seemed to do the trick, and the laptop's been running for nearly a full day without any phantom movements or clicks. success! bonus - the clicking action on the trackpad now feels as smooth and even as it did when i first bought the laptop.

now i have to decide whether to keep the extra trackpad as an insurance or to return it...

Top Bottom